Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Jan 26, 2012
Old Disgraced Person

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Oct 9, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

3

I wonder who is going to have the guts to rid Brighton of that homosexual statue and it's controversy. He will be gone some morning, mark my words. We are the laughing stock of the State, thanks to the corrupt City council and it's Gay influence on the Brighton Community. At least one true man had the courage to speak up, Thanks Dennis.
Carol from Brighton MI

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Dennis, I am going to respond to your quote by breaking it down into parts so I can address all you have to say:
1. In what way does the sculpture get connected with homosexuality? Are you a bit insecure in your own sexuality and that is why you interpret the sculpture that way? I don't see the connection.
2. Is this a threat? I do not think you want to go there. It will only get you put in jail. If it does come up missing, the police will no where to investigat first thanks to your buddy, BWP in the Gay Marriage in Brighton thread mentioning your last name as being Nauss.
3. Yes, there are things that I would have liked to see done differently in town, but all in all, I say the changes worked out nicely as what was once a nearly dead downtown area has begun to thrive. We needed something to attract people to Brighton to come spend money supporting our local businesses. I would say that judging by how many people you see on the streets during our festivals and on weekends, it has worked.
When I sit down by the mill pond and listen to remarks made by people passing by the sculpture I have not heard one person say that the sculpture needed to be removed. By the amount of signatures on the petition to keep the sculpture where it is, I would say it has become apparent that your way of thinking is in the minority. I think it is actually growing on people.
4. Then you speak of courage. Courage is an action taken unselfishly for good, not due to meanness. It does not take courage to talk trash.
You would have gotten more respect for your opinion if you would have left the ignorant "homosexual" remarks out of your posting. Just so your twisted little mind does not get too wound up, because I can guess what you are thinking, no, I am not a homosexual. I am just a person who does not like to see ignorant trash go unchecked. It just shows that you are a "hater." You are someone who fears and hates anyone that is not just like yourself. Sorry to say, but there are many among us in the Brighton area who are not fearful of those who are different from ourselves. Even many of those who disagree with the other lifestyles live and let live without hating. Again, your fears are overriding common sense. You do not have to give up your way of thinking not matter how twisted it is for that is your right, but your presentation lacks class.
Oh, and I would like to thank those of you who, like Dennis, had the "courage" to speak up and caused the controversy in the first place. It looks like your aggressively mean attack backfired. Without you the art would never have the kind of attention it has received. It really saved a lot of advertising money.
My conclusion on what you have written is as follows:

If you want to have stronger credibility in matters, get involved in the process, but leave your personal insecurities out of what you have to say and stick to the subject.
My personal opinion about the sculpture controversy: For one, if the artist had intended for any one part of the work to stand out such as the genitals, the work would have been designed to draw your eye right to that part of it. Obviously it was not the artist’s intention as the poor thing is practically a eunuch. There is a problem with those of you who focused on it.
Secondly, if you go to the Louvre, the Vatican or any church for that matter, you will see a lot more detailed views of the genitals than what is shown on this work.
Third: This is a good lesson for everyone to learn the difference between pornographic nakedness and nudity in art. I do not see where the work projects any sexual aura or perverse shock effects. A little education USUALLY dismisses ignorance.
These are only the humble opinions of one person ... me. I just felt that Dennis' opinion needed a rebuttal so that anyone reading this does not begin to believe that all of us folks around Brighton are all small-minded people.
JHC

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Oct 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Seems to me that you pass judgement freely around town Miss Humble Pie. It is a fact that Communism starts with, "Everything wrong is right, Everything right is wrong." I don't recollect anyone asking or wanting for a piece of art work that depicts nudity. I too have a opinion. Let God sort out the queers in Brighton later. By the way, grab a number.
HPQ

Holly, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Oct 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

No wonder Brighton has the reputation of that of a whacko christian KKK shelter with the thoughts of the OP here being echoed by other nutjobs in Livingston County
STP

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 11, 2010
 
Megga ditto's brother. Right on!
Carol from Brighton MI

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The constitution protects everyone from the likes of you. Your use of religion to try to justify your sick hate and racism will not work with mainstream "normal people."

As far as you’re “not recollecting anyone wanting a piece of art work that depicts nudity”, there are loads of signatures on a petition which was presented in defense of keeping the sculpture. I hope that clears up your foggy recollection issues. There were a lot more of those that signed the petition than you narrow-minded few.
STP

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 12, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Carol from Brighton MI wrote:
The constitution protects everyone from the likes of you. Your use of religion to try to justify your sick hate and racism will not work with mainstream "normal people."
As far as you’re “not recollecting anyone wanting a piece of art work that depicts nudity”, there are loads of signatures on a petition which was presented in defense of keeping the sculpture. I hope that clears up your foggy recollection issues. There were a lot more of those that signed the petition than you narrow-minded few.
Yes, the truth has cleared up your rampage on being the expert on Constitutional rites. As far as loads of signatures on paper, probably all bogus to encourage having more penis statues for the homosexuals in this area. Just check out the sex offender list in this area, along with registed Communists. Maybe the City council should have their backgrounds checked. Just think, If everyone turns gay, it will be the end of the human race. Enjoy your phalic art.
Bugsy

Holly, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 12, 2010
 
rites?
Carol from Brighton MI

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 12, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

First of all, what does homosexuality have to do with the sex offender list? Secondly, people do not "turn gay" nor do they go recruiting others to "turn gay." You are really ignorant and paranoid. I bet most sexual predators are insecure idiots like you.

You guys must get together and feed each other’s fears until you work yourselves into hate frenzies.

The more you open your mouths the more your ignorance shows which in turn makes you lose what little credibility you may had, if there was any at all.
Marisa

Howell, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 14, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I have run across this blog and find it amusing. I propose that a statue be commisioned for the Mill Pond area which ARTFULLY shows a woman with a open vagina to quell some women with possible penis envy in the area. After all, equal space/rights for all. By the way, when a person resorts to name calling in a response, it shows they have lost their steam.
Carol from Brighton MI

Detroit, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 15, 2010
 

Judged:

3

3

1

That is the very point here. There is a difference between nudity in art and nakedness in pornography.

The male sculpture was not posed in a blatant or graphic way. He is just simply standing and happens to be nude. The artist barely insinuates the genitals. It is not like the work screamed out penis.

Your suggestion of an open vagina would lean towards pornographic by anyones standards, however, I think that a tastefully posed nude of a woman would do just fine. If you look throughout history, art has never dipicted a female nude with her "vagina open" so it would not be "ARTFULLY" done.

There is a difference between what you see at the DIA and what you see in the magazines you must read. You just have to try to make it look negative by trying to connect it with something shocking. Lame.

Yeah, you sure showed me.
Admirer

Utica, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Carol from Brighton MI wrote:
That is the very point here. There is a difference between nudity in art and nakedness in pornography.
The male sculpture was not posed in a blatant or graphic way. He is just simply standing and happens to be nude. The artist barely insinuates the genitals. It is not like the work screamed out penis.
Your suggestion of an open vagina would lean towards pornographic by anyones standards, however, I think that a tastefully posed nude of a woman would do just fine. If you look throughout history, art has never dipicted a female nude with her "vagina open" so it would not be "ARTFULLY" done.
There is a difference between what you see at the DIA and what you see in the magazines you must read. You just have to try to make it look negative by trying to connect it with something shocking. Lame.
Yeah, you sure showed me.
By the way, a huge sculpture of YOUR ta-ta's is something all men would admire in Mill pond town. Just a compliment is all.
sofa king phunny

Brighton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Aug 12, 2011
 
I think what people see in any given object reflects on their own way of thinking. Ten people could look at one object and recharge see something different I personally think the statue is poorly done..
concerned

Mears, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 8, 2011
 
sofa king phunny wrote:
I think what people see in any given object reflects on their own way of thinking. Ten people could look at one object and recharge see something different I personally think the statue is poorly done..
Why?
Stopwhining

Northville, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 2, 2011
 
You can see this statue causes all types of hell. The City has chosen to put this in the middle of the town close to where children play. The City Of Brighton City Council does not care what the public thinks or it would have never been in the City Of Brighton
What About it is Gay

Shanghai, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 19, 2012
 
That statue in no way relates to homosexuals. What about it screams 'homo' at you? It's a naked man- it's not as though there are two naked men right next to each other kissing, is it? I agree, that would be inappropriate.
I also think, though, that a naked man and woman next to each other kissing would be inappropriate as well. Yes, maybe the statue's placement wasn't thought out well, seeing as it is near children, but that doesn't suggest anything about homosexuals.
miles

Brighton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 26, 2012
 
What About it is Gay wrote:
That statue in no way relates to homosexuals. What about it screams 'homo' at you? It's a naked man- it's not as though there are two naked men right next to each other kissing, is it? I agree, that would be inappropriate.
I also think, though, that a naked man and woman next to each other kissing would be inappropriate as well. Yes, maybe the statue's placement wasn't thought out well, seeing as it is near children, but that doesn't suggest anything about homosexuals.
I can tell you are a peter puffer!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brighton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
desperate for advice. (Jul '12) Aug 18 Jonny Links 8
Kimberly Louiselle ?? Murder unsolved. Can you ... (Oct '10) Aug 14 Christopher CRDL 82
Judge Brian MacKenzie (Oct '07) Aug 11 angie 921
Mich. Man Charged With Pimping Daughter (Sep '06) Aug 5 merv the perv 97
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
Perlberg best pick in 42nd GOP race Jul '14 GeorgeB 1
Great-grandma: Car like winning lottery Jul '14 Rescue Mommy 2

Search the Brighton Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Brighton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Brighton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Brighton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brighton
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••