First Prev
of 5
Next Last
stardust

San Diego, CA

#84 Mar 15, 2012
Mike Mulligan wrote:
You should hear the noise coming from a operating main condenser. There is a lot of reasons fro it. It is a lot of vibration...
If we get the feed pumps to trip...that be that plate covering up the condenser suction.
How about the plate getting sucked into the condensate pumps...it gets shredded up. You bypassing the condemins at full power? The metal pieces shredding up the condemns, goes to the feed pumps, shreds the feed pumps up...into the vessel. Then the pieces shred the fuel pins and they releasing radioactivity...
That is one tea-leaf reading I do not wish to see!

But there were some comments to this VTDigger story that kinda freaked me:
Wow…I never realized the cooling problems were so great…that makes me realize something…the vents they have placed in case the reactor overheats just vent the raw steam full of strontium right into the air…unmonitored!!! Now where is the American Lung Association when you need them?

Alex Barnham March 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink | Reply
True journalism is going to the silent areas to find the truth.

Alex Barnham March 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink | Reply
I am sorry to be a nag but why are the vents not being monitored when there is a definite problem with overheating issues?

Howard Shaffer March 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink | Reply
The Containment “Hardened Vent” goes to the stack, which is monitored.

It was installed on Mark I plants as a last ditch measure to prevent the Containment from developing a split. The split could eventually occur if the Containment was overpressured. At Fukushima 1,2,3 pressure was high when venting was done.

The venting would be done under favorable weather conditions. Evacuation of the down wind sectors would have been ordered on the first day, as was done in Japan.
http://vtdigger.org/2012/03/14/vermont-yankee...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#85 Mar 15, 2012
You freaking idiot, a bad accident like Fukushima raises the states of complexity to such a mind boggling high complexity you can count on never getting to use the vents. The complexity is so high you never even reach getting to operate the vents...there is too many trap doors leading to failure.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#86 Mar 15, 2012
The example would be the meltdown would cause the staff to be so wigged out they then are incapable of operating the vents.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#87 Mar 16, 2012
I guess the question is, does the plate have a chance to get to the suction of the condensate pump...

You know, what will Entergy's investor and board fear if VY is shutdown. The risk of shutting down the rest of NE nukes rises.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#88 Mar 16, 2012
If Shumlin had any kahunas, he would have ordered VY to shutdown and take out the plate if it is still in there?
What A Scary Mess

United States

#89 Mar 16, 2012
The plate is still there ?
Just the TRUTH Please

Brattleboro, VT

#90 Mar 16, 2012
Mike Mulligan wrote:
I guess the question is, does the plate have a chance to get to the suction of the condensate pump...
You know, what will Entergy's investor and board fear if VY is shutdown. The risk of shutting down the rest of NE nukes rises.
It was on the Circ Water side not the condensate side of the condenser.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#91 Mar 16, 2012
I assumed it was in the turbine side. I actually was walking around inside that unit on the turbine side...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#92 Mar 16, 2012
If it was on the circ water side it would clog up the service water return and stop or obstruct the flow of water...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#93 Mar 16, 2012
Mike Mulligan wrote:
You should hear the noise coming from a operating main condenser. There is a lot of reasons fro it. It is a lot of vibration...
If we get the feed pumps to trip...that be that plate covering up the condenser suction.
How about the plate getting sucked into the condensate pumps...it gets shredded up. You bypassing the condemins at full power? The metal pieces shredding up the condemns, goes to the feed pumps, shreds the feed pumps up...into the vessel. Then the pieces shred the fuel pins and they releasing radioactivity...
So if the plate is on the circ water side this is bs.
Are we sitting Ducks

United States

#94 Mar 16, 2012
So. Is everything fixed yet ?
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#95 Mar 16, 2012
stardust wrote:
<quoted text>
Translation: Bullsh*t
More bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo. Like 'quantitative easing'= printing currency we cannot back.
'Chronic enebriates'= drunks
Like 'quantitative easing'= printing currency we cannot back.

Well we could alway raise interest rates. It is like printing money in a way that doesn't look like printing money and the benefit is only for the rich and elites.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#96 Mar 16, 2012
Shutting down VY and every nuke plant is the USA won't fit it.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#97 Mar 16, 2012
NEI awards page:

Exelon Nuclear employees collaborated with Plastocor Inc. to earn the 2009 Equipment Reliability Process Award for managing condenser tube aging with internal epoxy coating. Main condenser tubes are subject to several modes of degradation over time. The most significant degradation mechanism is microbiologically influenced corrosion (MIC) that can cause pitting and penetrations through tube walls. Replacing main condenser tubes takes 60 to 100 days, costs $50 million to $80 million, and produces up to 70 person-rem exposure for boiling water reactors. The epoxy coating application can arrest MIC and repair leaking tubes, including tubes that were previously plugged due to leakage.

Exelon partnered with Plastocor Inc. to improve the condenser tube application that has been used in fossil plants. The inside of each tube is cleaned and dried. The epoxy is then injected into the tube and applied by a squeegee that is either propelled by air or pulled with a string through the tube. The epoxy coats the entire inner surface of the tube and plugs any holes. The thin coating prevents MIC, has little effect on heat transfer, and initial tests indicate that formerly plugged tubes can be returned to service. Exelon has four nuclear plants that may need to have their main condensers tubes replaced by 2014. A viable alternative is the in-situ epoxy coating of the tubes. Exelon estimates it will save at least $400 million and reduce radiation exposure to workers by a minimum 300 person-rem. Exelon is the first electric utility to apply in-situ epoxy coating to the main condenser tubing at nuclear plants.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#98 Mar 16, 2012
Shutting down VY and every nuke plant is the USA won't fix it.
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#99 Mar 16, 2012
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#100 Mar 16, 2012
I think Entergy threw a condenser hail Mary football pass and they hired a Internet firm scam promising you $1000 for working two hours a week...
Mike Mulligan

Brattleboro, VT

#101 Mar 19, 2012
Power is 100% yesterday according to the NRC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brattleboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Online Petition to oust Shumlin 8 hr Oust Dictator Soe... 65
Review: Biologic Integrative Health - Samantha ... (Feb '10) Nov 20 As The Whirled Ch... 55
Vernon's police chief speaks out after departme... (Mar '14) Nov 18 Patty O Furniture 20
Fukushima Worsening!-Thank Nuketards 4Ruining E... (Aug '13) Nov 17 Lou Keemia 115
Truth reason knowledge (Dec '12) Nov 14 Philae FAIL phfff... 609
Just another religious criminal Nov 14 B4BenCarson Or UR... 76
Obama: 'Help Us Destroy Jesus And Start A New A... (Sep '12) Nov 14 RandPaul BenCarso... 79

Brattleboro News Video

Brattleboro Dating
Find my Match

Brattleboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brattleboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brattleboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:14 am PST