Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Jan 6, 2012
Need Info

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 30, 2011
 
Never had this happen before. If you owe, say, appx $400 to somebody, can they still garnish 25% of your income each check? Seems a little steep just for a $400 debt. I have been attempting to pay this & cannot afford that dang much.

Thank you...
answer

Sharon Grove, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 30, 2011
 
yes they can if they have a judgement against you they can. They can also apply intrest and finance charges that will come out of that. If they get a lawyer then they will take the 1st payments to pay them. Sorry. Your best bet is to pay off this amount before it gets started.
Need Info

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 30, 2011
 
I am making payments to them already.
nograysonite

Hodgenville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 30, 2011
 
Need Info wrote:
I am making payments to them already.
If your making payments already then they can't do a garnishment. the best thing you can do is talk to you a lawyer. Your already attempting to pay it.
aaa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 30, 2011
 
Perhaps you could get some sort of written payment agreement. I doubt then, unless you defaulted on the agreement, they would start collection then garnishment proceedings.
Chubby

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 30, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Even if u make payments u can still b garnished if u are more than 30 days past due. I work for a payday loan company and we garnish people even if they owe 100$ . 400 may not seem like a lot to u but when u have 20 people thinking the way u do it sure adds up. Don't get things u can't afford and always have an emergency bank fund savIngs acct etc. Wish u the best of luck and the embarrassment of being garnished would kill me, I can't imagine..
WOW

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 30, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How comical Chubby "embarassed" to be garnished and giving financial advice when u work at "the SCUM of the Earth!" per Dave Ramsey! That is a lame placed to be employed, smiling in people's faces as they struggle to repay something that set them behind before it ever helped anything, taking advantage of no savings or Emergency fund money (how ironic you advise those). And I assume that fabulous income with those BONUSES, you have never been a moment late on anything, have any debt and a fat bank account. To the original poster, I hate to hear you are facing wage garnishment & I hope the company excepts your repaying what you have and acknowledge your effort. Try to stay positive as you can, however if I experienced garnishment the last feeling I would be is embarrassed. It's small stuff that can be put behind you, not the end of the world.
Oh really

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 30, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Seriously? At least that person has a job! Not everyone agrees with every thing their work place does! Last time I checked to get a loan you had to be over 18, and all adults know what they are getting into and signing. It's the consumers fault for not reading the contract! You sound like a piece of work that's prob not paid your debt with a PDL company and sounds like they got you too! Lol
Fleecethrow

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 30, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Try paying your bills next time! I'm sure they called a zillion times and sent letters! Now your acting surprised! What a tard!
Been There

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Need Info, sorry to hear that you are possibly getting ready to have garnishment started but yes, unfortunately, they can take 25% of your pay regardless of whether or not you can afford it. If they are garnishing your paycheck, that means they already have a lawyer and the garnishment has been court ordered so if the original debt was $400, it's going to be quite a bit more because of lawyer fees and court costs.

Also, just a word of advice, alot of companies will hold the money out of your paycheck weekly but only pay the lawyer monthly so keep up with the balance you still owe. If your final payment is going to be due at the first of the month, you can pay it off in person at the lawyer's office. They will stop the garnishment as soon as they receive their money. If you wait until the company pays them, you may be garnished all month and then have to wait for reimbursement from the lawyer. The week you pay it off, you will probably still get the garnishment held out but it will be returned to you, usually within a matter of a few days. depending on the lawyer.

Good luck!
Been There

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 1, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Oh really wrote:
Seriously? At least that person has a job! Not everyone agrees with every thing their work place does! Last time I checked to get a loan you had to be over 18, and all adults know what they are getting into and signing. It's the consumers fault for not reading the contract! You sound like a piece of work that's prob not paid your debt with a PDL company and sounds like they got you too! Lol
Realy!! The original poster has to be working to be garnished so apparently he/she does has a job. Maybe they are just like alot of the country now, living paycheck to paycheck and just getting by. Alot of people don't have financial security cause it takes everything they have just to live.

I don't understand why every one feels they need to judge someone. Instead, it would be better for you to say a prayer for this person instead of making comments that puts them down.
Need info

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 2, 2012
 
Chubby wrote:
Even if u make payments u can still b garnished if u are more than 30 days past due. I work for a payday loan company and we garnish people even if they owe 100$. 400 may not seem like a lot to u but when u have 20 people thinking the way u do it sure adds up. Don't get things u can't afford and always have an emergency bank fund savIngs acct etc. Wish u the best of luck and the embarrassment of being garnished would kill me, I can't imagine..
"Thinking the way I do??" I am trying to pay them like I said!
Need info

Bowling Green, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 2, 2012
 
Thank you to those who gave POLITE advice. I've been put in contact with someone higher up in the company to discuss this and try to work with my original payment arrangement.

And yes I am employed, I've been at my job 4 1/2 years, I have a degree, own a home, a paid-for vehicle & I have decent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance with my job. I am a single mother who has gotten behind on some expenses like anyone else. And no, I am not on food stamps, welfare, section 8, live in the projects etc. before anyone says it.:) But I have been there in the past and worked my way out of it so I do NOT judge anyone in that situation if they are making an effort to work their way out too.

Furthermore I did inform the company more than once that in addition to paying them X amount per month, I would pay them off completely when I get my tax return usually mid-late February. I should point out that I have a debt with a similar company that is accepting the same payment arrangement and working with me just fine. I am also expecting an IRA deposit from my employer any day and will use that to pay them if necessary.

Belated Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

“It all about money”

Since: Oct 08

st louis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 2, 2012
 
Need info wrote:
<quoted text>
"Thinking the way I do??" I am trying to pay them like I said!
Maybe you should read the original contract agreement, the one you signed when you borrowed the money. It may say that if you do not meet your payments then they will garnish wages. If it does not state that then they cant do it with out a court order. If you are garnished through a court order then you will owe not only court fees but also lawyer fees. The original 400 will be more like 600 plus interest and penalties.
You've not mentioned getting a summons or a default judgement so I am assuming that you are dealing with the loan sharks, since that is the only post you answered. The loan sharks arent like medical billing, it is a loan and you agreed to make a certain payment to pay the loan off. The only way to deal with them is to get their approval in writing, of any changes in payment methods or amounts.

“It all about money”

Since: Oct 08

st louis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 2, 2012
 
Need info wrote:
Thank you to those who gave POLITE advice. I've been put in contact with someone higher up in the company to discuss this and try to work with my original payment arrangement.
And yes I am employed, I've been at my job 4 1/2 years, I have a degree, own a home, a paid-for vehicle & I have decent benefits including health/dental/vision insurance with my job. I am a single mother who has gotten behind on some expenses like anyone else. And no, I am not on food stamps, welfare, section 8, live in the projects etc. before anyone says it.:) But I have been there in the past and worked my way out of it so I do NOT judge anyone in that situation if they are making an effort to work their way out too.
Furthermore I did inform the company more than once that in addition to paying them X amount per month, I would pay them off completely when I get my tax return usually mid-late February. I should point out that I have a debt with a similar company that is accepting the same payment arrangement and working with me just fine. I am also expecting an IRA deposit from my employer any day and will use that to pay them if necessary.
Belated Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.
Watch out for those collectors, they will tell you anything just to get you to pay, even sometimes for things you dont owe.

But be sure to get everything in writing, any agreement or settlement. Just so it dont come back later. Also if you continue to have troubles with them you can always report them to the Attorney General of your state, if they attempt to do things you might believe to be improper or malicious.

Also bill collectors love to attack you at the end of the year, guess they need a holiday bonus lol

Happy New year to you too
Wondering

Campbellsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 5, 2012
 
Don't go to check n go for cash advance. They sue u and garnish your wages if your 2 days late even!
ThomasA

Gadsden, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 6, 2012
 
Wondering wrote:
Don't go to check n go for cash advance. They sue u and garnish your wages if your 2 days late even!
But they would not be in business if people used their brains and did not go out and get in debt over their heads,have wrecks without insurance,and spend more than they make. This problem did not exist as much in our parent's days because they lived within their means. It's sad to think that people try to borrow themselves out of debt.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

146 Users are viewing the Bowling Green Forum right now

Search the Bowling Green Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Bowling Green Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Commietator 149,714
Stephanie Sowders SELLS DRUGS 33 min Time 1
Cory Hart to Build Little Leage Field 36 min Feelfree 1
Tina Jennings' Dress Too Tight! 44 min Deschanel 1
Where is "Midget"? 1 hr Funny 1
Coworkers as FWB - is it possible? 2 hr Biker 6
Does anybody know Jacob Tinsley? (Dec '09) 2 hr gammersucks 28
Top Hat Cabaret new Gentleman's Club 2 hr Heisenberg 111
Hottest single guy in BG (Aug '08) 3 hr Ben Dover 65
purge in bowling Green 3 hr R Ville 24
Rob Clayton Superintendent (Jun '13) 13 hr Really 54
Tina Jennings (Jun '12) 14 hr Tony Danza 70
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bowling Green Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bowling Green People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Bowling Green News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bowling Green
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••