How long does it take to recover from Gall Bladder Removal?

Posted in the Blytheville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Curious

United States

#1 Feb 1, 2008
Does anyone have an estimated time.
secret

Dexter, MO

#2 Feb 1, 2008
i had mine removed about 3 months ago and it took me a couple of weeks,but now i have bad problems with my digestive system i can rarely leave my house dont know what the cause of it is yet.
Curious

United States

#3 Feb 1, 2008
Well i have to have mine removed in a few weeks any helpful hints. Kinda scared too.

“It is what it is”

Since: Oct 07

Blytheville

#5 Feb 1, 2008
Are they doing it laproscopic? If they are you will have a few small scars that you won't be able to see in a few months. It isn't bad, and if it makes you feel bad enough to have it removed, I would bet you will feel tons better afterwards. Good Luck!
Curious wrote:
Well i have to have mine removed in a few weeks any helpful hints. Kinda scared too.
secret

Dexter, MO

#6 Feb 1, 2008
well everyone body is different and i wish you the best with your surgery.my surgery went great and i had two huge gallstones and im not even sure my digestive problems are any thing to do with my gallbladder surgery.wish you the best..god bless you
Curious

United States

#7 Feb 1, 2008
they are going to try to do it laproscopic. the dr. said that i had several very large stones and that would be the only thing to make them do the open surgery. i guess that's why i am scared. they said they would have to cut from the middle of my chest to the middle of my back if the did the open surgery. but i am a big girl i am sure i can take it

“生命是死亡”

Since: Jul 07

Little Rock, AR

#8 Feb 2, 2008
Curious, I had several stones larger than the end of my pinky (last knuckle to tip), and at 6'1", 240lbs I have a LARGE pinky. I had the laproscopic surgery, went home that afternoon (had the surgery at 7am and I had to go to the bathroom before they would let ) and was back to work in a couple of days.

Before I had open surgery, I'd DEFINATELY get a second opinion on that.
Curious

United States

#9 Feb 2, 2008
The stones are not supposed to show up on a CAT Scan. They are supposed to do an ultrasound. My stones are so large you can feel them and they showed up on the CAT scan. I am going to UAMS in Little Rock for the surgery. Anybody been there??? Is it a nice place??

United States

#10 Feb 3, 2008
Good Luck
Sunny

AOL

#12 Feb 3, 2008
Curious wrote:
The stones are not supposed to show up on a CAT Scan. They are supposed to do an ultrasound. My stones are so large you can feel them and they showed up on the CAT scan. I am going to UAMS in Little Rock for the surgery. Anybody been there??? Is it a nice place??
I had surgery at UAMS and was completely satisfied with the entire ordeal. The surgery went as planned (wasn't gall bladder surgery), the doctor and the nursing staff weren't anything less than wonderful and the facilities were clean and up to date. I wish you the best of luck, but you couldn't ask for a better hospital or staff!

Since: Jan 08

Bernie, MO

#13 Feb 3, 2008
I had mine out in June 2004. If I had time to fully rest and recover it wouldn't have taken as long, but I have a family to take care of so it took me a couple of weeks to get over the the surgery itself. It took a couple months to get fully back to normal. My strength was just sapped.

Secret, the symptoms you're having are common. Look up IBS. Fats and greasy foods cannot be processed the same way anymore and they go "straight" thru. Add some bulk fiber to your diet and avoid greasy fried foods for a while. Eventually your system will re-adjust.

“生命是死亡”

Since: Jul 07

Little Rock, AR

#14 Feb 4, 2008
Nope, sorry. I had mine done a the University of Missouri Medical Center in Columbia, MO around 1997 or 98, when I lived there. I had them for 6 years before I got around to having the gall bladder removed.

Never knew that a person could feel that much pain until I got the damn things. I have an extremely high pain tolerance and the pain from the stones would have me curled up into a ball on the floor, unable to move.
Curious wrote:
Curious

United States

#15 Feb 5, 2008
Yeah I know how bad they hurt. I understand that part completely. I just can't believe that no one here in town does the surgery anymore. Not that I would even want someone in Blytheville to do it. I am just scared I guess.

United States

#16 Feb 6, 2008
a while
wayout

Clovis, NM

#17 Feb 6, 2008
Hey Secret!
Your problems may be more complicated than you know.If you have the problem and it was not
there prior,you may want to get a 2nd opinion
from a Dr. outside his network.
nobody special

United States

#18 Feb 7, 2008
30 and counting is right.. everything goes right through you but it will straighten out in about 2 years from the date of surgery... the doctor told me that bile drips down into your stomach (where it used to drip into your gall bladder) and that is why you have SUCH GAS! and have to run to the bathroom like 4-5 times a day.. I LOVE being relieved all the time.. feels so much better
Been there-Done that

United States

#19 Feb 8, 2008
Had the surgery myself about ten years ago. Everything went great, but 31 Years and nobody special are both right...stay away from the greasy foods and fats. Good luck with it.
unknown

AOL

#20 Feb 8, 2008
I had mine removed at age 16. Take it easy and don't push yourself or you will be screwed. It is common to have some digestive problems. Most times its mild though. I prefer that to the initial gall bladder complications.After words watch the foods you eat. Greasy and fatty foods may not agree with you if eaten in excess.
fyi

Carbondale, IL

#21 Feb 9, 2008
I had the surgery about five years ago. Its an easy procedure although i was wiped out completly for about three weeks. No energy at all . Walking to the bathroom in my bedroom was tough. Now as far as the digestive.....i hope yours ends up better i am still plagued with Ibs . look it up there is no cure. It can be managed. Although fatty foods due cause stress to the digestive system in any BODY , its not the only cause. Any type of food can cause it to flare up. You need to keep a journal and figure out which foods bother you. Usually carbohydrates , wheat, refined sugar, sodas, high fats ,dairy all fall into a pattern of harm . It really is a way to force yourself to eat healthy or have major problems! Sometimes even water irriatates me if i am having a bad flare up. Once again its all managable. And the surgery is worth it compared to gall bladder pain!! Good luck!
Best Decision

Manila, AR

#22 Feb 10, 2008
I had the surgery about 7 years ago. I had 2 large stones. They removed them with no problems. Was doing regular activity after 3 days. I can eat anything I want now but I do know people who have had to have the surgery done again cause they don't remove all of it, just the gallbladder itself but there is still a duct they leave in and that were they had their trouble but mine is fine. Also several people have told me that they have no trouble going to thr bathroom especially when you eat fatty foods but I have no trouble there. I heard that hospital is wonderful. Hope everything goes well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Blytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Farmers Bank need to step up 4 min Guest 4
Clean up Topix 3 hr guest 4
Is Abbott for the rich? Are will he really make... 6 hr Guest 113
Nucor drug testing/psych testing 7 hr Im just saying 1
shooting 8 hr guestinghouse 20
Justin (bubba ju) Harrison 9 hr Gtowngrad05 16
Frances McDaniel 10 hr Wantin buy houses 1

Freeze Warning for Mississippi County was issued at November 01 at 2:43AM CDT

Blytheville Dating
Find my Match