Has the Bluefield Flea Market moved to Green Valley

Posted in the Bluefield Forum

flea market queen

Rupert, WV

#1 Jun 1, 2013
Lots of nice things both new and old out at Mitchems on road to Mall. They have shady overhead shading and seems to be the new county flea market happening place. I asked a vender if the Bluefield Flea Market had moved, and she said they don't want us in Bluefield. I hadn't been back to bluefield flea market since moved to less than ideal location at Wade Center. Just some good folks and venders looking for a goo0d place, and I will be going back. Bluefield missed the boat as they could have had city wide flea market like at Hillside. No I am not a vender, but just happy to see a good flea market back in area. Bluefield's loss is Green Valley gain.
I KNOW

Princeton, WV

#2 Jun 1, 2013
I think there is still one at the old coca cola plant on Bluefield Av -that wade center was AWFUL and a disaster a place that was NEVER good for the flea market...it was an UNDERHANDED move(a stupid one) by the mayor and her church to FORCE money to the wade center.They never cared about any flea market but got the (not so bright) idea they could FORCE the market there and divert the funds to support the wade center and as well all space prices were raised so that little scheme failed and I for one am glad!
I tried to suggest making a type of covered area for the market where the parking building was so we could have a "farmers market" section as well as does Bluefield Va.
Was said that would interfere with plans for the intermodal center-the idiotic pipe dream( nightmare) they seem stuck on above all else!
The one thing we DO NOT need is the intertmodal center what our city does desperately need is a good full line grocer on the busline ( such as the old Kroger site) to help people have a grocery to shop for their needs.However that is not importand to the current board either!
flea market queen

Rupert, WV

#3 Jun 1, 2013
I KNOW wrote:
I think there is still one at the old coca cola plant on Bluefield Av -that wade center was AWFUL and a disaster a place that was NEVER good for the flea market...it was an UNDERHANDED move(a stupid one) by the mayor and her church to FORCE money to the wade center.They never cared about any flea market but got the (not so bright) idea they could FORCE the market there and divert the funds to support the wade center and as well all space prices were raised so that little scheme failed and I for one am glad!
I tried to suggest making a type of covered area for the market where the parking building was so we could have a "farmers market" section as well as does Bluefield Va.
Was said that would interfere with plans for the intermodal center-the idiotic pipe dream( nightmare) they seem stuck on above all else!
The one thing we DO NOT need is the intertmodal center what our city does desperately need is a good full line grocer on the busline ( such as the old Kroger site) to help people have a grocery to shop for their needs.However that is not importand to the current board either!
You have some good ideas, but unfortunately the city management does not.Why have the powers that be always made such bad decisions in Bluefield. The only thing left for Bluefield to become a ghost town is if the residents realize they're raising sewage etc, picking out what kind of dogs they can own, and just generally running the town in a very strange way. I suddenly realized when I tell anybody I'm going to Bluefield, it is Bluefield VA, and back in the past was once Blfd WV. I just pass it right up as there is nothing there. Mayor needs to come down to earth and realize she is fulfilling her dream, and leaving the needs of her residents behind. Bluefield WV is not New York, so it does not need to be filled with museums and art galleries. Some good ole fashioned flea markets and actually with its history some tours might do well. I wish it could have done better, but I do believe the insult to all those venders and flea market goers was the final blow. Sure hope the fat lady don't sing.
I KNOW

Princeton, WV

#4 Jun 1, 2013
I agree and as a resident this is about the worst "management" or should I say MIS management I have ever seen. They have probably done more harm to Bluefield and it's businesses and property owners than most before.I hope every one is voted OUT in the election but I do not feel this will be the case.
Some NEW FACES running may be good and just what we so need but there are some in that group we do not need-not in any way shape or form. We DO NOT need any re elects or hold overs EVERY CURRENT one needs to go.
We could have had a 3 if not a 4 season market at the freight station and I sent that suggestion to a FORMER city manager and he foo foo'ed that quick-that could have been set in place WELL BEFORE the parking building was closed.He mumbled something about the need for recreation and the wade***** We need BUSINESS to locate here-for one a nice full line GROCERY and other businesses that EMPLOY PEOPLE and pay wages.We need BUSINESSES not anymore freerider and give away and hand out programs -recreation is FOR THOSE THAT WORK not always a total give away.
Recreation is OK in the right place but has NO (0)priority over businesses.We are not here to recreate the non working freeriders of society.The flea market at either place I mentioned would have created traffic and as well provided space rent to the city....to recreate provides absolutely NOTHING!
flea market queen

Rupert, WV

#5 Jun 2, 2013
Does anybody else in Bluefield have any ideas? If you don't stop it, your city is going down the drain. The only good thing they did was get rid of old buildings.
flea market queen

Rupert, WV

#6 Jun 5, 2013
It has become too obvious that everything is sidestepping Bluefield WV, and heading to Bluefield Va, and Green Valley. Even years ago it started when everyone was heading to Bluefield Va for their gas and cigs cause taxes were lower. And I remember an article a couple yrs ago when they were wondering why they had no service stations for the traffic getting off the I77. All the service stations crammed up in Blfd Va and so busy you have to wait in line. Now they are wondering why no grocery store. They might want to rethink all that money they spend downtown and use it in some way to get a grocery store built or to help draw some traffic off I77. Just sayin'
I KNOW

Bluefield, WV

#7 Jun 5, 2013
flea market queen wrote:
It has become too obvious that everything is sidestepping Bluefield WV, and heading to Bluefield Va, and Green Valley. Even years ago it started when everyone was heading to Bluefield Va for their gas and cigs cause taxes were lower. And I remember an article a couple yrs ago when they were wondering why they had no service stations for the traffic getting off the I77. All the service stations crammed up in Blfd Va and so busy you have to wait in line. Now they are wondering why no grocery store. They might want to rethink all that money they spend downtown and use it in some way to get a grocery store built or to help draw some traffic off I77. Just sayin'
RIGHT ON POINT and this is one of MANY reasons the PEOPLE of Bluefield went to the poles-broom in hand.The PEOPLE made it clear they were sick and tired of the mess and they swept every one out of office-Great job Bluefield.
I cannot predict what the new board will be like BUT I have HOPE and I as well HOPE they understand the residents of Bluefield are FED UP with this past board and that the new ones make effort to be more responsible in leading Bluefield in a right direction.
I hope they will throw the useless intermodal center out and move on to what is needed here like a GOOD grocery in south Bluefield-near the population center AND the traffic coming in from I77 to the trails. I hope they will have SENSE enough to push for development near 460 bypass and out to John Nash and I77-exit 1. This board felt Bluefield was only Bland and Federal street -the NOW Bluefield and the FUTURE Bluefield is not and cannot be!
flea market queen

Smoot, WV

#8 Jun 5, 2013
Great! I am behind the times, as I did not know that. Why do they keep trying to build up the avenue? They need a grocery store even if they build it themselves Grants would do wonderful and would draw folks away from Blfd. VA. Also, they need a good service station. Even lil ole Bastian has its service station right there on the interstate and is busy. Catering to trucks with a good truckstop open all night. Wytheville is loaded with that type of thing for business, and a town in Bluefield's predicament does not need an intermodal. They should have been expanding the Flea Market...its going to be big in Green Valley...already is. Come down to Earth city officials...and hope the new board keeps feet firmly planted.
Brave Toaster

Bluefield, VA

#9 Jun 10, 2013
To the notion that "Bluefield is not New York and doesn't need to be filled with museums and art galleries" mentioned above, I say bullshit.

You really think we have to be a major city to have a cool art scene and interesting places for out of town visitors to see? A nice museum would be refreshing! Maybe not a bunch of stupid ones, but one big, nice one would be a benefit to the community. It might draw a street cafe or something in beside it, too.

Bluefield can become a fun, cultured community if enough people get involved and make something happen.
curious

Princeton, WV

#10 Jun 11, 2013
I KNOW wrote:
With all of your knowledge, you should open a grocery store. You could surely get the financing if it is as easy as you
indicate it is. Go for it. Amazing.
curious

Princeton, WV

#11 Jun 11, 2013
I KNOW wrote:
<quoted text>
RIGHT ON POINT and this is one of MANY reasons the PEOPLE of Bluefield went to the poles-broom in hand.The PEOPLE made it clear they were sick and tired of the mess and they swept every one out of office-Great job Bluefield.
I cannot predict what the new board will be like BUT I have HOPE and I as well HOPE they understand the residents of Bluefield are FED UP with this past board and that the new ones make effort to be more responsible in leading Bluefield in a right direction.
I hope they will throw the useless intermodal center out and move on to what is needed here like a GOOD grocery in south Bluefield-near the population center AND the traffic coming in from I77 to the trails. I hope they will have SENSE enough to push for development near 460 bypass and out to John Nash and I77-exit 1. This board felt Bluefield was only Bland and Federal street -the NOW Bluefield and the FUTURE Bluefield is not and cannot be!
Amazing. Surely, you don't think those who were just elected have the capability to do any of
the things you have just mentioned. Do you know them?? Obviously not. Business isn't going to come to Bluefield unless they want to come to Bluefield, and it doesn't matter who on the new city board
contacts them. Once again, YOU should open a grocery store, and if that is too much perhaps you could purchase a piece of that property on John Nash and put in a gas station/convenience store, and if
that is too much maybe you can start a flea market. With your pen name, you could surely do one
of those things with little or no trouble. Let's see you go.
1 post removed
you must be a Wade fan

Webster Springs, WV

#13 Jun 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Amazing. Surely, you don't think those who were just elected have the capability to do any of
the things you have just mentioned. Do you know them?? Obviously not. Business isn't going to come to Bluefield unless they want to come to Bluefield, and it doesn't matter who on the new city board
contacts them. Once again, YOU should open a grocery store, and if that is too much perhaps you could purchase a piece of that property on John Nash and put in a gas station/convenience store, and if
that is too much maybe you can start a flea market. With your pen name, you could surely do one
of those things with little or no trouble. Let's see you go.
Ding dong why don't u open a grocery store. That poster just thought was stupid to move flea market to Wade Center, and it was. You go now and open up a store.
I KNOW

Oakvale, WV

#14 Jun 15, 2013
That EVIL and underhanded move by the ""board"" the soon to be FORMER mayor & her church literally destroyed that flea market. There was the freight station site and there are many parking lots and there was city park but they were shoved into that totally undesirable area as well as they jumped the space rent for a totally undesirable place for the market.There was plenty of lead time to have made preparations but the preparations were made by sinister underhanded "secret" forces. I am glad someone tried to open one at the old Coke bottling plant-at least they tried-may not be ideal and many vendors had already left after the wade fiasco and may never come back.
Sad

Webster Springs, WV

#15 Jun 15, 2013
What they did not realize is that was jobs. Oh well, that is Bluefield...literally on top of things. NOT It may not be showing off something, but this was little jobs that put extra cash in pockets. Green Valley even had built a shelter from sun and rain for the venders. Thank you Bluefield for being silly...We love it
Bobby

Princeton, WV

#16 Jun 15, 2013
I for one am glad to see that flea market go...
Samantha

Bluefield, WV

#17 Jun 19, 2013
So where are the good flea markets at now? And when are they open? Just moved here and would like to know.
flea market queen

Webster Springs, WV

#18 Jun 20, 2013
Samantha wrote:
So where are the good flea markets at now? And when are they open? Just moved here and would like to know.
Green Valley on the road to the Mall called Mitchems. I think is sat and Sun. There is a great one in Pence Springs on Sun. It is on route above Hinton. they may still have the one at Pipestem drive in
Landow

Rupert, WV

#19 Jun 20, 2013
Best flea markets are in Bristol Tenn. It's about an hour and a half drive but it's worth it any weekend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bluefield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get Rid of HUD and Public Housing 11 min REDx 24
Game - Keep a Word - Drop a Word (Jul '11) 22 min SWAMP WITCH 1,730
So I met this guy on facebook 1 hr hmm 5
Review: The Salvation Army 1 hr opinion 12
Who knows this guy?? 1 hr opinion 4
Hobby Lobby (Jul '13) 2 hr santos l halper 13
Rockit Club (Jan '14) 2 hr Robbie 14
Bluefield Dating
Find my Match

Bluefield Jobs