Same-sex couple sues government

Dec 8, 2012 Full story: WTAE-TV Pittsburgh

When President Barack Obama formally ended "don't ask, don't tell" in July 2011, ending a 17-year ban on gays serving openly in the U.S. military, Tracey Cooper-Harris felt liberated about her future as a veteran.

Full Story

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#1 Dec 8, 2012
Being a Veteran myself, I've recently tried adding my wife to my VA disability compensation and was also denied because my wife is the "WRONG" gender.......I know this couple personally and hope that SCOTUS will do the right thing by ruling DOMA Section 3 UNCONSTITUTIONAL as well as upholding either the 9th's ruling on Prop 8 or Judge Walker's ruling on Prop 8!!!
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#2 Dec 8, 2012
Despite that this issues is not recognized by the govt, the employee can get life insurance (SGLI) to cover her partner. This might help with any future expenses.
The Mad Man

Long Beach, CA

#3 Dec 8, 2012
At present there aren't too many ways around this unless Tracey wants to use her SGLI money for private burial which can include her partner. She is fighting the govt and the gvt usually wins unless her lawsuit take prescient which would change a lot for same sex couples so I wish her the best. Until then, she needs to get her condition treated seriously before she tackles the govt. If the couple did not co-mix their finances there is a lot they can do. If they did co-mix their finances, this will cause problems. Research the local laws to know and understand how this will affect their lives. That is just the way it is at present and to protect yourself, know what you are getting into before you become 'emotionally' attached and understand how these laws will affect your lives. That is the only way you can protect yourselves.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Dec 8, 2012
Add her to the growing list of married same-sex couples suing to overturn DOMA.

There is already a group of married active duty same-sex couples who's lawsuit is on hold pending the outcome of the current DOMA cases.

I expect any new cases challenging section 3 of DOMA will put on hold as well. They're all essentially the same case, and the SCOTUS will decide what that question by Jun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beverly Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Voto Latino: African Americans and Latinos Unit... (Mar '12) 25 min gulf 897
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Anita 19,287
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 1 hr Misty Me 7,968
L.A., Glendale seek injunction against Toonervi... (Nov '08) 2 hr oso 119
Charges dropped for man who sold rhino head 5 hr Kid_Tomorrow 5
Los Angeles commercial roofing services (Jul '08) 9 hr walkerwilliam91 3
Cultural Hit Man Strikes Again With Media Prais... 9 hr Culture Auditor 1

Fire Warning for Los Angeles County was issued at October 01 at 8:19PM PDT

Beverly Hills News Video

Beverly Hills Dating