Pedestrian Struck And Killed

Full story: WFMZ 68
Police are on the scene of a fatal accident in Berks County. Officials say a person was hit and killed along 183 at Washington Street in Bernville just before 6:00 this morning. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
cathy rentschler kessler

Bernville, PA

#1 Mar 17, 2010
this gave me chills driving by this this morning!
Reading Girl

Pennsburg, PA

#2 Mar 17, 2010
My prayers go out to everyone involved. Although, with how bad 183 is to drive on why would you be walking on it esp at dawn?
Candy Cane

Reading, PA

#3 Mar 17, 2010
Reading Girl wrote:
My prayers go out to everyone involved. Although, with how bad 183 is to drive on why would you be walking on it esp at dawn?
At dawn, at 6am it's downright dark outside.

“Its just my job 5 days a week"”

Since: Feb 09

Im a Rocket Man!"

#4 Mar 17, 2010
There was a pedestrian struck and killed 50 yards away from that spot a year or two ago.Its not a place you would expect people to cross the road.
Do not pass cars on the shoulder please.This has become routine practice for many drivers.Im not saying this is what happened,but it could very easily be the case.
183 driver

Englewood, CO

#5 Mar 17, 2010
I drive 183 everyday and it is a duck shoot to try to even pull out onto 183. The drivers are going entirely too fast and they are either in running late or on their cell phones talking or texting. There also are several side roads that people pull out of. not to mention the car wash,Redners,the gas station etc. We all need to slow down before there is a massive accident with more loss of life. I am sure that I am not the only one who fells this way. Slow down especially the young people who live in the area. As the old saying goes when you are dead you are deadforalongtime.!!!!!!!!!
concerned

Reading, PA

#6 Mar 17, 2010
Well that's two deaths on this area of road, a few more, then they can put in a traffic light or lower the speed limit. Its humorous, on the battlefield nowadays, the soldiers have to run up to the enemy and check their ID to make sure the person shooting at them is the enemy. Back home, we just run people down and go on about our day. Numerous people have to be killed before Penn Dot or the Police take notice and do something about dangerous sections of roadway. People are just too busy to be be paying attention and drive at a safe speed. Here is a tip, leave a little sooner and enjoy the drive, stop tailgaiting and speeding, and pull over to use the phone!
Mom

Hartford, CT

#7 Mar 17, 2010
It's not the young people who live in the area which drive recklessly and speed along 183! It's everyone trying to get to work in a hurry, truck driver's come speeding down the hill when the speed limit is 45 they're doing 80! There are many people who lost their lifes amongst this stretch of road. Every noticed all the crosses remembering those that past! Trucks and car zooming around the bend makes it almost impossible to pull out.
curious

Reading, PA

#8 Mar 17, 2010
concerned wrote:
Well that's two deaths on this area of road, a few more, then they can put in a traffic light or lower the speed limit. Its humorous, on the battlefield nowadays, the soldiers have to run up to the enemy and check their ID to make sure the person shooting at them is the enemy. Back home, we just run people down and go on about our day. Numerous people have to be killed before Penn Dot or the Police take notice and do something about dangerous sections of roadway. People are just too busy to be be paying attention and drive at a safe speed. Here is a tip, leave a little sooner and enjoy the drive, stop tailgaiting and speeding, and pull over to use the phone!
What??? You honestly think the driver just went about his/her day? You know for a fact the driver wasn't paying attention? Where just did you read that? The facts have not even been released yet! It is sad when any one is killed. but to assume it was the drivers fault prior to details is just plan stupid. I agree there are some people that need to get off the cell phones, slow down, etc..., I drive that road every day to get to work and for the most part, people slow down in the area it has happened in.( At least at the time I go through there.) And I do not consider where it happen a dangerous area, you can see both directions clearly. And as you suggest, for Penn Dot and the Police to take notice and do something, we would have red lights, stop signs etc. on every road, intersection and bend, and people will still get killed. You can't blame them for everything.
Just a local

Reading, PA

#9 Mar 17, 2010
I drive it too just like all you do, and I am a local dispatcher, most accident happen in the stretch from Jonathons up to Boyers. Mostly people are not paying attention for the drivers in front of them making left turns, and people are in too much of a hurry to look both ways more than once, especially at the school pulling out onto 183. Trucks just cant stop as fast as cars, yet too many cars just pull out in front of them. News said they was jogging....why? and at that time of day, but its early in the investigation so the story may change.
Resident in Bernville

Bernville, PA

#10 Mar 17, 2010
ok so i read all the updates and they STILL haven't told the family of this man that he had been hit and killed while jogging. OMG if that were my child, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, mom, dad, gma, gpa anything to me id want to know the instint the police know. thats just messed up if you ask me.
Tango

AOL

#11 Mar 17, 2010
Joggers and bicyclist are a danger to drivers, they need to stay out of the road, and they dont move either, its like they play a cat and mouse game with you. They expect you to swerve out onto on coming traffic to avoid THEM..but they wont budge an inch to get out of your way

“Its just my job 5 days a week"”

Since: Feb 09

Im a Rocket Man!"

#12 Mar 17, 2010
Tango wrote:
Joggers and bicyclist are a danger to drivers, they need to stay out of the road, and they dont move either, its like they play a cat and mouse game with you. They expect you to swerve out onto on coming traffic to avoid THEM..but they wont budge an inch to get out of your way
Please tell me that you dont drive. Tell me you will take your meds right now.
Pastor Rob

York, PA

#13 Mar 17, 2010
1. Yes, traffic goes very fast on 183 here in Bernville, especially during the time that people are heading to work (6-8 am) and coming home (3-6 pm). I've been told that long ago that there was a blinking light on 183, but after it got knocked down by a vehicle, it was never replaced.

2. Regarding family...trust me, even before 9 am family was being informed about what had happened.
Hmmm

Lebanon, PA

#14 Mar 17, 2010
Tango wrote:
SLOW DOWN THEN YOU JERK AND WAIT FOR THE ONCOMING TRAFFIC TO PASS SO YOU CAN SAFELY PASS THEM. THE ROAD JUST DOESN'T BELONG TO VEHICHLES.

“Merry Christmas ”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#15 Mar 17, 2010
Some roads are not fit for travel for bikes. Just have to watch and slow up and try to go around them.

I almost hit a skateboarder, it was near dark, the skateboarder was on my side coming at me with parked cars to the side, luckily I saw him and was able to go around him, this was very close, I almost hit him.
asdf

Bernville, PA

#16 Mar 17, 2010
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
SLOW DOWN THEN YOU JERK AND WAIT FOR THE ONCOMING TRAFFIC TO PASS SO YOU CAN SAFELY PASS THEM. THE ROAD JUST DOESN'T BELONG TO VEHICHLES.
obvisily the driver wasnt paying attention. like he/she^ sayd, the road doesnt belong only to the vehichles.
Jogger Mom

Reading, PA

#17 Mar 17, 2010
I travel rt. 183 everyday and I know how heavy traffic is throughout the day. We need to be more diligent about obeying the speed limit, paying attention to our driving, stop tailgating, stop talking/texting on cell phones and be aware of our surroundings. I will be interested in knowing what the investigation turns up in regards to how this horrible accident occurred. We should all be considerate of others and take extra time so accidents like this don't occur. We get just one life to live.
DTGoody

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Mar 17, 2010
It's not just on route 183, it's dangerous on all roads. People are in a hurry and don't pay attention. Then you have people doing unsafe acts like this guy jogging in the dark during the morning rush hour? I feel bad for him and his family, but why would you put yourself in this situation??? How physical fit is he now?

We have this bicyclist who rides on Route 29 up near Route 100. He does this every morning in the dark and during the morning rush hour? This stretch of road is very busy, has many sharp turns, and is very narrow. Cars have to literally go into the other lane to avoid hitting this guy. Why put yourself in this situation for a little Exercise? All the Exercise in the World won't do you any good if you are Dead!
Jogger Mom

Reading, PA

#19 Mar 17, 2010
People exercise before they go to work. I sometimes do that, but I carry a flashlight and wear reflective clothing so that I am seen. We don't know what this man's life and schedule was like, and maybe this was the only time he could exercise.
DTGoody wrote:
It's not just on route 183, it's dangerous on all roads. People are in a hurry and don't pay attention. Then you have people doing unsafe acts like this guy jogging in the dark during the morning rush hour? I feel bad for him and his family, but why would you put yourself in this situation??? How physical fit is he now?
We have this bicyclist who rides on Route 29 up near Route 100. He does this every morning in the dark and during the morning rush hour? This stretch of road is very busy, has many sharp turns, and is very narrow. Cars have to literally go into the other lane to avoid hitting this guy. Why put yourself in this situation for a little Exercise? All the Exercise in the World won't do you any good if you are Dead!

“Merry Christmas ”

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#20 Mar 17, 2010
Well the weather is getting nice here in the Valley now. I will be watching for bikes, joggers, skateboarders, walkers, you name it, this is to be expected there all out there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Figaski Resign in Shame? 40 min legal boy 11
Clowns at the Sunflower club 1 hr bob 20
In Brief: Man to serve up to 80 years in Erie C... 4 hr Sam Colt 3
State Parole and Probation 6 hr terrylee 12
Anybody know Mike Ohara 6 hr sheniah 36
I lvsz acdc. ..letsuug me put myasz lov intouyuzsa 7 hr Doug wilsin 4
stu. you drini dia Tia... 7 hr Doug wilsin 1

Bernville News Video

Bernville Dating
Find my Match