Next Last
Swim at your own risk

United States

#1 Jun 22, 2012
Who here swims in KY Lake?

Since: Jun 12

Benton, KY

#2 Jun 22, 2012
Almost everyone I know, unless you are afraid a minnow will bite your labia.
xyz246

Smithland, KY

#3 Jun 28, 2012
Ky Lake is fine
swimmer

Pontiac, IL

#4 Jun 28, 2012
The question should be.... Who does Not swim in Ky lake?. Just watch out for snakes if you do. BTW I do.:)

United States

#5 Jun 28, 2012
Not me, disgusting. Sorry if I don't wanna smell like fish and swim in feces.
Swim at your own risk

United States

#6 Jun 28, 2012
Yep who wants to swim in raw sewage! Not me, no thanks

Benton, KY

#7 Jun 28, 2012
People have been swimming in rivers and lakes since the dawn of time. I guarantee there's more pee in a public pool than in Ky lake.
Swim at your own risk

United States

#8 Jun 29, 2012
Maybe so but when is the last time you saw turds in the pool?????

Benton, KY

#9 Jun 30, 2012
Ill tell you that whenever I see a man who tells me hes afraid of spiders, or doesn't swim in the lake, too picky of an eater...I think to myself that without modern science, those genes shouldn't have gotten this far lol.
Swim at your own risk

United States

#10 Jun 30, 2012
I see your point westicles but its a different world now with flesh eating bacteria and such. Also one or another beach has been closed each year in recent times due to high levels of e.coli...just makes me nervous. But hey, maybe I'm a germaphob! Good luck to you thrashing around in that sludge.
here

Paducah, KY

#11 Jun 30, 2012
Ky lake is clean. Just look at the ecosystem and thriving wildlife. Every year we have a rather large infestation on mayflies which is a very great indication that ky lake is a relatively clean body of water. The fish thrive or we would not have the many large major fishing tournaments every year. Not to mention the thousand that flock here in the spring for the crappie spawn. The reason the beach gets closed is largely due to its location. If it was further down the shore and had better water flow it would be 100% better. Where it sits now that water is more or less stagnant with alot of debris washing up. Basically better water flow = less bacteria.

Benton, KY

#12 Jul 1, 2012
I completely agree with you here, generally the dangerously filthy waters are the stagnant ones. Ive got several ponds near my property, two that are large and stagnant, and one that has a run off where a creek flows in and out of it. Thats the only one where any fish can live, and the other two probably have some amoeba's that could crawl into your ears, frogs wont even live there. And its not a different world now.... we still have the same varieties of bacteria and other microbes as we did 10,000 years ago, there are just more people. Human waste, or industrial wastes, are the most dangerous stuff in our waters. Ky and Barkley lakes are relatively clean, compared to below the dam in the Ohio and Mississippi, where you get to all the plants and stuff.
marshall law

Chicago, IL

#13 Jul 2, 2012
Swim at your own risk wrote:
Maybe so but when is the last time you saw turds in the pool?????
Last week....
Really

Plymouth, MI

#14 Jul 2, 2012
Ummm if you would get out of Marshall Co you may see a clean lake. They have plenty of them in California, Texas, and Arkansas. You can actually see your feet when you are swimming in one of those lakes. Can you in Kentucky Lake? NOPE
Tatumsville Native

Pontiac, IL

#15 Jul 3, 2012
Really wrote:
Ummm if you would get out of Marshall Co you may see a clean lake. They have plenty of them in California, Texas, and Arkansas. You can actually see your feet when you are swimming in one of those lakes. Can you in Kentucky Lake? NOPE
I have been around the country and Central America and one of the biggest variables between the clarity on these bodies of water is barge traffic. Ky lake is relatively clean.
girly girl

Owensboro, KY

#16 Jul 4, 2012
I know this sounds strange I give my vag a good douching after swimming and skiing in Ky. lake.
girly girl

Owensboro, KY

#17 Jul 4, 2012
Dont ever go into Ky lake with a cut or open wound. You could get very sick. Jus sayin

Benton, KY

#18 Jul 5, 2012
I've been swimming in it my entire life, and I'm also the kind of person who always has skinned knees, cuts, and scrapes. I've never gotten sick from the lake. Nor has any of my family. Ive busted my eardrums jumping of the rock quarry, but never gotten ill from an infection. Actually you probably have a better chance of getting staff or something like that, just walking around the mall and touching things that thousands of other people touched. I agree with tatumsville native... If you go down to the lake in the winter time, the water is very clear, besides vegetation, the lower water table keeps most of the mud and stirred up stuff in the river.
hmm

Calvert City, KY

#19 Jul 6, 2012
Water clarity has nothing to do with cleanliness guess you failed in science lol
Tatumsville Native

Pontiac, IL

#20 Jul 6, 2012
hmm wrote:
Water clarity has nothing to do with cleanliness guess you failed in science lol
You must have failed science because your answer is in contradiction to known fresh water lake health. In lakes water quality directly relates to clarity. To accurately determine the health of Ky Lake, one must look abundant flora and fauna supported by the ecosystem and lack of any warnings related to fish consumption by state regulators. According to latest findings by the EPA's watershed assessment, the quality of water is rated good. So if you still question the water quality of Ky Lake, you can go run your own analysis and report your results. I would start with testing BOD, turbidity, conductivity, temperature, pH, and possibly nitrates and phosphates. You will probably need a degree in chemistry or biology to get started.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
robin davidson (Jan '12) 1 hr Who 5
rescare in benton 9 hr palease 5
Benton Walmart 16 hr realitycheck 7
Best auto parts store in Benton area (Nov '10) Sat realitycheck 291
Concussions and Brain damage in football. (Nov '12) Sat Ted 82
Write in Terry Anderson November 4th Fri flyhiely 57
help me!! Fri yonkers 3
Benton Dating
Find my Match

Benton People Search