hmm

Evanston, IL

#21 Dec 5, 2010
Drew wrote:
Casey Ainslie is still an awesome basketball player as he continues his career at SWIC. He is being looked at by a ton of colleges. Matt Wynn was a horrible coach because he couldn't make a decision without Rod Shurtz. Rod Shurtz was so jealous of Casey because he could play circles around both of his boys. Casey left because he was not getting the playing time that he deserved, and it was the best decision he ever made. He comes from a great family and he is a good kid. He will come out on top of all this shit.
I agree 100% with you. I played with Casey and he was an outstanding player and yet the Shurtz boys played over him. As a matter of fact, our sophomore year Sayler started over him. BENTON IS ALL ABOUT THE LASTNAME WHEN IT COMES TO SPORTS!!!!
Old Ranger

Carbondale, IL

#22 Dec 5, 2010
Drew wrote:
Casey Ainslie is still an awesome basketball player as he continues his career at SWIC. He is being looked at by a ton of colleges. Matt Wynn was a horrible coach because he couldn't make a decision without Rod Shurtz. Rod Shurtz was so jealous of Casey because he could play circles around both of his boys. Casey left because he was not getting the playing time that he deserved, and it was the best decision he ever made. He comes from a great family and he is a good kid. He will come out on top of all this shit.
I don't know the Ainslie kid personally, but from your comment I would say you know him pretty well. But what I have heard is he could be a bit of a pain. Playing time he deserved? Did he not start his whole Junior year? The kid had all the talent in the world, but some just can't put it all together. By the way Robbie Williams was the most fun player to watch out of that group.
hmm

Evanston, IL

#23 Dec 5, 2010
Old Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know the Ainslie kid personally, but from your comment I would say you know him pretty well. But what I have heard is he could be a bit of a pain. Playing time he deserved? Did he not start his whole Junior year? The kid had all the talent in the world, but some just can't put it all together. By the way Robbie Williams was the most fun player to watch out of that group.
Well I know him personally and he is an alright kid. of course, he may have gotten into some trouble but what high schooler doesnt? The way Wynn and Shurtz handled that situation was dumb. And Robbie Williams? There was no Robbie Williams in that group with Ainslie. Ainslie's class had A LOT of talent. It was Casey Ainslie, Nick Hall, Sayler Shurtz, Gavin Nolen, Eric Reed, Michael Spencer, Bryson Potts and some kids from Ewing and Akin. They could have been a great team but Wynn and Shurtz seem to have ran them all away.
tuff

United States

#24 Dec 5, 2010
Jo Jo, Keith Tabor , And the best all around was Billy Smith
Rngr Wtchr

Champaign, IL

#25 Dec 5, 2010
The BEST was Billy Smith, on and off the court. You don't see that as much anymore. And, geez, quit throwing blame everywhere but where it belongs.
Former Ranger

Evanston, IL

#26 Dec 5, 2010
Rngr Wtchr wrote:
The BEST was Billy Smith, on and off the court. You don't see that as much anymore. And, geez, quit throwing blame everywhere but where it belongs.
the blame goes with Wynn and Shurtz!!!
Outside Looking In

Carbondale, IL

#27 Dec 5, 2010
hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I know him personally and he is an alright kid. of course, he may have gotten into some trouble but what high schooler doesnt? The way Wynn and Shurtz handled that situation was dumb. And Robbie Williams? There was no Robbie Williams in that group with Ainslie. Ainslie's class had A LOT of talent. It was Casey Ainslie, Nick Hall, Sayler Shurtz, Gavin Nolen, Eric Reed, Michael Spencer, Bryson Potts and some kids from Ewing and Akin. They could have been a great team but Wynn and Shurtz seem to have ran them all away.
How exactly was it handled? Kid broke the law and then lied to his coach and everyone else about it. Never once did I hear that Ainslie wasn't allowed on the team.... That class had a little potential but nothing worth mentioning on here. Ainslie and Shurtz are the only ones that even come to mind from that class and they aren't even close to being in the same category to guys like Billy and Jo Jo.
Rngr Wtchr

Champaign, IL

#28 Dec 5, 2010
Yup, that's the answer to everything.
whatababy

United States

#29 Dec 5, 2010
Rich yunkus was teaching the labuwi boy a few things and wynn came in and ran him off. Says that he was learning enough at practices.
Jason R

Evanston, IL

#30 Dec 5, 2010
^^^^^ Enough said. And That class with Ainslie and Shurtz had A LOT of potential. If they all would have stuck together before Wynn ran them off they could have been great! You want to know how he ran them off? Because they had a rule that if they wanted to play basketball, they HAD to do two other sports!! I also know a few of the other players from that class. I know He ran Justin Gesell and Nick Hall off for nothing. Nick Hall was 6'6" with great potential and moved him down to JV because he missed 2 games for going to Cali to his brothers wedding. That is the kind of coach he was. How are you going to get a 16-17 year olds confidence up by doing that? Thats why he re-signed before he was fired hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! !!!!
hmm

Evanston, IL

#31 Dec 6, 2010
exactly
Ex Player

Herod, IL

#32 Dec 7, 2010
The rules have always been play one sport ya gotta play others too. I graduated in 99 and used to play open gym and pickup games with people like jo jo and randy and bill smith alot! they are twice the ball players at 40 and 50 yrs old that ainsles class is now and would ever be. Ive played a lot better talen that raby, fraulini, and ainsle ever dreamed of being! its all about being a team player and all around player. I got 9 varsity letters at bchs earned many all south honors and all conf honors as well in basketball as All BIT and all tourney team at Du Quoin...I wasnt the greatest player in BCHS history but I guarantee you go back and watch films I left it all on the court every game! I got my fair share of 20 and 30 point and double double games too!
-Preston Golliher #33
hahaha

United States

#33 Dec 7, 2010
Aww were you left out?? Nobody remembered you so you put yourself on the list..Haha and yea nick hall would have been great if wynn wouldn't have ran him off...
hahahahahahah

Herod, IL

#34 Dec 7, 2010
hahaha wrote:
Aww were you left out?? Nobody remembered you so you put yourself on the list..Haha and yea nick hall would have been great if wynn wouldn't have ran him off...
never even heard of Nick Hall and I still live in Benton...check the record books you dip shit...track basketball and x country...my name appears in all 3...dont believe it...ask coach shurts who rizzo is...better yet ya wanna ask me come on and ya can find out the easier way
veterain

Cortlandt Manor, NY

#35 Dec 7, 2010
hahaha wrote:
Aww were you left out?? Nobody remembered you so you put yourself on the list..Haha and yea nick hall would have been great if wynn wouldn't have ran him off...
you must be his mother
Nick Hall

Evanston, IL

#36 Dec 7, 2010
Why is my name mentioned in this forum? I do think that if my class would have stuck together through out high school, we'd made it to the sweet 16. Matt Wynn did not run me off. I made some bad mistakes by running with the wrong crowd so I chose partyin over sports. But I do regret it now and I should have listened to Matt Wynn when he came to my house and begged me to play. You can't say Raby, Fraulini, and Ainslie aren't great athletes because they are. Maybe not as good as the House's, Smith's, and the Jo Jo's but they were great h.s players.
Stud

United States

#37 Dec 8, 2010
JOJO JOHNSON
x ranger wrote:
There has been a lot great basketball players that played for Benton . Doug Collins , Bruce Baker , Herrin boys , JO JO Johnson , His dad , Shurtz boys. Benton was a big basketball town in 60s , 70s and early 80s . Benton Basketball has not been the same since Rich Herrin left.
benton fan

Lafayette, IN

#38 Dec 18, 2010
I was honestly thinking about rizzo being added in these list but he didn't play much thanks to Don Smith. But you know the best basketball player to ever be a ranger was the roper boy.....oh wait.
Bchs alum

Dallas, TX

#39 Dec 18, 2010
Whatever happenedbto Jo Jo?
traintrash

United States

#40 Dec 19, 2010
Bchs alum wrote:
Whatever happenedbto Jo Jo?
he is the manager at the old brew city. Train trash is the name I think. Or it should be. Just like brew city.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Benton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meth Miki and her Druggy BF'S 44 min Got out 30
Willie 1 hr Down under 3
Riddle me this! Why three?? Just visiting and c... 1 hr Heading south 10
Sara Wilce 2 hr crackmeup 10
Skank Wreck 7 hr jealous 31
haha 8 hr TAYLOR WAHL 81
Miki Dusty Blake doping it up Sun Tuesday 4
Benton Dating
Find my Match

Benton Jobs

Benton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Benton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Benton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]