Benton IL 5 year comprehensive report
Posted in the Benton Forum
#1 May 31, 2012
If you don't know what I'm speaking of, click here and read the story first:
I realize that I might be a little late in offering my input on this subject but there are some serious issues with this report:
1) Please make the draft available online for citizens to review. Much more feedback will be generated.
2) The 20 year plan is called a "guessing game." Well, of course it will be. A realistic 5 or 10 year plan would be more suitable. Furthermore, how about some goals and timelines for accomplishing them rather than just generalities. Then, let's hold some people accountable to seeing these things come through. Let's make achieving this plan a goal of our mayor, elected officials, economic development, etc. Better yet let's measure their performance against this plan. No progress = no pay.
2) Where is the newspapers' reporting on the proposed "small shopping mall to coincide with medical and pharmaceutical facilities on Bailey lane" actually supposed to go? Great opportunity for a spin off article. Let's get some more details on this. Does Bailey Lane really have extra space for homes and shopping malls? They say we need more housing but what about the community that was just recently developed...is that not good enough? And with all the housing units in town are we really lacking rental units?
3) We appreciate all the comparisons about all the other jobs in the area, other towns unemployment rates, but we can get this information easily online for free and it's really not "plan" material. Who really cares about the unemployment rate from 2000 or 2009? It's history. A plan should be forward thinking and focus on opportunities, not problems.
4) Good points were illustrated on bringing up potential DuQuoin Street and Interstate access improvements. However, we still have deplorable roads, curbless streets, and flooding issues. What is our infrastructure plan? What land do we need to look at now to plan for the future? That's what this report should be covering, right?
5) What did the last plan say and how good or bad do we compare to it? What went wrong and what do we need to do to prevent a repeat of history?
These are just my talking points, I would like to hear yours. If this report is simply going to be filed away in a drawer it serves no purpose.
#2 May 31, 2012
#3 May 31, 2012
Albert, you are a tool. Go away and STHU!
#4 Jun 1, 2012
To well written and not enough bashing to be written by Albert
#5 Jun 1, 2012
You guys are giving Albert way too much credit lol. The OP does have some valid points though. It is useless to have any plan in place if no one is going to have any accountability about getting it done or making sure that it gets dine by someone else.
#6 Jun 1, 2012
No Albert here. My name's not really important. Just an outsider looking in. And I think I know who you are speaking of - he's ran for a few elections and has written quite a few complainy letters to the newspaper before, right?
Add your comments below
|ryan harris confidential informant||1 hr||haha||17|
|Who is the best auto mechanic in town (Jul '08)||6 hr||Danny Estep is th...||60|
|IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10)||8 hr||B Hole||49,456|
|Ryan Dixon||17 hr||comical||4|
|Autum Wilce||17 hr||Dreamer||4|
|IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10)||22 hr||Corrupt Democrats||1,908|
Find what you want!
Search Benton Forum Now