Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#67908 May 31, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>WAit, your office is closed and you are reqquired to use vacation days on them? Granted its a nice problem to have, but that's like saying the office is closed on saturday & sunday, so we are going to charge you 2 vacation days.
Yep. It's common when you work manufacturing companies with factories. They'd often need to shut down the entire plant for a week to do maintenance on the machines and whatnot. So there is nothing for teh factor workers to do.

Where I used to work in IL, they made everyone take a week vacation the week of the 4th for this same purpose, but folks at corporate, such as me, weren't required to. Here it applies to everyone.

It's not a big deal, because I'd probably take off that week anyway. I don't like to work from Christmas to New Years.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#67909 May 31, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Chaperoning a grade school field trip sounds like the most boring way to spend a day away from work. I think I'd rather work.
Depends on the field trip. Like the aquarium is fun and Kennedy Space Center was so cool. We did a cool hands-on museum, too. It just depends.

Location hidden

#67910 May 31, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
And I'm with you on not using any of your 237 actual vacation days for field trips.
;)
I have a pension too, on top of matching 401k.

:p

“bELieve”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#67911 May 31, 2012
Stina wrote:
<quoted text>Depends on the field trip. Like the aquarium is fun and Kennedy Space Center was so cool. We did a cool hands-on museum, too. It just depends.
The 5th graders here go to Philly for a tour of historical sites. I can't wait for that one!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#67912 May 31, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, my parents did volunteer while I was growing up. Now that their kids are out of the house, my Dad is on the board of the YMCA in town and my Mom is on the Literacy Council and very involved in Rotary Club.
It is important to me that I lead by example for my boys, like my parents did and continue to do for me.
Volunteering was not something that was modeled in my upbringing, therefore it is unimportant to me.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#67913 May 31, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Volunteering was not something that was modeled in my upbringing, therefore it is unimportant to me.
It wasn't modeled to me, either (other than one aunt who's very much a giver that way), but it is important to me. But my time is even more important, so I will volunteer for things that have personal meaning to me, not babysit some 7yos on a hike through the woods.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#67914 May 31, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
It's not a big deal, because I'd probably take off that week anyway. I don't like to work from Christmas to New Years.
Other than being sick, I don't take multiple days in a row off ever unless Ihave a trip out of town planned. So the week from xmas to new years, if I was going to just be around the house, I'd not voluntarily take that time off.

If I was in your situation, I would just change the way I view things. To my way of thinking, you don't have 4 weeks of vacation. YOu have 3 weeks of vacation, but you have more company holidays. Cause to me, if the office is closed, that's a company holiday. Vacation is time that I get to use at MY discretion.

Actually, I'm curious as to why your company does not already categorize it as such. At my previous company, we did not get the day after thanksgiving off. At this one we do. The company is closed. It's considered a company holiday. Is there some financial benefit to the company for calling it vacation, but then mandating that you take it off during that week?

Madison, WI

#67915 May 31, 2012
I'm glad the 1st circuit ruled this way:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/31/us/massachusett...

Obviously I have some bias since I support gay marriage, but I think it's absurd for the Federal gov't to be able to take the position that marriage laws belong to the state at the same time it tries to decide which states' definition of marriage it finds acceptable for Federal purposes. If a state recognizes a marriage, then the Federal gov't should have no place to deny it.

The Republicans fighting this are so hypocritical.
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#67916 May 31, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
The 5th graders here go to Philly for a tour of historical sites. I can't wait for that one!
I think we do Epcot next year. I forget what the year after that is. Middle School is Washington DC.

Location hidden

#67917 May 31, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than being sick, I don't take multiple days in a row off ever unless Ihave a trip out of town planned. So the week from xmas to new years, if I was going to just be around the house, I'd not voluntarily take that time off.
If I was in your situation, I would just change the way I view things. To my way of thinking, you don't have 4 weeks of vacation. YOu have 3 weeks of vacation, but you have more company holidays. Cause to me, if the office is closed, that's a company holiday. Vacation is time that I get to use at MY discretion.
Actually, I'm curious as to why your company does not already categorize it as such. At my previous company, we did not get the day after thanksgiving off. At this one we do. The company is closed. It's considered a company holiday. Is there some financial benefit to the company for calling it vacation, but then mandating that you take it off during that week?
I think they do it that way, because they have a company wide policy for the number of vacation days you receive (although my boss intervened on my behalf and made them give me more than 2 weeks ... they wanted to do the same to him when he started and he told them no way).

However, they don't have a company wide policy for holidays. So not every part of organization has to take Good Friday off, for example. Not every part of the organization has to take the week of Christmas off.

Some parts of the organization have to take Martin Luther King off too, and I donít. Other parts have to take off the week of Thanksgiving. Those who work in HR don't have any mandatory days they must take off.

Location hidden

#67918 May 31, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
I'm glad the 1st circuit ruled this way:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/31/us/massachusett...
Obviously I have some bias since I support gay marriage, but I think it's absurd for the Federal gov't to be able to take the position that marriage laws belong to the state at the same time it tries to decide which states' definition of marriage it finds acceptable for Federal purposes. If a state recognizes a marriage, then the Federal gov't should have no place to deny it.
The Republicans fighting this are so hypocritical.
I don't agree with the underlying law, but I'm not so sure the federal government should have no say. I didn't look at the case very closely and just briefly saw an article, but doesn't this concern federal benefits? If the federal government has to pay these benefits, I don't see why it shouldn't have no say.

What if the state says that pologamy is legal and one dude dies and has 6 wives. Are you telling me the federal government has no choice but to pay all these widows and has no right to deny them benefits? I'm not so sure about that.

Madison, WI

#67919 May 31, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You only take off multiple days if you are traveling? Do you usually travel for the holidays? Seems a little strange to me. Do you think this will change once the kids get into school and have all those days off around the holidays, or are you going to find care for them?

I can't speak for Sub's company, but I think a lot of companies do things this way for a number of reasons. For one, large companies will have different regional and/or specific location needs/expectations. Official holidays are often set by corporate policy, so one location may not be able to get special permission. Another reason is that companies often treat some types of employees differently. While Sub gets 1,000 days a year off ;p, I suspect some of the lower-ranking employees don't get nearly as much time off. Companies don't want to pay hourly employees any more than they have to. They might only pay them when they work and on holidays (ie, they may not even get paid vacation), so calling Christmas week shut-down a holiday would cost more. I guess I've just seen companies treating such employees pretty bad, so I'm kinda cynical. Executives, management and lawyers don't get treated as bad, so they say "Hey, we'll give you 29 days of vacation, but you might have to use some of those for shutdown"

Madison, WI

#67920 May 31, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree with the underlying law, but I'm not so sure the federal government should have no say. I didn't look at the case very closely and just briefly saw an article, but doesn't this concern federal benefits? If the federal government has to pay these benefits, I don't see why it shouldn't have no say.
What if the state says that pologamy is legal and one dude dies and has 6 wives. Are you telling me the federal government has no choice but to pay all these widows and has no right to deny them benefits? I'm not so sure about that.
That's exactly what I'm saying. IMO, by overriding the power owned by the state, the Fed gov't is overstepping its bounds. States' rights are becoming fewer and fewer, and even those rights that are retained by the state are effectively overturned by de facto Federal policies.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#67921 May 31, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
Really? You only take off multiple days if you are traveling?
Pretty much, yes.
cycle003 wrote:
Do you usually travel for the holidays?
I do, but that is usually entails only taking the day after christmas off. We typically go to the parents. Xmas eve we drive out. Xmas day we celebrate. Day after, we drive back.

Sub said he's got the week off between xmas and new years. Up to now, I've never even considered doing such a thing. A week off is for a cruise, a ski trip, a week on a tropical island, etc. I've never taken a week off to stay in town.
cycle003 wrote:
Seems a little strange to me.
Seems pretty normal to me. Do you take a week of vacation to stay home?
cycle003 wrote:
Do you think this will change once the kids get into school and have all those days off around the holidays, or are you going to find care for them?
I imagine as life progresses, a lot will change due to the kids. I imagine we are going to have to plan any springtime vacation around their spring break. As for time off around christmas, we'd probably take turns. We've also discussed the possibility of non working grandma coming to get them and taking them to her place and then we get them back before xmas. We will play that by ear.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#67922 May 31, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's exactly what I'm saying. IMO, by overriding the power owned by the state, the Fed gov't is overstepping its bounds. States' rights are becoming fewer and fewer, and even those rights that are retained by the state are effectively overturned by de facto Federal policies.
Please, we've been over this, states do not get to act independently of the federal government. You seem to think that states should be able to do whatever they want and the federal government has no say. No, know your history, states do not get to pass laws that supercede the federal government. And Republicans are hypocritical? There's a laugh. How do you feel about the state of illinois superceding my federal right to bear arms?

“It made sense at the time....”

Schaumburg, IL

#67923 May 31, 2012
Jess in NJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you always do exactly the same thing with all three of your kids? Do you take them out separately based on their interests or say that you are doing X activity with your oldest and when the next turns that age you will take him to do that activity, just the two of you.
I'm not accusing here, just opening a new line of questioning up to everyone. My parents didn't do the same activities with all of us (like chaperone all our field trips just because they chaperoned for one of us), but we knew not to expect exact equal treatment. We still got fair treatment.
When we turned 16, my Dad took each of us on a business trip with him. I got to go to China. My brother went to Toronto (Dad wasn't working in China at that point). We have talked about it and he didn't feel short changed, but just took it as its own experience. My little bro declined his trip because he hates flying, but it was still offered to him.
wow! that must've been a neat experience - going on a trip, especialy China, with your dad! my dad was a "work is work, home is home" kind of employee. while i know that he did socialize outside of work with a couple guys, i don't think we ever went in to meet him for lunch, went to family events, etc. my mom was a SAHM, so she was active in whatever needed parents whenever they needed help. i don't really remember them doing X when we were 10, Y at 14, etc., or "well i did it for AS, so i need to do sometihng like that for Bro." we were both active in scouts, and my mom was acitive in both and dad was active w/ boy scouts.

But then, i could have not noticed and/or forgotten...

Schaumburg, IL

#67924 May 31, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>WAit, your office is closed and you are reqquired to use vacation days on them? Granted its a nice problem to have, but that's like saying the office is closed on saturday & sunday, so we are going to charge you 2 vacation days.
hubby works for a company that has stores open 5 days a week. everyone gets teh same number of vacations days and a set of "floating holidays" regardless of if they wrok in a store or in "headquarters". Those who work for headquarters have to take one of their floating holidays for teh day after thanksgiving since hte stores are open and they don't have one set of rules for the stores and another for HQ. and the store workers can take their floating holiday for Octember 32nd if they want...

Schaumburg, IL

#67925 May 31, 2012
i get 15 vaca days, and 3 "optional days" that are for "celebratign or observing any holiday not already on the corporate calendar"... we get presidents day and all teh standard holidays, so the optional days are for MLK, Good Friday, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Diwali, Ramadan services, etc. Or, for many of us, they're an extra 3 vacation days taht don't roll at the end of the year. THis is the first time i've been at a company long enough to get to 15 days (10 has been teh standard, or no work no pay), so i kinda don't know what to do with myself.... i managed ok last year on 10!

Location hidden

#67926 May 31, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
<quoted text>
These are federal benefits that are paid with federal tax dollars. Since it concerns federal dollars, I don't think the federal government should have no say in such things. If these were state benefits, you'd be right.

If Utah makes polygamy legal and some guy has 6 wives and dies are you telling me the federal government has no choice but to give them all benefits?

“bELieve”

Location hidden

#67927 May 31, 2012
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>wow! that must've been a neat experience - going on a trip, especialy China, with your dad! my dad was a "work is work, home is home" kind of employee. while i know that he did socialize outside of work with a couple guys, i don't think we ever went in to meet him for lunch, went to family events, etc. my mom was a SAHM, so she was active in whatever needed parents whenever they needed help. i don't really remember them doing X when we were 10, Y at 14, etc., or "well i did it for AS, so i need to do sometihng like that for Bro." we were both active in scouts, and my mom was acitive in both and dad was active w/ boy scouts.

But then, i could have not noticed and/or forgotten...
It was awesome! My dad and I have get along great and have many similar interests, including traveling. We also went to Vegas a couple months after I turned 21. He didn't do that with either of my brothers, but they do other things that I have no interest in.

About every other year, my parents give my middle bro and his wife a week in Hawaii as their anniversary/Christmas present. Bro covers the airfare (he travels a lot for work, so the flights are free) and my parents make it the same week as they go for their timeshare. As much as I like Hawaii, that would bore me. We go someplace different every year. This year we are meeting up with my parents in Williamsburg, which we did 4 years ago, but we have a mostly different itinerary.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bensenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min Bluestater 1,153,945
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Earthling-1 49,187
kalyan single jodi callll-08339890226 5 hr susil bhai 1
women are so shallow these days (Nov '11) 5 hr joey 86
428 homicides in 2013 6 hr joey 1
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 hr Sunshine 181,798
Whatever Happened To.. (Sep '08) 9 hr harlos1 12
Bensenville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bensenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bensenville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bensenville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:17 am PST