Buses to nowhere

Isn't it nice that the state of Vermont has decided to subsidize Greyhound bus service to "Southern Vermont," meaning South eastern Vermont, after the company announced it intends to end service to Brattleboro and other Vermont communities, not including Bennington. Full Story

Since: Feb 11

McHenry, MD

#2 Jun 10, 2012
Subsidize your food, subsidize your healthcare, subsidize your heating bills, subsidize your property taxes, subsidize your schools, subsidize your WalMart Super Center so Stevie can purchase 5 gallon jars of pickles and most importantly, subsidize your sewage treatment plant because God only knows Bennville is a leader in producing shit.....

Dear Editorial Person,
This is not the 50's and 60's when Bennville received bus service from what, five different bus lines???? By the late 70's all were gone having been swallowed up by Greyhound or they went belly up
due to poor ridership.... In the 90's Greyhound files Chapter 11, but then finds itself also being swallowed up by Laidlaw transportation of Canadia.... From 92 to 97 Greyhound was losing millions and finally showed a profit in 98 after being acquired by Laidlaw.... In 2001 Laidlaw petitions for Chapter 11 and in 2005 just as they are pulling themselves out of debt in walks First Group, a company based in Scotland, and buys them up debt and all, making it the largest transportation company in the world with 2.5 billion passengers per year, of which 20 million are Greyhound U.S. and Canadia passengers.... To put this into perspective, First Group employs over 136,000 people worldwide, 12,500 for Greyhound alone.... How do I know this???? I've owned their stock for the last 5 years.....

Now that you know who you're dealing with, what makes you think they are any different than any other large corporation in that they have stockholders to answer to for lost revenue in areas such as Bennville or Vermont for that matter????? How much money do you think these buses are generating going from Bennville to Albany with 3 passengers on board????? That's a 45,000lb vehicle which gets 10MPG if your lucky and a driver making $25 an hour....

My suggestion would be for Bennville County to establish their own transportation authority, funded by federal and state cash, to pick up where Greyhound left off.... First Group also operates
fixed route transportation on a smaller scale and works with counties and cities to see if they are beneficial in rural areas... That subsidiary works under their First Transit moniker
and also offers wheelchair assessable vans.....

Now what's cheaper, subsidizing a 12 passenger van or a fcking Greyhound bus?????
Would you please investigate the reasons why before establishing an opinion which is shit.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bennington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frustrated (Nov '13) 7 hr another markey fan 78
Help Wanted-Sistums Enjunear (Jan '14) 19 hr markey da masshole 71
Walmart protest in Bennington Fri face it markey 11
What type of town is Bennington (Sep '13) Dec 23 Elmer_J_Fudd 309
Vt. couple charged in child sex assault Dec 21 hillbilly stumpwater 3
Blast from the past (Jul '13) Dec 21 uaw markey masshole 3
Who is this new poster Mark Santelli? (Nov '10) Dec 20 another markey fan 14
Bennington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web