George Co. breaks ground on two safe rooms

Jul 14, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WLOX-TV Biloxi

George County residents looking for shelter when a disaster strikes, will soon have two new sturdy, safe facilities in their area.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
GC Change

Counce, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 15, 2011
 
Is there any federal $$$ for medical for George County?? Yes, these facilities will be full of ppl from the coast, I suspect, NOT from GC

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 15, 2011
 
GC Change wrote:
Is there any federal $$$ for medical for George County?? Yes, these facilities will be full of ppl from the coast, I suspect, NOT from GC
I would like to know this myself

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 15, 2011
 

Judged:

1

It will be full of folks from the coast and GC residents won't want to use it - I hope we can hire extra law enforcement. Big waste of money and it went to an out of town contractor.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 15, 2011
 

Judged:

1

I just read this article, these buildings will only hold 300 people and we have a 23,000 population, good luck if you want to get into one of them. I am amazed.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 15, 2011
 

Judged:

1

cipsaw wrote:
I just read this article, these buildings will only hold 300 people and we have a 23,000 population, good luck if you want to get into one of them. I am amazed.
What is wrong with these people vote there ass out what a waste of money
mythoughts

Mobile, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 15, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Maybe you would like to see some other county get this money that was set aside for shelters and George County get left out again?
Susie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 15, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

mythoughts wrote:
Maybe you would like to see some other county get this money that was set aside for shelters and George County get left out again?
Why is the federal government so stupid, to be spending money we don't have - we had to borrow this money from China. I had just as soon some other county have the money, a local contractor is not building it and George County will have to pay to keep these shelters up for people from other counties to use them. These shelters cost 1.6 million dollars, how often do we have a storm, 300 people can fit into one of them, just do a little math and figure out how much this all cost. If shelters were such a good idea, we would all go in debt and build one, that would make just as much sense. I say build them on the coast, let them pay the power bill, insurance, and maintenance, plus we will have to feed and take care of people that stay in them.
deepsouth92

Columbia, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 16, 2011
 
I feel safer already. Maybe we can raise chickens in them between storms.

How many jobs has this created for george county. If you can get the money great but at least have since enough to stipulate people of the county get to work to build them.

Poor planning and poor leadership.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 16, 2011
 

Judged:

1

deepsouth92 wrote:
I feel safer already. Maybe we can raise chickens in them between storms.
How many jobs has this created for george county. If you can get the money great but at least have since enough to stipulate people of the county get to work to build them.
Poor planning and poor leadership.
I totally agree 3.2 millions dollars in GC would help several people to have jobs and help the local merchants. It is very poor leadership. This has created nothing but another liability for us. The people of Sumrall will benefit.

Since: Aug 10

Lucedale, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 20, 2011
 
This is a great example of the federal government at work! They spent all of this money and I bet you cannot find an elected official who had anything to do with it.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 20, 2011
 
FishyWoman wrote:
This is a great example of the federal government at work! They spent all of this money and I bet you cannot find an elected official who had anything to do with it.
You seem to keep up with what goes on around town, what is with this Sumrall contractor getting all the work.
deepsouth92

Columbia, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 20, 2011
 
listen closely. Follow the money
deepsouth92

Columbia, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 21, 2011
 
we will all have a good place to live when we lose our houses because our supervisors have not brought any jobs to our area.

The only people they help is walt massey and the local gas stations burning up all that gas riding their fat buts around on our dime doing personal business.

oh I forgot all the places they eat at. Money grows on trees here apparently.

When I read in the paper that the school budget was 30 million a year I crapped my pants! 30 million and the schools are still broke. When our kids graduate from high school they should have a business degree from selling so much crap for the school over the years. My family runs every time they see us coming. I have enough cookie dough in the freezer to feed an army. Where does all this money go? Seriously this is a lot of money!
just_woderin

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 23, 2011
 
If you gave 640 families $5000 to help build shelters, the money would have been better spent and it would not cost the county another dime for maintenance or upkeep. Taken care of the George Countians would be the main goal.
just_woderin

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 23, 2011
 
I am talking about personal shelters on each families property, would be privately owned and privately kept, just thought I ought to clear that up.
dude

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 28, 2011
 
at least they are actually going to build them. the supervisors let a $750,000 grant for the merrill bridge expire. the merrill bridge is in beat 4, in case anybody is wondering.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 28, 2011
 
AND... remember what happened to the Super Dome After it was used as a shelter

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 28, 2011
 
I think the shelter is a waste of tax dollars, and it will just end up costing us money.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 28, 2011
 
39452ask wrote:
AND... remember what happened to the Super Dome After it was used as a shelter
George county is a far cry from New Orleans.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

just_woderin wrote:
If you gave 640 families $5000 to help build shelters, the money would have been better spent and it would not cost the county another dime for maintenance or upkeep. Taken care of the George Countians would be the main goal.
I have a family member that lives in Dothan, Alabama. I'm not sure if it was the state or F.E.M.A, But they installed small storm shelters on peoples personal property. Safe, underground shelters. I look at public shelters as a place that makes it easier for the government to count the bodies after a serious storm hits.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of35
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Flood Warning for George County was issued at April 19 at 11:33AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Benndale Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Benndale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••