Prison overcrowding a problem in West Virginia

Jan 31, 2010 Full story: www.wvva.com 113

An average of three new inmates a day in West Virginia's correctional system has left the state with a stark choice, build new prisons or change the system of crime and punishment.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
bubbles

Elkton, MD

#1 Mar 11, 2010
how about u get more officers there and let them be seen... havent figued out y i never see them, thought they where scard to come out,,,,
haha

Parkersburg, WV

#2 Mar 11, 2010
No we aren't scared. The prisons are overcrowded because morons like you can't obey laws, they like to steal, con, deal drugs, and kill. People, if you wanna stay out of jail - DON'T BREAK THE LAW, HOW MUCH COMMON SENSE DOES IT TAKE TO GET THAT?
haha

Parkersburg, WV

#3 Mar 11, 2010
One more thing, its not the publics fault that you get sent there!!!

Level 2

Since: Nov 09

Hinton

#4 Mar 11, 2010
Agreed. It's not our fault if you did something illegal and get sent to jail for it. You deserve it.

Prison overcrowding is a major problem everywhere though... I'm surprised WV didn't start having issues sooner.
beaners

United States

#5 Mar 11, 2010
The higher the poverty rate the higher the crime rate. i dont think the answer is lightening up on sentences. especially for drugs because that is the root of most criminal activity. if they could turn crimes like child abuse into a federal offense then some inmates could be shipped to a fed prison and alleviate the state prisons. they also spend more per inmate per year than a lot of people make @ work. thats bound to make them more comfy than they should be in there!
prayers for children

United States

#6 Mar 12, 2010
just pray for them and forgive them and love them God says in the bible thanks

Level 2

Hinton

#7 Mar 12, 2010
How is that even REMOTELY related to prison overcrowding?

Forgiveness doesn't make things legal to do, and it doesn't magically increase the dollars avaliable (or space) to keep people during their sentences.
free man

Charleston, WV

#8 Mar 13, 2010
they put too many people in jail for stupid stuff. if you've never been there, you have no say. people who put people in jail over stupid stuff should be put in jail too. let them know how it feels.
one dumbazz law is putting people in jail for child support. even if the person is paying something, if you go too far over in what you owe, you go to jail. how can you pay anythign while in jail? then if it hits 5000 dollars you owe, they take your drivers license. now how retarded is that?

Level 2

Hinton

#9 Mar 13, 2010
Frankly, if you had a kid then wind up oweing 5k in support for them, you deserve to be put in jail for failing to provide for your family. If you're not going to take care of your kids, don't have them.

We have a system of laws and what society decides is a fitting punishment. If you don't want to go to jail, don't break laws we send people to jail for. What kind of stupid stuff do you imagine we send people to jail over? Doing drugs (you're in the wrong...) Assault?(You shouldn't have hit someone)

For the record, it's the people that've broken enough laws to be put in jail that have no say. People doing something illegal don't get to decide their own punishment. If you don't like the punishment for a crime, don't commit the crime.
really now

Smoot, WV

#10 Mar 13, 2010
Who cares that they are overcrowded??? Life is not supposed to be pleasant in prison.

Level 2

Hinton

#11 Mar 13, 2010
It's not an issue of it being unplesant. The issue is that they have limits on how many people they're allowed to hold, and we're very quickly approaching that limit. Short of building new prisons or something like that, they'll have to resort to holding people in county jails.

It's the logistics that overcrowding messes with. Also, if we just squeeze more and more people in, it makes it hard to guarantee the safety of the guards and stuff like that.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#12 Mar 13, 2010
The policy seems to be more and more, if overcrowding occurs, let some out to make room for more:)..I guess that could be construed as making crime legal:)

Level 2

Hinton

#13 Mar 13, 2010
At the very least, it would give people the impression they'd not get jail time for committing a crime.

Probation is good in some circumstances, but a lot of people get by with skipping out on it because the cops don't care enough to do their jobs.

The entire country is dealing with these issues. We're either going to have to look at our system of punishment and change a lot there, or find some way to raise a lot of money to build new prisons. Short of that, I'm afriad, they are going to eventually start letting people walk.
John Galt

Lewisburg, WV

#14 Mar 13, 2010
2.3 million people in prison. China only has 1.6 million. Think there's something wrong here? Oh, yeah, I forgot. You two think America is perfect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/ameri...

Level 2

Hinton

#15 Mar 13, 2010
haha. Sure, because someone who openly says the prison system is failing, and is fighting for healthcare reform thinks America is perfect.

Yet again your logic astounds.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#16 Mar 13, 2010
Build more prisons. Find the money somewhere, from defense spending, whatever. But crime rates have gone down considerably since the early to mid 90s. There will always be debate as to why, but policing changes and the rise in prisoners is no coincidence.
Hello

Beckley, WV

#17 Mar 13, 2010
Reinstate the death penalty and put in an express lane! Eye for an eye will cut down on alot of the crime as well. Look at the other countries that do this and they seem to have low crime rates.
MamaB

Oak Hill, WV

#18 Mar 13, 2010
I watch the show "Lockup" alot,(probably too much) and can't imagine ever having to go to prison. I think we need more intervention programs for youth. Something along the lines of scared straight. Because I know that as an adult female watching this stuff, if I weren't straight before, I certainly would be after.
There is the problem with the whole "eye for an eye" issue. On the show last night, there was a man in jail during his trial on a murder charge. He thought he would be convicted and sentenced to life w/o parole or death. He figured he was doomed anyway, so he beat a man to death in the jail to get a rep and join a gang. If a person thinks he's going to be put to death for one murder, there's nothing to stop them from going on a rampage and killing more than one.
Just my thoughts on the subject.
Solutions

Oak Hill, WV

#19 Mar 13, 2010
There are too many people incarcerated in the US. It's an overwhelming problem caused largely by "tough on crime" politicians and the prohibition of drugs. The simple solution is to legalize most drugs for the use by adults and keep the prisons for the real criminals like rapists, pedophiles, thieves, and murderers.

Level 2

Hinton

#20 Mar 13, 2010
Hello: Those countries that do that are also barbaric. Their systems don't work at all. Don't be an idiot.'Eye for an eye' didn't work when it was made, and it doesn't work now.

Solutions: I pretty much agree with you. If you took out jail time for 'minor crimes' and let prison for the really bad people, it might not be such a bad situation.

MamaB: I've never seen that show, but you have a really good point. When someone thinks they're getting put to death they don't exactly have any incentive to be reasonable or not beat someone to death for looking at them the wrong way.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeb Bush exploring 2016 POTUS run 8 min Homo Erectus 81
New Brunette waitress at Macado's 52 min I know who 6
I'm Surprised... No thread on the NYC Cops tha... 58 min Lesson Learned 5
Finally Obama does something right 1 hr hurt by Catro N f... 20
Help with Chistmas 1 hr IDC 15
To the murderer 2 hr interested party 2
Swingers?? 2 hr cindi 3
why do black men prefer white women? (May '14) 3 hr DIRTY ROTTEN OLD MAN 404
Beckley Dating
Find my Match