Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Dec 8, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cmw

Greenville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 9, 2008
 
Has anybody heard about the Gap closing in the mall? I know BMoss is going out of business.
Mall Shopper

Greenville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 9, 2008
 
The Gap is closing. My wife spoke to employees today about it. She is disappointed.
April

Montgomery, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 9, 2008
 
my friend works at american eagle and he told me that GAP is not closing. he said it has been on the table for some time, but they have decided not to close. It does seem like everything is closing. We aren't even going to have a mall pretty soon.
RETAIL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 9, 2008
 
IF YOU ASK THE RIGHT PERSON, YOULL GET THE INFO. ASK A MANAGER. BUT FOR SURE THE STORES ARE CLOSING: FRIEDMANS AND BMOSS. ALL THE STORES CALLED STEVE N BARRYS WHICH IS AT THE MERCER MALL IS CLOSING, NATIONWIDE THEY SELL COLLEGECLOTHING AND STUFF LIKE THAT. ALSO, LINEN N THINGS NATIONWIDE IS CLOSING
1 post removed
MEEE

Marietta, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 10, 2008
 
It was on WVVA that Gap, B. Moss, and somewhere else in the mall, I can't remember where are closing. Gap closes January 23 or 24th, the other 2 close at the end of the year.
MEEE

Marietta, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 10, 2008
 
Sorry, the other is Whitehall Jewelers... here is the article:

http://www.wvva.com/Global/story.asp...

“......Country Girl......”

Since: Nov 08

Pine Grove, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 10, 2008
 
RETAIL wrote:
IF YOU ASK THE RIGHT PERSON, YOULL GET THE INFO. ASK A MANAGER. BUT FOR SURE THE STORES ARE CLOSING: FRIEDMANS AND BMOSS. ALL THE STORES CALLED STEVE N BARRYS WHICH IS AT THE MERCER MALL IS CLOSING, NATIONWIDE THEY SELL COLLEGECLOTHING AND STUFF LIKE THAT. ALSO, LINEN N THINGS NATIONWIDE IS CLOSING
Steve and Barry's is not closing all across the nation. You can clearly go to their website and see this. They closed 100 stores across the nation including all of them in the state of WV.
Troubled

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 10, 2008
 
I am so sad I love the Gap its where I get all my cute clothes!!!

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 10, 2008
 
These stores have trouble making it for several reasons, one is the current economic climate but malls have been losing stores for years and with good reason, mall rent is high, very high that is the reason that K & W closed at crossroads. Their business was good enough to keep them open had they been a free standing store away from a mall. Winston-Salem's K&W's all thrive. From what I have been told Crossroads rent is higher then most malls in this area and I don't really see any reason for that. Add to the fact that these stores just cannot compete with Wal-Mart,they don't have the buying power, and specialty stores have certain people that they cater to and Wal-Mart caters to every one. Wal-Mart will kill Crossroads just as Crossroads and the Raleigh Mall before it killed down town Beckley. Stores such as Sears and Penny's will go the same way as Montgomery Ward did. For reasons I cannot understand people these days don't want to shop in an old fashioned department store where you actually get service and the employees know at least a little bit about the products being sold. I myself could care less about malls. The only store at Crossroads that I shop at on a regular basis is Waldenbooks. It would be a shame though to see Beckley's only book store fold as we already lost Bookland a few years ago. I also think to closing of the theaters hurt business but you can't blame Marquee for wanting out of the high rent. Once they pay for their new building they'll make a lot more profit than they would if they were stuck in the mall. I myself would prefer to see downtown come back to life. When I was a kid Wards, Penny's, all the theaters were downtown. Not to mention Murphy's, Grants and a host of other great places to shop. But alas the malls killed it and it now is just a bunch of banks, offices,and bums. I've told my wife time and time again that some day we will all have to bow to the three gods;Wal-Mart, McDonalds and Disney as they will replace republicans, democrats and independents. Sad, but I guess the only thing we could do is stop shopping there.
You asked for it

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 10, 2008
 
jedi83 wrote:
These stores have trouble making it for several reasons, one is the current economic climate but malls have been losing stores for years and with good reason, mall rent is high, very high that is the reason that K & W closed at crossroads. Their business was good enough to keep them open had they been a free standing store away from a mall. Winston-Salem's K&W's all thrive. From what I have been told Crossroads rent is higher then most malls in this area and I don't really see any reason for that. Add to the fact that these stores just cannot compete with Wal-Mart,they don't have the buying power, and specialty stores have certain people that they cater to and Wal-Mart caters to every one. Wal-Mart will kill Crossroads just as Crossroads and the Raleigh Mall before it killed down town Beckley. Stores such as Sears and Penny's will go the same way as Montgomery Ward did. For reasons I cannot understand people these days don't want to shop in an old fashioned department store where you actually get service and the employees know at least a little bit about the products being sold. I myself could care less about malls. The only store at Crossroads that I shop at on a regular basis is Waldenbooks. It would be a shame though to see Beckley's only book store fold as we already lost Bookland a few years ago. I also think to closing of the theaters hurt business but you can't blame Marquee for wanting out of the high rent. Once they pay for their new building they'll make a lot more profit than they would if they were stuck in the mall. I myself would prefer to see downtown come back to life. When I was a kid Wards, Penny's, all the theaters were downtown. Not to mention Murphy's, Grants and a host of other great places to shop. But alas the malls killed it and it now is just a bunch of banks, offices,and bums. I've told my wife time and time again that some day we will all have to bow to the three gods;Wal-Mart, McDonalds and Disney as they will replace republicans, democrats and independents. Sad, but I guess the only thing we could do is stop shopping there.
SAD, but true.
Mountaineer

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 11, 2008
 
jedi83 wrote:
These stores have trouble making it for several reasons, one is the current economic climate but malls have been losing stores for years and with good reason, mall rent is high, very high that is the reason that K & W closed at crossroads. Their business was good enough to keep them open had they been a free standing store away from a mall. Winston-Salem's K&W's all thrive. From what I have been told Crossroads rent is higher then most malls in this area and I don't really see any reason for that. Add to the fact that these stores just cannot compete with Wal-Mart,they don't have the buying power, and specialty stores have certain people that they cater to and Wal-Mart caters to every one. Wal-Mart will kill Crossroads just as Crossroads and the Raleigh Mall before it killed down town Beckley. Stores such as Sears and Penny's will go the same way as Montgomery Ward did. For reasons I cannot understand people these days don't want to shop in an old fashioned department store where you actually get service and the employees know at least a little bit about the products being sold. I myself could care less about malls. The only store at Crossroads that I shop at on a regular basis is Waldenbooks. It would be a shame though to see Beckley's only book store fold as we already lost Bookland a few years ago. I also think to closing of the theaters hurt business but you can't blame Marquee for wanting out of the high rent. Once they pay for their new building they'll make a lot more profit than they would if they were stuck in the mall. I myself would prefer to see downtown come back to life. When I was a kid Wards, Penny's, all the theaters were downtown. Not to mention Murphy's, Grants and a host of other great places to shop. But alas the malls killed it and it now is just a bunch of banks, offices,and bums. I've told my wife time and time again that some day we will all have to bow to the three gods;Wal-Mart, McDonalds and Disney as they will replace republicans, democrats and independents. Sad, but I guess the only thing we could do is stop shopping there.
There is one more addition to probable cause...as it were.

On-line shopping. There's nothing like doing your shopping at home (or work.. hope the boss won't see this) on-line. Now that almost any delivery is free at holidays it's almost a no brainer. Delivered right to your home, or office if it's for your family.

There's no way I'm getting out on "Black Friday".. I can get the same deals from my house.. and the mall??? Forget about it.

I must say, the point about the rent being so high is right on the money.. it is expensive to have a store there.. Go to the Charleston Mall.. that place is little to nothing now. All the good stores have moved to Corridor G just down the road.. better parking too.

I also, would like to see downtown stores open again. I would forgo even my on-line shopping for just the experience of going through the town again from shop to shop..
hillbillychick

Whitehouse, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 11, 2008
 
B. Moss is closing but there is no positive date as to when. Where WVVA got their info, I'm not sure. B. Moss closes stores every Monday. The B. Moss at Crossroads Mall could go as early as this Monday. Gap will be closed as reported.

“Just a Mountaineer”

Level 1

Since: Feb 08

Beckley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 11, 2008
 
I hope Steve and Barry's dont close. I love that store. When we go to WVU's games, we always go and get our shirts and hoodies there. I'll guess if they do close, I'll need to go and stock up on my Mountaineer shirts.
melissa

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 11, 2008
 
I really don't think that the media helps. They blow things out of proportion just like the y2k thing and everyone was in such a panic...everyone is now just ready to throw in the towel. I realize that we ARE having some issues but I don't think that people/businesses should give up so easily. Maybe make SOME cuts and watch spending, etc. but to totally close up everything and all stores I don't agree with. Every situation is different, yes...I understand that too. It takes GOOD accounting and bookkeeping also and not being so frivolous with extra spending.

“......Country Girl......”

Since: Nov 08

Pine Grove, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 11, 2008
 
juicepole wrote:
I hope Steve and Barry's dont close. I love that store. When we go to WVU's games, we always go and get our shirts and hoodies there. I'll guess if they do close, I'll need to go and stock up on my Mountaineer shirts.
All the Steve and Barry's in West Virginia are already closed. There are still many out of state that I not closing.

“......Country Girl......”

Since: Nov 08

Pine Grove, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 11, 2008
 
I meant to say that Steve and Barrys out of state are NOT all closing. They closed 100 stores all across the nation.
cmw

Greenville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 12, 2008
 
Lets add KB Toy to the list. I seen on Headline News that all of their 400 stores were closing, and if I heard right, it may be before Christmas.
I wish the Family Toy Warehouse would have never closed. Now, other than Wal-mart, we dont really have a good toy store around here.

Level 1

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 12, 2008
 
I hope we get to keep our Fashion Bug. They are the only store in Beckley that have upto date fashions. Expensive but you get what you pay for .
MEEE

Forney, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 13, 2008
 
It was on CBS59 last night that KB Toys is closing all of their stores nationwide...

“......Country Girl......”

Since: Nov 08

Pine Grove, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 13, 2008
 
MEEE wrote:
It was on CBS59 last night that KB Toys is closing all of their stores nationwide...
The report I heard on the news was they were in bankruptcy court but there was no word yet on what stores would be closing.
Steve and Barrys was also in bankruptcy court and their strategic plan was to close 100 stores across the nation and that is why the ones here locally closed.
Just because a place has filed for bankruptcy or protection from it, doesn't mean they are closing all the way, sometimes they can restructure.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Beckley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Beckley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beckley
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••