Anyone Know Anyone that Went to work in CANADA or AUSTRALIA Coal mines?

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 1

Since: May 12

Charleston, WV

#1 May 22, 2012
Last month, April 11th there was a job fair at the Tamarack. My question is concerning a Vendor/Contractor who was there representing a company from colorado who was recruiting for coal companies that were located in Australia and Canada. Does anyone know of someone that actually went to work for this company?If so where and how I have a son who is considering a position with this company and am concerned about what he may be getting himself into. Any info at all be good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
:)

Oceana, WV

#2 May 22, 2012
John25301 wrote:
Last month, April 11th there was a job fair at the Tamarack. My question is concerning a Vendor/Contractor who was there representing a company from colorado who was recruiting for coal companies that were located in Australia and Canada. Does anyone know of someone that actually went to work for this company?If so where and how I have a son who is considering a position with this company and am concerned about what he may be getting himself into. Any info at all be good or bad would be greatly appreciated.
There is good talk about the one in australia. It's built under water. They get paid a ton of money and if the coal fails here, my husband talks about going there. It's not a catch. And it's Wayyy better money than you make here...
Worker

Charleston, WV

#3 May 22, 2012
Name of company?

Level 1

Charleston, WV

#4 May 22, 2012
[QUOTE who=":)"]<quoted text>
There is good talk about the one in australia. It's built under water. They get paid a ton of money and if the coal fails here, my husband talks about going there. It's not a catch. And it's Wayyy better money than you make here...[/QUOTE]

Did they mention anything about signing a 2 year contract with them to your husband? My concern with the signing of the 2 year contract is mainly safety oriented, if he gets out there and they try to get him to do something unsafe and he refuses, im concerned about the financial losses he may face by breaking the contract, considering it's not a US company and the lack of inspectors/regulators, im concerned that the safety focus may be less than desirable for anyone that worked there . Why else would they need to come all the way here to find workers?

Since: Apr 10

Chicago, IL

#5 May 22, 2012
Yeah, it is good $, but what they don't tell you is that the US Government takes half of the pay, so it is no better than mining coal here, as far as $ goes.
burkey_guy

United States

#6 May 23, 2012
There is a certain amount of money you can send back to the US but om not sure what it is. But they can't tax it. Just some info
burkey_guy

United States

#7 May 23, 2012
Kind of crazy to think about but at one time we was bringing people from other countries to work in the coal mines here now other countries are coming here to get us to work over there. Crazy isn't it.
wvu

Beaver, WV

#8 May 23, 2012
Safety regulations are stricter in Canada and Australia than they are here.

“Pro Union - Enviro Vigilante”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Craigsville , WV

#9 May 23, 2012
wvu wrote:
Safety regulations are stricter in Canada and Australia than they are here.
Don Blankenship runs the mines over there ...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#10 May 23, 2012
I talked to a girl today who had just come back from Australia with her husband. She said he worked 7 days on and 7 days off but had the option to work an additional 3 days if he wanted. Said he was paid $65 an hour and even though the cost of living was twice the amount here they were able to save a lot of money. She also said she lost about 40 pounds while she was there because the food is healthier without additives and chemicals (her opinion) and the warm weather encourages outdoor activity. She said she worked as a cashier in a cafe and made $20 an hour. Heck I was ready to sign up.

If you have the company name you can google them to find more information.

Location hidden

#11 May 23, 2012
correction: cost of living twice the amount as here....
Interested

Richwood, WV

#12 May 23, 2012
Lesson Learned wrote:
correction: cost of living twice the amount as here....
BS....go man go cause we are going to hell here in the states you will love the change and if not you can always come back....but If I were young ND is the place to roll.
Interested

Richwood, WV

#13 May 23, 2012
PS there is other mining all over the world, screw coal.

Location hidden

#14 May 23, 2012
Interested wrote:
<quoted text>BS....go man go cause we are going to hell here in the states you will love the change and if not you can always come back....but If I were young ND is the place to roll.
I was just kidding...I'm too old to go anywhere. ND sounds good...if I were a young man(or maybe woman) I would go there and get experience to bring back to the WV gas fields when they get going.

Level 6

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#15 May 23, 2012
Interested wrote:
PS there is other mining all over the world, screw coal.
Thee are many types of mining in Australia.
1 post removed
Interested

Richwood, WV

#17 May 23, 2012
Only if we were 20 yrs younger.. : )
Just me

Beaver, WV

#18 May 23, 2012
Bounty Limited is probably the name of the company. You can Google it.

My husband and I looked into it a year or so ago. Pay is taxed at the Australian rate. However, you get a tax-free living allowance which was $8000 at the time. Base pay was about $120,000 a year, not including bonuses. They also set aside 9% of your pay (in addition to what you make) in an account and you get that money when you come back to the US. They also fly your family there and pay half your families airfair to come back one time a year. You are resposible for getting yourself back to the US once your contract is up.

Everyone I have talked to who has went, love it. And one family is even giving up their US citizenship to stay in Australia.
please

United States

#19 May 23, 2012
The one that my husband looked into was about the same as everyone has said but he had to live "on base" at the mines away from his family while he worked. That is why he turned it down. Being away from the family for days at a time was not worth the money.

Level 1

Charleston, WV

#20 May 23, 2012
Ok, sounds like Australia would be a good deal, but he is actually been offered a job in Canada. Anybody know anyone that works there?
Youngn

New York, NY

#21 May 23, 2012
I'm goin. Australia

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ferguson protests planned everywhere if Darren ... 4 min ConcernedCitizen 56
Darren Wilson 21 min ConcernedCitizen 24
Beckley official caught with pants down 3 hr Sad2bCnUH8 16
rachel simmons and randy prince 3 hr mike 1
WV Senator Jeff Mullins, "Congratulations" 6 hr r stewart 30
WOE BE to the Beckley Common Council 6 hr Sad2bCnUH8 9
Michael chambers 7 hr sistersalvation 3
Beckley Dating
Find my Match

Beckley People Search