Clothing for the needy

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dog Lover

Dover, OH

#1 Dec 28, 2011
If you are in need of clothing, there is a place in Shady right after Zappers pizza on the right hand side, it is where the hardware store used to be. Clothing is free, I believe the limit is two bags. Sure beats the following:
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/salvati...
2cents

Uneeda, WV

#2 Dec 28, 2011
Dog Lover wrote:
If you are in need of clothing, there is a place in Shady right after Zappers pizza on the right hand side, it is where the hardware store used to be. Clothing is free, I believe the limit is two bags. Sure beats the following:
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/salvati...
There is a business aspect to non profits they have employees and people to do the mountains of paper work that needs to be done. The CEO of the Salvation Army yearly salary looks appropriate now look at the other charity's CEO's that is way out of proportion to that fact they are a non profit. So in my humble opinion I would not try to demonize the Salvation Army.

Since: Jun 10

Topix

#3 Dec 28, 2011
Golly, that website is fanatical. You can scroll down to "Wrong Priorities" on this page and see more of how bad they've got it out for the Salvation Army.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer 's%20Corner/Doctrines/judgment .htm

Since: Jun 10

Topix

#4 Dec 28, 2011
Sorry, I was called away from the computer for a few minutes and came back to see that link didn't work, but this one provides a fair sampling...

http://jesus-is-savior.com/

But really, clothing banks shouldn't be compared to The Salvation Army.
Master Blaster

Beckley, WV

#5 Dec 29, 2011
Its sad there are so many wolves in sheep,s clothing now days you really have to do your homework if you wish to donate to some good cause and realize while sometimes so called non profits are not completely non profit and actually profit far more than we like to think as citizens. However some causes in spite of the fact they do profit and more than likely what they are doing is legal but it don't seem right to you or I they get to profit that much. Myself I try to look at it another way someone needs help and they do get it just not as much or as many as we'd like to see as citizens but if we did not donate then none of them would get help that really need it. Its a shame that people use good causes to profit from and the unsuspecting think what wonderful people or causes they are when if they did a lil research they might be disappointed.
Dog Lover

United States

#6 Dec 29, 2011
No it is not way out of proportion. When coal miners risk their lives to make 70 to 80 grand and risk it every day, these so called charities are a front for money making scams. That is my take on it. I donated more than onece to he Salvation Army when there was hurricanes and they asked for donations. Then my situation turned and I had to go to them and ask for money on a power bill. They said they had no money. Then after research I found out why when employees and the CEO are raking it in, along with these other so called "non-profit" charites. I do believe the IRS needs to change their status to a business status and make them pay taxes like other business's.
http://www.charitywatch.org/hottopics/Top25.h...
I could think of a 100 people in Raliegh County that could be lifted out of the poverty level by the red cross ceo's pay. 86 people out of poverty by the ceo of United Way. 250 for Sloan Kettering CEO and 220 For American Cancer Society CEO. I stand by my belief it is better to give to a charity that gives the clothing & food away FREE or give it to a family DIRECTLY. These other "charities" live high on the hog while the most Americans are struggling to make it.

“Bored with insomnia”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#7 Dec 30, 2011
But what is really sad is the people that are going to this place don't "need" to, they are going to get a hand out. People who drive brand new suburbans do not need free clothing, sorry. I donate all of our stuff to this place because there are alot of people that need help and go to this place for that help, but I get irritated to pieces when I see all the high priced vehicles there taking up the free stuff that people in actual need should be getting. And on a serious note, for those who do go to the closet the parking lot doesn't stretch to the other building, there is a road there please don't block it :)

“Ain't you got a jack?”

Level 5

Since: Nov 11

Deepest Darkest Appalachia

#8 Dec 30, 2011
Brandycwv wrote:
But what is really sad is the people that are going to this place don't "need" to, they are going to get a hand out. People who drive brand new suburbans do not need free clothing, sorry. I donate all of our stuff to this place because there are alot of people that need help and go to this place for that help, but I get irritated to pieces when I see all the high priced vehicles there taking up the free stuff that people in actual need should be getting. And on a serious note, for those who do go to the closet the parking lot doesn't stretch to the other building, there is a road there please don't block it :)
I have a lot of clothes that my child has outgrown, most of it is like new, and I had thought about that one where Glenwood's used to be, but after seeing the kinds of vehicles parked there on Saturday mornings I wouldn't give them even one thread off an old hankie. If people kind drive those kinds of cars, surely they can afford to buy something to wear. Don't they take income into consideration?

“Ain't you got a jack?”

Level 5

Since: Nov 11

Deepest Darkest Appalachia

#9 Dec 30, 2011
Can, not kind.

“Ain't you got a jack?”

Level 5

Since: Nov 11

Deepest Darkest Appalachia

#10 Dec 30, 2011
Furthermore, what does Helping Hands do these days? They won't help anyone either. I know they used to give outdated food and deer meat and such and would also help people pay bills, but now they say they don't have money to help anyone.

“I aint hurt it none bro”

Level 2

Since: Dec 11

get over it

#11 Dec 30, 2011
I live close to a give away place. This Christmas they gave away Christmas dinners, toys, clothes, coats...ect.

I saw two brand new trucks pull into the parking lot, one hummer LOL, a caddy, a navigator....
One guy in coal mining strippy's sat in his big 4 by 4 ford 250 ....complete with a chrome roll bar and five hundred dollar tires on it, while his wife and kid went in to get the freebies LOL....

Sad part is......
They ran out of things by 3pm...many truly needy families were turned away.
brandycwv

Beckley, WV

#12 Dec 30, 2011
Super Nifty Name wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a lot of clothes that my child has outgrown, most of it is like new, and I had thought about that one where Glenwood's used to be, but after seeing the kinds of vehicles parked there on Saturday mornings I wouldn't give them even one thread off an old hankie. If people kind drive those kinds of cars, surely they can afford to buy something to wear. Don't they take income into consideration?
I know it irritates me to pieces that these people are taking free handouts from people that really do need it because they are greedy. I wish that you had to have some kind of voucher or something to be able to get the stuff.

“Ain't you got a jack?”

Level 5

Since: Nov 11

Deepest Darkest Appalachia

#13 Dec 30, 2011
Is that place still run by the Open Door church?
Helpout

Beckley, WV

#14 Dec 30, 2011
I work at a local business and I know for a fact that Pine Haven homeless shelter takes used clothing, shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, etc. Also, food donations. Please keep this organization in mind. I would love to see churches and businesses get behind this organization. I used to live in a large city and the churches each took one night a week and made large pots of soup and bread or just any meal and dropped it off at the shelter. With many churches helping, each one only had to cook twice a month. One church delivered pizza for their meals and it was so great to see people enjoy that pizza! The little small things we take for granted mean so much to someone who is literally living day to day not knowing what the future holds. January is coming and thus the closet cleaning begins. Please remember Pine Haven before you donate elsewhere. If we all donated just one bag of food, or one bag of good, used clothes, think what Beckley could do for the residents there! Also, if you want to meet specific needs, such as pillows, etc. just give them a call. I'm sure they can let you know what is needed most. Just to be clear, I do not work there and I'm not affiliated with their organization. Just someone who knows that small things make a huge difference when life is tough.
brandycwv

Beckley, WV

#15 Dec 30, 2011
Helpout wrote:
I work at a local business and I know for a fact that Pine Haven homeless shelter takes used clothing, shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, etc. Also, food donations. Please keep this organization in mind. I would love to see churches and businesses get behind this organization. I used to live in a large city and the churches each took one night a week and made large pots of soup and bread or just any meal and dropped it off at the shelter. With many churches helping, each one only had to cook twice a month. One church delivered pizza for their meals and it was so great to see people enjoy that pizza! The little small things we take for granted mean so much to someone who is literally living day to day not knowing what the future holds. January is coming and thus the closet cleaning begins. Please remember Pine Haven before you donate elsewhere. If we all donated just one bag of food, or one bag of good, used clothes, think what Beckley could do for the residents there! Also, if you want to meet specific needs, such as pillows, etc. just give them a call. I'm sure they can let you know what is needed most. Just to be clear, I do not work there and I'm not affiliated with their organization. Just someone who knows that small things make a huge difference when life is tough.
I am getting ready to move and will be donating alot of stuff, I usually do donate to the clothing closet because it is so close. But I will call Pine Haven as well and see about donating some there too.
angeline

Nitro, WV

#16 Dec 30, 2011
There is a consignment store also that takes donations and they help people in need. From what my aunt says (she has donated to them) they price donations very low but if someone has a need they do give clothes to help whoever needs it. I think that is a good way to do too.
brandycwv

Beckley, WV

#17 Dec 30, 2011
angeline wrote:
There is a consignment store also that takes donations and they help people in need. From what my aunt says (she has donated to them) they price donations very low but if someone has a need they do give clothes to help whoever needs it. I think that is a good way to do too.
Where is it. I will have several large totes of clothes and toys so I would like to donate at the most needed places.

“Ain't you got a jack?”

Level 5

Since: Nov 11

Deepest Darkest Appalachia

#18 Dec 30, 2011
Once I called the homeless shelter and they told me they wouldn't accept any clothing donations because the people there just threw them around and made a mess of everything. The Womens Resource Center also refused donations because the clothing I had wasn't for Summer.
brandycwv

Beckley, WV

#19 Dec 30, 2011
Super Nifty Name wrote:
Once I called the homeless shelter and they told me they wouldn't accept any clothing donations because the people there just threw them around and made a mess of everything. The Womens Resource Center also refused donations because the clothing I had wasn't for Summer.
Wow. can they not put it up for the appropriate season.
1 post removed

“Ain't you got a jack?”

Level 5

Since: Nov 11

Deepest Darkest Appalachia

#21 Dec 30, 2011
Apparently not. I also know of man whose wife passed away and he wanted to give her clothes away and the Womens Resource Center would not take his either. What bugs me is that I know good and well that somewhere out there, there is someone who could use this stuff, and I don't want it going to someone who's going to use it just for their own greedy agenda.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
southern regional jail , beaver wv 6 min tired 1
When does LIEAP start - does anyone know? (Oct '10) 10 min fighting for the ... 40
Goodwill Black Friday Sale 1 hr RickFromGoodwill 1
Beckley official caught with pants down 1 hr SweetmamaJen 14
Republicans give up on Benghazi 1 hr Wolf 12
President Obama to lay out is Immigration plan ... 2 hr Sam 47
Where is Shootist? 3 hr Blackhawk 4
why do black men prefer white women? (May '14) 5 hr Boogie Hoskins 349
Beckley Dating
Find my Match

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Beckley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beckley

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:43 am PST

CBS Sports 6:43AM
Steelers expecting to get Troy Polamalu, Ryan Shazier back on D
Bleacher Report 8:50 AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Philadelphia Eagles: Live Tennessee Score and Analysis
NBC Sports 8:55 AM
Reggie Bush inactive, LeGarrette Blount active in New England
NBC Sports11:14 AM
LeGarrette Blount scores as Patriots lead Lions
Bleacher Report 2:48 PM
Tennessee Titans vs. Philadelphia Eagles: Video Highlights, Recap from Week 12