, News from Liberal and Seward County, Kansas

Apr 27, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Southwest Daily Times

Poetry Month wraps up at the library The days are getting warmer The sun is out brighter And April showers and poems Bring May tulips and poetry readings Join us in concluding April's National Poetry Month with ... via Southwest Daily Times

Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated May 2, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Allen Family

Sun Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 10, 2008
 

Judged:

1

My family used to live in Liberal as well- when Liberal was a nice, family-oriented town. What's it like now? Do y'all still have pancake day and the parade? Is it still a nice, safe place?
Thanks for the update.
Pamela @ pmdeane@sbcglobal.net
ILA_H

Pratt, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 24, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

WE RECENTLY MOVED FROM LIBERAL AND WITH GREAT PLEASURE. LIBERAL IS NO LONGER THE TOWN WE GREW UP IN AND NO LONGER A FAMILY-ORIENTED PLACE. THE CRIME RATE IS THE SECOND IN THE STATE, AND NUMEROUS OTHER REASONS TO MOVE. EVERY WHITE PERSON THAT CAN IS MOVING OUT.
WE DECIDED TO LET THEM HAVE IT.
Pam

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 7, 2008
 
I disagree with Ila, I have lived in Liberal for 35 years..hated it when I moved here but now like it very much. Our population is very divers but many great people of all races live here & for the most part we get along just fine. I have learned a lot about not judging people till you get to know them by living here. I always assume that people are good till I get to know them & occasionally find that they aren't. I know thousands of white people that don’t seem to be wanting out. I guess it just depends on your outlook & attitude! Come back & visit…it is a great place to live & you can have a great life, each & every day!
Pam

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 7, 2008
 

Judged:

1

Sorry....I misspelled diverse in line 2.
Kimberly

Liberal, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 8, 2008
 
Lia is exaggerating. In addition, if she's still using words like "them" in 2008, then she should have moved away from Liberal a long time ago.

Liberal is growing and is still a nice place to live. I was born and raised in Liberal and I'm still here. I love it, and I'm here to stay. Liberal provides a home environment for families, friends, and love ones. Yes, Liberal has crime just like every other state. If you stay saved, remain in Christ, and recieve Him in your heart daily then you'll see the positive things Liberal has to offer on a daily basis.

Lia, trust me when I say...I am praying for you. Get a reality check. Once you do, then you'll stop using words such as "them".
Kimberly

Liberal, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 8, 2008
 
My baddd that message was for Ila_h....and hold on...you moved to Pratt, KS??? That's worse than Wichita baby gurl...
Linda

Liberal, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 11, 2008
 
Allen Family wrote:
My family used to live in Liberal as well- when Liberal was a nice, family-oriented town. What's it like now? Do y'all still have pancake day and the parade? Is it still a nice, safe place?
Thanks for the update.
Pamela @ pmdeane@sbcglobal.net
Pamela,
I have to agree with Lia. I was born and raised in Liberal and have raised my family here. I have seen so many changes, especially in the past 10 years. It is NO LONGER a safe place to live. The influx of immigrants has changed this town to the point it is almost unrecognizable. Each classroom is extremely short on white children so one has to assume that people are moving from here. I would love to, but family and work keeps us here.
The number of gangs has exploded in the past years, shoplifting has become such a problem that detectors are in stores, the schools are crowded and the standard of education suffers because of non-English speaking children. The loud Latin music on the streets is just one more change along with the men who travel in small groups and leer at women.
Years ago, I was in a store downtown, and there were two ladies talking about how they were going to take over this town. My thought was, "You are welcome to it, because everyone will soon be moving out."
Some things have gotten better as there has been assimilation, but it's still hard to find a white face in Wal-Mart on a weekend, and there are still many people who can't speak English.
We do still have Pancake Day here. The town has grown a lot and spread out north. There are some positive aspects still.
d NH

Concord, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 15, 2008
 
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Pamela,
I have to agree with Lia. I was born and raised in Liberal and have raised my family here. I have seen so many changes, especially in the past 10 years. It is NO LONGER a safe place to live. The influx of immigrants has changed this town to the point it is almost unrecognizable. Each classroom is extremely short on white children so one has to assume that people are moving from here. I would love to, but family and work keeps us here.
The number of gangs has exploded in the past years, shoplifting has become such a problem that detectors are in stores, the schools are crowded and the standard of education suffers because of non-English speaking children. The loud Latin music on the streets is just one more change along with the men who travel in small groups and leer at women.
Years ago, I was in a store downtown, and there were two ladies talking about how they were going to take over this town. My thought was, "You are welcome to it, because everyone will soon be moving out."
Some things have gotten better as there has been assimilation, but it's still hard to find a white face in Wal-Mart on a weekend, and there are still many people who can't speak English.
We do still have Pancake Day here. The town has grown a lot and spread out north. There are some positive aspects still.
Kansas must get TOUGH on ILLEGAL immigration like Oklahoma. In fact, that state has taken action for a long time now. I have absolutely no problem at all with LEGAL immigration. If states surrounding KS adopt stringent illegal immigration laws those individuals will just flock to neighboring states.( I was a 20+ year Kansas resident and now live in the great state of NH)
http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story...
http://www.knx1070.com/pages/1163380.php ?
richard noggin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 15, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Oh my goodness we have Mexicans in Liberal and they may not be legal? Come on folks this country was built by illegal imigrants....Stop and think about the meat packing industry in Chicago or the produce business in California or the feedyards in Texas they have all used and I do mean used illegal's for years to provide workers to run their business....nothing new in Liberal except a few unaccepting rednecks who want and love the money that illegal's spend but continue to complain about them....For the most part these folks are good people good neighbors and good family people.....trash them if you want but we will all answer for our actions someday!
d NH

Concord, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 15, 2008
 
richard noggin wrote:
Oh my goodness we have Mexicans in Liberal and they may not be legal? Come on folks this country was built by illegal imigrants....Stop and think about the meat packing industry in Chicago or the produce business in California or the feedyards in Texas they have all used and I do mean used illegal's for years to provide workers to run their business....nothing new in Liberal except a few unaccepting rednecks who want and love the money that illegal's spend but continue to complain about them....For the most part these folks are good people good neighbors and good family people.....trash them if you want but we will all answer for our actions someday!
So you like the fact that Kansas has lax laws on illegal immigration compared to its neighbors to the south and west???
richard noggin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 16, 2008
 
I guess if this is about lax laws yes its ok with me. Someone has to do the work around here and in case you havent noticed most of the oilfield and highway construction among a few are all done by mexican. I think there is no one else willing to do those jobs at this time. Much like the produce pickers in Califorina if it was easy or a really good job a lot of folks would be tryng to get them. So yes I guess we need lax laws if thats what it takes.
michelle in arizona

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 1, 2008
 
richard noggin wrote:
Oh my goodness we have Mexicans in Liberal and they may not be legal? Come on folks this country was built by illegal imigrants....Stop and think about the meat packing industry in Chicago or the produce business in California or the feedyards in Texas they have all used and I do mean used illegal's for years to provide workers to run their business....nothing new in Liberal except a few unaccepting rednecks who want and love the money that illegal's spend but continue to complain about them....For the most part these folks are good people good neighbors and good family people.....trash them if you want but we will all answer for our actions someday!
thank you all you say is true
Alex Ibarra

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Oct 2, 2008
 
i just want to say that as the hispanic population grows, so does the racism. i know alot of whites in ks and oklahoma who are criminals and for the most part whites make up the majority of sexual offenders.Liberal has a mojority of hispanics it is logical most crimes are going to be comitted by hispanics. but what about meth in most of ks ,including pratt, its a white dominant industry. ive lived in both places and my kids are as safe in Liberal as they are in pratt. it is our responsibility as parents to teach our children to respect other races because if we project the idea of a specific race to be evil, then we harvest hate towards that race, hate is a sinonym for evil. pardon my spelling/grammar
Alex Ibarra

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 2, 2008
 
if you dont feel safe in liberal you wont feel safe in any population over 10.
concerned tax payer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 2, 2008
 
only thing i have to say is that i dont mind having hispanics around its the ones who come here illegally and have 3 families to a two bedroom house and all work at national beef or other good paying jobs and getting help from srs...i admit i get help but i actually struggle with a low paying job and rent and many many bills..and i know of hispanics that get alot of help and have real good jobs...and it to me is bad for us cuz were paying for them to spend our tax dollars and already have nice fancy vehicles and we unless were rich dont have real nice cars that we pay cash for...be honest learn english and there wouldnt be so many problems in this town...work for a living instead of using the government i work for a living and get help because i struggle and i only have one family in a two bedroom house not two or more...
true lyfe

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Oct 7, 2008
 
iused to live in liberal Kansas and it was a good town. I moved to california and the crime over here would scare yall.Back then there werent too many mexicans compared to whites.Theres crime every where especially as a city or town grows. If you scared go to church or just move. Every city in every state has crime, whether its white,black or brown, there will always be crime.
why be racist? being of a certain rACE DOESNT MAKE YOU BETTER than others. every race comits crimes. its just easier for certain people to get away with them because of their race.
d NH

Concord, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 9, 2008
 
richard noggin wrote:
I guess if this is about lax laws yes its ok with me. Someone has to do the work around here and in case you havent noticed most of the oilfield and highway construction among a few are all done by mexican. I think there is no one else willing to do those jobs at this time. Much like the produce pickers in Califorina if it was easy or a really good job a lot of folks would be tryng to get them. So yes I guess we need lax laws if thats what it takes.
It is time for you to do some reading. I would recommend "War on the Middle Class" by Lou Dobbs. Illegal Immigration costs taxpayers BIG TIME! The outsourcing of middle class jobs by big corporations is also a huge problem.
richard noggin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 10, 2008
 
FYI I have read Lou Dobb's book and agree with some of what the litle fat man says however I stand by my statements....For all you haters listen up you want all of these things in Liberal Kansas but are unwilling to have mexican labor leagal or otherwise then hual you butt down to NBP and work for 15.00 per hr and take their job away from them. The only reason they are here is we are unwilling to do the type of work these people do! Get a grip if Lou Dobbs had to mow his own yard or pave his own street he may have a change of heart on this matter however if he continues to live in a world where the rich and privledged have unreal expectations of the rest of us then he will continue as you my friend to wander around in a fog.
d NH

Concord, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 11, 2008
 
richard noggin wrote:
FYI I have read Lou Dobb's book and agree with some of what the litle fat man says however I stand by my statements....For all you haters listen up you want all of these things in Liberal Kansas but are unwilling to have mexican labor leagal or otherwise then hual you butt down to NBP and work for 15.00 per hr and take their job away from them. The only reason they are here is we are unwilling to do the type of work these people do! Get a grip if Lou Dobbs had to mow his own yard or pave his own street he may have a change of heart on this matter however if he continues to live in a world where the rich and privledged have unreal expectations of the rest of us then he will continue as you my friend to wander around in a fog.
Part of the PROBLEM is that the big agribusiness companies have a huge amount of control in many towns in the Great Plains and Midwest. CAFOs are also an increasing problem throughout the country. These big operations also require corn, which means unsustainable irrigated crops via water mining from the Ogallala Aquifer. That practice can only continue for so long in a semi-arid region... For these reasons I try to limit my consumption of meat, and buy as much local produce and organic food as possible. During the growing season we have a farmers market in Merrimack County, NH, and it offers nice boost to the surrounding rural economy.
Have a great day.
d NH
ILA_H

Pratt, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 15, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Have you been a victim of theft and other crimes, known who done it and can't get justice-until then don't tell me how great Liberal is. I am one of those victims and believe me I don't like feeling violated by the undesirables in that community. That's exactly why everyone we know is leaving as soon as they can, they have had enough. To Richard - you must be one of those LIBERALS who is probably voting for Obama or whatever his name is. You sound like, "can't we just all get along"? I can get along with anyone, leave my stuff alone, it's not yours, you didn't work for it, it belongs to me. That's my motto!
I have nothing against the ones that come here LEGALLY, it's the ones that are not suppose to be here. I also believe they need to learn our language, why should we bow to their needs. Have you been to Mexico, they do not bow to our needs there on the language.
If you think for one minute that the white person won't work for $15.00 hr/YOU NEED TO GET A GRIP on a few facts around the county.
You need a reality check on your life.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beaver Discussions

Search the Beaver Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 8 min DoesntMatter 71,284
OK Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) Jul 17 Jose 2,590
OK The "English is the Official Language of Oklaho... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Jenks 11,281
You called the Aliens here. (Nov '08) Jun '14 Carlos Salazar 3
match.com posting... Apr '14 Kat 1
Eliminating Police Dept Disclaimer (Sep '13) Apr '14 Brandon renshaw 15
People of Beaver (Sep '13) Mar '14 wake up Beaver Ok 7
•••
•••
•••
Beaver Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Beaver Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Beaver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Beaver News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beaver
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••