Comments
1 - 20 of 90 Comments Last updated Dec 27, 2010
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
parentintown

Bardstown, KY

#1 Sep 22, 2009
What do you think about this diagnosis by docs today? Is it something that requires medication?
I'm really starting to wonder if medication is needed or a good smack on the butt is needed. I know the later is alot cheaper it seems prety easy to get your child on a med. these days. You just have to fill out all the paperwork so we leave a trail, so to speak.
I guess my concern also comes back to "Big Pharma" and their ultimate goal. They seem to come up with solutions for every ailment we have in everyday life but they still can't cure cancer... hmmm, what is going on?
The HPV vaccine also concerns me.
Who makes all the decisions on what medications are safe and what we have to put in OUR bodies to be healthy and protected? When did we give up that right?
hmmm

Shelbiana, KY

#2 Sep 22, 2009
add/adha=bad parent skills.

Since: Jul 09

Catlett, VA.

#3 Sep 23, 2009
I agree with all you said.
Back years ago kids went out to play. Even though everything was not perfect I am sure, they were not stuck in daycare all day, then stuck in front of the tv for dinner, and then wisked off to bed to do it again the next day.
Some of the parents are stressed to the limits and some are trying so hard but need more support.
Things have got to change.
I am trying very hard with my kids. To break the cycle.
One of my nephews is so bad on drugs, violence, and hate, that he will eventually either be killed or go to prison.
My other nephew and neice were raised in a stable and loving home full of fun and they have both grown into productive and happy people.
I think the drug companies are making a killing. There have been deaths linked to the hpv shot. But then there are deaths linked to hpv. The shot also does not cover all of the hpv strains. I read that 80% of the adult population has hpv. Some know it but most don't.

Its hard to know what to do anymore.
Paladin

Dearborn, MI

#4 Sep 23, 2009
ADD is a serious condition that ah ah...Oh look a airplane.

“What is truth?”

Since: Apr 09

Bardstown, KY

#5 Sep 23, 2009
parentintown wrote:
What do you think about this diagnosis by docs today? Is it something that requires medication?
I'm really starting to wonder if medication is needed or a good smack on the butt is needed. I know the later is alot cheaper it seems prety easy to get your child on a med. these days. You just have to fill out all the paperwork so we leave a trail, so to speak.
I guess my concern also comes back to "Big Pharma" and their ultimate goal. They seem to come up with solutions for every ailment we have in everyday life but they still can't cure cancer... hmmm, what is going on?
The HPV vaccine also concerns me.
Who makes all the decisions on what medications are safe and what we have to put in OUR bodies to be healthy and protected? When did we give up that right?
I personally dont agree with 'hmmm' about the bad parenting skills though I do know that to a certain extent children these days are just as stressed as the parents, and more than anything want to talk about it, but more times than not, the parents havent delt with their own emotional baggage and there for can offer little help, and sometimes it can make the problem worse. In my opinion STAY AWAY FROM 'BIG PHARMA' at all costs! Im currently reading a book I got from the library called "Selling Sickness" I strongly reccomend checking this out before you make your final decision. It outlines who benifits from the sales of the chemicals, and shows that many of the same companies that create the drugs are the same companies regulating, and provide statistics for doctors reguarding who 'needs the chemicals.' The book also mentions how suicide rates can actually increase in teenagers that are put on Zoloft, Prozac, and one other i cant remember the name of. I was put on these chemicals when I was in highschool, and though they did calmme down a little, I didnt feel like myself at all and psychologically it made things worse.
As a parent you have a tough decision to make and I dont envy your situation, though i do encourage communication over medication. If you ask me I personally think it would be better for kids to smoke marijuana, which can truly calm the mind and help with stress, than to take the pills, I just dont think the pills are worth the risk.
okay

Bardstown, KY

#6 Sep 23, 2009
Let me tell you something, My Child I believe has ADD. I have NOT put him on any medications. there are people out there who jsut try to get there children on some type of medication to be about to dope them up, shut them up and draw a CHECK. I am not the person, I choose not to give them the medication, and for all who care about your child, there are other things out there that can help your child. NON_ MEDICAL treatment. Do your research and dont jsut take them to the doctor. the man at the Health food store Recommended Fish Oil for my Child and for now over 6 months he has done well. I have noticed a signifficant difference as have his teacher. So before you try to blame it on Poor Parenting Dont be so quick to say that. and for other people on the some place as I was, if you dont want to automaticlly put them on some type of drug, do some research and look around first!!
rocker chick

Rineyville, KY

#7 Sep 23, 2009
I believe that too many kids are put on the medicine that don't need it. For God sakes teachers give them longer recess and let them run that energy out!
My youngest son was diagnosed with ADHD in the 2nd grade. I REFUSED to put him on medicine then! He is SCARY smart....in the Gifted and Talented program at school...tested on a 5th grade reading level in the 1st grade.I eventually put him on the medicine his 5th grade year.I had seen him struggling with homework and daily tasks,and his grades were steadily dropping.He has done WONDERFUL on his medicine and does not seem "doped up"at all.I gave myself a major guilt trip for putting him on it at first....but he says that he is glad for it and told me his mind doesn't feel like it's "fast fowarding anymore!LOL!( His exact words!)
Some kids DO need treated...other's sadly are spoiled and need a good a$$ busting! As a parent,doctor or teacher we need to be able to spot the difference!
I will say....when I took him to the DR.for the 1st time,they give you a questionaire to fill out and if you answer the questions truthfully,the diagnosis is easy to make! I personallt feel like you should involve the child in answering these questions!
The kids who truly have this,suffer more than any of us know...and adhd..if left untreated...can result in other branch illnesses such as OCD,Oppositional Defiance Disorder,Depression and other forms of mental illness.My advice is to weigh the options,talk to your DR in detail and learn all you can about this disease if your child is diagnosed.Then decide to make the best desicion that is right for your child!
rocker chick

Rineyville, KY

#8 Sep 23, 2009
I was also afraid that if I started him on ADHD meds....which is basically speed,I would turn him into an amphetimine addict! But statistics show that a child who is left untreated is more likely to become addicted to drugs and/or alchohol.
Like I said.....talk to your Dr. in detail about all your concerns!
Countrygirl

Bardstown, KY

#9 Sep 23, 2009
One of my nephews has ADHD and he is constantly going. Sometimes my sister doesn't know what to do with him because he is always into something. We take him out to eat somewhere and the limbs on his body are always moving like it's just killing him to sit there with us. He has never been on meds for this. I have found out that if I take the time and show him how to use his energy to be creative or simply help out around the house it helps you keep your sanity. Make things look fun for them. Let them help you out in the garden or clear the dishes off the table after you eat. It helps you out and keeps them occupied at the same time. It also shows that you trust them to do those certain tasks and trust can go a long way with children. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with poor parenting skills or a bad home life. Some children just happen to be born with it. You just have to deal with the cards that are dealt to you and make the best possible outcome that you can. I think I'll mention something to my sister about asking someone at the health food store just so that she can have other options.
rockerchick

Rineyville, KY

#10 Sep 23, 2009
I'd never heard of Fish Oil for ADHD,but it may be worth looking into.My sister's boy has a high functioning form of Autism called Asberger Syndrome. I know at one time,when he was younger,she was giving him Fish Oil supplements,and swore by them!
As he got older,she had to put him on different medicine.
For those who absolutely refuse to start treating ADHD w/medicine,it might be worth looking into a holistic ,herbal or supplement regimin.
Check w/your child's pediatrician though if you are recommend an herbal remedy by a health food store.A lot of herbs are dangerous for kids.
I'd also like to say,do what YOU think is best for your child.If you DO have them treated.....or if you DON'T have them treated,don't let anyone try to make you feel guilty for your decision.

“What is truth?”

Bardstown, KY

#11 Sep 23, 2009
Countrygirl wrote:
One of my nephews has ADHD and he is constantly going. Sometimes my sister doesn't know what to do with him because he is always into something. We take him out to eat somewhere and the limbs on his body are always moving like it's just killing him to sit there with us. He has never been on meds for this. I have found out that if I take the time and show him how to use his energy to be creative or simply help out around the house it helps you keep your sanity. Make things look fun for them. Let them help you out in the garden or clear the dishes off the table after you eat. It helps you out and keeps them occupied at the same time. It also shows that you trust them to do those certain tasks and trust can go a long way with children. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with poor parenting skills or a bad home life. Some children just happen to be born with it. You just have to deal with the cards that are dealt to you and make the best possible outcome that you can. I think I'll mention something to my sister about asking someone at the health food store just so that she can have other options.
YES!!! Go to the health food store, those people are amazing, Ive been friends with all of them for a year or more now, and they never resourt to the chemcials. Though it may take trial and error to find what works the best but i promise its way better than resourting to the meds.

“What is truth?”

Bardstown, KY

#12 Sep 23, 2009
rocker chick wrote:
I believe that too many kids are put on the medicine that don't need it. For God sakes teachers give them longer recess and let them run that energy out!
My youngest son was diagnosed with ADHD in the 2nd grade. I REFUSED to put him on medicine then! He is SCARY smart....in the Gifted and Talented program at school...tested on a 5th grade reading level in the 1st grade.I eventually put him on the medicine his 5th grade year.I had seen him struggling with homework and daily tasks,and his grades were steadily dropping.He has done WONDERFUL on his medicine and does not seem "doped up"at all.I gave myself a major guilt trip for putting him on it at first....but he says that he is glad for it and told me his mind doesn't feel like it's "fast fowarding anymore!LOL!( His exact words!)
Some kids DO need treated...other's sadly are spoiled and need a good a$$ busting! As a parent,doctor or teacher we need to be able to spot the difference!
I will say....when I took him to the DR.for the 1st time,they give you a questionaire to fill out and if you answer the questions truthfully,the diagnosis is easy to make! I personallt feel like you should involve the child in answering these questions!
The kids who truly have this,suffer more than any of us know...and adhd..if left untreated...can result in other branch illnesses such as OCD,Oppositional Defiance Disorder,Depression and other forms of mental illness.My advice is to weigh the options,talk to your DR in detail and learn all you can about this disease if your child is diagnosed.Then decide to make the best desicion that is right for your child!
The children being born today and just the younger generation in general arnt the same type of children we were or our parents we're. Many of the 'disorders' that are diagnosed are not actual disorders, our way of life is speeding up, with limitless info at our finger tips and a growing awarnes of how vast an improtant our society 'can be' children are being created with minds that 'go' way faster than our own, they are literally built to learn more, faster, so I say give them a challenge, encourage them to focus on what they are interested in. Give them the tools to create art, music, or just to learn. Every generation is slightly different than the one before it, if we continue to use these chemicals to 'slow them down' I believe we are doing a huge disservice to them and humanity. I took medication when I was in highschool and yea they did calm me down, which felt good, but now I realize that everyone was labeling me by my genetics, telling me that I couldnt help it so I should take a pill. I believed this and continued to take them until I learned about the 'indigo generation.' Im not trying to tell you how to raise your child by all means it is your decision, just dont always take your doctors opinion becasue the amount of medication he sells directly effests how much money he makes. I strongly suggest reading the book 'selling sickness' it outlines where these 'questionares' come from and how they are interpreted, it also points out that the people deciding the 'severity' of the disorder and how much each person (related to severity) should take are the exact same people that created the drug in the first place. This is sick beyond imagination, they make the chemical, mass produce it, and then get to tell people, based on their on questioning, how much they need, then they charge a TON for it, these are the real' drug dealers' that need to be imprisoned. Also the amount of refined sugar in a childs diet can strongly effect their actions and reactions. One question, I though OCD ment, obsessive compulsive disorder, is this the same thing? I know the pharma companies love changing names after certian 'lables' bet a bad rep.
rocker chick

Rineyville, KY

#13 Sep 23, 2009
Tabernathy wrote:
<quoted text>
The children being born today and just the younger generation in general arnt the same type of children we were or our parents we're. Many of the 'disorders' that are diagnosed are not actual disorders, our way of life is speeding up, with limitless info at our finger tips and a growing awarnes of how vast an improtant our society 'can be' children are being created with minds that 'go' way faster than our own, they are literally built to learn more, faster, so I say give them a challenge, encourage them to focus on what they are interested in. Give them the tools to create art, music, or just to learn. Every generation is slightly different than the one before it, if we continue to use these chemicals to 'slow them down' I believe we are doing a huge disservice to them and humanity. I took medication when I was in highschool and yea they did calm me down, which felt good, but now I realize that everyone was labeling me by my genetics, telling me that I couldnt help it so I should take a pill. I believed this and continued to take them until I learned about the 'indigo generation.' Im not trying to tell you how to raise your child by all means it is your decision, just dont always take your doctors opinion becasue the amount of medication he sells directly effests how much money he makes. I strongly suggest reading the book 'selling sickness' it outlines where these 'questionares' come from and how they are interpreted, it also points out that the people deciding the 'severity' of the disorder and how much each person (related to severity) should take are the exact same people that created the drug in the first place. This is sick beyond imagination, they make the chemical, mass produce it, and then get to tell people, based on their on questioning, how much they need, then they charge a TON for it, these are the real' drug dealers' that need to be imprisoned. Also the amount of refined sugar in a childs diet can strongly effect their actions and reactions. One question, I though OCD ment, obsessive compulsive disorder, is this the same thing? I know the pharma companies love changing names after certian 'lables' bet a bad rep.
Wow! This is some interesting stuff and bears looking into! I do agree about some doctors being drug dealers.I believe they are responsible for the rise of prescription pain pill abuse.Not saying some folks don't need them....but other's are being handed these things in the hopes that addiction will keep them coming back for more.
Yes,OCD is Obsessive Compulsive disorder.The Oppositional Defiance disorder is a total different thing!
My child is doing great on his medicine but I am always open to trying alternative things! I enjoyed your post.It was well written,intelligent,and full of great information to check into!
abela

Bardstown, KY

#14 Sep 23, 2009
for one it has nithing to do the the parents my son was diagnoised with add/adhd/and odd if you dont know the terms of them then keep your mouth shut and look up the meanings it has something to do with brain cell it is aways the parents people get a life..

“What is truth?”

Bardstown, KY

#15 Sep 23, 2009
rocker chick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! This is some interesting stuff and bears looking into! I do agree about some doctors being drug dealers.I believe they are responsible for the rise of prescription pain pill abuse.Not saying some folks don't need them....but other's are being handed these things in the hopes that addiction will keep them coming back for more.
Yes,OCD is Obsessive Compulsive disorder.The Oppositional Defiance disorder is a total different thing!
My child is doing great on his medicine but I am always open to trying alternative things! I enjoyed your post.It was well written,intelligent,and full of great information to check into!
Thanks for the nice feedback, just thought i would give my opinion on the subject. Just curious, what is Oppositional Defiance Disorder? This is honestly the first time Ive heard of it.

“What is truth?”

Bardstown, KY

#16 Sep 23, 2009
abela wrote:
for one it has nithing to do the the parents my son was diagnoised with add/adhd/and odd if you dont know the terms of them then keep your mouth shut and look up the meanings it has something to do with brain cell it is aways the parents people get a life..
I personally dont think its the 'parents fault' though i think to a certain extent society plays a role in this. Most people dont want to deal with their emotional problems so they resourt to drinking, smoking, and various other escapes that are similar to OCD, this lack of internal reflection does influince children, they are trying to express themselves while at the same time they are trying to learn how to express themselves. I just think in some/most cases the parents dont know what to do for a child that is seriously having a hard time in school, with frinds, ect, and so they are given an 'escape' from the real problems that are within. Im not trying to say there is an easy answer, and my heart goes out to all parents struggling with these decisions, I cant imagine how difficult it must be.

Do you know what ODD is?
Paladin

Dearborn, MI

#18 Sep 23, 2009
okay wrote:
Let me tell you something, My Child I believe has ADD. I have NOT put him on any medications. there are people out there who jsut try to get there children on some type of medication to be about to dope them up, shut them up and draw a CHECK. I am not the person, I choose not to give them the medication, and for all who care about your child, there are other things out there that can help your child. NON_ MEDICAL treatment. Do your research and dont jsut take them to the doctor. the man at the Health food store Recommended Fish Oil for my Child and for now over 6 months he has done well. I have noticed a signifficant difference as have his teacher. So before you try to blame it on Poor Parenting Dont be so quick to say that. and for other people on the some place as I was, if you dont want to automaticlly put them on some type of drug, do some research and look around first!!
Fish Oil?? That's the first time I've heard that. I take 2000 mg a day and I'm still scatterbrained
Paladin

Dearborn, MI

#19 Sep 23, 2009
cricket wrote:
i've never heard of ODD, but it sounds like a new disease label they slap on kids who defy/oppose anything they don't like. this must be the newest thing, and instead of drugs, i think those kids need their ass busted. and stop spoiling them parents! that's why they're so bad! as for add/adhd, i think too many kids are diagnosed as such who don't actually have the disease. medication is handed out too freely. some kids may really have the disease, but not as many as they're saying. again, alot of those kids just need their ass busted, or they are just being kids and the parents don't want to deal with it.
The real question is why so many children are getting these conditions. Look at the stats on Autism. I'd bet just about anything it has to do with vaccines that children get.
Mayor Dyke Beaton

Bardstown, KY

#20 Sep 23, 2009
one plus one is two
two plus two is four
four plus four is eight
eight plus eight is sixteen

yep self diagnosis I've got ADD
rocker chick

Rineyville, KY

#21 Sep 23, 2009
Tabernathy wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the nice feedback, just thought i would give my opinion on the subject. Just curious, what is Oppositional Defiance Disorder? This is honestly the first time Ive heard of it.
OPD,from what I gather is an obsession to defy those in authorative position....parents,teachers,b osses,and even police.I will look it up to find further info.This is one of the things the Dr said could branch from untreated ADD or ADHD.Fancy name for don't listen to s**t!LOL
This could be a genuine thing caused by chemical imbalance but seems possible to me it could also be from being spoiled or from hunger for discipline.I really don't know!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bardstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min Nutz 151,262
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 22 min I can read 1,458
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 4 hr Owl 81,598
neverforget 139 9 hr Blue 1
Cinco De Mayo 10 hr customer 5
Grimes is Wrong for Kentucky! 10 hr ivote 44
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 11 hr Advertisment 26,226
•••
•••
•••

Bardstown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bardstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Bardstown News, Events & Info