Comments
21 - 40 of 42 Comments Last updated Sep 27, 2012
Fed Up Parent

Huntington, WV

#26 May 29, 2012
Proud Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
What problem do you have with the segregation?I believe it's a good idea because the children in middle school are all walking hormones.I think they tend to concentrate more when they are divided.I mean really what are your concerns about it.
Well for starters, aside from the legality issues, the theories that gender segregation promotes better learning are at best just unproven theories without supporting data and at worst have been disproved by other studies. But let's play devil's advocate and say that there is merit in gender based segregation - are all teachers adequately trained to teach in a gender specific pedagogy? What part of the WV Teacher's Certification process validates an applicants ability to teach in a gender segregated environment? If not all teachers have the same ability, which gender gets the least qualified teacher? Would an administration schedule female students with the best math and science teachers to promote better female scoring in math and science to vindicate the administration's decision to employ gender segregation?

And while you are pondering on all of that, what is the pedagogical relevance or benefit of segregating students by gender for lunch? You argued that the students "are all walking hormones". This would imply the teachers are not watching the lunch room at all and the students are actively engaging in flirtatious or salacious activities. Wouldn't the more prudent action be to possibly monitor the students? What if it wasn't inappropriate flirtations, but rather bigotry, racism, or violence between two different ethnic student groups? Would it be appropriate to segregate the students by their respective ethnicity or religion?

I have given you plenty of reasons to doubt the benefits of gender segregation. I challenge you to provide some bona fide reasons FOR gender segregation, particularly in a lunch room.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#27 May 29, 2012
It's obvious they don't want girls and guys to be friends and they are trying to make sure that we can't have our god given right to have a relationship with someone.
David

Columbus, OH

#28 May 31, 2012
I agree with the comment about edline not being updated. My child's 8th grade math teacher only updated edline the last day of the grading period. When Mr. Lake was contacted, he simply said it was a glitch in the system. This glitch lasted the entire year. As for the teacher, she would not even return an e-mail. Since all the work was done in class and papers not returned, it was difficult to know how your child was doing so you could help if needed. Both Mr. Lake and the teacher need to move on.
Fed Up Parent

Huntington, WV

#29 Jun 8, 2012
Obviously you, nor the Cabell County BOE find evidence to back up the gender segregation program because the BOE has terminated it at BMS for failing to meet Federal Guidlines. No one, of course will be reprimanded for failing to follow federal law.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Single_Sex...
me

United States

#30 Jun 8, 2012
Actually, read the board's official statement. And it wasn't JUST at BMS so stop being so crazy about it. There was no actual lawsuit and both Enslow and BMS had already nixed the program. If you read the board statement you won't be misinformed.
David

Columbus, OH

#31 Jun 8, 2012
Misinformed? How about Mr. Lake and BMS starting a gender specific education without contacting parents to see if they wanted such an education for their children. Afterall, WE are paying taxes and fees and levies for this education and WE need to have a say in such matters. How does Mr. Lake prove he has had less disciplinary problems with the segragated classes, when he does not know how many of those 6th graders had disciplinary problems in their respective 5th grade elementary schools. All smoke and mirrors, no substance. So, me, from Chicago, IL, the threat of a lawsuit was pending IF the Board did not disband this segragation of the sexes. So, me, from Chicago, IL, get a newspaper and television and get better informed yourself. The Board violated the federal law in allowing the implementation of the genders, and for once, I am glad the ACLU sent the threatening letter to them. The Board of Ed and Mr. Lake expects all students to follow the rules and laws, however, they believe they are above the same rules and laws. What great role models they are!!!!!!
Just Saying

Huntington, WV

#32 Jun 8, 2012
me wrote:
Actually, read the board's official statement. And it wasn't JUST at BMS so stop being so crazy about it. There was no actual lawsuit and both Enslow and BMS had already nixed the program. If you read the board statement you won't be misinformed.
Obviously basic comprehension isn't a skill you possess. If YOU read the article it says Enslow had already suspended the program, but made no mention of BMS doing the same. Thus, the Board suspended the program. Here is the quote for your convenience.

"On Tuesday night, Cabell County Board of Education members considered suspending single-gender programs at Enslow and Barboursville middle schools.

Enslow had already decided to drop the program in the fall because of scheduling issues."
me

United States

#33 Jun 8, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously basic comprehension isn't a skill you possess. If YOU read the article it says Enslow had already suspended the program, but made no mention of BMS doing the same. Thus, the Board suspended the program. Here is the quote for your convenience.

"On Tuesday night, Cabell County Board of Education members considered suspending single-gender programs at Enslow and Barboursville middle schools.

Enslow had already decided to drop the program in the fall because of scheduling issues."
Yep. Don't possess a bit of comprehension. None whatsoever. The title of the article says "may" suspend, and the board said the ACLU misspoke in their initial response. The board also said they were writing a policy to further deal with those wishing to consider implementing the program. On a personal note, i don't agree with the single sex classrooms because they are unrealistic and discriminatory, even that isn't necessarily the intention. I just get tired of reading all the comments posted on here by people who don't have all the facts, read all the info., and probably haven't been in the thick of it. No suit was actually filed or even needed to be since both schools had already discontinued the programs. They were also doing this is 2 other counties as well but nothing else was said about those really.
me

United States

#34 Jun 8, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously basic comprehension isn't a skill you possess. If YOU read the article it says Enslow had already suspended the program, but made no mention of BMS doing the same. Thus, the Board suspended the program. Here is the quote for your convenience.

"On Tuesday night, Cabell County Board of Education members considered suspending single-gender programs at Enslow and Barboursville middle schools.

Enslow had already decided to drop the program in the fall because of scheduling issues."
And yes it said BMS wasn't continuing the program due to changes in administration. Just sayin'.
me

United States

#35 Jun 8, 2012
David wrote:
Misinformed? How about Mr. Lake and BMS starting a gender specific education without contacting parents to see if they wanted such an education for their children. Afterall, WE are paying taxes and fees and levies for this education and WE need to have a say in such matters. How does Mr. Lake prove he has had less disciplinary problems with the segragated classes, when he does not know how many of those 6th graders had disciplinary problems in their respective 5th grade elementary schools. All smoke and mirrors, no substance. So, me, from Chicago, IL, the threat of a lawsuit was pending IF the Board did not disband this segragation of the sexes. So, me, from Chicago, IL, get a newspaper and television and get better informed yourself. The Board violated the federal law in allowing the implementation of the genders, and for once, I am glad the ACLU sent the threatening letter to them. The Board of Ed and Mr. Lake expects all students to follow the rules and laws, however, they believe they are above the same rules and laws. What great role models they are!!!!!!
Are you REALLY from Columbus, Ohio? Just wondering since you keep emphasizing that my location shows Chicago, Illinois. But, it's funny that you think I don't agree with the comments on here about the situation when in fact I totally agree it was a violation, that's its unrealistic, and imposed upon EVERYONE, teachers included. I'm just saying that most people on topix ARE misinformed or just simply pissed off and don't want an intelligent discussion.
me

United States

#36 Jun 8, 2012
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously basic comprehension isn't a skill you possess. If YOU read the article it says Enslow had already suspended the program, but made no mention of BMS doing the same. Thus, the Board suspended the program. Here is the quote for your convenience.

"On Tuesday night, Cabell County Board of Education members considered suspending single-gender programs at Enslow and Barboursville middle schools.

Enslow had already decided to drop the program in the fall because of scheduling issues."
The actual CCBOE release is the first story listed on THEIR actual website.

boe.cabe.k12.wv.us/
me

United States

#37 Jun 8, 2012
David wrote:
Misinformed? How about Mr. Lake and BMS starting a gender specific education without contacting parents to see if they wanted such an education for their children. Afterall, WE are paying taxes and fees and levies for this education and WE need to have a say in such matters. How does Mr. Lake prove he has had less disciplinary problems with the segragated classes, when he does not know how many of those 6th graders had disciplinary problems in their respective 5th grade elementary schools. All smoke and mirrors, no substance. So, me, from Chicago, IL, the threat of a lawsuit was pending IF the Board did not disband this segragation of the sexes. So, me, from Chicago, IL, get a newspaper and television and get better informed yourself. The Board violated the federal law in allowing the implementation of the genders, and for once, I am glad the ACLU sent the threatening letter to them. The Board of Ed and Mr. Lake expects all students to follow the rules and laws, however, they believe they are above the same rules and laws. What great role models they are!!!!!!
The CCBOE site has their official statement in the matter. It's the first article on their site.

boe.cabe.k12wv.us/
kk12

Danville, WV

#38 Jun 13, 2012
Good he's a perv
David

Columbus, OH

#39 Jun 13, 2012
What is on their website and what has been said publicly may not always match. They talk out of both sides of their mouth. The whole bunch needs to resign, Mr. Smith, Mr. Lake, asst. principals, Mrs. Ransbottom especially, and anyone else who tried to shove this down our throats. It is time for WV to catch up with many other states who have Parent Unions to deal with the schools and demand more from them, not less like we get each and every year. To think they are selling 180 days of education, please, they stop teaching several days before each grading period ends, and there is no teaching after West Test is done. In fact, the band teacher stops teaching after the spring concert is done in April. What a bunch of pathetic educators, with few eceptions, at BMS. Pathetic!!!!
Greg

Columbus, OH

#40 Jun 25, 2012
David, I agree. I observed this first hand for myself this year with my child at BMS. Little or no teaching last grading period. Just play. Even with a mild winter, taking off all the play days, our children at best, got 150 days of instruction. No wonder so many countries have not only passed us educationally, but left us in the dust.
new parent

New York, NY

#41 Jun 25, 2012
I've got a white male child starting this school this summer and i unlike some.... Have raised my kids not to hate and i understand there is a problem with racism? Plain ridiculous people still teach hate! Black, white, yellow, pink polka dot, we are all people with the same feelings! Be the change you wish to see!
JustThinking

New York, NY

#42 Jun 30, 2012
Proud Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
What problem do you have with the segregation?I believe it's a good idea because the children in middle school are all walking hormones.I think they tend to concentrate more when they are divided.I mean really what are your concerns about it.And what do your credentials have to do with the segregation policy.I grew up near Mr.Lake and his family and they are wonderful people.I think his morals are strongly needed in this day and age,children are so rude and disrespectful.Little girls aren't little girls anymore exposed to adult issues way to soon.Parents also don't hold there children responsible for there actions it's always someone else's fault or "my child would never"!And before you criticize those good ol boys I'll let u know a thing or two!I have worked in many schools in cabell and the difference between the children in town compared to some of the rural schools is night and day.Maybe you should consider homeschooling your child since your so qualified:)
Did you know there were eight pregnant students at BMS this past year? When I was there, we didn't have that many, and honestly I remember maybe one. I think the boys and girls need to be exposed to each other to understand how to communicate. Everyone has something to bring to the table, and if we disconnect the students, they may not know how to interact with one another. I think people put too much pressure on teachers and school administrators to teach children "the right thing". Where are the parents? They should be the ones educating their children on what is right and what is wrong. But most of them will just sit their children in front of the television and let someone do the rest. And then we end up with kids dabbling in drugs, hating their bodies (due to poor representation of models and body builders), and feeling alone because they never established a relationship with their parents. So yes, maybe Mr. Lake isn't doing all the right things, and I do disagree with separating genders (enough that I would pull my child out of the school), but shouldn't we look at the root of the problem? That's the parents.
swordoftruth

Columbus, OH

#43 Jun 30, 2012
That school is so unproffesional, not to many people have seen the video of a mr. Woods slamming cody skaggs off the wall!!only a matter of time till a teacher uses their policy of covering up incidents as a cover to molest a student. What if one if those kids comes to school and deals out some justice?
Parentofmiddlesc hooler

New York, NY

#44 Sep 5, 2012
new parent wrote:
I've got a white male child starting this school this summer and i unlike some.... Have raised my kids not to hate and i understand there is a problem with racism? Plain ridiculous people still teach hate! Black, white, yellow, pink polka dot, we are all people with the same feelings! Be the change you wish to see!
I think you missed the point. It's not segregation of race but sex. That's to hopefully keep the kids focused on school, not each other! I know my daughter, who attends another school, gets distracted by boys in class and her grades have suffered! She also has gotten a lot of pressure from her, "ex" in class. It seems impossible in 6th grade for such pressures but it has been frustrating to me as a parent! Wish our school separated boys and girls during core instruction! Btw: aren't kids in school to.... Learn? Kuddos BMS!
Former parent

New York, NY

#45 Sep 5, 2012
David wrote:
Misinformed? How about Mr. Lake and BMS starting a gender specific education without contacting parents to see if they wanted such an education for their children. Afterall, WE are paying taxes and fees and levies for this education and WE need to have a say in such matters. How does Mr. Lake prove he has had less disciplinary problems with the segragated classes, when he does not know how many of those 6th graders had disciplinary
problems in their respective 5th grade elementary schools. All smoke and mirrors, no
substance. So, me, from Chicago, IL, the threat
of a lawsuit was pending IF the Board did not
disband this segragation of the sexes. So, me,
from Chicago, IL, get a newspaper and television
and get better informed yourself. The Board
violated the federal law in allowing the
implementation of the genders, and for once, I
am glad the ACLU sent the threatening letter to
them. The Board of Ed and Mr. Lake expects all
students to follow the rules and laws, however,
they believe they are above the same rules and
laws. What great role models they
are!!!!!!
Really? Such a hostile and opinionated letter about something so stupid! I'd worry more about my kid making good grades than petty differences like these.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barboursville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 3 hr hillbilly 57,163
A+ Pharmacy 6 hr f minus 3
Classic jewelry and BPD (Dec '13) 21 hr Justtryingtohelp 13
Macy's Men 21 hr yep 7
barboursville tudors (Dec '13) Sat slop 22
Travis Bailey (Jul '12) Sat anonymous 8
jessie from the bluff Sat yes 19
•••
•••
•••

Barboursville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barboursville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barboursville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barboursville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••