Egypt Falls Into Darkness

Nov 15, 2011 Full story: FrontPage Magazine 27

Rebuilding the Library of Alexandria some 1300 hundred years after its final destruction at the hands of its Islamic conquerors in a country where blasphemy against Islam is still a crime was always a fool's errand.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MENAgirl

Doha, Qatar

#23 Nov 18, 2011
more truth wrote:
Lots of protest marches going on in Egypt. Too much disorder in all these places, military takeovers probably coming.
I have people I love in Egypt-Giza, by the Pyramids and near(enough!) to Tahrir. I hope that the military doesn't get super stupid and try to seriously take over.
skeptic

Bethlehem, PA

#24 Nov 18, 2011
MENAgirl wrote:
<quoted text>I have people I love in Egypt-Giza, by the Pyramids and near(enough!) to Tahrir. I hope that the military doesn't get super stupid and try to seriously take over.
It already has. The Brotherhood of Muslims.
Muslims need to kill to feel superior.
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#25 Nov 18, 2011
MENAgirl wrote:
<quoted text> You mean the wife of the prophet Muhammed who always spoke of him with love, affection and respect? Actually fondness? Who fought for Islam and her people? Who was called the mother of believers? Sure.
Uh...Yeah. The six year old little girl he "married" and raped when she was 9.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#26 Nov 18, 2011
Trisha wrote:
http://ehistory.osu.edu/world/ articles/ArticleView.cfm?AID=9
'So who did burn the Library of Alexandria? Unfortunately most of the writers from Plutarch (who apparently blamed Caesar) to Edward Gibbons (a staunch atheist or deist who liked very much to blame Christians and blamed Theophilus) to Bishop Gregory (who was particularly anti-Moslem, blamed Omar) all had an axe to grind and consequently must be seen as biased. Probably everyone mentioned above had some hand in destroying some part of the Library's holdings ...
I think Trish is getting warmer.

"... we know very little about the library's history. That hasn't prevented historians over the centuries from proposing various scenarios. The three main suspects are Julius Caesar, Bishop Theophilus, and Caliph Omar. Contrary to myth, there wasn't one great fire that destroyed the library, but instead several documented fires over a span of centuries. It seems likely, then, that the destruction of the library was gradual. The problem is that we have few contemporary accounts, and later writers often have some axe to grind.

"The first significant fire was around 89-88 BC. Egypt was torn by war and civil strife under Ptolemy VIII, and much of Alexandria was burned ... Though never restored to its former greatness, the library was rebuilt and survived for many more years.

"The next fire was in 47 BC, when Julius Caesar and the Roman armies conquered Egypt. Caesar burned the harbor as part of this campaign. Seneca (3 BC-65 AD) says that 40,000 books were incinerated in this fire; others say less. We do know that many volumes were looted by Caesar's army and shipped to Rome ...

"The next fire came 300 years later, in 273 AD, when the Roman Emperor Aurelian invaded Egypt as part of his war with Zenobia of Palmyra. Much of Alexandria was burned, including the Brucheion district. Whether this fire destroyed the entire library or whether some portion was rebuilt is not known.

"As Christians gained dominance in the region, they felt uncomfortable with pagan temples full of pagan documents. In 391 AD, Theophilus, the patriarch of Alexandria, urged a mob to destroy the temple at Serapis, presumably at the same time destroying whatever books were left in the daughter library ...

"The final fire was in 645 AD, when the Moslem caliph Omar conquered Egypt. The story is that Omar was asked what to do about the books in the library, and gave the reply:'If the books agree with the Koran, they are not necessary. If they disagree, they are not desired. Therefore, destroy them.' According to tradition, the scrolls were used as fuel to provide hot water for the soldiers' baths for six months ..

"Whom do we blame for the destruction of the library? We like Matthew Battles' summary. He notes that scrolls (like books) erode and fall apart over time, and we're dealing with five or six centuries. If an old scroll were crumbling, a scribe would have to make a new copy by hand ...

"Battles suggests that the destruction of the library wasn't due to a single great fire, but on account of 'moldering slowly through the centuries as people grew indifferent and even hostile to their contents.'
"He concludes:'What happened to the books of Alexandria? Many, many centuries happened to them ...'"

Resources:
Library: An Unquiet History, by Matthew Battles, 2003
History of Libraries in the Western World (4th edition), by Michael H. Harris, 1995

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#27 Nov 18, 2011
Sorry, forgot the link for post #26

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2233...

It will fill-in all the ellipses.
MENAgirl

Doha, Qatar

#28 Nov 18, 2011
skeptic wrote:
<quoted text>It already has. The Brotherhood of Muslims.
Muslims need to kill to feel superior.
The Muslim Brotherhood and the Egyptian military do not get along. No one in the MB wants to be a part of the military and being a part of the MB will get you in all kinds of trouble with the old government and I believe still with the military one.
MENAgirl

Doha, Qatar

#29 Nov 18, 2011
In Egypt, being a part of the MB (or even looking like you might be) means that you are singled out when entering and leaving the country, you have difficulty in getting employment in govt. and all kinds of other issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Babylon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 20 hr Bruser 7,936
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Tue Bruser 2,365
Review: Bt Orthotic Labs Inc (Oct '08) Dec 22 James 6
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Dec 21 Kevywright 56
Six LI Catholic Elementary Schools to Close (Dec '11) Dec 19 31 years an RN 266
Complaints against CPS, Supervising Judge David... (Dec '09) Dec 18 Scottu 56
Wooden grain scale (Mar '07) Dec 18 Calvin James 72

Babylon News Video

Babylon Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Babylon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Babylon News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Babylon

Personal Finance