Drag strip a step closer in San Juan County

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

County commissioners entered into a lease during their Tuesday meeting with the Farmington Field Office of Bureau of Land Management for land about 16 miles south of Bloomfield on U.S. 550.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of79
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
so happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Grandma42 wrote:
"Judy" you have raised some good questions. "so happy" and "belighana" you just hide your heads in the sand and pretend these things won't come up. Being 15 miles south of Bloomfield, I'm not sure it will stop all street racing in Farmington - it's just a little too far for some of these kids to bother.
do you know how far lots of people travel now to race? There is several spots in the area that are not legal and are just as far or farther
so happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

belighana wrote:
<quoted text>
You are some very grumpy (SOUR) person...
This is very true seems like a worry wort, Driving on the street is 100 time more dangerous than racing at a sanctioned profesional race track
so happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Tatt2man wrote:
Hell yea a dragstrip is what farmington has been needing for a long time,,,
it is what farmington needs and to the PEOPLE THAT THINK THAT IT WILL NOT GET PEOPLE OF THE STREETS WHY NOT GIVE IT A TRY THEY ARE AT LEAST TRYING WHAT CAN YOU SAY YOU HAVE DONE TO GET THE STREET RACERS OFF THE STREETS, SAY THAT THERE IS STREET RACING BUT BUILDING A TRACK IS A WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY OH AND THAT THE CITY WILL BE SUED ENDLESSLY
so happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Tatt2man wrote:
<quoted text> you need to put the duramax away,its crap for drag racing, so peeps like you will be ruining the strip stay out stick to pullin trailors with your farm truck!!
THAT KICKS ASS tatt2man what do you have i bet this truck rocks your world you won't know what hit you!
Judy

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

YEAH wrote:
IT IS ABOUT TIME :) NOW I CAN RACE MY DURAMAX SOMEWHERE LEGAL INSTEAD OF BLOWIN PEOPLE AWAY OFF THE STREETS! I WILL BE OUT THERE ALOT WHEN IT IS OPEN. CAN I SAY.......NEED FOR SPEED?
How is expressing my opinion, and asking questions, making me a "Sour Grumpy" person.. Seems like the only one who is getting grumpy is you...
Speed Limit

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Judy wrote:
<quoted text>
How is expressing my opinion, and asking questions, making me a "Sour Grumpy" person.. Seems like the only one who is getting grumpy is you...
While I support something for our teenage drivers as a meeting place to gather, putting in a drag stripe won’t stop the challenge of two young teenagers or adult adolescents from putting the metal to floor at any stop light. That BLM land could be used for community supported initiatives not draggers. Hmmm seems like a fitting name. Yes, I am Christian minded now drag race some where else.
Speed Limit1

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Sorry, left out somethings. You bring up an excellent point; these motor heads need some big toys to justify misgivings in other areas. It shocks me to see our tax dollars being spent on a few motor heads while affordable housing falls to the back seat to drag raceing!

Medical needs, housing and drugs in our school seem ill suited or out right pointless. Why bring change when it all about commercial racing and how much excitement that brings to so few citizens.

While I support something for our teenage drivers as a meeting place to gather, putting in a drag stripe won’t stop the challenge of two young teenagers or adult adolescents from putting the metal to floor at any stop light. That BLM land could be used for community supported initiatives not draggers. Hmmm seems like a fitting name. Yes, I am Christian minded now drag race some where else.
so happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

Speed Limit1 wrote:
Sorry, left out somethings. You bring up an excellent point; these motor heads need some big toys to justify misgivings in other areas. It shocks me to see our tax dollars being spent on a few motor heads while affordable housing falls to the back seat to drag raceing!
Medical needs, housing and drugs in our school seem ill suited or out right pointless. Why bring change when it all about commercial racing and how much excitement that brings to so few citizens.
so why are you on here posting and not out getting a second job to suport the worthless people out there. can't wait to get ripped for this one, but i do my part for the comunity but i also like to have fun for myself.
Judy

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2008

cjjeepercreeper wrote:
Seems a lot of folks have a mistaken impression of what a dragstrip is. It's NOT just a quarter mile long strip of asphalt out in the middle of nowhere, this strip is going to be NHRA sanctioned from what I understand. You can't just go out there and use it, there will be certain times when it is open, and the rules are very very strict. No one is going to get hurt, this is going to be a pro strip, not some abandoned airplane landing strip.
Thanks for the post.. that is the type of answer I was looking for...
Balls to the Wall

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

I will be burnin rubber and smokin the place up!
505sfastestviper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

it is a very good thing i travel all the way to alb to race ...... it were more then likely be an nhra track how many times have other tracks been sued not that often there is insurance in place and the track will more than likely pay for itself
Hmmmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

Seems that the city has tried this experiment in the past a time or two. Once the PD had a dragster painted like a police car, called it "race a cop" of something of the kind. It always got the same few die hard fans, but never got off the ground. Maybe this time will be different, I hope it works. Too far from town?
Dan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

Wow! This is exactly what this town needs. Now our kids can drink while while driving out to the strip and get even more drunk and race each other. This should be banned.
Farmington

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

Are you really that arrogant? Looks like you should read the posts before you make an un-informed post.
Dan wrote:
Wow! This is exactly what this town needs. Now our kids can drink while while driving out to the strip and get even more drunk and race each other. This should be banned.
"Seems a lot of folks have a mistaken impression of what a dragstrip is. It's NOT just a quarter mile long strip of asphalt out in the middle of nowhere, this strip is going to be NHRA sanctioned from what I understand. You can't just go out there and use it, there will be certain times when it is open, and the rules are very very strict. No one is going to get hurt, this is going to be a pro strip, not some abandoned airplane landing strip. "
black guns rule

Aztec, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2008

If you are so worried about the affordable housing, there is a place on your W-2 that you can pay a few more dollars to help the housing for the poor if you feel so giving.
Speed Limit1 wrote:
No Body

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2008

I have no race car or anything that I would ever take to the track but I think this would be a huge asset to the community. No it's not going to solve world peace or world hunger but I think it would be nice for those that are into that kind of thing.
The Track should be self supporting, if not I don't feel the Government should support it. As for the land, what else is being done with that land? Nothing, why not put it to good use. JMHO
Steve Trujillo

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Now I can invite my homosexual friends, and have a "gay ol time" out there underneath the grandstands.
Noneofyourbusine ss

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

All this talk about the city getting sued, they drapstrip is in the county. Get it, not affiliated with the city.

I think it is a great idea.
Darrin

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

Allison wrote:
oh I live in Farmington have all my life and there is nothing here so It may be a good thing
Allison wrote:
oh I live in Farmington have all my life and there is nothing here so It may be a good thing
There is alot here to do, but most residents would rather sit in front of the TV or spectate on bleachers instead of burning off a little fat with exercise. Lazy bastards of San Juan County!
Phonecian

Mesa, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2008

OK, if they are all gun-ho about building the drag strip what is the ROI on this project? How will it benefit the community? What additional uses will this facility provide? Will this facility also support other types of racing (Motorcross for an example)? How will local businesses benefit from the facility (how can they use it to their advantage)? How much is it going to cost to use it? Are there any conceptual drawings to show what the place will look like?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of79
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Aztec Discussions

Search the Aztec Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 1 hr justice is just a choice 6,010
Cliven Bundy 5 hr This guy 12
GOP Nothing But Hot Air 6 hr Turbo 27
A local chiropractor uses pressure points to he... 10 hr Chiropractor From Chicago 3
Jim Bourke RC Groups Slander Bullying (Dec '08) 10 hr Sillyyouguys 43
NM Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) 13 hr Pretty 219
fbi 151 all others 0 Tue Horace 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Aztec Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Aztec People Search