Grieving

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2009

First of all let me say I have alwayst thought that the Rhodes family were great people. I have known them for years and know that they are great about helping people. This is until I lost a family member and they tried to screw the family out of money and gave us the run around. They quoted a price once and then when we called back shortly after they quoted another price that was at least three times as much for the same service. They demanded cash immediately for the entire amount even though this family member had a fund for burial purposes. When we asked about different options they brushed us off babbling some BS state laws of burial and why the price suddenly jacked up in 30 minutes time. I happen to know that they finace burials for people who don't even work...just sit at home and draw welfare. I am extremely hurt, as is my family, that they have been so cold about this and apparently didn't want to handle the funeral. We are not rich people and cannot afford to drop 6 grand on a plain burial. I'm thankful for Wilson Funeral Homes in Newport. They actually have a heart and look past the mighty dollar to help grieving families.

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2009

Grieving wrote:
First of all let me say I have alwayst thought that the Rhodes family were great people. I have known them for years and know that they are great about helping people. This is until I lost a family member and they tried to screw the family out of money and gave us the run around. They quoted a price once and then when we called back shortly after they quoted another price that was at least three times as much for the same service. They demanded cash immediately for the entire amount even though this family member had a fund for burial purposes. When we asked about different options they brushed us off babbling some BS state laws of burial and why the price suddenly jacked up in 30 minutes time. I happen to know that they finace burials for people who don't even work...just sit at home and draw welfare. I am extremely hurt, as is my family, that they have been so cold about this and apparently didn't want to handle the funeral. We are not rich people and cannot afford to drop 6 grand on a plain burial. I'm thankful for Wilson Funeral Homes in Newport. They actually have a heart and look past the mighty dollar to help grieving families.
If you're expecting the Son in Rhodes and Son to have a clue what he's doing, that was your first mistake. Big Jimmy was (as country as he was) a good man that helped everyone out as best he could. Little Jimmy, the "mayor" of Augusta, and part time motician magician, is a joke. He has no business sense and should be run out of town as soon as possible. If you need proof of how terrible he is at running the family business, you only need to look at who is handling the operations of R&S.

Now just think what he is doing as "mayor" while he runs around doing magic shows.
levis

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're expecting the Son in Rhodes and Son to have a clue what he's doing, that was your first mistake. Big Jimmy was (as country as he was) a good man that helped everyone out as best he could. Little Jimmy, the "mayor" of Augusta, and part time motician magician, is a joke. He has no business sense and should be run out of town as soon as possible. If you need proof of how terrible he is at running the family business, you only need to look at who is handling the operations of R&S.
Now just think what he is doing as "mayor" while he runs around doing magic shows.
So true!! We have been trying to get him to return a phone call for 3 months. What does a person have to do? He's useless as a mayor. He needs to join a circus to do his magic and let a real man have the job as mayor. He needs to resign.

Since: May 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2009

Grieving wrote:
I agree with you honest hard working people dont have a chance. If you were on welfare with kids and no daddy drawing a check on each one you could probably get anything you want. Its sickening to know that that our hard working retirement money is going to help people that have no sense of pride. Dont get me wrong there are some that do need the extra income but thats only those that are truely handicap and women that are raising children and working. All the rest are just lazy bums.Im very sorry to hear about your loss and I wish you well. As far as your mayor your right he needs to join the circus.
ARKIEGAL09

Columbia, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT AFTER JIMMY SR DIED, RHODES FUNERAL HOME STOPPED FINANCING ANY SERVICES FOR ANYONE. TOO MANY YEARS OF PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T HIT A LICK AT ANYTHING AND EVEN TRY TO PAY FOR THE THINGS THEY BOUGHT IS WHAT FORCED THE COMPANY TO DO SO. IN THESE TOUGH TIMES THEY ARE JUST DOING WHAT THEY HAVE TO IN ORDER TO STAY IN BUSINESS. WHEN PEOPLE COME IN WITH BAD ATTITUDES AND THINK THAT THEY HAVE SOME KIND OF RIGHT TO GET WHATEVER THEY WANT AND NOT PAY, EVEN NICE PEOPLE HAVE TO GET UGLY. THIS FAMILY HAS HELPED MY FAMILY THROUGH VERY DIFFICULT ITMES AND I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THEM TO BE MORE THAN ACCOMADATING, AS LONG AS YOU TREAT THEM WITH THE SAME RESPECT THAT YOU EXPECT YOU WANT FROM THEM.
MonkeyShines

Ruston, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

I am at somewhat of a loss for words. I live in Jonesboro Ark. about an hour up the road. Rhodes and Son funeral home has handeled the funerals of two of my in-laws in Augusta. In the face of adversity, they were both handled very professionally. And maybe I should explain further, at the request of the family one of these was a "baseball" funeral. Even with that, they were very professsional about the whole process.On a more personal level, I would consider "Little" Jimmy and his mother Mrs. Rhodes very dear friends. I have never met a more honest, hardworking straight-across-the-board bunch of folks in my life. And you know Jimmy is just a kid, he's 27 I think, but it's not age but integrity and strength of character that makes a man. I may be old enough to be his dad, but I surely know a lot of guys my own age who aren't as much of a man as that kid is. And someone out there would call Jimmy a joke, he's a part-time magician. I would say that he is an acomplished magician and a master showmen. It is truly amazing to me how some people have never been taught that the way to elevate yourself, is not to tear down or degrade others. I would expect it would be the same type of person who would not have the nerve to air their problems face-to-face. But would talk badly about people they don't really know on some internet gossip site.
Aries

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2009

Judged:

MonkeyShines wrote:
I am at somewhat of a loss for words. I live in Jonesboro Ark. about an hour up the road. Rhodes and Son funeral home has handeled the funerals of two of my in-laws in Augusta. In the face of adversity, they were both handled very professionally. And maybe I should explain further, at the request of the family one of these was a "baseball" funeral. Even with that, they were very professsional about the whole process.On a more personal level, I would consider "Little" Jimmy and his mother Mrs. Rhodes very dear friends. I have never met a more honest, hardworking straight-across-the-board bunch of folks in my life. And you know Jimmy is just a kid, he's 27 I think, but it's not age but integrity and strength of character that makes a man. I may be old enough to be his dad, but I surely know a lot of guys my own age who aren't as much of a man as that kid is. And someone out there would call Jimmy a joke, he's a part-time magician. I would say that he is an acomplished magician and a master showmen. It is truly amazing to me how some people have never been taught that the way to elevate yourself, is not to tear down or degrade others. I would expect it would be the same type of person who would not have the nerve to air their problems face-to-face. But would talk badly about people they don't really know on some internet gossip site.
Move to Augusta and have a reason to need Little Jimmy for something. Call him endless times with no call returned and see what your opinion of him will be. His mother is a very sweet person but Little Jimmy is a joke as a mayor. Believe me ..... if he runs to be re-elect as mayor he'll become a full time magician.
MonkeyShines

Ruston, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2009

Well, I am not use to debating on such a faceless forum, but. I am almost 50 years old and have never had a reason to call the mayors office. I have to wonder what the problem could be. If it was really an emergency I would just call 911. Also I have been in the Augusta City Hall, and the day I was there there was a staff of three of the nicest ladies I have ever met. Seems like if it was really a pressing matter, one of his staff would take a message or direct your problem to the correct office. So, just like this started, I can't imagine what kind of drama it would take for me to be calling the mayors office in jonesboro. But I'm sure that some model citizen in augusta will put me in my place.
Aries

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2009

MonkeyShines wrote:
Well, I am not use to debating on such a faceless forum, but. I am almost 50 years old and have never had a reason to call the mayors office. I have to wonder what the problem could be. If it was really an emergency I would just call 911. Also I have been in the Augusta City Hall, and the day I was there there was a staff of three of the nicest ladies I have ever met. Seems like if it was really a pressing matter, one of his staff would take a message or direct your problem to the correct office. So, just like this started, I can't imagine what kind of drama it would take for me to be calling the mayors office in jonesboro. But I'm sure that some model citizen in augusta will put me in my place.
Needing the mayor for something has nothing to do with calling 911. I'm not stupid. What do you think the mayors job is? If he is never needed by the citizens of Augusta then their wouldn't be a reson for having a mayor. Theirs numerous reasons to have to call the mayor. No one said that I was a model citizen but I do work and pay my taxes which includes the mayors salary. I don't break the law nor bother anyone. Their for if I or anyone else have a question or need the mayor for any reason then he should do his job and return ALL phone calls which he doesn't. I hope that if you ever have a problem and need your mayor that he'll be available for you.

Jacksonville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2009

Aries wrote:
<quoted text>
Needing the mayor for something has nothing to do with calling 911. I'm not stupid. What do you think the mayors job is? If he is never needed by the citizens of Augusta then their wouldn't be a reson for having a mayor. Theirs numerous reasons to have to call the mayor. No one said that I was a model citizen but I do work and pay my taxes which includes the mayors salary. I don't break the law nor bother anyone. Their for if I or anyone else have a question or need the mayor for any reason then he should do his job and return ALL phone calls which he doesn't. I hope that if you ever have a problem and need your mayor that he'll be available for you.
I know a concerned store owner that had tried to speak with the mayor several times... EVERYTIME this man has went to the mayor's office and tried to speak with him, the mayor always has himself locked inside his office working on his magic tricks.

Jacksonville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2009

MonkeyShines wrote:
with all due respect the law enforcement and the whole system that Augusta is attempting to enforce is crooked and needs some SERIUOUS work.. there are too many IMPORTANT issues that are not taken care of the way they should be. I understand that no one or organization is perfect but I think there is a great need for a change for the better.
MonkeyShines

Ruston, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

You know, just looking at the responses on here- it seems that a lot of people are angry that Jimmy Rhodes has a hobby. Well other than drinking beer and watching T.V. So the mayor was locked in his office doing magic trick, well I'm sure thats just a lie. And I haven't called anyone stupid, but I'm not stupid either and it still hasn't been explained to me the level of drama there is in Augusta that constitutes the immediate attention of the mayor."There's numererous reasons to call the mayor's office", well I haven't saw one posted yet. I figure that this is one of two things going on here. First, it could be just plain envy, someone on here has already proven that they are not above lying to advance their point-of-view."Locked in his office, doing magic tricks", shame on you. And second it may be the misconception that what ever trivial problem some people have- that it is the most important one in the world,since they are the center of the universe. Now unfortunately these types actually do more damage than the people who will tell blatant stupid unbelievable lies. Once you have dealt with people wanting favors and ranting and raving, I'm sure that I would be a little bit harder to get ahold of myself. Numerous reasons??? TO be a hater or need to call the mayors office???

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

Greed is what this all boils down to. The father was a very caring man he never met a stranger the son is a totally different person. Like the parties on here I have relatives in Augusta and yes you do have to call the mayors office on issues that need to be handled by the mayor when it has to do with his staff. A hint to all just tell the mayor you would like to interview him for something he might see you then he loves having his picture taken.
carrot top

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

MonkeyShines wrote:
You know, just looking at the responses on here- it seems that a lot of people are angry that Jimmy Rhodes has a hobby. Well other than drinking beer and watching T.V. So the mayor was locked in his office doing magic trick, well I'm sure thats just a lie. And I haven't called anyone stupid, but I'm not stupid either and it still hasn't been explained to me the level of drama there is in Augusta that constitutes the immediate attention of the mayor."There's numererous reasons to call the mayor's office", well I haven't saw one posted yet. I figure that this is one of two things going on here. First, it could be just plain envy, someone on here has already proven that they are not above lying to advance their point-of-view."Locked in his office, doing magic tricks", shame on you. And second it may be the misconception that what ever trivial problem some people have- that it is the most important one in the world,since they are the center of the universe. Now unfortunately these types actually do more damage than the people who will tell blatant stupid unbelievable lies. Once you have dealt with people wanting favors and ranting and raving, I'm sure that I would be a little bit harder to get ahold of myself. Numerous reasons??? TO be a hater or need to call the mayors office???
No one said that it had to have immediate attention but months after calling and calling???? Give me a break. Maybe you need to only reply to topix for Jonesboro. It's apparent that you would take his side no matter what. You just don't have a clue. So are you a magician also? He's being paid for being a full time mayor. Subscribe to the local newspaper and see how many times his picture is in their a month. He's more envolved in practicing tricks than being mayor. NO ONE is happy with him.
baby blue

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2009

cierra50 wrote:
Greed is what this all boils down to. The father was a very caring man he never met a stranger the son is a totally different person. Like the parties on here I have relatives in Augusta and yes you do have to call the mayors office on issues that need to be handled by the mayor when it has to do with his staff. A hint to all just tell the mayor you would like to interview him for something he might see you then he loves having his picture taken.
Oh yea!! I get so tired of seeing him pasted in the paper. Makes you wonder what he's really doing while he's being paid to be a full time mayor. Looks like were paying him to be a full time magician. What a waste.
Leo

Cabot, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2009

carrot top wrote:
<quoted text>
No one said that it had to have immediate attention but months after calling and calling???? Give me a break. Maybe you need to only reply to topix for Jonesboro. It's apparent that you would take his side no matter what. You just don't have a clue. So are you a magician also? He's being paid for being a full time mayor. Subscribe to the local newspaper and see how many times his picture is in their a month. He's more envolved in practicing tricks than being mayor. NO ONE is happy with him.
You need to keep your opinions for Jonesboro. You know we do hear news from their and Jonesboto is far from perfect. Move to Augusta since your so interested in Jimmy Rhodes.

Stuttgart, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

We are not all perfect.and the mayor is not perfect.some of the things people complain about about he can't do anything about.If you would look up the mayor's job in the book from municiptal league it would define what he can do and can't do.I am sure he could do better and so can we.If you wanted to discuss you promblems face to face call his office and talk to his secetary she will tell you when he will be in and go on that day.I had no problem seeing him after I called to see when he would be in. A mayor's job is not an easy one he listen to complains all the time.reading all these I can understand why.we are all so quick to c/o about someone else
try walking in their shoes before you speak.

Stuttgart, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2009

The law enforcement system may need a over haul everywhere not just in Augusta.You can only do what your city goverment will let you do.It is not only the laws but your law makers who makes them. not the the Officers. next time you go vote look at who your voting for to make thoes laws.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2009

Amen Guest
thomas 0764

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2009

Just wondering! My experience with mayors, is they don't get paid that much. Expecially in small towns? Most do have other jobs in order to make it. Is this correct????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of51
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Augusta Discussions

Search the Augusta Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Billy Kyle (Jun '13) 4 hr little girl 11
looking for Ernie Watson, from Morton, Arkansas (Jul '12) 5 hr ms priss 18
Amanda Parker 6 hr Need to know 1
Remembering B.K. (Jun '08) 7 hr hello 23
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 9 hr Faulkner County Dingbat 27,902
Has anyone had a good experence at T-Berry's la... (Oct '10) 11 hr Justme 465
AR More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark (Jan '11) Fri Siwhat 9,715
•••

Flood Warning for Woodruff County was issued at April 20 at 8:54AM CDT