Another Know It All

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

You think you know what you are talking about but you have no clue.
The friend who was talking about how SHE WOULD NOT GET ANYONE A JOB at Milan Express worked there for over 10 years and is still good friends with the owner. She is actually my SISTER IN LAW. And she has great faith in my husbands abilities but KNOWS HE CAN DO BETTER which he is doing right now by driving for WALMART. Who Milan Express cannot hold a candle to.

I don't hear any drivers inquiring about Milan Express because they are a dead end street. No one cares if they are hiring right now even though they like to pay for those radio ads asking for new driver.

The only hope Milan Express has is to juice all the new trainees for all they can and hope to get a government kickback for it.
DINGDONG wrote:
Oh no they are a TERRIBLE place to work, and doing horrible.
They have new trucks on the road, they gave employees the personal days back, finally making steps in the right direction, but yes, to judge the company by this thread, they are TERRIBLE!!!
I am sure that friend of yours didn’t want your husband to get a “job” with Milan Express for several reasons, Not that the company is not doing well...that is not much confidence in YOUR HUSBAND, Not the company...or they are not hiring in your area...
DUH!
Keep in mind this thread was started over a year ago, and Milan Express is still going strong!
Another Know It All Pt2

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Oh yeah. And I can tell you have vested interest in Milan Express. It is absurdly apparent that you are a white collared schmuck by the way you put job in quotes. Only a pampered ass kissing pencil pusher would want everyone who they employ to act as if their new JOB is a career and devote their last breath to a company that has only made empty promises and has not made a contractual agreement to fulfill the bullshit incentives they spew out during the hiring process.
DINGDONG wrote:
Oh no they are a TERRIBLE place to work, and doing horrible.
They have new trucks on the road, they gave employees the personal days back, finally making steps in the right direction, but yes, to judge the company by this thread, they are TERRIBLE!!!
I am sure that friend of yours didn’t want your husband to get a “job” with Milan Express for several reasons, Not that the company is not doing well...that is not much confidence in YOUR HUSBAND, Not the company...or they are not hiring in your area...
DUH!
Keep in mind this thread was started over a year ago, and Milan Express is still going strong!
Corny Jokes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Is that overpaid mail clerk actually doin anything in sales???? He has always been a joke, even when he worked at ceco.
Gold WIng Lozer wrote:
They should fire the lazy, pos Jim Sz. TONIGHT. What a waste of matter!!!
<quoted text>
see the truth

Brownsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

They wont fire family. That's why there is a company to provide money for the Ross family not the employees. As long as they don't break the law its their right to screw the employees they are only there to make money for the Ross family. Get a clue about how life works. They cut pay and benefit's until they lose enough employees that it costs them money they then give some back to keep their money flowing.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

As a company, we're still alive - and still kicking. Granted, we're not nearly as healthy as we were when I started as a TLS driver 7 years ago, or even when I was driving as an LRS driver... but we're still here and that's enough (for me) for now.

I've read all of the posts here, and most are fairly passionate. Which means that some here are hurt by the way they were treated, while others are on the outside looking in, and enjoying a bit of schadenfreude.

For several years now I've worked 2nd shift dispatch, so I know the game from the driver's seat, and from the office seat. At the moment, neither view is pretty - but it's slowly improving.

Like several of you here, I'm eager to see what comes next.
Best of Luck to You

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Tks for the insight. Left last year to drive for another company. Have they give any of the wages back? Or maybe the APL days or 401k match.
MelOsborne wrote:
As a company, we're still alive - and still kicking. Granted, we're not nearly as healthy as we were when I started as a TLS driver 7 years ago, or even when I was driving as an LRS driver... but we're still here and that's enough (for me) for now.
I've read all of the posts here, and most are fairly passionate. Which means that some here are hurt by the way they were treated, while others are on the outside looking in, and enjoying a bit of schadenfreude.
For several years now I've worked 2nd shift dispatch, so I know the game from the driver's seat, and from the office seat. At the moment, neither view is pretty - but it's slowly improving.
Like several of you here, I'm eager to see what comes next.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

How are things at the other company? I've spoken with many who left and, for the most part, they're pleased with their choice. Some have returned to Milan Express after leaving, but most have stayed gone.

None of us in the office have seen any of the pay cut returned to us that I know of. The shop staff did get a slight bump, but I don't know to what degree. And the drivers also received a small bit back.

APL days have been 'mostly' returned, but at a different accrual rate than before. Instead of 1 day per month and 2 days on the anniversary month, for a total of 13 days per year - it's now 10 days per year; all of which are reset on the anniversary date of hire.

401k match is still absent as far as I know. I chose to opt out of that when I hired in, so I'm unfamiliar with the details of where it stands now.

All in all, there have been many significant changes this year - mostly good, but some questionable. I strive to live as a realist rather than in some personal Pollyanna world - and even with that being true I can see improvement compared to where we were a year ago.

The course of the company is changing in positive ways... albeit much more slowly than I would like - but slowly because the changes are being implemented with (mostly) careful consideration and due diligence.
Best of Luck to You

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Going good. Getting miles which is all I can really ask for and limited idle time.

I doubt the wages will ever be returned if for no reason other than 85% of the employees who took the cuts are no longer with the company due to ltl being shut down and turnover. Hope I am wrong for the folks who stayed with them through those cuts.

who is running tls since they supposedly fired Mike Stone?
MelOsborne wrote:
How are things at the other company? I've spoken with many who left and, for the most part, they're pleased with their choice. Some have returned to Milan Express after leaving, but most have stayed gone.
None of us in the office have seen any of the pay cut returned to us that I know of. The shop staff did get a slight bump, but I don't know to what degree. And the drivers also received a small bit back.
APL days have been 'mostly' returned, but at a different accrual rate than before. Instead of 1 day per month and 2 days on the anniversary month, for a total of 13 days per year - it's now 10 days per year; all of which are reset on the anniversary date of hire.
401k match is still absent as far as I know. I chose to opt out of that when I hired in, so I'm unfamiliar with the details of where it stands now.
All in all, there have been many significant changes this year - mostly good, but some questionable. I strive to live as a realist rather than in some personal Pollyanna world - and even with that being true I can see improvement compared to where we were a year ago.
The course of the company is changing in positive ways... albeit much more slowly than I would like - but slowly because the changes are being implemented with (mostly) careful consideration and due diligence.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2012

Limited idle time is a huge plus for a paycheck, that's for sure! Good on you for finding somewhere you enjoy - truly.

Mike's exit was officially announced as a resignation, so I pray his journey is blessed the same as I would wish anyone a blessing should they leave us.

However, now that Mike is gone the management responsibilities have John Ross overseeing everything, with David Dallas running TLS/LRS, and with Mark Hawks (TLS) and Roy Mabry (LRS) reporting to David.

Being that I'm on 2nd shift, I've seen very little change. As has been the case for many years, I work totally alone during my shift, so I'm mostly unaffected.

Like you, and for the same reasons you gave, I agree that we'll probably never see the return of the 'cuts'. It's a bitter pill to swallow, but it's a pill that I'll stomach for now.
PCA Man

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

Does David Dallas still run his mouth about how dumb all the office folks are in LRS and TLS? To hear him, all the major decisions require his input or they would be done wrong. The office folks are only good for dealing with the drivers and or complaints.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

PCA Man,

I've not ever, in 7 years there, heard David Dallas say anything similar to what you described. Not to say that it didn't/doesn't happen - but in answer to your question, I've never heard anything like that from him.

David has always encouraged team members to make decisions and he is generally supportive of the team. However, there are some who seem to be inherently insecure and are afraid of 'being fired' for making a bad choice - so they defer the decision making to Mark Hawks, Roy Mabry, and David Dallas. In cases such as those, it would be easy to begin to believe that those team members are 'dumb'- even if they actually aren't.

Another factor that might be creating the impression of 'dumb' employees is the number of clerical and operational errors we have. The current challenge we face is that our staffing has been significantly decreased - so the workload on the remaining crew has, of course, increased; to a point that is nearly unmanageable. As a result, there is little time available to 'slow down' to do things properly. The strategy now seems to be to rush through the work and do what they can, hope there are no errors, and then fix any errors that may have 'slipped' through.

All factors that create that scenario are self-defeating and, one way or another, will have a limited continuance. John Ross is focused on identifying the internal failures so we can revise our operations and implement necessary changes. My hope is that results begin to show soon.
my opinion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

David should have been asked to leave right along with Mike considering David was reportedly the "brains" behind Mike. Real change will never come with him running anything at Milan.
MelOsborne wrote:
PCA Man,
I've not ever, in 7 years there, heard David Dallas say anything similar to what you described. Not to say that it didn't/doesn't happen - but in answer to your question, I've never heard anything like that from him.
David has always encouraged team members to make decisions and he is generally supportive of the team. However, there are some who seem to be inherently insecure and are afraid of 'being fired' for making a bad choice - so they defer the decision making to Mark Hawks, Roy Mabry, and David Dallas. In cases such as those, it would be easy to begin to believe that those team members are 'dumb'- even if they actually aren't.
Another factor that might be creating the impression of 'dumb' employees is the number of clerical and operational errors we have. The current challenge we face is that our staffing has been significantly decreased - so the workload on the remaining crew has, of course, increased; to a point that is nearly unmanageable. As a result, there is little time available to 'slow down' to do things properly. The strategy now seems to be to rush through the work and do what they can, hope there are no errors, and then fix any errors that may have 'slipped' through.
All factors that create that scenario are self-defeating and, one way or another, will have a limited continuance. John Ross is focused on identifying the internal failures so we can revise our operations and implement necessary changes. My hope is that results begin to show soon.
see the truth

Brownsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

Mel
Its tough for all the old timers. I wonder if you treat your drivers any better then you used to as any job is better then none. Hopefully people are not driving off any employees with any value over petty bs has happened many times in the past. It is amazing how so few are now doing so much and its no wonder that the company is in a downward spiral losing so much talent that they had. Hopefully the credit rating has been restored so people will begin to do business with Milan Express again as the family and employees are not for the most part bad people but only made a lot of bad contract decisions and poor staffing/workload decisions. I really wish you and everyone there luck as you all have a long uphill climb.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2012

@See The Truth - Thanks for the well wishes :)

@My Opinion - What has you believing that David is incapable of doing well?

I've worked directly with David for a very long time now - and he truly is an intelligent man. He, like others, has his hands tied to a certain degree when it comes to implementing changes. If given the unfettered opportunity to run with some of his ideas, I believe the outcome would surprise many folks.
My Opinion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

David has been running TLS for 2+ years and you believe he has been doing a good job?????
MelOsborne wrote:
@See The Truth - Thanks for the well wishes :)
@My Opinion - What has you believing that David is incapable of doing well?
I've worked directly with David for a very long time now - and he truly is an intelligent man. He, like others, has his hands tied to a certain degree when it comes to implementing changes. If given the unfettered opportunity to run with some of his ideas, I believe the outcome would surprise many folks.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

The bigger issue is that David has been severely restricted in regard to what he is allowed to do. Sadly, I still sense some of those restrictions remaining.

So, in answer to your question, I agree that the overall results that most people see are less than desirable. However, I do believe that David is not at fault for most of that, and that he does very well considering the obstacles that are in his way.
My Opinion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

He is in charge but not responsible for the result??? That line of thinking did not bode well for Mike Stone and it will not for David either.

Unfortunately, from your seat you were not aware of a lot of facts involving David's decision making under Stones tenure. It failed and it cost Stone his job. One thing, no one for David to deflect failures on anymore but I am sure he will try as he always does. I just hope John sends him on his way because the last two years under his direction have not produced positive results and those facts are without question. Funny how he has flip flopped and thrown Stone under the bus when he dreamed up or implemented most of the changes.
MelOsborne wrote:
The bigger issue is that David has been severely restricted in regard to what he is allowed to do. Sadly, I still sense some of those restrictions remaining.
So, in answer to your question, I agree that the overall results that most people see are less than desirable. However, I do believe that David is not at fault for most of that, and that he does very well considering the obstacles that are in his way.
MelOsborne

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

"In charge, but not responsible" is a result of striving to make beneficial changes but being restricted from doing so. So when the end result is negative, it's because he wasn't allowed to prevent it. It's rather like the Serenity Prayer - "Grant me serenity to accept the things I can not change".

@My Opinion - Are you still with Milan Express? Did/Do you work in the office?

It would be interesting to learn more about your theories if you'd care to share them. You're welcome to share them privately if you'd like -
MelOsborne@gmail.com is my email addy.
My Opinion

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2012

Yes I work at Milan and David is still the same person he was last month and the year before, etc. He should not be in charge of anything except paperwork.....
Still Open

Jackson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Is the place still open????

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atwood Discussions

Search the Atwood Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 11 min Lol 141,342
Casey McDaniel 3 hr Say what 11
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 3 hr Zeke 8,978
crystal d hill 4 hr old friend 5
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 4 hr Wat r we vote n on 8,590
What do you call a Sunday School Teacher (Mar '12) 7 hr guest 3
Paul thomas for Sheriff 9 hr Wright is Wrong for us 91
•••
•••
•••
•••

Atwood Jobs

•••