Officials' court battles take time away from duties

Jun 13, 2007 Full story: Marshfield News-Herald 967

“The burden or proof to result in charges is the lowest level of proof in Wisconsin law, and could not be met by the complainant, Ira Robins”

News of a secret investigation in Medford was leaked to the press. And then it got even more unusual. via Marshfield News-Herald

Full Story
First Prev
of 49
Next Last
The office whistle

Cedaredge, CO

#1 Sep 9, 2007
there is more to the story on The Taylor county DA
Interested citizen

Hotchkiss, CO

#2 Dec 24, 2007
What is the rest of the story?
In the know

Hotchkiss, CO

#3 Dec 24, 2007
I heard the DA caught the 2 former employees doing stuff they shouldn't have. One was using the office emaiml system to carry on an affair with a cop and the office was using the office computer to do her husband's private business.
Nice to see a DA who is willing to take the flack rather than publicly humiliate the 2 former employees

“AIN'T is not a word. STUPID is”

Since: Jul 07

The Internet

#4 Dec 28, 2007
i hope this doesn't effect us at Sorrento Cheese.
Disgusted and appauled

Medford, WI

#5 Apr 27, 2008
Sick of Kelz and he has got to go!
Mmoran is right, Taylor County District Attorney Karl Kelz is sick ,he has lied and misled the people here. And for the misinformed first commenter, get your story straight before you slander people, PAUL HOFFMANN WAS NOT FIRED. We have a pretty good idea who you are so if I were you better recant before we find out. A few Rib Lake village board members and DA Kelz tried to make it look that way to cover all their lies. And they are in the position so people believe them, when if things are looked into it would be a different picture. So either you were lied to or you made this up to put it out there just like they have been doing all along. Get your facts straight and stop assuming and getting on the old ban wagon. Here is the story for your information, A Rib lake village board member was investigated for getting free land from the village while a board member. He blamed Paul and Paul had nothing to do with it. Then a friend of this village board member was picked up for drunk driving and they wanted Paul to dismiss the ticket, and Paul could not and so that is when they started going at Paul for every little thing and making up things. As was said to us, the games will begin. They got the village clerk to file a harassment complaint on Paul. The attorney’s (the clerk had the village attorney and Paul had to get is own.) said it was not harassment, leave it alone or it may be them harassing Paul. But that was not good enough, they hired a retired FBI person to investigate it again and that person said it was not harassment just like the attorney’s said, it was personality conflict. So then Rib Lake village board members said that Paul was bad mouthing them at the health care center, the center wrote a letter saying it was not true and wanted nothing to do with this. The village board member tried other little dirty things and Paul just kept on putting up with it. Paul actually put up with to much crap from these people. He did he best to try to talk to them but they were just on a rampage and would not listen. They don’t know what they had in Paul, he worked hard and brought in many programs and brought in money, he talked to the people and was fair and honest with them. This little mob spread their little lies and just put things out there and loved the gossip and just kept going. The village created a hostile work environment for Paul. This cop had no protection from this little mob. Then District Attorney Karl Kelz who came here in 2002 and in his first year went after the women in the office that were there from a pervious DA. He got rid of them in a very nasty way.(Kelz had his hands in the ridiculous squirrel feeding problem in Wausau, he went after a little old lady for feeding squirrels.) Then Kelz had his hands in getting rid of the county administrator because he stood up for one of the first women Kelz got rid of. Then Paul came along and Kelz accused Paul of missing three court dates, Paul could prove otherwise but they would not listen and just said he was a liar, but they had no proof. Kelz also had his hands in a public defender losing her job. The list just goes on, all done in unethical and nasty ways.
Disgusted and appauled

Medford, WI

#6 Apr 27, 2008
When Paul tried to defend himself against Kelz false allegations and tried to talk to Kelz, Kelz called him untrustworthy and would not listen and neither would the village board who had some members that had it out for Paul. Mind you they made sure they had this all in the paper. Kelz told the public then that he would not prosecute any of Paul’s cases, but yet Kelz was caught in court prosecuting Paul’s cases. So Kelz lied to the public. One of Paul’s cases Kelz prosecuted, he tried to get the person to file a complaint against Paul. The village said they had to let Paul go because he could not do his job because Kelz would not prosecute his cases. The village clerk tried to tell unemployment that Paul resigned but he did not, another lie. And they could not fire him, but they were able to just let his contract run out in 2003.(They did not even have the original contract.) Paul never received his vacation time, comp time or anything; they even lied and tried to prevent him from getting unemployment. Paul did not get a hearing, denied his legal right, nothing was ever proven. Then when Paul was on the Taylor County board, he helped two citizens who had concerns. One citizen had a hit and run and said the cops did not respond to their call. The other citizen said he believes his name got out when he called in to report underage drinking and after that he started getting harassed. Kelz took this and charged Paul with misconduct in office and obstruction to an officer for reporting these concerns of people in the county. Paul never talked to an officer, Paul took the complaints to the county board, Kelz tried to make believe another county board member was an officer, which the judge in Marathon County said no way.(Kelz did this because he knew Paul was fighting the employment thing.) Kelz charged Paul and then backed out do to a conflict of interest and got Chippewa County to prosecute, Chippewa had to back out, and they could not answer any of the judge’s questions. Then Kelz got Marathon County to prosecute and this is what the judge of Marathon county said when they saw what Kelz was really doing,(the judge also warned the prosecutor Kelz got about continuing)“I find that somewhat disconcerting given the fact that one of the greatest powers a district attorney has is the power to charge and to bring the full power of the State of Wisconsin down upon citizens by a charging decision, and it is just peculiar to me that there is a representation that there is a conflict of interest after that significant power is enacted”“Its peculiar that somebody with a conflict would make the charging decision”“maybe the best thing to do is for you to go back and make a decision as to whether or not this should have been charged in the first place.”
This tells you how sick and obsessed DA Kelz really is, Kelz tried to make believe he was just doing a job, but Kelz was hiding and lying behind the job to personally attack, because when Kelz heard the charges were dismissed, Kelz was right on the phone to get the attorney generals office to prosecute Paul, they said no.(Here you have a prosecutor who says he has a conflict but yet is behind the scenes using his position to attack people here instead of doing his job. This guy is sick because he will not stop attacking people and abusing that office.) He doesn’t care to do the right thing and gets off on going after people for ridiculous things. He has no ethics or morals.
Disgusted and appauled

Medford, WI

#7 Apr 27, 2008
Kelz got rid of two more woman is his office in a very nasty way after Paul, and again he made sure he was only heard and his was the only story and the woman were untrustworthy. Kelz also went above the county’s hiring practices and hired his own, ignoring Taylor counties policies, and so the county ended up paying out a large amount of money to an employee. A John Doe on Kelz was done for what he is doing to people here. A judge dismissed it due to a loop hole in the law and the victims were not allowed to speak. With this John Doe getting dismissed on Kelz, Kelz using state and county time, sent out mass emails and also put letters in each county board members box and also in the paper misleading the public again and saying the allegations were false and they were all Paul’s allegations. Kelz misled the public because they are not false allegations and there are more people involved then just Paul, who Kelz has harmed. Kelz also misled and tried to make it look like the person who brought this John Doe on Kelz was not believable because he didn’t have an investigator license. This person did not need a license because he works for an attorney and is an Investigative Consultant, seen on such shows as Larry King Live, Geraldo, Prime Time w/ Diane Swayer, Inside Edition America’s most Wanted…So Kelz when are you going to stop misleading the people?
Recently, Kelz went after a gentleman, who is around 82 years old,(see his vox pop in the Star News paper April, 18, 2008.) Kelz flew of the handle and charged this gentleman without even looking into the facts first, there was no elements to a crime. This gentleman had letters from the DNR to show what he was doing was ok, but Kelz would not look at the letters and just charged and then had to dismiss. This 82 year old gentleman went threw hell, he was booked in, picture taken and put on bond, this should not have happened. This gentleman was only doing a job when another land owner did not want a snowmobile trail on his land. How sad and how much more do we have to put up with?
When in or driving by Taylor County Wisconsin you can say good bye to the constitution.
Sick of Paul

Paonia, CO

#8 Apr 30, 2008
Paul you loser. Just give it up.
Sick of Taylor

Medford, WI

#9 Sep 19, 2008
There is ALOT of corruption in the Taylor County court system. And it was also before Kelz got in too. Who was the other female they wanted out SO bad and the position got filled with Kelz??? I am 56 years of age and voted ONCE in my life and that was the thrill of being 18. It all comes to conclusion that one is not any better than the other. People must really fall for the campaigning ads and are so gullible to be brainwashed. It's too bad the county EVEN needs
one. I was following the runners in that area, and MY GOD WHICH ONE IS BETTER???? I hope Kelz isn't sexing all the county females as Mutter did her other time in office???? Taylor county has a
good soap opera going there.
Sick of Taylor

Medford, WI

#10 Sep 19, 2008
Paul is NOT a loser, if you would get the facts from the horses mouth you would know. It's a circus in Taylor County!!!!
I PERSONALLY DO NOT KNOW HIM OR HIS FAMILY.
There are many that hush just too keep their job!
Sick of Crybabies

Milford, NH

#11 Oct 28, 2008
Mr. Sick of Taylor, I read your posts, Here's my problem with you. First, you're 56 and the last time you voted was when you were 18? Right there, proves you don't get a say in our government because you don't participate. Don't vote, don't gripe!

Second, you state, "Paul is NOT a loser". Then you state, "I PERSONALLY DON'T KNOW HIM OR HIS FAMILY". THEN HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF HE'S A LOSER OR NOT? Plus, anyone who takes the time to make a disclaimer like that either is Hoffman or his wife or a friend.

Those who personally know him and his actions know he is a loser. That's why he's been unemployed for 5 years now.

He is a joke. His stupid letters, signs and nonsense only helped the DA to get re-elected.

Remember the Kinks song, "paranoia will destroy ya!"

Yikes.
Sick of Taylor wrote:
Paul is NOT a loser, if you would get the facts from the horses mouth you would know. It's a circus in Taylor County!!!!
I PERSONALLY DO NOT KNOW HIM OR HIS FAMILY.
There are many that hush just too keep their job!
whats happening

Lyndeborough, NH

#12 Jan 27, 2009
Sick of Paul wrote:
Paul you loser. Just give it up.
Nice education and you say anything else or dont you have a spine
engel

Lyndeborough, NH

#13 Jan 27, 2009
I find it very sad you dont know the fact's if you know Paul why don't you say it to his face if his fact weren't right why is the DA on a deversion program. Secondly If Paul hasn't been working for the past 5 years why do I see him going to work every day for the past five years and he is respected in what he is doing. Just because you are friends with people from rib lake maybe you should ask your self what is being covered up. That paul is on to. You probably don't have the gut to confront paul himself and ask him do you
Sick of Crybabies wrote:
Mr. Sick of Taylor, I read your posts, Here's my problem with you. First, you're 56 and the last time you voted was when you were 18? Right there, proves you don't get a say in our government because you don't participate. Don't vote, don't gripe!
Second, you state, "Paul is NOT a loser". Then you state, "I PERSONALLY DON'T KNOW HIM OR HIS FAMILY". THEN HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF HE'S A LOSER OR NOT? Plus, anyone who takes the time to make a disclaimer like that either is Hoffman or his wife or a friend.
Those who personally know him and his actions know he is a loser. That's why he's been unemployed for 5 years now.
He is a joke. His stupid letters, signs and nonsense only helped the DA to get re-elected.
Remember the Kinks song, "paranoia will destroy ya!"
Yikes.
<quoted text>
Sick of Nonsense

Madison, WI

#14 Feb 10, 2009
The February 5th edition of The Star News said it all about the Hoffmanns. I'm talking about the Vox Pop.

Give it up, you don't like it here. Don't live here. Everyone is sick of your complaining. You need to grow up and move on.

I doubt this will get through to you because you're obsessed. I hope you think about it.
medforsd tax payer

Middleton, WI

#15 Feb 15, 2009
I live in Taylor County and know some of Jeans’s family. All I can say is that where are the cops and the district attorney Karl Kelz. What are they doing there are three unsolved murders in the county and Sheriff Daniels keeps saying were working on it " were close" we have people of interest. Daniels has been an investigator and worked at the department for over 20 years and he still says were close. District attorney Kelz states "I am the best man for the job the only prosecutor that is hard on crime in the county." Well Kelz, from what I read in the paper and heard on www.wiseye.org dealing with the Supreme Court hearing /John Doe complaint against you. You have been DA long enough you don't support victims; you don't do your job. You have been accused of a number of crimes. You plea deal your cases, I have heard your so lazy your not ready for cases that they take 2-4 years to get justice. You offer criminals two years in county jail for driving drunk and killing three one being a baby. I think you’re more of a joke. You been ran out of Marathon County for harassing a elderly lady for feeding squirrels you had problems in Dodgeville and know you have had huge problems with women in your office I am surprised you haven’t been charged with sexual harassment. You had problems with a police chief and your lies against him, you have had problems with your lies about county board members, and you used your office for personal gain. You lost the trust of the public. Your not a DA, you and Daniels are possible criminals your self. Why don't you admit your have no clue who kill Jean or Terry and allow some professionals to come into your county to solve the crimes and investigate you. Why keep giving the tax payers and Jeans family false hope and keep playing the games of smoke and mirrors. Give it up and resign or the people will recall you, something has to be done the people can’t take much more.
Wander2000

Medford, WI

#16 Feb 20, 2009
It is a shame to see how hatred can manifest itself into such a long and draw out campaign to smear another.

Let it go already, you were released from your employment a couple of years ago already.. isn't it time to put it behind you.

Maybe a location change is in order.

You both and Maxwell just keep spinning the flames of conspiracy between the county and village of Rib Lake.

At times it is humorous but it is also sad to see you utilize every possible venue to spread your hatred.

I am sure Kelz isn't perfect and makes mistakes, but whom in this world doesn't?
Sick of Nonsense

Madison, WI

#17 Feb 23, 2009
Wander2000 wrote:
It is a shame to see how hatred can manifest itself into such a long and draw out campaign to smear another.
Let it go already, you were released from your employment a couple of years ago already.. isn't it time to put it behind you.
Maybe a location change is in order.
You both and Maxwell just keep spinning the flames of conspiracy between the county and village of Rib Lake.
At times it is humorous but it is also sad to see you utilize every possible venue to spread your hatred.
I am sure Kelz isn't perfect and makes mistakes, but whom in this world doesn't?
I'm with you Wonder2000. It's curious the above nonsense was repeated almost word for word in last week's Star News. Signed by Lori Hoffmann.
I think it's pretty obvious they have a problem and can't let it go. What a sad way to go through life. Maybe they should be introduced to Oliver Stone? Isn't he the king of conspiracy?
Frozenmisanthrop e

Plano, TX

#19 May 10, 2009
Kelz is a bully, and an evil man.
Cap

Phillips, WI

#20 May 11, 2009
Sick of Crybabies wrote:
Mr. Sick of Taylor, I read your posts, Here's my problem with you. First, you're 56 and the last time you voted was when you were 18? Right there, proves you don't get a say in our government because you don't participate. Don't vote, don't gripe!
<quoted text>
Ya know what voting is, don't ya? Acquiescing control of your life to one who you feel is best suited to control it.

Simple enough.
The Observer

Austin, CO

#21 May 18, 2009
How is Kelz being a bully? I see him as doing the job we pay him to do. Is that going to make some people happy? Nope. I suspect that some who have written some nasty things about him here have been on the wrong side of the law.

Now we all know the former police chief can't stand him, but I haven't seen any proof of any misdeeds. Only wild accusations.

I agree with an earlier writer, I'm sure Kelz isn't perfect, but who is?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 49
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Athens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) Sep 15 fetch almighty 7,058
Shooting... Aug 30 Linda 1
Who do you support for State Senate in Wisconsi... (Oct '10) Aug 25 Tealiban Fascists 7
WI Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin... (Oct '10) Aug 19 Pro People 2,234
What's up with DA Steve Bebb Aug '14 Parris 4 Sheriff 1
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul '14 BOBBY 452
predatory loan by the Mid wisconsin Bank (Apr '13) Jul '14 Interesting 6
•••
•••
•••

Athens Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Athens People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Athens News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Athens
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••