bipolar and ssi

Posted in the Ashland Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
advice

Grayson, KY

#1 Apr 15, 2010
is anyone out bipolar and getting ssi? i need some help didnt know if it was possible.
well

Richmond, KY

#2 Apr 15, 2010
If so, they're pathetic.
I'm bi-polar 2- which means insane mood swings, manic depressive, etc. It sucks, and sometimes life isn't easy, but I work a job, and manage to function a fairly normal life.
If anyone gets SSI for that, they're lazy freaking bums. I'm assuming you are too, since you're looking into it.
Well well

Richmond, KY

#3 Apr 16, 2010
There are all different types of bipolar manifestations, just as there are all different personality types. What if you're bipolar in a way that makes it impossible for you to hold your temper and you have repeated episodes of going off on your boss and coworkers? Don't judge.

And yes, bipolar people can and do get SSI if their problem is so severe it interferes with work.
Cindy

Campbellsville, KY

#4 Apr 25, 2010
I'm not saying anything to bad mouth anyone one here this is just my opinion.

I have a daughter with a mood disorder or bipolar whatever you want to call it. She tried the medications there are out there for this disorder and they didnt work for her so she has had to learn to control herself and her moods. Trust me its not easy but it can be done. There are too many people out there that just want the easy way out so they go after SSI. This leaves people with physical disabilities unable to get SSI. I'm one of those people and it just makes me mad to think people who dont learn to hold their tongue can get a check for flipping their lips just because they dont agree with someone or something. If I could work I would LOVE to work it sucks just hanging out all the time. Learn to control yourself and your moods stop trying to take the easy way out. Yes my daughter has a job working with the public on a daily bases so get past your problem.....
Dude

United States

#5 Apr 25, 2010
Yes to many people use bipolar as an excuse to be bums.
amused

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Apr 25, 2010
Now that too many people have missed the point, yes it is possible to get SSI for bipolar conditions if you have exhausted other avenues of treatment or because you do not have insruance are not able to afford treatment to help yourself.

I took care of someone who was bipolar and bpd and they were approved for assistance, once they got into serivces such as cognitive and vocational therapy and found a stabilizing medication, they are better now, but without having gotten SSI and its benefits would not have been able to.

This person now lives a productive life with a job and family and its possible that can happen for you as well. Good luck
Tim Crum

United States

#7 Apr 25, 2010
if you get ssi because you claim to be bipolar, how gay is that? what a cop out. what a loser you must be. Bipolar is a fake disease for lazy idiots who want to be a burden on those of us who work. Losers!!!!
who knows

Ashland, KY

#8 Apr 25, 2010
Tim Crum wrote:
if you get ssi because you claim to be bipolar, how gay is that? what a cop out. what a loser you must be. Bipolar is a fake disease for lazy idiots who want to be a burden on those of us who work. Losers!!!!
have u ever lived with someone who is suppose to be bipolar ??
hmmm

Russell, KY

#9 Apr 25, 2010
hjkhyughhjkj
advice

Grayson, KY

#11 Apr 28, 2010
first of all im not a lazy bum and trying to take the easy way out. i have managed with my problems for many years, recently i was hospitilized and lost my job. until i can find the right meds and help, i need a way to support myself. with no car and no insurance, times arent that easy. its people like you who make it hard for someone like me to work in the public,im to the point i hate to leave my house. and i have never went off on someone before didnt even know that was a sideaffect. mr tim crumm,what a sorry loser you must be to be on topix making fun of someone. i just simply wanted advice.
amused

Flatwoods, KY

#12 Apr 28, 2010
You will have to ignore some of the miscreants that post on here that have no clue about anything other then their own agenda.

Bipolar disorder can manifest differently in each person some more or less severe then others. It also generally takes at least 90 days for the medication to work, if they get the right medicine the first time.
Sane one

Brea, CA

#13 Apr 29, 2010
Talk to your Dr. About the rx ( abilify). It changed my life.
advice

Grayson, KY

#14 Apr 29, 2010
i just started abilify this week, i hope this one helps.
Sane one

Bowling Green, KY

#15 May 1, 2010
I wish u the best of luck. I started out with " lamictal" combined with the Abilify.
jacob

Chesapeake, OH

#16 May 1, 2010
i am trying to get ssi because of my conditons. i have ocd and am bi-polar andit has left me unable to function in a normal way so i can't work
MeOnly

Flatwoods, KY

#17 May 1, 2010
I have a cousin who is bipolar, adhd, ocd. He has these really bad. He was denied, because he graduated high school and worked some. I know another guy who never finished school, worked maybe 1 month out of the year and got it. So I think it depends on how bad it has affected your life from way in the past to the future.
Dude

Brea, CA

#18 May 1, 2010
I think it's just an excuse for lazy people who don't want to work. Twenty years ago this crap never existed. Stop soaking up my tax dollars for a b.s. condition and go to work!
CKguy

Brea, CA

#19 May 1, 2010
Dude wrote:
I think it's just an excuse for lazy people who don't want to work. Twenty years ago this crap never existed. Stop soaking up my tax dollars for a b.s. condition and go to work!
I am bi polar and have been for some time now. I hold an 80k per year job. Ignorance is a disease itself to which I'm sure you pray for a cure daily.
Edward

United States

#20 May 1, 2010
So your bi polar an hold an 80000 a yr job that's great. What the Dude was trying to say is bi polar people are capable of working, I am bipolar as well as my brother and both have very well paying jobs also. He actually has rapid cycling bipolar disorder, and changes from min to min and keeps a very well paying job. So though I think he miss typed I think that is what he was trying to say is that people are using psychological conditions to not have to work and get ssi and other stuff, rather than try and be responsible productive citizens they become handicapped by a condition that all though difficult at times doesn't make it impossible to be a regular working stiff there are many other conditions that people use the same way. Sorry I jump around but I also have ADD and my thoughts move faster than I can type
aspiemom

Greenup, KY

#21 May 1, 2010
My 7yr old is an aspie child with bi-polar and let me tell you dumb ass ppl something that says SSI is just for lazy bums....2 of my childs meds cost $800 a month that is insurance does not pay for. He has to have these meds to function. So yes my child does recieve SSI, oh and yes my husband does have a good paying job, but really who can afford that much in medicine monthly? Very few ppl...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Ashland Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 10 min Yes and Amen 131,390
Column: David Edwards, another lottery loser (Aug '07) 1 hr White Lightening 635
Pedos Anonymous 2 hr Anon 28
anybody interested in starting a business 3 hr cat 4
Sodomy 3rd Degree Arrest in Boyd County 4 hr Justice 16
fairview 5 hr John Paul 743
legalize weed 6 hr What 82
KDMC Eliminating an entire department and outso... 15 hr EMT 39
Ashland Dating
Find my Match

Ashland Jobs

Ashland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ashland News, Events & Info