i want the old brentwood back

Posted in the Asharoken Forum

First Prev
of 67
Next Last
IMAUCHAL

Apo, AE

#1 Apr 24, 2007
Kick the can, Big Wheel racers in the streets, Mr Softee, Weekend football games, Hockey games between streets, BYA, Joe's Pizza, The smell of entenmanns on saturday mornings. KAYMAC ST

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#2 Apr 29, 2007
Hills. Bohacks. Dugans cakes. Bungalow Bar. Block parties. Stoop ball. Charlie's Chips. 25 cent slices of Pizza. Cream Puff Bakery. Carvel chocolate cones with sprinkles. Every Sunday, the italian sauce cooking on the stove for hours. The italian music.
LFP

Northport, NY

#3 May 2, 2007
So do I!!!! The movie theatre, the old 5 & 10 next to where Woods used to be, Campbell's Bakery when it still made cakes other than dulce de leche, Village Elementary School, the open air South Shore Mall (when Macy's still sold pools, that looked so inviting through the fence in the summer!), the big stately houses that were occupied by one family instead of 25 unrelated, undocumented workers, Franklin Bank, Jack in the Box, the big restaurant on the corner of Brentwood Rd. & Third Ave. before it went Spanish, safe streets, pool parties, milk deliveries, the Long Island Press, Harel's Jewelers -- ah yes. Thank goodness Knoll Farm is still there. How to get it all back?

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#4 May 2, 2007
LFP wrote:
So do I!!!! The movie theatre, the old 5 & 10 next to where Woods used to be, Campbell's Bakery when it still made cakes other than dulce de leche, Village Elementary School, the open air South Shore Mall (when Macy's still sold pools, that looked so inviting through the fence in the summer!), the big stately houses that were occupied by one family instead of 25 unrelated, undocumented workers, Franklin Bank, Jack in the Box, the big restaurant on the corner of Brentwood Rd. & Third Ave. before it went Spanish, safe streets, pool parties, milk deliveries, the Long Island Press, Harel's Jewelers -- ah yes. Thank goodness Knoll Farm is still there. How to get it all back?
My sister took riding lessons at Knoll Farm and every Sunday, used to go to Entemann's on fifth ave for cake. Loved the Farmer's market on Brentwood road. The Pennysaver!!!!!!!!!! How to get it all back? Take to the streets??????????
IMAUCHAL

Apo, AE

#5 May 2, 2007
Super Hero. Bob's Deli (I actually worked there), Dr Diverny on Islip Ave. Old man working at TRL. Did i say Super Hero's? Football Games on the LILCO lawn. Italian Fest at SUNY. Zeppolies. Black and White Cookies. Maslow Toffler.
Rangers 4 Life

Oceanside, CA

#6 May 3, 2007
Playing in the street until dark, playing manhunt in the woods of the golf course. Finding golf balls in those woods and selling them to golfers 5 for a dollar, The Feast of Mother Cabrini, BYA of old where there were there was a minumum of 12 teams per division, Chicago's Pizza on Brentwood Road and 3rd Ave, Going sledding in the golf course or at Porkchop hill, camping in the backyard of friends, Carvel across the street from McDonalds, Brent City, key food, I dont think any of these is left....

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#7 May 3, 2007
Rangers 4 Life wrote:
Playing in the street until dark, playing manhunt in the woods of the golf course. Finding golf balls in those woods and selling them to golfers 5 for a dollar, The Feast of Mother Cabrini, BYA of old where there were there was a minumum of 12 teams per division, Chicago's Pizza on Brentwood Road and 3rd Ave, Going sledding in the golf course or at Porkchop hill, camping in the backyard of friends, Carvel across the street from McDonalds, Brent City, key food, I dont think any of these is left....
But we are. We can sing about it!!!!!!! Remember the woman in Brentwood who drove a damn herse? Brentwood Taxi. Brentwood railroad station.
Erik

AOL

#8 May 11, 2007
Wow!! Pork chop Hill!! I remember sledding there, and riding dirt bikes there too! Leaving the front door unlocked, cutting across the golf course to go to the movies. Super Hero!! An d Jack in the Box! Good times on Bushwick Ave!!!

“The Yankees are my Daddy......”

Since: May 07

MCAGCC, 29 Palms, CA

#9 May 12, 2007
Dan's Deli even though it was technically in C.I. but on the corner of Calebs and Vanderbilt, they had the BEST EGG SANDWICHES. The Calebs Pizza of old. The good old 316 car settling arguments on rules scores or goals during street sports by giving his always "expert opinion" walking to Northeast Elementary from Vanderbilt Ave.

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#10 May 12, 2007
The carnivals in Brentwood, like the Mother Cabrini, that they used to have on Old Crooked Hill Road, where Suffolk Community is.
carl

Odessa, FL

#11 May 13, 2007
rember the donut truck jack in the box /not jacks grammas bagels drive in on 5th ave farmers market flea makets at the drive inn hills .shoprite
LFP

United States

#12 May 21, 2007
The drive-in! Yes! And Bay Shore Roller Rink, and that gorgeous movie theatre in downtown Bay Shore that should have been made into a landmark instead of turned into a YMCA. I also remember people pitching tents in their backyards in the summer, and the kids sleeping (safely) in them. Walking home safely from the bus stop without risk of abduction. Glass bottle milk deliveries. Redwood pools. Pool parties. Tap/ballet classes at Oak Park Elementary after school.

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#13 May 21, 2007
Can anyone name the streets in our neighborhoods? Ames, Broadway, Alkier, Front, American Blvd, Clarke, Chapel Hill, fifth Ave, nineth street, Gibson, Brentwood Rd, Union Blvd, New York Ave (Huntington) Bread And Cheese Hollow (Northport) I know I am forgetting a million but my point is, I cant name more then two streets up the block from where I am now but I can remember many many in Brentwood/Bayshore/ and surrounding areas.
IMAUCHAL

Apo, AE

#14 May 22, 2007
Kaymac, Jewel, Grand Blvd, Kopf, (My Hood). How about when Pre-school used to be in the big building by the BYA. We also used to have boxing matches there.
Lexy

AOL

#15 May 28, 2007
Brentwood will never ever be the same. It has been taken over. I remember, I think it was Food Fair, by the old Brentwood theatre, used to be Grants department stores in the shopping center.

I lived in Bayshore, which also used to be beautiful, lived right between Spur drive and Candlewood road, where Bohacks used to be. My grandmother would come every weekend from Queens to stay with us, and shop at Bohacks. The manager was a nice Polish guy, and him and my grandmother would talk Polish to one another.

That's why I left NY. My town was invaded, and life will never be the same. There was a time when if you came from Brentwood or Bayshore, you were considered wealthy.
Lexy

AOL

#16 May 28, 2007
Hilltop Lane, Candlewood Road, Commack Road, Spur Drive north and south.

Anyone remember Charlies Hotdogs on Spur drive, right after Islip avenue??? Had the truck in front of his house. I think Hess was the gas station on the corner.
Lexy

AOL

#17 May 28, 2007
LFP,

I went to Oak Park Elementary School!!

Those were the real good old days. I went

to South Junior High, and then to Ross.

You just got me thinking about alot of things from my childhood!!

Remember those carnival trucks that used to go up and down the streets, with those little spinning cars and you could ride for 25 cents??

Anyoen remember that??

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#18 May 28, 2007
Lexy wrote:
Brentwood will never ever be the same. It has been taken over. I remember, I think it was Food Fair, by the old Brentwood theatre, used to be Grants department stores in the shopping center.
I lived in Bayshore, which also used to be beautiful, lived right between Spur drive and Candlewood road, where Bohacks used to be. My grandmother would come every weekend from Queens to stay with us, and shop at Bohacks. The manager was a nice Polish guy, and him and my grandmother would talk Polish to one another.
That's why I left NY. My town was invaded, and life will never be the same. There was a time when if you came from Brentwood or Bayshore, you were considered wealthy.
Crazy, Houses going for 250 thou when they were 69 thou. My nana came from Brooklyn every weekend to stay with us. Then she moved in with us. I remember Bohacks. John's Bargain store? I remember those rides but the cars we rode in for a quarter went all the way back and up again. We were wealthy, Lexy, we lived through a world that no one else will ever have to privledge of knowing about and it made us into wonderful Long Islanders! I loved Brentwood market, their meats were incredible, their sausages, the Bellachicco italian breads. Italian ices, rainbow and lemon flavors. One slice 25 cents, the oil dripping down your arm, even with the paper wrapper. Finast supermarket had the best chocolate crescent cookies. Bayshore Marina for the best fire works.
Lexy

AOL

#19 May 28, 2007
Vee wrote:
<quoted text>Crazy, Houses going for 250 thou when they were 69 thou. My nana came from Brooklyn every weekend to stay with us. Then she moved in with us. I remember Bohacks. John's Bargain store? I remember those rides but the cars we rode in for a quarter went all the way back and up again. We were wealthy, Lexy, we lived through a world that no one else will ever have to privledge of knowing about and it made us into wonderful Long Islanders! I loved Brentwood market, their meats were incredible, their sausages, the Bellachicco italian breads. Italian ices, rainbow and lemon flavors. One slice 25 cents, the oil dripping down your arm, even with the paper wrapper. Finast supermarket had the best chocolate crescent cookies. Bayshore Marina for the best fire works.
Oh Vee, such wonderful memories!! I even remember the South Shore Mall, before it became enclosed! I have to go now, but will be back tomorrow. I really am enjoying this forum, and sharing memories.

It's funny, my dad would go every Saturday morning to the Brentwood Market, at like 7am for fruits and vegetables and to chat with all the neighbors. They did have the best of everything.

Vee

“Man Of Every Hour”

Location hidden

#20 May 28, 2007
Lexy wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Vee, such wonderful memories!! I even remember the South Shore Mall, before it became enclosed! I have to go now, but will be back tomorrow. I really am enjoying this forum, and sharing memories.
It's funny, my dad would go every Saturday morning to the Brentwood Market, at like 7am for fruits and vegetables and to chat with all the neighbors. They did have the best of everything.
Tomatoes 4 pounds for one dollar. I was there at least once a week with my mom and nana. I remember the mall before it was closed in, too. And Baraccini. The farmer's market across the street, where I was every single weekend and the pickle guy in there, made the half sour, wow!Indian nuts, I bet you never even heard of them. On Rt 111, near Dairy Queen there was a farm stand, I would go every weekend and buy up their corn on the cob, I could never get enough of it. I miss the farm stands like that. I could not believe it when Yellow top closed down. I remember when D Q went chocolate and gave Carvel a run for their money. Hansel and Gretle cold cuts was the rage. Remember Korvettes? Fortunoffs? We bought that crappy Veg O Matic in there after watching the demonstration.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 67
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asharoken Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Joe Voter 6,473
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 17 hr Bruser 2,299
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 760
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) Tue NAVYVET 6,391
Rents for affordable housing apartments that ar... Mon FLstorm 4
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Sep 28 Jeff 16,795
Oil company bilked out of $142,000 (Mar '07) Sep 27 Deidra 336
Asharoken Dating
Find my Match

Asharoken Jobs

Asharoken People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Asharoken News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Asharoken

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]