Cheap natural gas, mild winter, more cited in coal's downturn

Jul 22, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TriCities.com

Earl Neikirk/Bristol Herald Courier - Miners Charles Barnette, left, and Lee Kegley talk about the OSAKA Mine where they work.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of76
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
theo

Christiansburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 22, 2012
 

Judged:

4

3

1

Its called OBAMA's WAR ON COAL, with the EPA as his weapon. These new laws are going to destroy a way of life in the central app. area. This was his campaign promise "burn coal and I will bankrupt you".
clarify yourself

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Exactly where and when did the President say that? And please quote something other than fox news.
NotCastingRocks

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

clarify yourself wrote:
Exactly where and when did the President say that? And please quote something other than fox news.
They can't quote the President because they pull this shit out of thin mindless air. Those who spred this crap make it up as they go. The info is always wrong, but they keep e-mailing everyone with their brain farts.
clarify yourself

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I wonder why people can't realize that the very same companies that are telling them that it is all the fault of the President as to why jobs are being cut, actually own the natural gas companies producing the cheap gas that is driving up the price of coal causing those jobs to go. I'll say this, older miners, men who worked in the mines in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, wouldn't believe this propaganda.
southern gentleman

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

i never knew a&g owned haliburton your logic is twisted
clarify yourself

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

A&G is a small time company. Companies like Arch, Southern Coal, even Alpha are all owned by, or in cooperation with companies like Shell, Occidental Petroleum, BP, and others. You know that my logic isn't twisted. Let me ask you a question, is it in a company's best interest, not the men themselves, to maintain the environmnent, provide quality safety precautions, or get in and get out as cheaply as they can?
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

clarify yourself wrote:
Exactly where and when did the President say that? And please quote something other than fox news.
Here you can hear it from the jackass's mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

NotCastingRocks wrote:
<quoted text>They can't quote the President because they pull this shit out of thin mindless air. Those who spred this crap make it up as they go. The info is always wrong, but they keep e-mailing everyone with their brain farts.
Are you REALLY that stupid? Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

clarify yourself wrote:
A&G is a small time company. Companies like Arch, Southern Coal, even Alpha are all owned by, or in cooperation with companies like Shell, Occidental Petroleum, BP, and others. You know that my logic isn't twisted. Let me ask you a question, is it in a company's best interest, not the men themselves, to maintain the environmnent, provide quality safety precautions, or get in and get out as cheaply as they can?
At this point it really doesn't matter now does it? Obama had destroyed coal and with it this part of the nation. EVERYONE will pay the price for this, jobs will be lost in a chain reaction, NO jobs in SW V will go untouched by this fools actions. The county is already facing the fact that without the coal severance tax it will be screwed, add to that they now owe an addition 70+ million due to peace and perry spending us into debt for generations to come. As more jobs leave more people will move, property values will crash, taxes will soar. Roads will not get paved, trash will not be removed, layoffs will become more and more common and YOU and all like you who have your nose up Obama's and the lefts backsides will suffer just like everyone else who remains
clarify yourself

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

2

Alright. Let's clear some things up here.

1. The President doesn't say HE would bankrupt the coal industry. What he says is that someone can build a coal fired power plant but they will be charged a price for every aspect of carbon initiated air and water pollution.
2. He doesn't say anything about a coal company. As a matter of fact, he says the same thing goes for nuclear power plants.
3. To call the President a jackass is an ignorant and racist statement. That is just pathetic. Youu wouldn't call him that if he were white.
4. You don't even know me. To call me stupid is just sad.
5. I grew up within about 2 miles of the largest mine in the world at the time, McClure One, over in Dickenson County, and about 10 miles downriver from Lambert Fork Mine. Lambert Fork and all of the others let their refuse out in the river which, at the time, was funneled through the water preparation plant and back into our homes. It was this water that gave me cancer that I am still feeling the effects of. There were minimal EPA regs and therefore my parents could not prove that it was the coal company that contributed to my cancer. However, there have been atleast 10 other people, including my uncle, from that community who have either been diagnosed or died from cancer from that water.

So with that said, how can you condone the actions of a company or companies that willfully pollute the environment to make a profit?
whiskey

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

clarify yourself wrote:
Alright. Let's clear some things up here.
1. The President doesn't say HE would bankrupt the coal industry. What he says is that someone can build a coal fired power plant but they will be charged a price for every aspect of carbon initiated air and water pollution.
2. He doesn't say anything about a coal company. As a matter of fact, he says the same thing goes for nuclear power plants.
3. To call the President a jackass is an ignorant and racist statement. That is just pathetic. Youu wouldn't call him that if he were white.
4. You don't even know me. To call me stupid is just sad.
5. I grew up within about 2 miles of the largest mine in the world at the time, McClure One, over in Dickenson County, and about 10 miles downriver from Lambert Fork Mine. Lambert Fork and all of the others let their refuse out in the river which, at the time, was funneled through the water preparation plant and back into our homes. It was this water that gave me cancer that I am still feeling the effects of. There were minimal EPA regs and therefore my parents could not prove that it was the coal company that contributed to my cancer. However, there have been atleast 10 other people, including my uncle, from that community who have either been diagnosed or died from cancer from that water.
So with that said, how can you condone the actions of a company or companies that willfully pollute the environment to make a profit?
you are right.no one can justify this nonsense.if the coal corps..would work with the Government.we could have cleaner mining an a better Enviroment..for everone as well as other companys gas an oil ect..it can,t be all one sided its a give an take on both sides we the people.need to work togather stop the bickering..an get this done thank/you.
clarify yourself

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Ok. You still haven't given me any facts as to why the right wing is better than the left. Do you honestly believe that these corporate executives are losing sleep over the fact that coal miners are losing their jobs. C'mon. It seems like anymore all people on the right can do is call people names and hurl insults without any substance. It's people like YOU who make people from the mountains feel terrible when people figure out where they are from. People like YOU on the right are very similar to the brainwashed drones who acted because of fear in Germany in the 1930s.
Just for poops and giggle wrote:
<quoted text>
At this point it really doesn't matter now does it? Obama had destroyed coal and with it this part of the nation. EVERYONE will pay the price for this, jobs will be lost in a chain reaction, NO jobs in SW V will go untouched by this fools actions. The county is already facing the fact that without the coal severance tax it will be screwed, add to that they now owe an addition 70+ million due to peace and perry spending us into debt for generations to come. As more jobs leave more people will move, property values will crash, taxes will soar. Roads will not get paved, trash will not be removed, layoffs will become more and more common and YOU and all like you who have your nose up Obama's and the lefts backsides will suffer just like everyone else who remains
mildone

Blacksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

southern gentleman wrote:
i never knew a&g owned haliburton your logic is twisted
Halliburton is not a gas company, they are a service company that works for the producers. They provide services such as down hole tools, stimulation, cement, etc.
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

clarify yourself wrote:
Alright. Let's clear some things up here.
1. The President doesn't say HE would bankrupt the coal industry. What he says is that someone can build a coal fired power plant but they will be charged a price for every aspect of carbon initiated air and water pollution.
2. He doesn't say anything about a coal company. As a matter of fact, he says the same thing goes for nuclear power plants.
3. To call the President a jackass is an ignorant and racist statement. That is just pathetic. Youu wouldn't call him that if he were white.
4. You don't even know me. To call me stupid is just sad.
5. I grew up within about 2 miles of the largest mine in the world at the time, McClure One, over in Dickenson County, and about 10 miles downriver from Lambert Fork Mine. Lambert Fork and all of the others let their refuse out in the river which, at the time, was funneled through the water preparation plant and back into our homes. It was this water that gave me cancer that I am still feeling the effects of. There were minimal EPA regs and therefore my parents could not prove that it was the coal company that contributed to my cancer. However, there have been atleast 10 other people, including my uncle, from that community who have either been diagnosed or died from cancer from that water.
So with that said, how can you condone the actions of a company or companies that willfully pollute the environment to make a profit?
Clear some things up? Funny you did a pretty poor job of it. Like it or not, Obama's EPA is closing coal for good. That should make you quite happy. As for Calling Obama a jackass being racist, that's grasping at straws don't you think? Trust me I hate his white half as much as the other whatever that might be. Jackass was as kind a term I could say about him. I could have said he's a racist and has proved so time and time again, jumping the gun and blaming the officer while siding with the 'black' professor who was braking into his own house which later lead to the 'beer summit' His policies are anti business, not one thing has he done to encourage business growth, in fact everything he has done has slowed growth, the proof being the dead job market across the nation, over 14, million people are unemployed today due to his policies. His "affordable care act?" does exactly the opposite, it has no price controls in it at all, rates for the average person have jumped 13% since it was passed, all this did was add more taxes to millions who can not afford it as it is.

As to cancer, if you actually did a little research you'd find out that the rates of cancer in ALL of this area are far higher than anywhere else. BUT those rates have been that way for 125 years, long before the process of strip mining ever came on the scene.

Once the coal companies are gone, then what? Who will pave your roads? Who will pay for your schools? Who will pay for the needs that will go unmet? No one, you can sit back and watch SW V die a slow and painful death knowing you helped kill it. When the post offices close due to not being able to justify keeping them open due to a lack of people, the tax rates on property owners go through the roof to make up for the empty and vacate homes then maybe, just maybe you'll get the picture. If not, you will when you get your future electric bills. You don't close 60 power plants in 16 months and not pass on the cost. Your fuel assistance won't help you then when you're freezing in the dark.
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

whiskey wrote:
<quoted text>you are right.no one can justify this nonsense.if the coal corps..would work with the Government.we could have cleaner mining an a better Enviroment..for everone as well as other companys gas an oil ect..it can,t be all one sided its a give an take on both sides we the people.need to work togather stop the bickering..an get this done thank/you.
Work with the Gov? What the hell are you talking about? There are mines that have been waiting for over 38 months to gain permits that were ok by the Army Corp of engineers, but are dead due to the EPA.

Mining is cleaner now than at anytime ever. Oh they are 'get this done' alright, they are killing SW V Eastern KY and West VA. some people just can't see the writing on the wall.
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

clarify yourself wrote:
Ok. You still haven't given me any facts as to why the right wing is better than the left. Do you honestly believe that these corporate executives are losing sleep over the fact that coal miners are losing their jobs. C'mon. It seems like anymore all people on the right can do is call people names and hurl insults without any substance. It's people like YOU who make people from the mountains feel terrible when people figure out where they are from. People like YOU on the right are very similar to the brainwashed drones who acted because of fear in Germany in the 1930s. <quoted text>
And its people like YOU who want to leach off the working people instead of being self sufficient. Its people like YOU who feel they are 'owed' some great debt by others who have been successful.
Have you ever created a job? Provided work where a man or women could earn a living and provide for their family? Prob. not, but you sure can envy belittle and run them down can't you? Obama has done one thing very well, created a class warfare that will never heal. Teaching some to hate and grudge someone else for working hard and being successful. This country is running full speed off a cliff. Give it two or perhaps three years and you're going to find out the truth. The debt can't be paid. Social Security is broke. The dollar is going to fall to the point where its not worth anything but burning in the stove for heat. Then what will you do? When the check don't come, the stores are empty, bread cost a days wage. Its coming and people like you are running full speed for it. And you'll have no one to blame but yourselves, of course you'll blame someone else, but by then no one will care what you or anyone else says, cause it will be everyone for them selves. Those who can not survive on their own, will not survive at all. Just call it Darwinism on steroids.
Melvin Hicks

Salem, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 23, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

1. The President doesn't say HE would bankrupt the coal industry. What he says is that someone can build a coal fired power plant but they will be charged a price for every aspect of carbon initiated air and water pollution.
2. He doesn't say anything about a coal company. As a matter of fact, he says the same thing goes for nuclear power plants.
3. To call the President a jackass is an ignorant and racist statement. That is just pathetic. Youu wouldn't call him that if he were white.
Whoa, Hoss. You just pulled the race card for absolutely no reason. I have called every President since Jefferson a jackass over one point or another. THAT is just pathetic, crying race over typical political name-calling.
We know the real talking points are over when the race card is played. It is like a "get out of jail free" card. Or so some think.
The truth is the Left/Right paradigm is not even an accurate way of judging one's political beliefs. I am very socially liberal. I am very conservative, Goldwater conservative when it comes to government. The "two-party" game is a show, like pro wrestling. It keeps the ignorant entertained and believing that there is an active OPPOSITION when these insane laws are written and passed by both sides.
From NAFTA, GATT, to the "Patriot" act, NDAA, SOPA, a slew of illegal, imperial "Executive Orders" this nation has been guided by one principle-Corporate Profit. PERIOD. Your land, your wages, even you own CHILDREN are nothing but commodities to be used, bought and sold by the insane, amoral, gnostic elite that has been in charge of Europe and the United States for a long, long time.
HOW can you fight back when you don't have a clue as to who the enemy is? It is NOT Obama. Getting rid of Obama will give you Romney. Is that REALLY better. Oh, to the Christians here. How can you support either one?
In fact, until enough of you wake-up and understand that neither "party" has anything in mind for you except a boot in the face, you are lost. The recent staged event in Colorado should show you that they will do anything to get you guns, get the last bit of wealth the middle-class has left and cancer you out of this world as fast as can be done.
The local water is POISON, the food is awful, you can't get chewing gum sweetened with sugar unless you go on a safari for it. Planes are leaving trails of aerosol across the sky and nobody even notices what is physically an impossibility. Why? Because they are whacked-out on the water, food, vaccines, bath salts, prozac, halcion plus the fluoride compounds they pump into the water at our expense...I FORGOT..it for kids teeth, right?
We live in a very dangerous new world and all of us want it to be 1974 again. It is not going to happen. The friendly skies are filled with groped, doped passengers and drones with IR sensors able to watch your daughter shower. We are in such debt that default is a matter-of-time...sooner-the-be tter!
Learn just WHO the FED is. Learn just WHO the I.R.S. REALLY is. Try to stay awake long enough to read a bit and for God's sake, turn the TV off.
jerry

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Just for poops and giggle wrote:
<quoted text>
Work with the Gov? What the hell are you talking about? There are mines that have been waiting for over 38 months to gain permits that were ok by the Army Corp of engineers, but are dead due to the EPA.
Mining is cleaner now than at anytime ever. Oh they are 'get this done' alright, they are killing SW V Eastern KY and West VA. some people just can't see the writing on the wall.
yea they been wating..with the same ole dirty coal..as before now lets get this straight..coal corps..want mtr..witch means fill all Hollows an streams..with NO Enforcment against them at all Destroy whats left of the water shed Not be Responcible for any flooding or wind Damage build us a few golf courses..maybe a Airport..then some houseing progects an a few tralor parks.then in a short few years..all mining corps..an jobs will be gone.while were stuck in a Dusty commuity..with Nothing not Even tourist..will visit an when we do go to a park.such as Breaks we will Have to pay..A unGodly price..simply Because there will be no other choices.or we could work togather mine coal in a Responcible manner.have a Good Ecomney..an a Great place to Live.soon this Desicion will truley be ours to make just becareful what you wish for you may Not like what you End up with.I Really do wish the best for everyone of us.
Just for poops and giggle

Wise, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 24, 2012
 

Judged:

1

jerry wrote:
<quoted text>yea they been wating..with the same ole dirty coal..as before now lets get this straight..coal corps..want mtr..witch means fill all Hollows an streams..with NO Enforcment against them at all Destroy whats left of the water shed Not be Responcible for any flooding or wind Damage build us a few golf courses..maybe a Airport..then some houseing progects an a few tralor parks.then in a short few years..all mining corps..an jobs will be gone.while were stuck in a Dusty commuity..with Nothing not Even tourist..will visit an when we do go to a park.such as Breaks we will Have to pay..A unGodly price..simply Because there will be no other choices.or we could work togather mine coal in a Responcible manner.have a Good Ecomney..an a Great place to Live.soon this Desicion will truley be ours to make just becareful what you wish for you may Not like what you End up with.I Really do wish the best for everyone of us.
That 'dirty' coal has paid the bills for the majority of people west of Abingdon for generation after generation. But you'll soon have your wishes and dreams, a dead southwest Va, with nothing. No jobs, no schools, no life. Enjoy.
clarify yourself

Roanoke, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 24, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

How would there be no life? We have some of the most ideal tourist areas in the whole country. We have some of the most spectacular views found anywhere. C'mon. You know as well as I do that we can do many things here, life doesn't not have to be tied to coal. We do have quality educational facilities here. The reason why our educational system is lacking is because there are so many people here who are not educated, who hate education and teachers, and do not want their children to do better. Oh, and by the way, if coal is so clean, and doesn't have an adverse effect on the people here or the environment, then why have so many, including my grandfather and father-in-law, died of black lung, a disease directly related to coal?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of76
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Appalachia Forum right now

Search the Appalachia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Anyone know Ashley Collins that graduated from ... 59 min Oh Yeah 4
Beth Dorton 1 hr Chad 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 1 hr abe 1,349
Sturgill construction 2 hr FYI 2
Norton City Schools COLD 3 hr Kkk 10
hookers 4 hr of course 10
Logisticare good or bad place to work? (Jul '11) 10 hr Someone 24
•••

Freeze Warning for Wise County was issued at April 16 at 9:11PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••

Appalachia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Appalachia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••