Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb 8,098
Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ... Full Story
Kent

Saint Louis, MO

#2301 Jun 12, 2009
For the lady who went to see Dr. Peter Billing, can you give us an update.
I think your name was Kathy. I lost your email address. I know there was another surgeon you were looking at also. I am interested.
Seth

Seattle, WA

#2302 Jun 13, 2009
Sheri wrote:

Has anyone had to pay for their mesh removal surgery on their own? I was just wondering cause I have to try to get the money for surgery myself because my insurance wont allow me to go out of state. It sux!

What kind of mesh did you have put in?
Did you have your mesh put in by Dr. Goodyear or a prolene PHS mesh?

I think the old way of putting in mesh had a lot of positive aspects. Mesh has had it's problems and there is no question a good "stitch" repair worked. Mesh can be rejected and/or contract. I am not sure if contraction is being blamed for mesh rejection. I personally think if someone has had trouble with mesh rejection or contraction to have these meshes taken out. I would see Dr. Kevin Petersen in Las Vegas if you don't have much money. He takes down payments and does not use mesh except in rare cases.
Wolf99

AOL

#2303 Jun 15, 2009
Seth wrote:
Sheri wrote:
Has anyone had to pay for their mesh removal surgery on their own? I was just wondering cause I have to try to get the money for surgery myself because my insurance wont allow me to go out of state. It sux!
What kind of mesh did you have put in?
Did you have your mesh put in by Dr. Goodyear or a prolene PHS mesh?
I think the old way of putting in mesh had a lot of positive aspects. Mesh has had it's problems and there is no question a good "stitch" repair worked. Mesh can be rejected and/or contract. I am not sure if contraction is being blamed for mesh rejection. I personally think if someone has had trouble with mesh rejection or contraction to have these meshes taken out. I would see Dr. Kevin Petersen in Las Vegas if you don't have much money. He takes down payments and does not use mesh except in rare cases.
06/15/09; Good morning Seth ,Is their any real answers to hernia repairs??? With the Tension technique{Mayo Method with no mesh} everyone pretty much knows that you got change your life style, especially if their has been more then one hernia surgery, It's getting to be ever so confusing to whom to belief in, reading almost all past forums on this topic of hernia's and patents on the mesh The mesh was invented to cut down on the high rate of recurrence from the tension method. But it's not doing what it was suppose to do. Like everything else in the medical world it's just a quick fix with no long term remedieds,but long term side effects, just to keep the medical world spinning,and insurance companies rich. How come it's easier to come up with inventions to repair material things in our daily lifes but nothing to fix our lifes once we get down??? Not to be a smart butt,but why haven't they medical scientist come up with something in the line of { the spray foam tuff stuff , liquid nail all weather caulk , in which is for home repairs},but yet nothing like that for people repair. Yet they can come up with plastic mesh.
Swimmer

Bremerton, WA

#2304 Jun 15, 2009
I agree with many of the posters. I think it's important to travel and stay away from the surgeons for the most part that advocate only one type of mesh. Dr. Goodyear does not advocate Parietex mesh nor does the Hernia MD. I believe the Hernia MD used to have his own website and worked at the Univirsity of Maryland. He is very knowledgeable but at times he can be "short and abrupt" with people. The Hernia MD also uses the UltraPro system that Dr. Goodyear uses. However, I would certainly look elsewhere to surgeons who have a broader and more extensive knowledge:

Dr. Bruce Ramshaw in Ohio
Dr. Peter S. Billing in Edmonds
Dr. Todd Henniford at the Carolinas medical center, etc.

Even Dr. Kevin Peterson in Las Vegas who does not use mesh!!

The Shouldice Center in Las Vegas will not take on complicated cases.

Swimmer

Since: Mar 09

Vista, CA

#2305 Jun 15, 2009
Renee wrote:
(1)What is the success rate of taking out a mesh that is giving you problems for some reason and doing a "stitch" repair? The reason I ask this is that one individual had gone to see Dr. Ramshaw and that is exactly what he did for another individual on this TOPIX
You'll need to consult with a mesh removal specialist like Ramshaw or Petersen, although I don't think an actual study has been done. I know mine was removed after 8 (or maybe it was 9) years, and I've got my life back.

In my experience, most surgeons only know how to place mesh, not remove it, and will tell you that it is very difficult if not impossible to do so, with the typical excuse being that it has since "become a part of your body". I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one.
Richard M Howden

Boulder, CO

#2306 Jun 16, 2009
I had my mesh removed in January of '08. I had a subsequent surgery in May of '08. I am now slowly becomeing sick again because I believe there is still mesh inside me that was not found. I am haveing the same dull nauseating ache, sharp pains, burning/stinging around the surgical site and loss of sleep. I had my surgery in Montrose, Colorado with Dr. Steven Sawyer. He is very good but he even admitted that removal of the mesh does not always get rid of the pain. The amount of damage done by the mesh and then the surgeries to get it out can be really bad. AND because of the way the mesh crumples and twists it can be very difficult to get it all out....as I am finding out now. If you are looking for a surgeon in the Four Corners area I would recommend Dr. Sawyer. Saying that, I believe that Ethicon is directly responsible for what has been done to me.They have known about these problems for years. And I truly believe that most Dr.'s know also but are unwilling to talk about it. I have read the comments that"the patient should make the decision" about the mesh or other treatments. YO! THEY DON"T GIVE YOU THAT CHOICE! I was never asked" Well Mr. Howden..we have this and this and this to fix your hernia. Please pick from menu A,B or C and we will get right on it." I was injured, I was in pain, the Dr. said I would be fixed up and all better. Thats the way it works out here in the real world. You don't get a choice! So now after 2 years and 4 surgeries I am looking at another surgery and God knows what else to try and get to a point that I can feel good again. I'm scared, tired and have lost faith in my government to safe guard us against these products. I have contacted the FDA and Consumer Protection about Ethicon. STILL WAITING!

Since: Jun 09

Buffalo, NY

#2307 Jun 16, 2009
JohnRDavis wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll need to consult with a mesh removal specialist like Ramshaw or Petersen, although I don't think an actual study has been done. I know mine was removed after 8 (or maybe it was 9) years, and I've got my life back.
In my experience, most surgeons only know how to place mesh, not remove it, and will tell you that it is very difficult if not impossible to do so, with the typical excuse being that it has since "become a part of your body". I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that one.
JohnRDavis,
What surgeon removed your mesh? I assume you would recommend them. I have had various forms of mesh for 9 years. None of the surgeries have removed the pain, and I want this Gore-tex mesh out of me. Thanks.
Michelle

Bremerton, WA

#2308 Jun 17, 2009
These meshes, especially the heavyweight meshes can cause problems. Very good experienced lap surgeons can do this

Dr. Bruce Ramshaw, maybe the most famous.
Dr. Kevin Petersen, Las Vegas
Dr. Peter S. Billing Edmonds, WA
Dr. Todd Henniford at the Carolina Medical center
Dr. Shirin Towfigh at Cedar Sinai.

Everyone should be aware that Dr. James Goodyear at the North Penn hernia Institute was using the heavyweight dual layer prolene PHS system.
This caused a lot of problems and he was basically in denial of that.
You can google the internet for phone numbers and even sometimes find email addresses. Unfortunately , the medical community will Pooh Pooh a patient who complains of pain. I don't think a neurectomy is always the answer. Dr. Parviz Amid at the Lichtenstein Institute supposedly was the one who is famous for neurectomies. Actually, this isn't true. Dr. Dellon who heads the Dellon Institute was the one who made neurectomies famous. He actually is not a hernia surgeon. He wants cash upfront, but he does have various surgeons working under the umbrella of the Dellon Institute who can do the neurectomies. I would personally say make a neurectomy the very last resort.

The hernia MD who does not identity himeself, is one of the surgeons from the University of Maryland. I can't remember his name, but he used to have his own website about 10 years ago.

I cannot remember at this time who GDSM went to. He had a plug and patch removed from a doctor in Pennsylvanis.

Since: Mar 09

Vista, CA

#2309 Jun 17, 2009
Dave3 wrote:
<quoted text>
JohnRDavis,
What surgeon removed your mesh? I assume you would recommend them. I have had various forms of mesh for 9 years. None of the surgeries have removed the pain, and I want this Gore-tex mesh out of me. Thanks.
Dr. Petersen removed my mesh on one side (the one that was really bothering me) and did a stitch repair for $6,000. I do recommend him. It doesn't cost anything for an extensive phone consultation, but be sure to write down all your questions ahead of time.
Michelle

Bremerton, WA

#2310 Jun 17, 2009
Dr. David Grischkan uses Gortex mesh to my knowledge. He has a paper dealing with a particular kind of Gortex mesh. He claims it causes less pain than a conventional type repair. But to clarify things, his technique is called a modified Shouldice reapair. It looks like Dr. Kevin Petersen is removing mesh and then stitching things up. Dr. Petersen could be using a McVay repair, etc. So in reality, he would be a "pure stitch" surgeon.

Now, the National Ambulatory Hernia Institute uses a Moran repair. The Moran repair is another type of modified Shouldice. In effect, they place a single layer mesh under the muscle layer (this is not a Kugel patch with a memory ring) and then does an open Shouldice repair on the top. I have seen no testimony from this surgery. To me this would be better than the method Dr. Goodyear uses. I am not endorsing it by any means. I think patients should either stick with a no mesh repair or go to a light weight mesh like Parietex.

Since: Jun 09

Buffalo, NY

#2311 Jun 17, 2009
JohnRDavis wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Petersen removed my mesh on one side (the one that was really bothering me) and did a stitch repair for $6,000. I do recommend him. It doesn't cost anything for an extensive phone consultation, but be sure to write down all your questions ahead of time.
Thanks John,
It is great to hear of a success story. I will be certain to contact him. I've had various types of mesh in me for close to 9 years and I want my life back, as you put it.
Dave

Rapid City, SD

#2312 Jun 17, 2009
Michelle wrote:
Dr. David Grischkan uses Gortex mesh to my knowledge. He has a paper dealing with a particular kind of Gortex mesh. He claims it causes less pain than a conventional type repair. But to clarify things, his technique is called a modified Shouldice reapair. It looks like Dr. Kevin Petersen is removing mesh and then stitching things up. Dr. Petersen could be using a McVay repair, etc. So in reality, he would be a "pure stitch" surgeon.
Now, the National Ambulatory Hernia Institute uses a Moran repair. The Moran repair is another type of modified Shouldice. In effect, they place a single layer mesh under the muscle layer (this is not a Kugel patch with a memory ring) and then does an open Shouldice repair on the top. I have seen no testimony from this surgery. To me this would be better than the method Dr. Goodyear uses. I am not endorsing it by any means. I think patients should either stick with a no mesh repair or go to a light weight mesh like Parietex.
To clarify, the "Moran" repair is probably the same repair as Dr. Grischkan. I really don't think that Shouldice should be attached to this, since this is not Shouldice repair, and there is no way for this to even to be called a modified Shouldice. A Shouldice brings together very specific layers of the inguinal floor. If you stitch a mesh behind the floor, there is no way you can recreate this, other than simply just closing the floor. It may work, but the major disadvantage is that you have burned both ends so to speak if you develop a recurrence. It's an anterior approach placing mesh in the preperitoneal space. With recurrence, a laparoscopic approach will be more difficult since you have to deal with mesh, and an anterior approach will go through all the scar tissue from the original surgery. Same disadvantage for a Kugel, plug, and PHS repair. McVay has much higher recurrence rate, but is technically easier to do than a Shouldice. If you want a hernia repair without mesh, contact the Shouldice clinic. If you want a mesh repair, go for the classic Lichtenstein tension free repair, or laparoscopic repair (redo, bilateral, or need to return to activity sooner)
Douglas

Seattle, WA

#2313 Jun 17, 2009
Can somebody update us on what Dr. Kugel is doing? Before his lawsuit, I have heard all of the problems were caused by a brittle memory ring. This memory ring can break apart and "wander" into various organs and cause problems. I did a google search several months ago discovered that Dr. Kugel is indeed a major speaker at events like the Australian Hernia Society, various European and Asian Hernia Societies as well as the American Hernia Society. Could it be that his new Kugel patches utilize a nitonol memory ring? I cannot find much info about these devices.
Dave

Rapid City, SD

#2314 Jun 17, 2009
Douglas wrote:
Can somebody update us on what Dr. Kugel is doing? Before his lawsuit, I have heard all of the problems were caused by a brittle memory ring. This memory ring can break apart and "wander" into various organs and cause problems. I did a google search several months ago discovered that Dr. Kugel is indeed a major speaker at events like the Australian Hernia Society, various European and Asian Hernia Societies as well as the American Hernia Society. Could it be that his new Kugel patches utilize a nitonol memory ring? I cannot find much info about these devices.
The nitonol ring patch was developed in Minnesota. Completely different than Dr. Kugel's patch. Dr. Kugel's patch was developed by Bard. Hard to blame Dr. Kugel for the patch. The majority of the patients that had this placed have done just fine. An extremely small minority had problems from the ring fracturing, but this set off a panic.
Wolf99

AOL

#2315 Jun 18, 2009
Thursday 06/18/09, Good morning everyone {including peanuts}. Lookin for something ??? Type in Hernia Mesh Material then hit search, some good site's. check this one out Characterization of Explanted Hernia Meshes From Human: site address; clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00484887 Check out the date's on these reports..... See ya!!!!!! Good day
Michelle

Bremerton, WA

#2316 Jun 18, 2009
Some thoughts

I think some people are confusing meshes used for inguinal hernias vs. other types of hernias.

My second thought is that this dual layer mesh that doctor Goodyear uses is totally unnecessary. Either a single open mesh or a laparoscopic mesh will work just fine. I think in one way or the other, Dr. Goodyear and the hernia MD have some connection with Ethicon.

Dr. Goodyear nor the Hernia MD will not discuss alternative meshes. If they do, it is usually in a negative light. This is unethical.
Wolf99

AOL

#2317 Jun 19, 2009
Michelle wrote:
Some thoughts
I think some people are confusing meshes used for inguinal hernias vs. other types of hernias.
My second thought is that this dual layer mesh that doctor Goodyear uses is totally unnecessary. Either a single open mesh or a laparoscopic mesh will work just fine. I think in one way or the other, Dr. Goodyear and the hernia MD have some connection with Ethicon.
Dr. Goodyear nor the Hernia MD will not discuss alternative meshes. If they do, it is usually in a negative light. This is unethical.
Thanks for clearing the air on meshes and how they are applyed, i myself don't have mesh yet, but after reading all these site's I tend to not want this mess in me. One comment I also go to N.Penn site , Some surgeons/doctors may have contracts to use a certain product, I was told this back in Florida. Some how tied to there insurance???????? You might come right out and ask on their web site Board.... I know before I go in to have a recurrent V-Hernia fix I want know everything their is about the method patch if used etc......... I'm not gonig in blind or deaf ,I don't get straight out answer's I wouldn't give him/her my business.....I feel ONe surgeon screwed up once don't need another!!!!!! I would like health concerns to become first hand over the greenback's of the ole might $$$$$$$.
Wolf99

AOL

#2318 Jun 19, 2009
How does a surgeon know what patch and suture technique is right for each person?? With so many different meshes, sutures each persons body chemistry different just how does a surgeon know if a person's body is going to reject the mesh?Is it a game of what ever happens happens?? Does mesh and sutures have any kind of weight mass on it,after it desolves in a person,and the tissue knits it self back together. Here I'm thinking fisher's use different size fish line for different types of fishing, Women use different size thread and neddles for the different weight of material when they sewn or darn mend clothing so does this work the same way on people?? No two people are the same so why would one patch fit all??? What was or is the purpose of teflon on some of the patches. The more I read these postings the more I will stay away from these products. They seem to be a poison to the body, with so many rejecting them.??"s Does it make a difference in the family genes rather a family tree on the health is of no problems; then a family who has a history of allergies or diabetic ,which effects the immune system, how does a surgeon, knowing this patient histoy, does he/she use the same mesh on each patient???Or is there a different type mesh for different people.
Dave

Rapid City, SD

#2319 Jun 19, 2009
Wolf99 wrote:
How does a surgeon know what patch and suture technique is right for each person?? With so many different meshes, sutures each persons body chemistry different just how does a surgeon know if a person's body is going to reject the mesh?Is it a game of what ever happens happens?? Does mesh and sutures have any kind of weight mass on it,after it desolves in a person,and the tissue knits it self back together. Here I'm thinking fisher's use different size fish line for different types of fishing, Women use different size thread and neddles for the different weight of material when they sewn or darn mend clothing so does this work the same way on people?? No two people are the same so why would one patch fit all??? What was or is the purpose of teflon on some of the patches. The more I read these postings the more I will stay away from these products. They seem to be a poison to the body, with so many rejecting them.??"s Does it make a difference in the family genes rather a family tree on the health is of no problems; then a family who has a history of allergies or diabetic ,which effects the immune system, how does a surgeon, knowing this patient histoy, does he/she use the same mesh on each patient???Or is there a different type mesh for different people.
First of all, the majority of patients never have any issues with mesh. You see a concentrated sample of patients who have had issues on this site. Second from reading the blogs, you are never sure if the reason they are having pain is truly from the mesh, or complications from the mesh. If you want to read an interesting article look for an article discussing hernia repair for patients with workers compensation. Yesterday I operated on a woman with recurrent ventral hernia who had 6 prior repairs. Her pain was not from the mesh, but from the two recurrent hernias she had adjacent to her prior repairs. The previous surgeon placed to small piece mesh for repair. I removed three to four layers of mesh. Really looks like scar tissue, not mesh when you explant it. Point being is that I don't think you can look at mesh as "poison", and that all mesh can work to some extent. Some surgeons need to also consider long term affects of their repairs, and not just what they consider technically easy. Example is the plug and patch. Easiest way to repair a hernia, but the plug can really cause some problems, especially with recurrent hernias since they now become so much more difficult to fix.
Norton

United States

#2320 Jun 19, 2009
For Dave,

The hernia MD says Parietex is the only mesh known to create adhesions over time. Can you please comment: Here is his remarks

Re: Hernia M.D. RE:Mesh???
June 18 2009, 9:40 PM

Seth,
There is NO evidence that parietex shrinks less than UltraPro in humans. It is documented that parietex is the only mesh on the market where adhesions have been shown to increase over time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Annetta South Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 29 min Joen 18,739
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of the Gene... (Oct '10) 1 hr stupid people 375
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 1 hr stupid people 682
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 3 hr fubar 590
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 12 hr Fossilfartz 22,728
what happened to all the original labare dancer... (Jun '10) Mon Kim 149
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Sep 26 Fossilfarts 802

Annetta South Jobs

Annetta South People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Annetta South News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Annetta South

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]