McDowell officials propose consolidation of three county schools

School officials in McDowell County have proposed closing three county elementary schools and combining them into a single, consolidated school. Full Story

“HobertC The1Great AwesomeOne ”

Since: Apr 08

Welch WV

#1 Feb 6, 2012
This is the most craziest thing the McDowell County BOE and Jim Brown and WV SBA could do!!! Many parents wouldn't want this to happen... Maybe build 2 new schools for the area or county but not one...
Derek

Bluefield, WV

#2 Feb 7, 2012
Ugh, here we go again...
1. Bad idea. The board is constantly complaining about not having enough schools for sports recreation, yet they want to take three schools out of the ballpark.
2. Bad idea.(again) The travel times between Welch, Anawalt and Fall River are time consuming. Unless the board decides on a central area,(unlikely, considering everything here is owned by the mines,)it will be hard for elementary children to travel those mountain roads every day.
3. Wheres the money actually going to come from to build the school?
just me

High Point, NC

#3 Feb 7, 2012
Why not just remodel Anawalt and the other schools and keep them open. I think it time to stand up amd save these schools. Anawalt school has so much history in it and all of the kids that went there want to keep it open. Send some of the kids from Gary and area to Anawalt instead of makeing our kids to do all of the traveling.The olders ones already have to go to mt view. I wish I was there as one of those kids that used to go to Anawalt to help keep Anawalt open.
So don't build remodel what we have.
Keep Anawalt School Open

Bluefield, WV

#4 Feb 17, 2012
Derek wrote:
Ugh, here we go again...
1. Bad idea. The board is constantly complaining about not having enough schools for sports recreation, yet they want to take three schools out of the ballpark.
2. Bad idea.(again) The travel times between Welch, Anawalt and Fall River are time consuming. Unless the board decides on a central area,(unlikely, considering everything here is owned by the mines,)it will be hard for elementary children to travel those mountain roads every day.
3. Wheres the money actually going to come from to build the school?
I would assume the money will come in a form of a bond or levy agreement that we as citizens in these areas are supposed to have a vote on, if we want those to pass. Really what it comes down to is our tax dollars will be the ones to fund these projects. After the 2001 floods, the state and the federal government did a study to determine which towns or cities had what it took to "survive' on its own. Only a few in the southwest part of WV passed FEMA's standards of approval. In McDowell Co., the only city that made the list was Welch. Others included Pineville, Oceana, Logan, and so forth. The Army Corps of Engineers proposed to relocate all other people to Mountian Top communities like what is going on slowly in the Logan County area. They need to wake up and realize that they are slowly making our communities poorer with every step they take. They make fun of the fact we are "20 years behind times" in these areas. But they weren't complaining 50 years ago when they were using the coal miners and thier families like generational slaves to build up Beckley, Charleston, Morgantown, Parkersburg ect. Now they are ahead of the times up there and then tell us we need to get with the game or else. Its damn right unconstitutional what they have done to us down here. They talk about how bad the government is in debt and sqwaling about what to do. Heck, our part of the state has never came out of the first major ression that hit the area many years ago. Washington cries over how to survive, let them come down to Mcdowell Co and see how we make ends meet. Cornbread and beans, hard work, and bad luck is what we have to look foward too, But we dont cry. All we want is to leave what works for us alone. Including our small schools that produce some of the smartest kids in the area these days. Cramming them all together in a City in a Building is not making or kids smarter, its pushing them farther away from thier heritage and since of comfort and individuality. Removing the since of family among friends that they will remember for a lifetime. Keep Anawalt open for the sake of what they have left to remember thier childhood by. As well as the other schools. I guess as some get older they forget where they were raised. Your home will always be where your heart is!
Change is needed

Bluefield, WV

#5 Feb 17, 2012
The kids at Anawalt deserve a new school. Anawalt Elementary needs to be torn down. Some rooms never get over 50 degrees while others are 80 to 90 degrees. Take a look at some of the new schools that have been built and I think you will agree.

Give the Anawalt kids the same chance to be in a new building. I would think you guys would be behind this 100 percent.
Parent

Bluefield, WV

#6 Feb 17, 2012
My child is already on the bus 50 minutes in the morning and 50 in the afternoon. Now if they have to ride to Mount View it will be much longer. I'd like to see L'il Boy Brown ride a bus twice a day for an hour seven days a week. He doesn't care about our children. All he's doing is using McDowell county as a stepping stone to a higher position just like our last Superintendent did. She's working in Charleston at a much higher paying job
Home Teacher

Northfork, WV

#7 Feb 22, 2012
Mr_h wrote:
This is the most craziest thing the McDowell County BOE and Jim Brown and WV SBA could do!!! Many parents wouldn't want this to happen... Maybe build 2 new schools for the area or county but not one...
Children would get a better education at home, From their parent's. About 67% of kids that attend McDowell County schools can't read above the sixth grade level.
Teacher

Princeton, WV

#8 Feb 23, 2012
Home Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>Children would get a better education at home, From their parent's. About 67% of kids that attend McDowell County schools can't read above the sixth grade level.
I believe this.I don't know about your figure of 67%, but I know it's high.
B_-JF

New Richmond, WV

#9 Mar 14, 2012
I have a 19 year old son and I am glad he is out of school. He has gone to Welch Elem., Gary, Mt. View, and vocational. If he could have gone to just gary he would have been much better prepared for the world than going to all of these schools.6293
SBA Money

Clay, WV

#10 Mar 14, 2012
The money for the school would be from SBA grants a bond or levy will never pass here, esp. since the Iaeger-Big Creek area will have all new schools once Iaeger Elem. is built, therefore, they would not vote for it. What should have happened is the Gary Anawalt parents should have got together when they sent those Gary kids to Welch and pleaded for a school. As it is though, Gary kids are considered part of Welch now so they probably wouldn't even consider those kids when looking at building a new school just for Anawalt. And we know that's not happening with that low of an enrollment. But I agree they should have built 2 new elem. schools: Gary Anawalt, and Welch Fall River. But the SBA won't give enough money for two schools.
1 post removed
lol

United States

#12 Aug 20, 2012
SBA Money wrote:
The money for the school would be from SBA grants a bond or levy will never pass here, esp. since the Iaeger-Big Creek area will have all new schools once Iaeger Elem. is built, therefore, they would not vote for it. What should have happened is the Gary Anawalt parents should have got together when they sent those Gary kids to Welch and pleaded for a school. As it is though, Gary kids are considered part of Welch now so they probably wouldn't even consider those kids when looking at building a new school just for Anawalt. And we know that's not happening with that low of an enrollment. But I agree they should have built 2 new elem. schools: Gary Anawalt, and Welch Fall River. But the SBA won't give enough money for two schools.
um um mr. Teacher you was wrong
1 post removed

“4 Pounds Of Whoop Azz”

Since: May 12

Chihuahua, Mexico

#14 Aug 22, 2012
tigermermaid wrote:
Lol!
I love the way your jowls jiggle when you LOL. Reminds me of a blood-hound I once knew.
1 post removed

“4 Pounds Of Whoop Azz”

Since: May 12

Chihuahua, Mexico

#16 Aug 22, 2012
tigermermaid wrote:
<quoted text>
AND STILL ANOTHER SMELLY SOCK
Hi sundog.
But I am not a sock. I am the future object of your desire, my little leather faced chew toy of love.
1 post removed

“4 Pounds Of Whoop Azz”

Since: May 12

Chihuahua, Mexico

#18 Aug 22, 2012
tigermermaid wrote:
<quoted text>Hi sundog
No, it is me, Raymundo, expressing my undying love for you, my leetle leather faced chew toy.
1 post removed

“Take Me Daily”

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#20 Aug 22, 2012
tigermermaid wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever, Sundog.
You do know that "namaste" is Hindu for "I like to eat boogers", don't you?

I think ritalin helps with that too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Anawalt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Welch Hangout (Jan '13) 22 min Sundog512 19,137
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 34 min Sweepyface 4,065
Word assocation (Sep '07) 6 hr Analog man 15,782
watch out for the dope heads 11 hr heartless bums 1
The Alphabet Game (Dec '11) 12 hr _Zoey_ 1,765
"???tion" - word game (May '10) 13 hr Crazy Jae 36
Is there really a gym on rt 52? 19 hr Mr all-around 3
Anawalt Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Anawalt People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Anawalt News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Anawalt

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:01 am PST

NBC Sports10:01AM
Panthers' Newton practicing 8 days after crash - NBC Sports
NBC Sports11:37 AM
Panthers playing wait-and-see with Cam Newton
Yahoo! Sports12:11 PM
Cam Newton a surprise performer in Panthers practice
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick