Police ticketing speeders on Highway 111

Nov 4, 2012 Full story: Herald-Citizen 63

Cookeville Police officer Ryan Moore stops a car for speeding on Hwy 111. The CPD is cracking down on speeding on 111 and will be issuing citations to those who get caught.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#1 Nov 4, 2012
Who is it that is lying about safe speeds on SR 111? The design documents and environmental impact statement prepared by TDOT and approved by the FHWA indicate that SR 111 is a "Class A Expressway" with a safe speed of 70 mph. This fact is why the state was allowed to acquire the maximum width of right/of/way for every single mile, including through Cookeville, and build a divided highway with wide interstate type median. Now, someone is claiming that driving faster than 55 mph in some city sections is "very dangerous". 55 mph is the same limit for most two-lane country roads. But for the most part, SR 111 has exit and entrance ramps just like an interstate where the speed limit is 70mph. There are some stop sign situations at entrances onto SR 111 such as the I-40/SR 111 exit ramps and a couple of local roads. If these are the justification for lower speed limits, how were they ever allowed to be built? And if it was known from the start that they would be allowed, thereby requiring(?) a lower speed limit, then why were these sections of SR 111 built to 70 mph expressway conditions at a much higher cost and environmental impact. Either someone in TDOT and FHWA made huge errors in the design and construction of this road, or we are being lied to about the safety of the road and the speed limit required to safely travel SR 111 through Cookeville. Which is it?
Redundant Rodent

Cookeville, TN

#2 Nov 4, 2012
What am I missing here? Law enforcement ticketing speeders. Front page news? Isn't that their job?
FACTSFTW

Cookeville, TN

#3 Nov 4, 2012
HEY IT'S THE PUTNAM WAY OUT HERE....."Policing for profit" ;-)
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#4 Nov 4, 2012
Redundant Rodent wrote:
What am I missing here? Law enforcement ticketing speeders. Front page news? Isn't that their job?
You're obviously missing THE WHOLE POINT, which is, are the people getting all of these tickets driving unsafely as the citation indicates, or are they merely violating an arbitrary speed limit which suits someone like the City of Cookeville but has no real justification whatsoever. For example, coming from Sparta on SR 111, the speed limit drops way down at the Cookeville City limits although there is no physical change in the highway or other justification. THE POINT IS, should the Cookeville cops be writing tickets on any of the other many roads that are in fact dangerous when someone goes 65mph as opposed to SR 111? Just putting up a sign with a speed limit does not make it right.

You can go back to sleep now.
in the know

Cookeville, TN

#5 Nov 4, 2012
I agree with Tolerant 100%!
Wizard

Cookeville, TN

#6 Nov 4, 2012
Tolerant wrote:
<quoted text>
You're obviously missing THE WHOLE POINT, which is, are the people getting all of these tickets driving unsafely as the citation indicates, or are they merely violating an arbitrary speed limit which suits someone like the City of Cookeville but has no real justification whatsoever. For example, coming from Sparta on SR 111, the speed limit drops way down at the Cookeville City limits although there is no physical change in the highway or other justification. THE POINT IS, should the Cookeville cops be writing tickets on any of the other many roads that are in fact dangerous when someone goes 65mph as opposed to SR 111? Just putting up a sign with a speed limit does not make it right.
You can go back to sleep now.
Boy how old are you? You donít make much sense on here
Simple

Cookeville, TN

#7 Nov 4, 2012
It's simple people. Read the signs, follow the rules, and you don't get tickets. Can it get any easier???? It is what it is.
FACTSFTW

Cookeville, TN

#8 Nov 4, 2012
He's referring to the "design and plans" that TDOT / STATE had in mind when they built these routes... They didn't expect backwood cops to step in and change these speeds to suit their agendas so they could have more chances of getting their quotas met each month by reducing the speed to 50MPH... I understand I mean it's what 70MPH off I-40 safe... then I111 down to 50 quick??... Also I wonder why do they EVEN Care about the interstates? Isn't that something for the "STATE TROOPERS" instead of these bumpkin county cops and city jockeys? Oh duh that's right they need the "PROFIT".
teddy bonkers

Cookeville, TN

#9 Nov 4, 2012
FACTSFTW wrote:
He's referring to the "design and plans" that TDOT / STATE had in mind when they built these routes... They didn't expect backwood cops to step in and change these speeds to suit their agendas so they could have more chances of getting their quotas met each month by reducing the speed to 50MPH... I understand I mean it's what 70MPH off I-40 safe... then I111 down to 50 quick??... Also I wonder why do they EVEN Care about the interstates? Isn't that something for the "STATE TROOPERS" instead of these bumpkin county cops and city jockeys? Oh duh that's right they need the "PROFIT".
I would rather see the city cops writing the tickets then the state. Cityís tickets go in to our city funds, and not as costly to the speeder.
IMHO

Livingston, TN

#10 Nov 4, 2012
Ummm, if you read the article, it plainly says that thay caught people doing in excess of 85 MPH. HELLO!!? Are you listening? That's WAAAY faster than 70MPH, dontcha think?
point taken

United States

#11 Nov 4, 2012
And people who drive tthat fast should be ticketed. However I bet ya most of them were going 70 past the Jefferson/Cookeville exit where the speed limit drops from 70 to 65 to 55 in just over a quarter mile stretch. I think that would be more unsafe with people tryin to slow down within that distance and just one other person not paying attention rear ends em going 70. Then after 40 exit its 65 jusr before you get to the next city exit, again only to go way down to 45 really quickly. I get quinland, major blind spot and heavy congestion. But if so worried about the speed limits and safety why not keep it the same through out? Cause of that I agree with tolerant.
cut it

Cookeville, TN

#12 Nov 4, 2012
do not speed and quit whining
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#13 Nov 4, 2012
IMHO wrote:
Ummm, if you read the article, it plainly says that thay caught people doing in excess of 85 MPH. HELLO!!? Are you listening? That's WAAAY faster than 70MPH, dontcha think?
HELLO!!! Are you an idiot???? Do you honestly not realize that most of the tickets are written to people going under 70 mph????????? 66 mph in a 55 mph zone gets you a big citation since it's more than 10 mph over the limit. Is 66 mph dangerous on a highway designed for 70????? They threw out the number for the fastest one they stopped and you gobbled it up!!!!!!!
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#14 Nov 4, 2012
Wizard wrote:
<quoted text>Boy how old are you? You donít make much sense on here
Sorry it's so complex for you. Maybe you can get someone at the nursing home to explain it to you.
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#15 Nov 4, 2012
Simple wrote:
It's simple people. Read the signs, follow the rules, and you don't get tickets. Can it get any easier???? It is what it is.
That's why we have all the crap going on around here that we do. No one cares. Just do as your told, little man. Don't ask questions. You can't fight city hall.
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#16 Nov 4, 2012
cut it wrote:
do not speed and quit whining
See comment above. Ditto to you too.
Meyer

Cookeville, TN

#17 Nov 4, 2012
Tolerant wrote:
<quoted text>
HELLO!!! Are you an idiot???? Do you honestly not realize that most of the tickets are written to people going under 70 mph????????? 66 mph in a 55 mph zone gets you a big citation since it's more than 10 mph over the limit. Is 66 mph dangerous on a highway designed for 70????? They threw out the number for the fastest one they stopped and you gobbled it up!!!!!!!
It's posted plain as day. If you're so clueless that you can't pay attention to the signs, you deserve to be ticketed.
Tolerant

Cookeville, TN

#18 Nov 4, 2012
Meyer wrote:
<quoted text> It's posted plain as day. If you're so clueless that you can't pay attention to the signs, you deserve to be ticketed.
So if they arbitrarily pick a speed limit like 20 mph, that's OK with you and you're simply going to "pay attention to the signs" and go about your business without saying a word??? Move on little sheep!!!!
idiot

Cookeville, TN

#19 Nov 5, 2012
Tolerant wrote:
Who is it that is lying about safe speeds on SR 111? The design documents and environmental impact statement prepared by TDOT and approved by the FHWA indicate that SR 111 is a "Class A Expressway" with a safe speed of 70 mph. This fact is why the state was allowed to acquire the maximum width of right/of/way for every single mile, including through Cookeville, and build a divided highway with wide interstate type median. Now, someone is claiming that driving faster than 55 mph in some city sections is "very dangerous". 55 mph is the same limit for most two-lane country roads. But for the most part, SR 111 has exit and entrance ramps just like an interstate where the speed limit is 70mph. There are some stop sign situations at entrances onto SR 111 such as the I-40/SR 111 exit ramps and a couple of local roads. If these are the justification for lower speed limits, how were they ever allowed to be built? And if it was known from the start that they would be allowed, thereby requiring(?) a lower speed limit, then why were these sections of SR 111 built to 70 mph expressway conditions at a much higher cost and environmental impact. Either someone in TDOT and FHWA made huge errors in the design and construction of this road, or we are being lied to about the safety of the road and the speed limit required to safely travel SR 111 through Cookeville. Which is it?
They're allowed to set whatever speed the want for any roadway up to the "safe speed limit." There is no requirement that the speed they set must equal that which was deemed the safest maximum.
Sue

Cookeville, TN

#20 Nov 5, 2012
Police are our friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Algood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School (Sep '09) 12 min anomynomus 3
School (Oct '09) 16 min anomynomus 3
Give me mine or I'll take it. 1 hr African 7
Leo's spring street 1 hr Shouldvecouldve 2
Seeking a sweet and beautiful lady for long-term 1 hr Ohmemyyy 10
Rah services. 1 hr Ohmemyyy 7
flys gas station 2 hr Who knows 2
Algood Dating
Find my Match

Algood People Search