Bicyclist dies in North Lake Shore Drive crash

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A bicyclist was struck and killed by a vehicle Thursday evening on Lake Shore Drive on Chicago's North Side, authorities said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 214 Comments Last updated Aug 12, 2008
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Matt

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 31, 2008
I feel for the guy who died, but are bikes even allowed on Lake Shore Drive?
Yo Yo Yo Make It Happen

Oak Park, IL

#2 Jul 31, 2008
Bicycles on LSD? Are there bike lanes on LSD? I don't remember any.... please more to this story.....I rode my bike on I-57 years ago but it was only for a couple miles...... not fun.
RIP

Chicago, IL

#3 Jul 31, 2008
FYI, the street rides along LSD, it's practically Sheridan. Prayers to the family.
biker

Chicago, IL

#5 Jul 31, 2008
Yo Yo Yo Make It Happen wrote:
Bicycles on LSD? Are there bike lanes on LSD? I don't remember any.... please more to this story.....I rode my bike on I-57 years ago but it was only for a couple miles...... not fun.
I rode by the scene on my way home. Looks like he was hit on Marine drive there heading northbound and knocked over the rail into southbound LSD traffic.
925eer

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 31, 2008
That's the Inner Drive, not Marine, at 3300. I saw the aftermath, so I'm not sure where the cyclist was exactly when he was hit. It's hard to believe he'd be on the Outer Drive.
unanamous

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 31, 2008
It sounds like he was trying to avoid something or someone, I've heard of "Get your kicks on Route 66" but not on Lakeshore drive.

Since: Jun 08

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 31, 2008
I live on LSD and we can never figure out why there are bikes tooling down the "Inner Drive" when there is an 18 mile bike path about 1/2 block to the east.
bike crash

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 31, 2008
i am a 27 year old medical student who was driving on inner lake shore drive and looked to my right and saw all these cars lined up with a guy in the middle and people all around him i stopped my car put my hazard lights on and ran towards the scene cars were at a dead stop. so i ran towards oncoming traffic on LSD and arrived to the scene seconds after the crash. they young man was laying on his stomach with his neck twisted back staring me right in the face blood coming out of his ears and nose. a man who was standing above the victims body was on the phone with 911 at this point. i bent down asked him to blink if he could hear me, no response, reached for his pulse, nothing. looked up at the guy with the phone and he tells me hes gone man, hes dead. i dont know how this man ended up in the middle lane but i overheard that a cab driver hit him. the moral is be careful drive safe you are only saving 2 minutes by speeding. my prayers are with this mans family and friends.
Matthew

Morton Grove, IL

#14 Jul 31, 2008
I unfortunately drove past the aftermath before the first responders got on the scene, and it was horrific. My thoughts are with this man's family tonight.
brian

Chicago, IL

#15 Jul 31, 2008
Roandro wrote:
I live on LSD and we can never figure out why there are bikes tooling down the "Inner Drive" when there is an 18 mile bike path about 1/2 block to the east.
What does that have to do with anything? Why drive a car on the inner drive when the real drive is 25 feet away? Why drive on I-290 when you could just drive on the access streets right next to it?

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#16 Jul 31, 2008
bike crash wrote:
i am a 27 year old medical student who was driving on inner lake shore drive and looked to my right and saw all these cars lined up with a guy in the middle and people all around him i stopped my car put my hazard lights on and ran towards the scene cars were at a dead stop. so i ran towards oncoming traffic on LSD and arrived to the scene seconds after the crash. they young man was laying on his stomach with his neck twisted back staring me right in the face blood coming out of his ears and nose. a man who was standing above the victims body was on the phone with 911 at this point. i bent down asked him to blink if he could hear me, no response, reached for his pulse, nothing. looked up at the guy with the phone and he tells me hes gone man, hes dead. i dont know how this man ended up in the middle lane but i overheard that a cab driver hit him. the moral is be careful drive safe you are only saving 2 minutes by speeding. my prayers are with this mans family and friends.
So I live on LSD and it's not definite who hit him. If it was a cab was the cab on LSD or Inner LSD? That has a lot of bearing on your alleged speed comment. If the cab hit him on LSD then the cab can drive 40mph legally like any car and if he flipped over from Inner LSD there is no way a car can stop fast enough going southbound to avoid. Now if the cab hit him on Inner LSD that's a different story.

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 31, 2008
brian wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with anything? Why drive a car on the inner drive when the real drive is 25 feet away? Why drive on I-290 when you could just drive on the access streets right next to it?
How about access to residences? People live on Inner LSD and the side streets.

Since: Jul 08

Chicago, IL

#19 Jul 31, 2008
As greater numbers of people turn to bicycles for transportation around Chicago these types of accidents are bound to increase. The city is becoming more bike friendly every year, with devoted bike lanes, etc. However much still needs to be done to educate both the biking and driving public to watch out for one another. I hope this story and others like it give people pause, cause people to think when they get behind the handlebars and the wheel and to watch out for and respect each other.

My thoughts go out to this man's family and friends.
Steve

Chicago, IL

#20 Jul 31, 2008
unanamous wrote:
It sounds like he was trying to avoid something or someone, I've heard of "Get your kicks on Route 66" but not on Lakeshore drive.
???????? The most arbitrary observation of the evening. What on earth makes you think that???
Mary

Palos Hills, IL

#21 Jul 31, 2008
Yeah, it's fun to make wise and critique the events surrounding this guy's demise from your anoymous armchair, isn't it? Regardless of the circumstances, someone is likely to miss him after this event.

I find it helpful to always think of the victim as someone who could have been my friend or relative and it pretty much makes the cynical feelings go away. Try it.
will

Chicago, IL

#23 Jul 31, 2008
why was a biker and by biker.. i don't mean motorcycle.. on LSD unless they were talking about inner LSD...
brian

Chicago, IL

#24 Jul 31, 2008
Steve321 wrote:
<quoted text>
How about access to residences? People live on Inner LSD and the side streets.
That is exactly what I mean. The guy was talking as if the existence of a bike lane means all bikes should be on it.
will

Chicago, IL

#25 Jul 31, 2008
"I know that this is a rather informal area for one to render and opinion, but basic grammar and punctuation is expected. "

did you mean to say 'for one to render AN opinion'???

that's the pot calling the kettle black. i don't think your comments were very welcoming to the blog.. he's said, he is a medical student... not an actual doctor... perhaps he is in a state of shock.. as this accident just happened earlier today..
George

Chicago, IL

#27 Jul 31, 2008
Ella from Hinsdale,

You have some nerve, commenting on the original poster's grammar without adding to the conversation.

He is the only person adding any substantive information to this conversation, and there is no legitimate reason to question his story. I am, of course, thankful that he took the time to offer aid (as he claims) and that he checked in here to report this, long before the official news story can actually report this information.

Please, instead of looking for a reason to knock other people take a minute to consider what your motivations behind this post were. I am guessing that you are nothing but a bored housewife from the 'burbs that has nothing else to do other than idly waste time on these forums.
Ella wrote:
<quoted text> I have to comment on this only because I cannot believe you are indeed a medical student. I know that this is a rather informal area for one to render and opinion, but basic grammar and punctuation is expected. The fact that you do not know how to capitalize or use possessive apostrophes is dispicable. Please let us know what school you are attending, so we know not to seek out a physician from that school. You obviously don't have to know how to read and write to get in.
My prayers are with the family of this deceased man.
Stephanie

Chicago, IL

#28 Jul 31, 2008
Obviously, after reading this initial report, many, many questions remain. That said, it'd be in your best interests to not pass judgment or make ASSumptions.

Rather, this evening, someone lost a son and a friend--possibly a husband and father, too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 24 min wojar 177,414
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 26 min J RULES 69,000
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots??? 48 min joey 4
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide 1 hr ABSOLUTELYjigsWON 3
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr 40ish 4,673
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr danetoo 68,381
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr D-U-H 49,539
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr Yeah 1,100,625
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 11 hr edogxxx 97,938
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search