Romney flunks a religious test

Full story: Chicago Tribune

M itt Romney is worried about religious intolerance. He fears religious and nonreligious people will unite to punish him because of his Mormon faith.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of142
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
CTurner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

The people Romney is pandering to are applying a test of "religious correctness." He's going to fail that test. Romney can stand up and perform his "I'm a bigot, too" act all he wants, but the religious right regard Mormonism as strange and non-Christian.
Tom

South Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but Mormonism is "strange and non-Christian" to most non-Mormons, not just to "the religious right."
After having studied various religions out of curiosity over the years, my conclusion is that they all have an aura of "strange" about them.
Jack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

"'We need to have a person of faith lead the country,' he said in February, which sounds like a religious test to me."

Nonsense, a test would be "We need to have a test so that a person of faith will lead the country."
geoffrey Finch

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Your comments about religion and freedom notwithstanding, you do US history an injustice if you do not add to the discussion the line of philosophical and religious thinking that traces our experiment in republican government and rule of law back through the Scottish reformation (Locke & Rutherford), which was profoundly rooted in Protestant theology. I don't agree with Gov. Romney on much, but I think it is unfair that his Mormon faith has become the focus of his campaign rather than his character, platform and accomplishments. You pundits in the media have too long ignored or glossed over a deep debt our foundational documents owe to not just any religion but Protestant reformation theology in particular, which is what I think the good Governor was referring to.
Dane Thomas

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

This articles is incoherent and in no way makes any strong arguments against why Mitt Romney would not make one of the best Presidents that this country ever saw.
Denton

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

You are incorrect in saying the Founding Fathers mad eno reference to G-d, as can be seen in not only the Articles of Confederation (the constitution built upon that) and the Declaration of Independance. Furthermore, if you care to read their thoughts you will see that they expected this to be a Christian nation. John Jay, co-author of the Federalist Papers and first chief justice to the USSC said it is our duty to elect Christian leaders to rule this Christian nation.
It is only through revisionist history for nefarious reasons have those anti-Christians muddied the waters on this and many other issues.
Joyce

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

You are obviously an individual who has no idea what makes this country great nor who would best lead it to safety and security for all - Mr. Romney has the experience, has led the family life and articluates his message clearly and succintly to all people. Shame on oyu and all others who even consider his faith when looking at the man - he has done nothing to inducate that he is anything but good and focused and capable in his personal life and his business life - God knows we certainly need that type of role model to get this country back on the road to strength and greatness.
Jacki

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Poorly written. You missed the whole point of the speech. Romney was saying that a national leader needs to live by a religion and faith, but which religion they live by should not become a public debate. Its quite simple, this article over confuses the point. Romney was not trying to merge the government with religion, he was speaking of the importance of its leaders to be faithful men of morals. I also find it ironic that the author cites Germany as a free religious democracy, in the wake of Germany trying to ban scientology. Overall, just another romney bashing article by an angry liberal who would rather have a godless Clinton in office turning the whitehouse into a sex party.
Jack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

CTurner wrote:
...the religious right regard Mormonism as strange and non-Christian.
Not all on the religious right think that way. Every Sunday, at communion, there is a prayer over the bread in the LDS service: "O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen"
Jesse

Placerville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Steve Chapman works and gets paid to try and stir up controversy. I really don't believe that he believes what he writes. It sounds like he's in bed with the "no God in america" crowd. I agree 100% with Mitt Romney's speech.
Harry Kuczak

Walkerton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Mitt Romney is running as a presidencial candidate in politics and why anyone would want him to suddenly become a presidencial missionary is beyond me. He is a politician and has proven himself as a good (an even honourable... surprise!) politician in his past political endevours. So, judge him on his political experience and let him prove his value in the political arena... and let the Mormon Church prove there own worth in the religious arena. Want to learn about Mormons? Find a Missionary !!!
I see a man with religious convictions, willing to lead the country acording to the political will of the nation... as an elected official should. If something like abortion issues arise, all will vote according to their beliefs and so will he... but he has to rule according to the majority vote, and he has said he would. Why anyone thinks that is against his religion has no idea what democracy is all about.
Get with the politician, not the religion.
Jake

Kaysville, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Wow...just a perfect example of taking things out of context. This article is chuck full of "Romney thinks...blah, blah" How do you know what he is thinking? Ask him if you want to know. Too bad people can't leave the Mormonism thing alone. It is interesting people invest so much time into attacking the Mormon religion...
Chicago wind

Mcminnville, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

You're an absolute moron!'Nuf said!
Brigham Young

Midway, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Brother Romney darn well better take his orders from Salt Lake, or he's out!!
Jesse

Placerville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Mitt Romney did not explain his strange Mormon faith to us. This is the lame theme that I'm hearing throughout blogs. His speech was not attempting to explain mormonism and why you should believe it, but rather the role of having any faith in america.9453
Frank Bolin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Remember when Pat Robertson run in the presidential primaries? Some think of a heavenly election ballet if ole huckabee and romney won the White House for the NEOCONS, ultra cons and conservatives with president and vice president. Like Bush Jr. saying GOD talks to him about what he is doing, can your imagine them 2 trying to make a decision without talking to GOD first? I'm sorry Nation but, would you please hold? As many wives as Mormans have, who would be first ladies of Romney?
Steve Miller

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Have not you also "flunked the religious test"? Is it not your enlightenment secularist belief, your "religion", just as much a danger to our republic and its political welfare, as say Mormonism or any other belief system? In fact, the secularism, the individualism, the "autonomous" self which you blindly accept from the Enlightenment, instead of a sovereign creator God, who we derive our rights from, and our responsibilities, is creating a post-modern crisis of meaning and misbehavior in our culture. Are the European countries you tout, the paragons of "progressive enlightenment" or are they part of a dying Western Civilization, a part we need to resist here in this country? Let's level the playing field and play honestly, and then acknowledge that we all bring private convictions, beliefs, into the public sphere. The question is then, "How do they effect our policies and practices?"
long dong

Niles, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

don't believe romney! he belongs to a cult!
Strange Mormon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Hey Tom,
No offense but you have an aura of strangeness about you. No offense, not trying to be mean, I'm just saying.
ajarizona

Salt Lake City, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 8, 2007

Hey Chappy

Romney did address those without faith when he stated those of "Faith and Reason" should come together. Anyone with an ounce of sophistication would know that includes those without faith at all.

To those who think Mormons are weird, Really?

And the Catholic who takes the wafer and wine and belives it literally becomes the flesh and blood of Christ, and then eats and drinks them?
(Transubstantiation)
That's not weird?

Or Hucabee, who believes that all those who do not see God as he does, will literally burn in an eternal hell of fire and brimstone, that includes the Jew, Catholic, Anglican, JW, Buddahist, Sikh, Atheist, those who have never known the name of Christ, etc.. and above all the Mormon.
A Loving God?

Or the Jew who can only take so many steps on the Sabbath.

Or the Calvinist who thinks they are merely pawns in God's eyes and if they are good or evil it's God's will and they have no say in the matter.
(Predestination)

Or the Anglican whose founding Father was the great Moral example, Henry the eighth.

Goofyness is in the eye of the beholder. To a Mormon, these doctines are weird and unacceptable.

For those of you to stand in glass houses and throw rocks at the Mormons is laughable and amusing to watch.

Ah, Bigotry is alive and well.
Don't worry, us Mormons are used to it, Carry on, we will watch with amusement.

good day
aj
arizona

I suggest all uyou posting here find soime nautral hones inquiry skills and read and learn about all faiths and not go by what you hear opr want to hjetr.
LDS.ORG

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of142
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

68 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min flack 1,033,476
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 5 min Toj 96,081
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 5 min Paul 227
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 min Atticus Tiberius Finch 167,512
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 6 min Registered Earth Angel 47,044
Abby 4-17 6 min Toj 40
Amy 4-18 10 min cheluzal 12
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••