Perfect time for Cubs to waive bye-bye to Carlos Zambrano

As Lou Piniella was saying on Friday, enough's enough. Get Carlos Zambrano out of here, even if the Cubs have to give him away. Full Story
First Prev
of 35
Next Last
Patrick

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Jun 28, 2009
Wow. I don't necessarily agree with everything he wrote but it is fascinating to read a veteran writer completely vilify a player like this. Nice touch with the size 30 shoes.
brian

Sycamore, IL

#2 Jun 28, 2009
You're insane. Maybe he's not the ACE that we thought he was, but he's a decent pitcher and actually has been pretty consistent so far this year. Throwing him out would be throwing this whole season out, next season too, at the least.

Since: Jun 08

Buffalo Grove, IL

#3 Jun 28, 2009
Dude, you had me until the end with the bashing his game 2 performance. The four infielders (especially DeRosa) blew that one. Z got a standing ovation in that one. Nice try to rewrite history. Dumpster is the one who sucked last fall. Game one, at least 20 walks.......or at least it felt like it.
Republican

Georgetown, TX

#5 Jun 28, 2009
Cubs fan here......AGREE,

I have had it with his temper.
Jim

Riverdale, IL

#6 Jun 28, 2009
Zambrano is insane! Not in a good way either! Steve Stone said it best! That's why he's got the best stuff in the NL and doesn't win more than 14 games, on average. He's getting paid for a lot more than that and he isn't worth more than the medical bills from a psychiatrist! The Cubbies have lost their advantage in trading him now, way to go Hendry! I wish I would have had the means to pay players for what their worth! It would not have been Soriano, Bradley, Fukudome, Soto, and Zambrano! That's quite a payroll! With what in return?
Kevin

Park Ridge, IL

#7 Jun 28, 2009
This is why newspapers are dying, moron writers like you. Ive lost all respect for you after reading this
Celozzi Ettleson

Chicago, IL

#8 Jun 28, 2009
How come Zambrano doesn't acknowledge God after a bad inning?
Kevin

Cordele, GA

#9 Jun 28, 2009
Seriously, Phil? You don't trade Zambrano. You'd be essentially gutting your starting rotation. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. What are you left with? Ryan Dempster? Injury machine Rich Harden? Randy freaking Wells? If we're in the mood for trading someone for a bag of balls and a 32 year-old minor league player, it should be Milton Bradley. Let's see if we can get Matt Murton back! Or if we're feelin' really saucy, maybe the Cardinals will take Zambrano and give us Mark DeRosa! I'm as sick of watching this mess as everyone else is, but getting rid of Zambrano isn't a miracle cure. It's downright stupid.
Southwest

Tucson, AZ

#10 Jun 28, 2009
Hey Phil.... You must be a Sox fan. Yes I agree that they should get rid of Big "Z". Come on just because he throws at a guy twice. If this was the old days in baseball we would not have to have writters try to handle the situation.

Are you and Ozzie twins??? The home plate umpire did the right thing. Warning after second hit batter.

I see next year will be even better with the annomosity toward each team. Just like Chicago Politics.
Phil Rodgers Pinkslip

Hatfield, PA

#11 Jun 28, 2009
What nonsense. I think it's time for the Trib to waive bye-bye to Rodgers. Z has been very effective this year, just as he has every year he has been a Cub. They have problems, but he isn't one.
Marco

Aurora, IL

#12 Jun 28, 2009
Agree, and send Bradley and Soriano with him...
oog

Charlestown, MA

#13 Jun 28, 2009
This is a joke, right?
BatterUp

Garland, TX

#14 Jun 28, 2009
Maybe Phil needs to be put on waivers. Isn't the Trib going bankrupt?
oog

Charlestown, MA

#15 Jun 28, 2009
This article has got to be a joke. You're not doing your industry any favors, otherwise.

“The quo has no status”

Since: Oct 08

Hammond, IN

#16 Jun 28, 2009
As soon as Z plunked Pods, Lou should have yanked him. Zambrano NEVER recovers from an outburst. He's easier to read than a Dr. Suess book. Yeah, Ozzie played him like a strat. Anyone can once he tunes himself up.
SOX 2005

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 28, 2009
Great article.They are nuts not to get rid of him...
kota77

Middleton, WI

#18 Jun 28, 2009
i agree. Z is not a #1 pitcher but is paid like one. he doesn't win 20 and acts like a fool more often than not. i would most definetly have him on the trading block. think our starting pitching is our strong suit and it won't hurt that much to get rid of a cancerous bum like Z. you can't trade some of these guys and have to wait until they hit. lou has to start benching some of these guys though.
Dan

Chicago, IL

#19 Jun 28, 2009
This is obviously a stunt just to get your column read by virtue of a sensational headline and a completely moronic premise.

Get rid of one of the best pitchers in baseball for a bag of balls or a 32 year old minor leaguer? Thank God you're behind a laptop and not in the front offices at Wrigley. Your notions of what would make the Cubs a more successful team make Jim Hendry look like an absolute genius.
George

Chicago, IL

#20 Jun 28, 2009
Should have never given the big fat contract as unpredictable as he is.
Some one goofed..
Bart

Huffman, TX

#21 Jun 28, 2009
Why stop with Zambrano? Soriano, Lee, Fukudome, Dumpster, Bradley, and Greggshould all be put on waivers. Dis I miss anyone? Get rid of as many as possible. Bring the Iowa Cubs to Chicago and start all over again. Who knows? they might win more games with the Iowa roster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 35
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min No Surprize 1,142,608
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min Rogue Scholar 05 180,732
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr RACE 702
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr Cheftell 68,777
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Roxie Darling 4,866
Are snowmobiles a problem in your neighbor hood ? 2 hr A Neighbor 1
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Concerned_American 388
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News