Reader feedback: Minneapolis & St. Paul, Minn.

Posted in the Chicago Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 07

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Have your own suggestions for visiting Minneapolis & St. Paul, Minn.? Share your tips with other readers.
mdmeaney

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

The Twin Cities have done an excellent job at taking advantage of its beautiful natural environment. I would highly recommend checking out Minnehaha Falls which is one of the most beautiful urban waterfalls in America as long as the chain of lakes (and the uptown area) in Minneapolis. All of these are wonderful places to run or bike when the weather permits.
Katie C

Elk Grove Village, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

Along the lines of Minneahaha Falls are the numerous lakes and bike paths in the city. Lake of Isles, Lake Calhoun, and Lake Harriet provide miles of scenic lake views about a mile from Minneapolis epicenter.

Nearby the lakes is the Uptown neighborhood with it's trendy shops,restaurants and yuppies (Minneapolis's version of Lake View).

Downtown Minneapolis is also known for it's skyway, created to make Dowtown Minneapolis inhabitable for the winters (try walking down the street when 40 mphs winds in 20 below wether rip through the skyscrapers). YOu can park your car indoors heated parking (very reasonably priced for a major city) and spend the day touring the shops and buildings downtown without ever having to leave the indoors.

However, you may want to leave the indoors to check out the statue of Mary Tyler Moore throwing her hat in the air in front of IDS Building.
Jeanne Smith

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

The Basilica Block Party in DT Mpls is a not to be missed weekend...truly fun, lots of great music and food set on the grounds of the Basilica of St. Mary a beautiful and historic structure that Chicagoans who love their architecture will be impressed by.
Top artists and food that goes way beyond the typical "state fair" stuff. Stay downtown at one of our new luxury hotels, you will have a weekend to remember.
Art Perez

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

Two words: NO TAXES!

Minnesota does not have a sales tax on clothes or groceries, so you automatically save the 9% you pay in cities like Chicago. The mall is Great if you like the idea of a MEGA-mall, the best deals though are at the outlets here (about 1 hr NW of the airport).

Three more words: Room & Board Outlet

There is a room and board outlet here where their furniture is priced from 20% up to 90%(avg. about 40%) regular price. Only open on weekends but it is a must see if you are a big fan of room and board.
St Paul Girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2008

Must see, Summit Avenue in St. Paul, almost 5 miles of beautifully maintained mansions dating from the late 1800's, Kenwood area in Minneapolis near Lake of the Isles for similar architecture. Como Park Zoo in St. Paul, one of the last free zoos in the country. Dinkytown near U of M campus and notably, Al's Breakfast there. St. Anthony Main near downtown Minneapolis with the oldest restaurant Pracna, on the oldest street, Main. Nearby Stillwater, a charming former lumbering town that is part of the twin cities metro. St. Paul Winter Carnival is a must-do, particularly the ice sculptures in Rice Park, downtown.
Ex-Chicagoan

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

Forget the Twins game at the Metrodome -- worst place in America to watch baseball, lucky for MSP that they are building a new urban ballpark in a couple of years. Go see the St. Paul Saints (owned by Bill Veeck's son). It is the best baseball venue in town.
Kathie PB

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Minnehaha Falls is a must! Whether it be winter or summer. The iced falls is absolutely beautiful!
Ex-Chicagoan

Eden Prairie, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2008

Ex-Chicagoan wrote:
Forget the Twins game at the Metrodome -- worst place in America to watch baseball, lucky for MSP that they are building a new urban ballpark in a couple of years. Go see the St. Paul Saints (owned by Bill Veeck's son). It is the best baseball venue in town.
And Comedian Bill Murray is Team Psychologist (and an owner).
I heart MPLS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

MATT's for a juicy lucy.
The State Fair
The Lakes
Also, nothing beats a Davanni's Hoagie.

AND..... how can you forget PRINCE? A trip to First Avenue is a must.
Joe

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

The boy's high school hockey state tournament is top notch. The state fair is something else. Ice fishing is bg up here if you're into that.

All this coming from somebody who grew up on Chicago's South Sife
MaconBacon

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

You can also enjoy the rudeness by the locals deemed "Minnesota nice". You'll soon note the self-importance of most who say "yep" rather than thank you or you're welcome.
Jim

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

You must visit the airport - AND LEAVE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEPLACE WARM
Frank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2008

St Paul Girl wrote:
Must see, Summit Avenue in St. Paul, almost 5 miles of beautifully maintained mansions dating from the late 1800's, Kenwood area in Minneapolis near Lake of the Isles for similar architecture. Como Park Zoo in St. Paul, one of the last free zoos in the country. Dinkytown near U of M campus and notably, Al's Breakfast there. St. Anthony Main near downtown Minneapolis with the oldest restaurant Pracna, on the oldest street, Main. Nearby Stillwater, a charming former lumbering town that is part of the twin cities metro. St. Paul Winter Carnival is a must-do, particularly the ice sculptures in Rice Park, downtown.
Twin Cities are totally cool. Got a brother who's lived there thirty years.

I prefer St. Paul to Minneapolis overall--a much older place, architecturally, while Mpls feels new. Still, numerous good things there as well.

The woman who wrote this post is 100% correct about Summit Avenue. A while back, one of the cable TV stations did an entire program on this street. It was a series titled something like "America's Greatest Drives."

I go there from Chicago every October and love the autumn colors of St. Paul.
Kevin

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2008

Make sure to visit the Galleries in NE Minneapolis, many galleries stay open late and throw some of the best openings I've attended in any city. In spring they have there annual Art-a-whirl event where all artists and galleries open their doors in a celebration of the arts.
Rick

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Even on the COLD of winter, there are two places that I would recommend. Both on St. Paul.

The first is Victoria Crossing. Victoria Crossing is located at Grand Avenue and Victoria Street. There are many quaint shoppes and places to eat.

Of the eateries, I would highly recommend is
The Bread & Chocolate Shoppe. There is a wonderful array of sandwiches and treats...especially the brownies.

Victoria Crossing is a little out of the way but it's worth the trip.

The other place to eat is the Green Mill. The one that I have enjoyed is located on Grand Avenue and Hamline.

It's become a little more trendy than when I first visited over twenty years ago, but the food is still top rate. I believe it's a micro-brewery now, too. But I recommend the pizza.

The atmosphere at the Green Mill is very high energy. There are many colleges in the area, so the student crowd creates a wonderful buzz about the place.
Deanna

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Minneapolis' best and least known festival is the MayDay festival, which happens on the first sunday of the month in May. Put on by the Heart of the Beast Puppet Theater it incorperates hundreds of neighborhood children and the twin Cities creative spirit. It begins with a parade at 1pm that goes up Bloomington Ave from Franklin Ave into Powderhorn Park, where there is a pagent to mark the coming of summer and longer days. It is a celebration to give thanks that winter is over. Go check it out on the Heart of the Beast's website for more information.
A Skeptic

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

Nothing to be skeptical about in the Twin Cities: they're a wonderful place to live and visit. No one should miss the Minneapolis Institute of Art, or the Swedish Institute (with wonderful antique stoves), or the Minnesota Historical Society Museum in St. Paul. Antique shops, boutiques, and restaurants on Grand Avenue in St. Paul are charming--Grand runs parallel to Summit Avenue, which someone has already recommended. The western end of Summit Avenue is anchored by two attractive college campuses (Macalester and St. Thomas). Read Patricia Hampl's memoirs (A Romantic Education and The Florist's Daughter) to get a sense of St. Paul.
Chicago-Saint Paul_person

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

In Saint Paul:
The Ordway Theater on beautiful Rice Park at one of the great restaurants across the street.
Walking along the Mississppi River, almost a mythical place when I was growing up in Chicago.
W.A. Frost restuarant on historic Selby Avenue.
Breakfast or lunch at Day by Day on West 7th Street.
The wonderful Art Deco Ramsey County Court House/Saint Paul City Hall. The gracious capital building.
Visiting Como park with it Japanese Garden, Conservatory, Pavailion with concerts overlooking the lake, golfing (or sking in winter).
... and there are wonderful cities like White Bear Lake with wonderful shopping and walking and food.
... Roseville Mall and the neighboring area actually is better for shopping than the Mall of America
... and I can keep going. Come and enjoy!
Gregg

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Lake Minnetonka just West of the Twin Cities. Beautiful area with plenty to do in summer and winter.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of41
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

54 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RoxLo 1,078,412
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 11 min Terry rigsby 48,843
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 30 min scirocco 67,863
Abby 7-23 47 min edogxxx 2
Amy 7-23 50 min edogxxx 2
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 174,460
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 1 hr edogxxx 97,512
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Cook County was issued at July 23 at 3:16AM CDT

•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••