Off-duty Chicago cop seriously hurt in Dan Ryan crash

Full story: Chicago Tribune

An off-duty Chicago police officer is hospitalized today with serious injuries after a crash Christmas Eve on the Dan Ryan Expressway, police said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 229 Comments Last updated Dec 27, 2007
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Justice

Lombard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

My thoughts and prayers and with him at this time.

I guess drinking and driving don't mix!

Also, notice in this article they don't say if he was drinking or not. Need to cover it up-
copwife

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Jack wrote:
I do feel sincerely bad for the tow truck driver trying to help someone and gets injured by a drunk cop driving in a Mercedes likely purchased with proceeds from illegal seizures.
How do you know he was drunk. Don't be jealous because he has a Mercedes and you never will. I pray for this officers recovery and pray that the family does not see these comments from the thankless citizens. In a time of need they would all call upon this officer to save their sorry little ass.
Jack

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

How could a sober person possibly plow into an emergency vehicle with flashing lights on a well-lit expressway? Wanna bet he was DUI?

In fairness, maybe the Mercedes was not purchased with shakedown money. Could have been a friends car I suppose.
chgocitizen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

People get distracted too. Did you ever hear of that? People have been known to be pulled over for DUI when in effect they were just sleep deprived. People have crashed because they were texting on their cell,eating, etc. Also why can't the car be his? Did you ever hear of saving money for something you want or budgeting? My husband is an officer and we have a nice car as well. I work and he works. Maybe that is the concept you cannot grasp-working for a living. It saddens me to think that there is such ignorant mentality out there. Also I have almost hit plow trucks. They don't always make the best choices when they pick where they park. Also how do you know he was not cut off by someone causing him to swerve? By all of your knowledge, you should consider getting your own T.V. show. You seem to know things are fact without even being at the site of the accident. That is true talent. Also, Merry Christmas from a sober police wife. May you find comfort today by yourself. My Christmas will start when my husband gets off work from protecting ignorant citizens like you. Post what you want as a reply to me as I will no longer be reading your posts. I also ask that any other police supporters ignore posts such as Jack's. I should have done the same from the beginning. No sense in arguing with someone who is obviously bitter.

Since: Oct 07

Sparta, Tn.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

I realize that the officer was off duty; but why not stay home on Christmas Eve and get drunk? Not be out traveling the roads when you are smashed? That sounds like some of the idiots here in Tennessee. But I guess it happens everywhere these days.
Peep

South Bend, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Guess he is over the limit. When will people learn, drinking and driving don't mix.

Thank god no one else was seriously injured.
Ronster

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

How tragic...

"The officer's blood-alcohol limit exceeded the legal limit, said Monique Bond, spokeswoman for the Chicago Police Department."

Even more tragic...on Christmas Eve:

"The truck driver, who was repairing a flat tire on another vehicle, was injured and taken to a local hospital."

Whether he was driving a Mercedes or a Toyota, he shoud not have been behind the wheel of that car. I hope he survives his injuries.

Since: Dec 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

What is wrong with you people? It is against the law to drive a car impaired! Although you have to have a BAC of .08, driving with any BAC can get you an arrest for impaired driving. He was breaking the law. Regardless if he is an officer, he should get prosecuted accordingly. HE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!
ChicagoDon

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

copwife wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know he was drunk. Don't be jealous because he has a Mercedes and you never will. I pray for this officers recovery and pray that the family does not see these comments from the thankless citizens. In a time of need they would all call upon this officer to save their sorry little ass.
I find it very ironic the cop was driving a Mercedes. How often we see people say "Union Yes" when it suits their own purpose (as the cops often do) but then they care so little about other union members (such as the UAW) in other matters.
Oscar

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Cops are trained to be alert and high speed road capable. The only way this one missed a tow truck on an expressway, was if he was driving drunk. Throw the book at him. And those of you self righteous "I'll pray for him" types, keep your stinking prayers. If this creep had plowed into a vehicle with your children in it, killing or crippling them for the rest of their suffering lives, you would have a much different attitude. A more responsible attitude toward the others that this creep could have hurt. Pull your self righteous heads out of your butts, and stop turning the other cheek, and forgiving everyone for their irresponsible behavior, and DEMAND that people behave with accountability toward others.

Since: Dec 07

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

copwife wrote:
<quoted text>
You know he was drunk because it clearly states in the article that his BAC was over the legal limit.

"The officer's blood-alcohol limit exceeded the legal limit."

Learn how to read!
ANNE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

ChicagoDon wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it very ironic the cop was driving a Mercedes. How often we see people say "Union Yes" when it suits their own purpose (as the cops often do) but then they care so little about other union members (such as the UAW) in other matters.
take it easy, watch your blood pressure. WOW
todd

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

another cop who thinks the laws dont apply to CPD officers. way to go and lead by example. hope the tow truck driver is ok.
ANNE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

Its not about you wrote:
<quoted text>
You know he was drunk because it clearly states in the article that his BAC was over the legal limit.
"The officer's blood-alcohol limit exceeded the legal limit."
Learn how to read!
The BAC was not in the initial article you fool. Unlike you I cannot read what is not there. It is in there NOW, but not initially you narrow minded fool. Did you ever hear of an updated story???
chicago voter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

another drunk cop above the law and this will be covered up by his scum friends in the police dept. as they protect gang daly

Since: Nov 07

Mount Prospect, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

When will the Tribune start posting the employers of all other DUIs that result in an injury?

My prayers for him and his family on this most difficult Christmas Day.
ANNE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

VivianC wrote:
When will the Tribune start posting the employers of all other DUIs that result in an injury?
My prayers for him and his family on this most difficult Christmas Day.
Good question. I guess it's interesting also how fast the media stopped posting about Amy Jocabsen. It's funny how they protect their own but criticize when cops protect their own. What hypocrites .
SWF

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

I pray that officer makes a full recovery. I know its a hard job trying to protect all the criminals and ignorant people in Chicago.
Joe

South Bend, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

We cops have a tough job a few drinks are a requirement to work. Cops are trained to drive under situations such as drinking and drugs. This was most likely a problem because the damn truck driver's truck was sticking out in the road.

BACK THE BADGE!
todd

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2007

note how the police officer's name is *to this point* unknown. if it were anyone other than a cop, that name would be front and center from the first moment.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr harmonious 1,095,053
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Yahoo 49,229
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Insect Trust 68,820
Ferguson police shoot another black unarmed man! 2 hr Hayden 22
29 Shot in Spate ofWeekend Chicago Violence 2 hr Anonymous 4
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 4 hr Mister Tonka 97,727
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr andet1987 550
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr LRS 176,650
•••
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••