Albemarle Supervisors Look to Improve Cell Phone Service - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, S...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

The Albemarle County Board of Supervisors is updating county code to improve cell phone service after a storm-related death was blamed on a lack of service.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jul 24, 2012
oldman

Hardy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 22, 2012
 
There are two "new" cell towers on Rt 20S.
They are placed at local schools, and the height of the antenna suggests that their sole purpose is to give the school wifi service.
Our current laws are written so that no one is offended. We need to realize that an "ugly" cell tower that can be seen for miles is much more effective than one that is stuck in the treeline with no sight line.
concerned resident

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 22, 2012
 
This story needs more detail--what death is being blamed? the one on Decca Ln? As a resident of Albemarle Co, and being completely dependent on cell phone reception, I would REALLY like to know where there is no service.
Kim

Martinsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 22, 2012
 

Judged:

1

There are lots of areas with no service along route 20, Old Lynchburg Rd, Plank Road, all through parts of Scottsville, Esmont, North Garden. I once too was completely dependent on cell service before I moved to North Garden and all routes from Charlottesville to my home has very bad cell reception if any with the exception of coming down 29.
Thank God

Fincastle, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jul 22, 2012
 
Thank God. Looks like we may FINALLY have a board of supervisors with some common sense. Next they should check on the County's HR department. Bunch of theives working in there.
Historical reaction

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 23, 2012
 
You have to be kidding right? The city counsel prohibits cell towers for years them when they make a decision to let them go up then they are intelligent? This is so Charlottesville.
Roger

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 23, 2012
 
concerned resident wrote:
This story needs more detail--what death is being blamed? the one on Decca Ln? As a resident of Albemarle Co, and being completely dependent on cell phone reception, I would REALLY like to know where there is no service.
Drive along Rt 20 north or south. Also, North Garden area has pretty bad reception.
Citizen_21

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 23, 2012
 
concerned resident wrote:
This story needs more detail--what death is being blamed? the one on Decca Ln? As a resident of Albemarle Co, and being completely dependent on cell phone reception, I would REALLY like to know where there is no service.
They are referring to the woman who got out of her Car on Route 20 just north of Keene during the storm. There was a tree blocking the road she had no cell service so she got out of her vehicle to see if she could get better reception another tree fell killing her.
Citizen_21

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 23, 2012
 
There have been two cell tours turned on recently I have Ntelos and I now have voice service pretty much the entire drive down Route 20 to Scottsville.
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 23, 2012
 
We don't have service in these areas cause we have a corporate system that lacks competition. The board can say what it wants but it can't do squat about this. Europe went thru this and ended up telling these corporate jerks what they will do, not what they want to to do. We live in such a backwards culture compared to Europe and we are kept that way cause corporate America wants us that way. You want to fix the problem? either start suing or start boycotting, remember, all these corporate slim bags have boards looking for investment returns and they don't give a hoot what the county says.
Local

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 23, 2012
 
reality bites wrote:
We live in such a backwards culture compared to Europe and we are kept that way cause corporate America wants us that way.
If you think Europe is so great, go live there. We were built on a free market mindset that allows companies to invest their money where they believe the demand is.
If they are made to put towers up everywhere they would lose money just on maintenance costs. If you want cell service everywhere tell the BOS to allow the towers to be built to maximize coverage areas instead of insisting they be built on the county owned property. They are just trying to get the lease money. If the company decides not to put towers up then switch to a different provider (again, free market allows for you to have choices).
heh

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 23, 2012
 
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think Europe is so great, go live there. We were built on a free market mindset that allows companies to invest their money where they believe the demand is.
If they are made to put towers up everywhere they would lose money just on maintenance costs. If you want cell service everywhere tell the BOS to allow the towers to be built to maximize coverage areas instead of insisting they be built on the county owned property. They are just trying to get the lease money. If the company decides not to put towers up then switch to a different provider (again, free market allows for you to have choices).
The 'different' providers share the towers huck.
Albemarle Mom

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 23, 2012
 
NBC-29, You should probably update the photo associated with this article. If residents think this is what the tower looks like, they'll likely challenge the Board on making changes to it's current code. The new tower located at Walton Middle School is much more inconspicuous than this.
heh

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jul 23, 2012
 
Albemarle Mom wrote:
NBC-29, You should probably update the photo associated with this article. If residents think this is what the tower looks like, they'll likely challenge the Board on making changes to it's current code. The new tower located at Walton Middle School is much more inconspicuous than this.
The school towers are for school communication.
just sayin

Scottsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 23, 2012
 
It's about time someone does something to improve the cell phone reception. I live in Scottsville, and for most of the daily ride to and from Charlottesville, to try to use my cell phone is a joke. It's hit and miss--mostly miss. God forbid that Albemarle County have a tower that a tourist may be able to see--you know we can't have that! Cell phone towers may help someone report an accident faster or even help save a life--but, what the county looks like is much more important evidently.
Dude

Montpelier, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 23, 2012
 
just sayin wrote:
It's about time someone does something to improve the cell phone reception. I live in Scottsville, and for most of the daily ride to and from Charlottesville, to try to use my cell phone is a joke. It's hit and miss--mostly miss. God forbid that Albemarle County have a tower that a tourist may be able to see--you know we can't have that! Cell phone towers may help someone report an accident faster or even help save a life--but, what the county looks like is much more important evidently.
So let me get this straight, you are pro-government coercing a private entity in to doing something?
.
Yes, I'm sure those that spend millions on their estates are concerned with how their property value will be affected by cell towers. People don't buy houses for what they aren't, they buy them for what they are. How did you ever survive without cell service to and from your house? If you wanted cell service, why didn't you purchase or rent from elsewhere? If it is so important to you, how is it possible that you overlooked that detail?
reality bites

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 24, 2012
 
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>So let me get this straight, you are pro-government coercing a private entity in to doing something?
.
Yes, I'm sure those that spend millions on their estates are concerned with how their property value will be affected by cell towers. People don't buy houses for what they aren't, they buy them for what they are. How did you ever survive without cell service to and from your house? If you wanted cell service, why didn't you purchase or rent from elsewhere? If it is so important to you, how is it possible that you overlooked that detail?
We must always consider that the benefit of the many should always out way the greedy self serving acts of the few.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••