Erie solitude

Full story: Columbus Dispatch
Clockwise from top left: The beach at Fish Point marks the southern tip of Canada. Full Story
Pelee is GREAT

Deer Park, NY

#1 Jul 19, 2009
It's been 10 years since we were there - we were engaged on Fish Point!- but I'm glad to know it's still the rural getaway it was then. We found the Stonehill B&B to be quite charming, with a lovely view of the lake and their horses from the room we were in. We biked EVERYWHERE!
The winery was a nice calm respite as well. Just be careful how much you try to bring back home... we tried to bring home 5 bottles of wine after being there less than 48 hours, and were admonished by Customs for not knowing the rules (I think we were allowed one bottle each!), but when we offered to pay whatever duty or tax we owed, the custom officer just grumbled, "It's not worth the paperwork. Just go." LOL!
You can even fly there from Sandusky, but you need to have transportation lined up from the airstrip (shack). Wherever you're staying may pick you up. We thought we would walk to the B&B, but another couple took pity on us and gave us a ride. It's a bigger island than you think, about 9 mi X 3miles. A great getaway if you are looking for something more dignified than the frat mentality of Put-In-Bay!
One more thing - bring lots of sunblock and bug repellent,if you plan on hiking!
Carol

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 20, 2009
My family spent one to two weeks every summer on Pelee Island when I was growing up. We had a group of six families who would rent cabins together. My dad was a fisherman, and would spend morning to dusk in his little boat with various family members pulling in the perch and walleye.
Thank you for jogging my memory of those great times.
Sally Dungan

Ada, OH

#4 Jul 20, 2009
I was thrilled to see your article on Pelee Island. As a child I would spend my summers up there swimming and combing the beach for "treasures". It truly is a unique and charming place. I hope that if you come back that you will stay a little longer and look me up on the east side.
Phil

Sahuarita, AZ

#5 Jul 20, 2009
We go there very year on our Lake Erie sailing trip. Scudder's dock is as peaceful as it comes, with good camaraderie among the boaters at the dock. At night, it is very pleasant to watch the large boats ply the waters to the north. Good bar food close to the dock, nice upscale dining down the road, and great bakery within walking distance too. Rent a bike close to the dock and ride around the island. I like the winery, local island museum, fish point, and the lighthouse on the north-east side. Riding the whole island is a good workout!
Jeffrey Kramb Cooper

Middleton, ID

#6 Jul 30, 2009
I went to Pelee as a young child in the 60's. I didn't remember much. I have seen it from a distance often from Put-In-Bay where our family has enjoyed a Summer home, also since the early 60's. Knowing I was moving form Ohio in the Summer of 2007, I fulfilled a promise to my wife and children that we would take our 15' trihull to Pelee before leaving PIB. We arrived on a beautiful day, registered our alien selves in the phone booth by the dock, took a taxi around the island, and grilled our own dinner at the winery. Enjoying the few places to enter and shop, we returned by taxi to the dock. The wind had picked up as had the waves. Wanting to get a picture of the lighthouse from the water we turned north instead of south toward PIB (even though my daughter, Gretchen, needed to get back to take the PIB ferry to the mainland to get back for work in the morning). The waves really began to swell. We decided to go around the North side of the island using it as a break to the waves. Not far along, 200 yards from shore, my son, Nathan, yelled "SHALLOW!" at which time we hit bottom and the motor stopped (later we would discover a severely bent prop and broken skag). Wanting to return to PIB as soon as possible, we pushed ourselves out with a boat pole, restarted the 85hp mercury outboard and headed back around the shortest route. Getting further away from Pelee, the waves grew larger and larger (this is Lake Eire afterall) we searched for a place to doc on a map of Pelee and saw none, already to far from our original landing. Also, the other end of Pelee, barely under water, looked like it went on forever and seemed like we would never make it around the east point to saftey. My wife, Kim was ready for us to be safe at home. For the first time ever, I wore a life jacket on my own boat as we found ourselves 100% vertical (amazed we never capsized) on several occasions. There was not another boat to be seen on the Lake (smarter people than us) We tried calling the coast guard, via 911 and got the Ottawa County Sheriff - a bad connection brought us no help. At this point, I thought, if I can just get to North Bass - still a long way away, we'll be safe. By the grace of God, we made it to North Bass and I figured at this point, we might as well go the distance. We pulled into PIB harbor, leaving my "life-saving" boat at the dock, I raced my daughter down to Miller Ferry as the evening's final one was just about to pull away, she got on it while I returned to put my boat on the trailer, and the next day head for home - then to Idaho. Pelee may be a wonderful place to live, but be I wouldn't want to visit - unless it's by plane or ferry!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pelee Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ontario Winery Profile: Strewn Winery Aug '14 Wine 1
Ontario Wine Wednesday: Small Talk Vineyards Jun '14 more 1
Southwestern Ontario, Canada for birds, butterf... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Taylor 1
The Ontario government plays Santa to Ontario W... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Dean 1
NTSB: Plane Was Scheduled To Land In Ontario (Nov '13) Nov '13 Rex 1
Same-sex wedding expo returns to Livonia (Apr '13) Apr '13 Mr Pipps 1
Show revives memories of Detroit-area Bob-Lo th... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Pete 1

Pelee Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE