I went to Pelee as a young child in the 60's. I didn't remember much. I have seen it from a distance often from Put-In-Bay where our family has enjoyed a Summer home, also since the early 60's. Knowing I was moving form Ohio in the Summer of 2007, I fulfilled a promise to my wife and children that we would take our 15' trihull to Pelee before leaving PIB. We arrived on a beautiful day, registered our alien selves in the phone booth by the dock, took a taxi around the island, and grilled our own dinner at the winery. Enjoying the few places to enter and shop, we returned by taxi to the dock. The wind had picked up as had the waves. Wanting to get a picture of the lighthouse from the water we turned north instead of south toward PIB (even though my daughter, Gretchen, needed to get back to take the PIB ferry to the mainland to get back for work in the morning). The waves really began to swell. We decided to go around the North side of the island using it as a break to the waves. Not far along, 200 yards from shore, my son, Nathan, yelled "SHALLOW!" at which time we hit bottom and the motor stopped (later we would discover a severely bent prop and broken skag). Wanting to return to PIB as soon as possible, we pushed ourselves out with a boat pole, restarted the 85hp mercury outboard and headed back around the shortest route. Getting further away from Pelee, the waves grew larger and larger (this is Lake Eire afterall) we searched for a place to doc on a map of Pelee and saw none, already to far from our original landing. Also, the other end of Pelee, barely under water, looked like it went on forever and seemed like we would never make it around the east point to saftey. My wife, Kim was ready for us to be safe at home. For the first time ever, I wore a life jacket on my own boat as we found ourselves 100% vertical (amazed we never capsized) on several occasions. There was not another boat to be seen on the Lake (smarter people than us) We tried calling the coast guard, via 911 and got the Ottawa County Sheriff - a bad connection brought us no help. At this point, I thought, if I can just get to North Bass - still a long way away, we'll be safe. By the grace of God, we made it to North Bass and I figured at this point, we might as well go the distance. We pulled into PIB harbor, leaving my "life-saving" boat at the dock, I raced my daughter down to Miller Ferry as the evening's final one was just about to pull away, she got on it while I returned to put my boat on the trailer, and the next day head for home - then to Idaho. Pelee may be a wonderful place to live, but be I wouldn't want to visit - unless it's by plane or ferry!