New Engine, Four New Models From Harley-Davidson

Full story: Theautochannel.com

Harley-Davidson will launch the Twin Cam 96, an all-new Big Twin engine, as it introduces its 2007 line of motorcycles.
Comments
21 - 40 of 221 Comments Last updated Apr 22, 2012
Terry

Lenoir City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

I have a 07 street bob, the parade duty mode has been activated on my bike, that is free at the dealership. It shuts the fuel off to the rear cyl and lets it cool down at idle and low speeds. I don't have a heat problem, but the popping at the rear cyl exhaust pipe when i let off the throttle is driving me krazy.
Bobby T

Kennett Square, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

got a new 07 Street, but before purchasing I rented in Fla for a week,.loved it,..gobbs of power and tourqe the dream HD. bought one on NJ,.put on Rhinheart slip-ons and stage 1 filter and a power commander.,..Had some pingin so I brought it back,..they did a new upload from HD,..helped the pingin but no its too rich,.lost power and sooting up the bags.just bought a HD race tuner and am currently getting Dyno tuned,...Hoping it performes better,.. will post results
cbmyster44

Panama City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

I got an 07 FLHX and put the Screaming Eagle breather kit , Vances & Hines true dual exhaust and the power commander on it and the preformance is amazing, I have not had the heat problem because I ride it not putt on it like a scooter
Irover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

cbmyster44 Doesn't it bother you that after you paid
all that cash for a new bike, you have to spend thousands more to make it perform ?? Don't you
think HD knew they have overheating problems before
they introduced the 07/08 hotbox's ?? If you went into a new car dealer and bought the most expensive
model they had and the inside temp's of the car rose
to over 100 (with the A/C on) would you send thousands to fix the problem or take it back to the
dealer and demand your hard earned cash back ??
cbmyster44

Panama City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Irover wrote:
cbmyster44 Doesn't it bother you that after you paid
all that cash for a new bike, you have to spend thousands more to make it perform ?? Don't you
think HD knew they have overheating problems before
they introduced the 07/08 hotbox's ?? If you went into a new car dealer and bought the most expensive
model they had and the inside temp's of the car rose
to over 100 (with the A/C on) would you send thousands to fix the problem or take it back to the
dealer and demand your hard earned cash back ??
Good point but most people change there bike to be what they want anyway,looks sound,preformance and thousands on chrome.So theres not much difference.
Irover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

cbmyster I would agree that many personalize their rides. Harley banks on that! I would bet that it is a huge part of their annual revenue. That said, its no excuse for engineering a bike that in its stock form cannot be ridden comfortably. By the way, Ive been told that changing the EFI violates the warranty. The dealers wont tell you that but if the engine fails, HD will look for any reason to get out of replacing it. I was going to get some Screaming Eagle parts for my bike until I examined the catalog very very closely and realized that many of those parts are for "track use" only and if used on a street bike also violates the warranty. As for me, I think I will wait till
2010 or there abouts for the water cooled version!
clinkhd

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2007

lrover, you're badly misinformed then. Any and every HD part that you have installed at the time of purchase not only doesn't void any warranty, it becomes automatically covered by HD for the same period as if it were a stock part, regardless of what the factory warranty on the individual part should have been. This is a one time offer that Harley makes when you purchase a brand new bike, and the parts must be installed at time of purchase. Parts that are installed later are covered under their own warranty, but will not void your factory warranty, as long as they are genuine Harley parts and not race-only parts.
I have a 2008 FLHTCUI that never left the shop until a 110 kit was installed on the engine, as well as Rinehart true duals and a Mustang seat.
While the TC engine does get hotter than the Evo, it's not a significant difference. I have a 93 FLHT with a Revtech 100" engine that feels plenty toasty on a 90 degree day I can tell you. Go ahead and buy that Victory if you want, you won't see many guys who trade in a Harley Davidson on a Victory, but you sure see lots of em trading that crap bike in on Harleys, lol.
cbmyster44

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2007

Irover wrote:
cbmyster I would agree that many personalize their rides. Harley banks on that! I would bet that it is a huge part of their annual revenue. That said, its no excuse for engineering a bike that in its stock form cannot be ridden comfortably. By the way, Ive been told that changing the EFI violates the warranty. The dealers wont tell you that but if the engine fails, HD will look for any reason to get out of replacing it. I was going to get some Screaming Eagle parts for my bike until I examined the catalog very very closely and realized that many of those parts are for "track use" only and if used on a street bike also violates the warranty. As for me, I think I will wait till
2010 or there abouts for the water cooled version!
All the parts I installed came from my local dealer and was told it did not void the warranty ,they stood behind every item I put on the bike.I've had it for a year and have never had a problem with it.
Irover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2007

No one has answered the obvious question:
Why buy an product that has to be significantly
modified and one of the most expensive bikes today
that has to be significantly mofifiec to be used?
Yes, many HD ownwers customize their ride. But the bike should perform stock. Every07/08 owner I have met has the heat problem, even after modifications to the EFI, air cleaners,.....
I am sure the "hard core" will still buy HD but
you couldn't keep the company afloat last time and
you will not be able this time
cbmyster44

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Irover wrote:
I have heard that HD is raising pricies 1K ??? I guess they
think some people will pay anything....... I just started to
look at used 2 - 3 year old Road Kings and cant believe
the number of bikes available, less than 10k miles, for
4 to 5 k less than the 06 list.
I just read the new Harley bulletin and the 2008's are a little cheaper than the 2007's.

“Living Life One Ride at a Time”

Since: Oct 07

Albert Bridge, Nova Scotia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

cbmyster44 wrote:
<quoted text>I just read the new Harley bulletin and the 2008's are a little cheaper than the 2007's.
HD prices in Canada have been dropping significantly for the past few years. In 2001 I purchased a left over 2000 Night Train and for the same money today I can buy a 2008 Classic Touring dresser. The 2008 Night Train sells for 3000 less than I paid for the 2000 and it comes with a fat rear tire stock. If I had bought the bike with the thought of it being an investment I would be "pissed" but I bought it to keep it so I just enjoy riding the hell out of it.
Irover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Well if you have a bike that has 300 degree temps
on the cylinders stock, maybe its hard to sell so
you cut production (HD strike\plant closings) and
you cut the price so the uninformed think, WOW NOW
is the time to buy! But just like the AMF days,
once your start screwing your customer base HD is
back on the road to oblivion! The HD's of the 90's where great machines, a bit pricey, but a fun ride. HD seems to think now they have "made" it and can put any crap on the street and the loyal (???) flock will buy regardless if they have to pay thousands more to make it rideable!
cbmyster44

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

I have had my 07 Street FLHX for over a year and rode the bike in winter ,spring and summer.I have not had a heating problem with this bike.I have a 96 Fatboy and riding it the oil tank gets rather hot on some days and will burn your leg if you wear shorts and filp-flops like my wife.Which she will tell you she don't do that anymore.LOL
electraglidecoop

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 20, 2007

The heat is gone.
I now have 10 extra hp.(Dyno tested)
Wow.
Engine nose subsided .
The thermostaticly operated cooling fan does not even kick in now . It seems as cool as my old 95 HD.
Just too bad it cost me money.
springer1

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Irover wrote:
No one has answered the obvious question:
Why buy an product that has to be significantly
modified and one of the most expensive bikes today
that has to be significantly mofifiec to be used?
Yes, many HD ownwers customize their ride. But the bike should perform stock. Every07/08 owner I have met has the heat problem, even after modifications to the EFI, air cleaners,.....
I am sure the "hard core" will still buy HD but
you couldn't keep the company afloat last time and
you will not be able this time
it sounds like you have allready made up your mind before you get started. Irover, adding exhaust is not a necessity, it is a choice! Stop your whining and go buy one of those wannabe rice grinders if you are so dissatisfied with a "REAL" motorcycle. I have ridden a few jap bikes over the years, and they "ALL" run hot when you idle in traffic. Besides, how many of them are still on the road after 20 years? ride safe, and i hope you find a bike that comes up to your "standards".
springer1

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

The company has come up with a winner with the 08 ULTRA CLASSIC. Any bike has issues during break-in. Mine has 1900 miles on it after 2 weeks, and runs just like my 06 springer softail did. As a matter of fact, I am going to skip the so-called upgrades(not needed!). RIDE SAFE everyone, and keep the rubber where it belongs(ON THE ROAD!)

“Living Life One Ride at a Time”

Since: Oct 07

Albert Bridge, Nova Scotia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

springer1 wrote:
The company has come up with a winner with the 08 ULTRA CLASSIC. Any bike has issues during break-in. Mine has 1900 miles on it after 2 weeks, and runs just like my 06 springer softail did. As a matter of fact, I am going to skip the so-called upgrades(not needed!). RIDE SAFE everyone, and keep the rubber where it belongs(ON THE ROAD!)
Thanks for the info man, I just ordered an 08 Classic to be triked and some of these posts had me doing some serious thinking. Ride safe brother.
Irover

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Actually, Springer1 I own a real harley-davidson,
a 1951 Servi-Car! That was back when HD really
built quality. Also own a Sportster but am not
going to move up to an overheating oven and
then spend thousands retro-fitting it to make it
rideable. I have experienced first hand 07 owners
shutting down their rides and PUSHING them because
they overheat. Why dont you read the numerous posts
on this topic and tell the truth! 300 degree temps
don't lie! Work for the motor co, huh?
wally gator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

I own a 07 standard out of 5 ive owned it is the biggest piece of crapp ive ever had wish I would have bought a V STAR
wally gator

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2007

NAW ACTUALEY I love the bike just be glad when I can afford to cool it down.hope I can before is to late

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Automakers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cheney touts economy, Patriot Act during Missou... (Jan '06) Wed swedenforever 3
Social Circle: Thoughts on Harley-Davidson moto... Aug 25 Martin boult 1
Asia Stocks Widen Gains Ahead of US, China Data Aug 24 k9drfm4 6
CEO to reveal 5-year strategy in early 2014; ke... (Nov '13) Aug 19 Lesabre 9
Alfa Leisure to Build Luxury Motorhomes & 5th W... (May '08) Aug 15 PA Jim 83
GM to build stamping plant for Lansing Grand Ri... Aug 14 ARMOR LOCK 1
Jermaine Jackson: 'Michael Would Die Over Again... Aug 13 Jermaine 7 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Automakers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••