Kevin Love's double-double streak ends at 53 as Timberwolves fall to Warriors

Full story: TwinCities.com

Stephen Curry had 24 points and nine rebounds, and the Golden State Warriors ended Kevin Love's four-month run of consecutive double-doubles in a 100-77 win over the Timberwolves on Sunday night.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Mar 15, 2011
wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#1 Mar 13, 2011
Johnny Flynn got warned for complaining to the refs tonight. Someone should have complained loud and long about the fact that the Warriors got by with quite a few muggings of Love tonight. When he was triple teamed and bouncing around between them like a Nerf ball, why isn't a foul being called??? When an elbow to the back of the head almost knocked him to the floor - why wasn't a foul called? Had he gone to the line even half the times he was fouled, he would have made his double-double easily. I don't think it was just the Warriors who decided to deny him tonight - it was also the refs.

Granted - we had way too many turnovers and didn't shoot well, but why try when so few calls are being made and the game was decided before it started. We beat them just a week ago. We're not this bad.
Stay out of nightclubs

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 14, 2011
What EVER will we talk about now? Go Wolves!!!!!!!!!!5
MinnesooooOTa

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 14, 2011
Well now that the Streak is over is there really any reason to ever turn on the Twolves?

Nope.
Wolvesfan

Rochester, MN

#4 Mar 14, 2011
Kevin Love is still playing, you know. The streak ended - that's all that is different. If the streak was the only reason you watched, you are not much of a fan.
HOLDONAMINUTE

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 14, 2011
I'm so glad we took Rubio/Flynn over Curry - that Curry guy can't play in the NBA.....

Nothing like drafting a guy who most likely never wear your teams uniform.
The Hard Truth

Cedar Falls, IA

#6 Mar 14, 2011
I thought the anti-Love reffing was so transparent that I can't help but think that the NBA bigwigs said, "Okay, Love got his record. Now put a stop to this."

I can't believe a league can be so arrogant as to have their referees function as players in the game. Yet it appears to be the case. Love was hammered every time he tried to shoot, whereas, before the record he was getting freethrows on touch fouls that no one else would have gotten. The NBA is such a creepy operation. I wish I wasn't addicted. It is not a healthy place to invest any emotional energy.
Mnwolf

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 14, 2011
Next season will finally be the season when the wolves win 30 games!!!!! WOOOHOOO!! can't wait! Been so long since they've won 30 games in one season!!
SufferingWolvesF an

Louisville, KY

#8 Mar 14, 2011
Classless Warriors fans jeered Love when he sat for the last time. Even for an opponent, his achievement deserved at least applause, if not a standing ovation. I'm sure he will get one when he comes back to Target Center though. This was a missed opportunity for Golden State fans to show some class.
St Paulie

Hartford, CT

#9 Mar 14, 2011
Well done Kevin. In a season with few highlights, watching your effort night-in and night-out was remarkable.
could not shoot

Waukesha, WI

#10 Mar 14, 2011
He must be 100% or this would not have happened. Too bad to lose the streak in dumpville, Northern Cali is a waste of Cali taxes. it should belong to Oregon. Start a new streak for next year, you can break 55 and go for 60.
Timberwoes

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Mar 14, 2011
Agree with wolvefan above.
I know we're supposedly biased, but Love was getting absolutely abused. At one point, one player pushed him in the back, a second pushed him in the face, as a third stripped the ball.

**Crickets.** No call. Again and again.


Repeat many times last night. The fix is in with the NBA. Whether its crooked refs or league office mandates, you never know just what kind of footprint the refs will put on the game. It has gotten to the point I have to turn it off and walk away the officiating is so lopsided and overly impactful on the outcome of games.

That said, 26 freaking turnovers. Darko is just absolutely regressing. Time to go back in the fetal position and wish he was back home in Europe, but NO, the Wolves give him a multi-year deal as we always do. What a joke of a franchise. Top all the way down.
jmndodge

Maple Grove, MN

#12 Mar 14, 2011
I applaud Love for his tremendous work ethic and string of exceptional games. The clippers focused on stopping one man, and it can be done, if you don't worry about the rest of the team. This is the first time this season our guys played with our leader completely shut down, and they didn't know how to step up. The talent is there, and with the other coaches paying attention, they will have a few games this season to figure out how to step it up when Love is triple teamed. Love will also become better working under that pressure, but two guys had to open, and long periods of triple teaming one guy is a recipe for disaster against good teams. I look forward to seeing this team with another year experience. I listened to Kahn's view of Flynn, and hope that he is right and he is fully healthy next season. Darko, and Beasley are the ones most needing to step it up a notch at this point. Hang in there with this team, they have turned the corner -- the Clippers proved it with their focused play and the ref's decision to allow the continual mugging under the basket.
Mondak

Beaumont, CA

#13 Mar 14, 2011
Love looks good every night. David Lee has a few moments. Let him have his 5 minutes of fame. Love is already legendary. Sometimes you have to hang up your
hard-hat and your lunch pail Kevin, and get some rest. You have to get up for work tomorrow. You see that? it's #18 coming up.
Mondak

Beaumont, CA

#14 Mar 14, 2011
HOLDONAMINUTE wrote:
I'm so glad we took Rubio/Flynn over Curry - that Curry guy can't play in the NBA.....
Nothing like drafting a guy who most likely never wear your teams uniform.
Get over it. You guys, just get over it. You lost your girlfriend, she married another guy. Deal with it, or become a fan of Golden State.
Mondak

Beaumont, CA

#15 Mar 14, 2011
jmndodge wrote:
I applaud Love for his tremendous work ethic and string of exceptional games. The clippers focused on stopping one man...
We know you meant "Warriors"
Yessir

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Mar 14, 2011
Mondak wrote:
<quoted text>
Get over it. You guys, just get over it. You lost your girlfriend, she married another guy. Deal with it, or become a fan of Golden State.
Um, what? Get over the fact that we had two chances at Curry and took a guy who can't stay healthy (or play D) and a guy who doesn't want to play on the Wolves? Get bent - why would I get over it? If they draft Irving and trade Rubio, then I'll get over it.
Leon Clemons Jr

Mill Valley, CA

#17 Mar 14, 2011
Rambis should be ashamed of himself and apologize to Kevin Love for bringing his double-double streak to an end. He should have known better. Being a life long Laker fan I'm shocked by lack of awareness on the part of the coach and his staff for this gross oversite. The league should do something about the poor judgement demonstrated by coach Rambis.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#18 Mar 14, 2011
The streak ending doesn't bother me too much. I would agree that the officiating was .... ummm....unusual. It seemed like there was a lot of contact, quite often, and a lot of "non calls".

Darko is a turnover waiting to happen. The dude just cannot play basketball at an NBA level. He is just too slow reacting to be a rebounding force, and carries the ball too low to be an offensive force. He must have the grip strength of a girl as he gets stripped time and time again. I hate to think that we are going to have to watch three more years of his ineptitude.

While I am on ineptitude, what is up with Flynn? The guy had a really good game about two weeks ago and everyone, myself included, started to think that "OK, now we are seeing something promising". Last night he was awful. Turnovers galore, an inability to stay in front of Steph Curry (who was supposed to be too unathletic to play point guard), and an inability to beat his man off the dribble. What is with this incessant dribbling of the basketball, which serves no purpose other than to run the shot clock down so far that Flynn has to launch a long three? The biggest factor in Love not getting his double double was that he only took 6 shots. Last I checked, it was the PG's job to distribute the ball. If Flynn, or Ridnour, could actually penetrate into the lane, perhaps Love would get a few more attempts.

If Rubio isn't coming over, then we had better draft a PG who is quick enough to play at the NBA level. Ridnour is OK to keep around as the backup. Package Flynn and Darko in a trade and take whatever you can get.
Timberwoes

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Mar 15, 2011
fracas wrote:
While I am on ineptitude, what is up with Flynn? The guy had a really good game about two weeks ago and everyone, myself included, started to think that "OK, now we are seeing something promising". Last night he was awful. Turnovers galore, an inability to stay in front of Steph Curry (who was supposed to be too unathletic to play point guard), and an inability to beat his man off the dribble. What is with this incessant dribbling of the basketball, which serves no purpose other than to run the shot clock down so far that Flynn has to launch a long three? The biggest factor in Love not getting his double double was that he only took 6 shots. Last I checked, it was the PG's job to distribute the ball. If Flynn, or Ridnour, could actually penetrate into the lane, perhaps Love would get a few more attempts.
If Rubio isn't coming over, then we had better draft a PG who is quick enough to play at the NBA level. Ridnour is OK to keep around as the backup. Package Flynn and Darko in a trade and take whatever you can get.
I honestly couldn't believe anyone was getting excited/optimistic after that one successful game. He's under-sized AND slow. He was admittedly quicker last season prior to injury, but he oft just dribbled it off his foot out of bounds with that extra speed last year and was always out of control. Watching Flynn off the ball will make anyone just pull their hair out. He stands around motionless if he doesn't have the ball. After he dumps the ball off,(provided he doesn't turn it over due to diminutive stature or bad decisions,) he's out of the play at that point and a bystander. Standing at the 3 point line seems to be his "signature move." It's a "drive and dish" league, and Johnny got no drive and no dish. Oh, and he can't shoot. Worthless.
Billy Jean King

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Mar 15, 2011
Timberwoes wrote:
<quoted text>
I honestly couldn't believe anyone was getting excited/optimistic after that one successful game. He's under-sized AND slow. He was admittedly quicker last season prior to injury, but he oft just dribbled it off his foot out of bounds with that extra speed last year and was always out of control. Watching Flynn off the ball will make anyone just pull their hair out. He stands around motionless if he doesn't have the ball. After he dumps the ball off,(provided he doesn't turn it over due to diminutive stature or bad decisions,) he's out of the play at that point and a bystander. Standing at the 3 point line seems to be his "signature move." It's a "drive and dish" league, and Johnny got no drive and no dish. Oh, and he can't shoot. Worthless.
Pooh Richardson of the 2010's

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are Golden State Warriors a Big Step Away from ... May '14 rob 1
Golden State Warriors Must Make Big Trade to Ge... (Feb '14) Feb '14 juan 1
Indiana Pacers hold off Golden State Warriors 1... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Ginobili 1
Golden State Warriors: 5 Things to Watch for vs... (Jan '14) Jan '14 asad khan 1
Don Nelson Zings Golden State Warriors, Lights ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 denniscooldad 1
Warriors' play as bad as officiating (Jan '13) Feb '13 Ginobili 3
Warriors Rip Clippers 115-94 (Jan '13) Jan '13 Ginobili 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

David Lee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••