Magic starting point guard job now on the shoulders of Rafer Al...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

At the same time their incumbent all-star point guard was undergoing season-ending surgery on Thursday, the Orlando Magic were making a move to fill Jameer Nelson 's sneakers, acquiring 10-year veteran Rafer ...
Comments
21 - 40 of 129 Comments Last updated Feb 23, 2009
Tiffany

United States

#21 Feb 20, 2009
rafer can start wit jameer ,and courney can back up rafer
kenny

Auburn, WA

#22 Feb 20, 2009
Cocoa Beach Fan wrote:
I have a question for kenny as I'm just trying to understand what kind of basketball fan you are.
Answer this, if Lebron plays for the Knicks in 2010, will you be a Cavs fan or a Knicks fan.
Once you answer this, I will understand your comments better.
well considering i was born and raised in Seattle Washington i will always be a seattle Supersonic Fan...but since 2006 i have been just as much as a Cleveland Cavelier fan as a Sonic Fan (2006 was when i realized the sonics werent gonna be around much longer) so i have grown to be more than just a lebron fan...the cavs are, and will be my favorite team even if lebron leaves (he is staying in cleveland) unless seattle gets a new team...so to answere your question, cleveland will still be my team even if lebron leaves, as long as seattle doesnt get a new team
kenny

Auburn, WA

#23 Feb 20, 2009
not to mention that my 4 year old daughter is already a big fan of Big Z
nanningbob

San Francisco, CA

#24 Feb 20, 2009
A Houston sports writer gave an synopsis on Rafer. Most of it was good, his one big criticism was he did not have good vision once he started driving the lane. He also commented that he had a hard time getting assists with Tmacs style of play. The best thing I like in his comments was that he was a tough defender, handle the team offense well and was low on TO. So this looks like a good fit for us. Obviously it will take time for him to fit in but I think he will be excited to be in Orlando.

“Life's a Beach”

Since: Dec 07

Cocoa Beach

#25 Feb 20, 2009
kenny wrote:
<quoted text>
well considering i was born and raised in Seattle Washington i will always be a seattle Supersonic Fan...but since 2006 i have been just as much as a Cleveland Cavelier fan as a Sonic Fan (2006 was when i realized the sonics werent gonna be around much longer) so i have grown to be more than just a lebron fan...the cavs are, and will be my favorite team even if lebron leaves (he is staying in cleveland) unless seattle gets a new team...so to answere your question, cleveland will still be my team even if lebron leaves, as long as seattle doesnt get a new team
Fair enough. You just gained some respect from me! Honestly I thought you were only a Lebron fan and not a team fan.

So you actually think he's going to stay in Cleveland when the Knicks are going to throw the bank at him?

Seattle is an awesome city. I saw Pearl Jam at the Key Arena there once and I can see why the team left as that arena is totally old and outdated. I'm sorry your team left brother!

Speaking of old and outdated, Ken Griffey is coming back to Seattle!

“FL for Harley FL not Floriduh”

Since: Jul 08

Lake Mary

#26 Feb 20, 2009
Great pick! I cant wait to see this act on the court, it should be impressive.
marko

Oviedo, FL

#27 Feb 20, 2009
i truly think this is a great move for orlando and their situation..we need experience at the point gaurd spot right now,and this guy has run the same system before..i think he will fit in very nice...it will take a lil time till he really gets in sink with these guys,once he does watch out..orlando is back as a strong threat once again..
marko

Oviedo, FL

#28 Feb 20, 2009
johnson was a better backup anyway,he is really good off the bench ...alston is a legit starting point gaurd! this is just what orlando needed,this guy has experience and game! go magic

Since: Sep 07

Oviedo, FL

#29 Feb 20, 2009
For some reason my last post didn't show up so I will try this again.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about this trade is how it frees up money to resign Turk. Without the 2009 first round draft pick cap hit, Otis has a better chance of reaching a good deal with Turk. Not only do we get better depth at point guard, we now have a better chance of keeping our core starters together. Great move Otis.
mike

Oviedo, FL

#30 Feb 20, 2009
Cocoa Beach Fan wrote:
Otis pulled off the steal of the trade deadline. He holds his cards close to his chest. This trade was not on ONE rumor board.
Of course once Rafer has one bad game, the anti-Otis, anit-Magic
d--chebags will be back on the boards.
Has anyone seen the video of where Rafer was accused of a DUI? If I was on the jury I would through it out of court.
Judge for yourself, but IMO the cop was an **** hole!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Z-NqjIfxYi0XX
CBF, I see alot of videos of cops on a powertrip and abusing their authority, however this is not one of them. It's pretty obvious Rafer is trashed. I dont even think the cop would of arrested him until he volunteered. Why do you think he refused the tests? Because he was sober? PLLEEEAAASSEEE! Cmon man, I wouldn't want my wife or kids on the same road with Rafer in that condition. Would you?
ADD

United States

#31 Feb 20, 2009
Go Magic!!
mike

Oviedo, FL

#32 Feb 20, 2009
BTW, I think this is a solid pickup for us. He's not a premier player but he can fill in this year and be a solid backup to Jameer next year, which was the weakest part of the MAgic lineup this year(backup PG). I still dont think we get to the Conf Finals with him but we should get past the first round. It would be nice if Lew and Turk bust out of this slump they're in. I still think that signing Lewis for that much money will cripple our franchise almost as bad as Grant Hill did. I wish we could unload him and then go after DWade in 2010. That would be a fine recipe for a Title.
Aron

Orlando, FL

#33 Feb 20, 2009
mike wrote:
BTW, I think this is a solid pickup for us. He's not a premier player but he can fill in this year and be a solid backup to Jameer next year, which was the weakest part of the MAgic lineup this year(backup PG). I still dont think we get to the Conf Finals with him but we should get past the first round. It would be nice if Lew and Turk bust out of this slump they're in. I still think that signing Lewis for that much money will cripple our franchise almost as bad as Grant Hill did. I wish we could unload him and then go after DWade in 2010. That would be a fine recipe for a Title.
You’re a little late on the first part, but I will agree with the fact that Lewis's contract may cripple us. We aren't going to have much money to work w/ in 2010, but we may be able to pick up the left overs from that FA period. We defiantly aren't going to get a premier name that year, but we may be able to steal a mid tier guy... maybe...
LMAO

AOL

#34 Feb 20, 2009
I'd like to congratulate the Magic on there new record... they have succeeded in having the All Time Geriatic Point Guard Society!

AJ 12 years
Ty 11 years
Rafer 11 years..... TOTAL 34 years.
With this combo of ancient PG's there can be No Doubt that the Magic, and Otis Smith, have reached the Pinnacle of broken down Journeymen point guards.

I suspect that if the arthiritis holds of or some young PG doesnt fake all of them into broken ankles this combo can take the Magic to perhaps 2 wins in the first round.

I'd say Otis pulled off another wheelchair act and would been better off getting Kyle Lowry. Then again, if Rafer is good he can beat out Jameer next year and they wont have a midget PG that gets pushed around be about every other PF, so that should help!
:)

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#35 Feb 20, 2009
LMAO wrote:
I'd like to congratulate the Magic on there new record... they have succeeded in having the All Time Geriatic Point Guard Society!
AJ 12 years
Ty 11 years
Rafer 11 years..... TOTAL 34 years.
With this combo of ancient PG's there can be No Doubt that the Magic, and Otis Smith, have reached the Pinnacle of broken down Journeymen point guards.
I suspect that if the arthiritis holds of or some young PG doesnt fake all of them into broken ankles this combo can take the Magic to perhaps 2 wins in the first round.
I'd say Otis pulled off another wheelchair act and would been better off getting Kyle Lowry. Then again, if Rafer is good he can beat out Jameer next year and they wont have a midget PG that gets pushed around be about every other PF, so that should help!
:)
Always raining on our parade.

If we had gotten Kyle Lowrey, you would have pointed out his stats and said we should have gotten Alston.

;-)
Aron

Orlando, FL

#36 Feb 20, 2009
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
Always raining on our parade.
If we had gotten Kyle Lowrey, you would have pointed out his stats and said we should have gotten Alston.
;-)
Yep
mike

Oviedo, FL

#37 Feb 20, 2009
Aron wrote:
<quoted text>
You’re a little late on the first part, but I will agree with the fact that Lewis's contract may cripple us. We aren't going to have much money to work w/ in 2010, but we may be able to pick up the left overs from that FA period. We defiantly aren't going to get a premier name that year, but we may be able to steal a mid tier guy... maybe...
A little late on the first part? Dont understand. Anyways, I do understand that were not going to have much money to work with in 2010, if any at all. Which is why, if you read my post, I said if we can find a sucker to take Lew then, and only then, would we be a serious player in 2010. Trust me, I do realize that is a longshot but can't a fan dream a little? If we resign Turk, which I change my mind every time I watch him play, then we will be lucky to have a MLE (without going over luxury tax) in 2010. Resigning Turk is a tough call. Bottom line, if he wants 10 mil a year for 4 or 5 years, let him walk. If he's reasonable and wants 7-8 mil a year for 3 or 4 years, I'd say jump all over that. Tough call for Otis, though.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#38 Feb 20, 2009
sireofmany wrote:
For some reason my last post didn't show up so I will try this again.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned about this trade is how it frees up money to resign Turk. Without the 2009 first round draft pick cap hit, Otis has a better chance of reaching a good deal with Turk. Not only do we get better depth at point guard, we now have a better chance of keeping our core starters together. Great move Otis.
I agree but also it must be known that Rafer is making 5 mil. a year for the next 2 years. A little pricey for a backup when Jameer is healthy. But, given Jameers health issues, I think thats one position we should have locked up.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#39 Feb 20, 2009
turdstorm wrote:
the celtics are winning without KG, they're still #1 in the east, jon. did you forget how physical, sometimes dirty, they play?
They lost that game and will continue to lose with KG out. Scallabrine not quite the same as KG.

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#40 Feb 20, 2009
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but also it must be known that Rafer is making 5 mil. a year for the next 2 years. A little pricey for a backup when Jameer is healthy. But, given Jameers health issues, I think thats one position we should have locked up.
uh....I dont think RAFER will want to be a backup for this team.
I have a feeling he'll be gone before he becomes backup.
After Jameer gets to 100% healthy, watch for RAFER to be shopped because there will be many takers for a good PF..etc...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brian Cook Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NBA proceeding with plan to buy New Orleans Hor... (Dec '10) Dec '10 wtf 1
These Arms Are Snakes to fly 'Dove' on road (Jun '09) Jun '09 offthedial dot ca 1
The Lakers' Trevor Ariza is a handful for Orlan... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Water Boy 602
Magic will see new and improved Ariza (Jun '09) Jun '09 ArizaIsAGameChanger 6
Tuesday's game: Magic at Rockets, 8:30 (FSN) (Apr '09) Apr '09 Lou to the Rescue 7
Rafer Alston trade huge coup for Magic GM Smith... (Feb '09) Feb '09 coolzero 61
Magic trade Brian Cook for Rockets' Rafer Alston (Feb '09) Feb '09 egriff txsports org 142
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Brian Cook People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••