Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer will not need knee surgery

Joe Mauer's troublesome left knee will not need surgery, Minnesota Twins general manager Bill Smith said today. Full Story
Burns

Owatonna, MN

#1 Oct 28, 2010
But his back will. To put a bone in it and Morneau needs heart surgery, to give him one and Gardenhoser needs brain surgery .......... Hey wait the Twins are the Wizards of Loss
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#2 Oct 28, 2010
No, lets wait until spring training and then he can miss another month of the season. Remember this coming season he'll be making $23million so there's no sense in having to play a full season....
RKA33

New York, NY

#3 Oct 28, 2010
remember Sidney Rice....Trianing equals no Mauer and surgery will be required. This team needs to get some players with a mean streak. This sucks already.
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

#4 Oct 28, 2010
If the Twins could count on having a decent back-up catcher in terms of someone who could hit, Mauer might see more DH time, especially since it isn't certain whether Thome will return. Another uncertainty is the case of Justin Morneau. Why not at least consider Mauer as a back up first baseman? The Twins have to find a way to keep Mauer's bat in the line-up and perhaps reduce the wear and tear on him. Victor Martinez's health has no doubt benefited from playing two positions although it's certainly true that Martinez isn't a very good defensive catcher.
FMC651

Avoca, WI

#5 Oct 29, 2010
I hope things heal up properly for Joe. The Twins need a new manager. Gardy isn't the answer. He has proven that much, 0-12 and counting.the central division tltles don't cut it any longer. I refuse to go to another twins game as long as Gardy is there.
big10guy

San Francisco, CA

#6 Oct 29, 2010
I hope this is good news on Mauer. I'm just afraid this will be a lingering problem and flame up again in spring training. Then, as other readers have suggested, he'll have surgery to clean things up then and miss a month or more when it counts. With a catcher, there's got to be normal wear and tear on the knees that can be routinely monitored and cleaned up with a scope. You'd think this would be preventative maintenance occasionally for a lot of players. But now is the time to do it, with plenty of time for rest and rehab before February.
TC Florida

Cocoa Beach, FL

#7 Oct 29, 2010
It's always good to avoid surgery if you can, so that's positive news on Mauer. Which free agents the team signs will be very intersting. I do think Kubel's contract needs to be picked up, but the team can resign Punto for less.
mema

Lake Wilson, MN

#8 Oct 29, 2010
Billy says "he's an impact catcher" NOT in the playoffs Billy. But Mauer says he's tough and played through the pain. POOOR Mauer. Get in better condition and earn your 23 million. You're a headcase!
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#9 Oct 30, 2010
brachiosaurus wrote:
If the Twins could count on having a decent back-up catcher in terms of someone who could hit, Mauer might see more DH time, especially since it isn't certain whether Thome will return. Another uncertainty is the case of Justin Morneau. Why not at least consider Mauer as a back up first baseman? The Twins have to find a way to keep Mauer's bat in the line-up and perhaps reduce the wear and tear on him. Victor Martinez's health has no doubt benefited from playing two positions although it's certainly true that Martinez isn't a very good defensive catcher.
You don't pay a player $23million a year to be a DH!! This will be another season just like last year and the year before only it will cost the team more. PLUS we still have the AL manager of the year coaching---not a chance in hell for a WS..........
Robbie

Edenton, NC

#10 Oct 30, 2010
FMC651 wrote:
I hope things heal up properly for Joe. The Twins need a new manager. Gardy isn't the answer. He has proven that much, 0-12 and counting.the central division tltles don't cut it any longer. I refuse to go to another twins game as long as Gardy is there.
They gave the clown AL Manager of the Year!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Mauer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Time for catchers to step up to plate (Feb '14) Feb '14 An Interested Obs... 1
Justin Morneau's Top 20 Moments as a Minnesota ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Bleeds Purple 1
MLB Trade Scenarios: Is Joe Mauer or Justin Upt... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Jammer Man 2
Time for Twins to think about 2012 (Aug '11) Aug '12 Ozzie Guillen 29
Mauer money, Mauer problems (Jan '12) Jul '12 they will lose 10... 9
Pujols & Angels shut out again, 4-0 by Blue Jays (May '12) May '12 hatchet 2
Spring training: With workouts beginning, Joe N... (Feb '12) Feb '12 Ozzie Guillen 3
More from around the web