White Sox GM Ken Williams wields more depth

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Four winters ago, White Sox general manager Ken Williams heard announcer Ken Harrelson's sales pitch on behalf of abandoned catcher A.J. Pierzynski .
Comments
41 - 56 of 56 Comments Last updated Dec 9, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Grindin', jack.”

Since: Nov 08

ChiTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Dec 7, 2008
 
KW Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats one of the saddest thing I've ever read.
I couldn't agree more. And that's from a guy that trusts KW and voted for Obama. I mean, sheesh!
Dontrel _V-Lane_ Vazor

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Dec 7, 2008
 
Rob wrote:
Outside my family there was only one person I trusted. Since then the number grew to two with the election of Barack Obama.
The person I trusted before Obama's election to the Presidency was White Sox GM Kenny Williams. I am sure he will make the moves that are needed to keep the Sox competitive for another World Championship.
You're pathetic. Left your parents house this year?
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#43
Dec 8, 2008
 
Mr Baseball wrote:
I like the White Sox. But you do not hear much from them in these newspapers. Players are unknown. The manager is a big mouth. I still cannot believe that "Hawk" guy is with them. Need more PR for this team.
Trade the old guys off, and start with youth. You are almost there Kenny.
Andre Dawson is not with the Sox.
Go back to the beach.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Dec 8, 2008
 
Ben wrote:
i keep hearing jenks name mentioned in possible trades, why would we trade him and weaken the strongest part of our already suspect bullpen? Is there someone who's ready to step into that crucial role that we've already got in the system? And if anyone says linebrink, that guys has done nothing but prove he'll be hurt at some point during the year. plus i don't think he is much of a payroll burden at this point. i do forsee kenny coming away with a pitcher after the winter meetings.
But school me - why trade Big bad Bobby Jenks?
The Sox are looking at Poreda as a closer.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Dec 8, 2008
 
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
That might be the first time I've seen a World Series MVP get called a choker. On 9/1, his avg. was .294; on 9/30 it was .292. He, like the rest of the team, didn't play well in Minny, but had 10 hits in the last 6 games. I don't call that choking.
He was fine in 2005 when he was 32. He's 35 now and hasn't done much. Plus, he can't play RF and is overpaid. Kenny is clearing space for Ichiro.
hydeparkLuke

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#46
Dec 8, 2008
 
ConcernedCitizen wrote:
We have Quentin and Crede healthy last fall, and we win ALCS.
Thank goodness Vazquez is gone, that was like giving away a game.
Get a legit lead off hitter and another pitcher, then fill in the blanks (depth). That's all. And when it comes down to one player to get a hit in the final game against the best relief person in the business, I'll take Jermaine Dye over anyone.
How in the world could you name Dye?

Nada Surf wrote:
He was one heckuva choker last season. Were you not watching the bigger games down the stretch? Thankfully, Dye won't be with the team any longer.

your point is worthless because you had cabrera, konerko/thome, et.al. choking as well!

Dye is a class act and like AJ a leader on the team... The sox need Dye on this team for his "consistent positive numbers" and "leadership".

Dye exemplifies integrity by playing hard ALL OF THE TIME regardless of what position the team is in.

I'd rather have Dye on the team than some young punk kid.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#47
Dec 8, 2008
 
hydeparkLuke wrote:
ConcernedCitizen wrote:
We have Quentin and Crede healthy last fall, and we win ALCS.
Thank goodness Vazquez is gone, that was like giving away a game.
Get a legit lead off hitter and another pitcher, then fill in the blanks (depth). That's all. And when it comes down to one player to get a hit in the final game against the best relief person in the business, I'll take Jermaine Dye over anyone.
How in the world could you name Dye?
Nada Surf wrote:
He was one heckuva choker last season. Were you not watching the bigger games down the stretch? Thankfully, Dye won't be with the team any longer.
your point is worthless because you had cabrera, konerko/thome, et.al. choking as well!
Dye is a class act and like AJ a leader on the team... The sox need Dye on this team for his "consistent positive numbers" and "leadership".
Dye exemplifies integrity by playing hard ALL OF THE TIME regardless of what position the team is in.
I'd rather have Dye on the team than some young punk kid.
Dye would be the last guy I'd want up there in a clutch situation. Any normal reliever would easily get him out in a tight spot.

“Grindin', jack.”

Since: Nov 08

ChiTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Dec 8, 2008
 
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>Dye would be the last guy I'd want up there in a clutch situation. Any normal reliever would easily get him out in a tight spot.
I think you may be a bit hard on Dye. The only player on the team more clutch last season was Quentin, with Alexei coming on late. It just seemed more pronouced because A) Dye slumped in Sept., and B)It was so much more heartbreaking when he didn't get it done because you knew Cabrera, Konerko, Thome, AJ would NOT get it done. I found myself wishing Uribe were up a couple times, which is always scary. That said, I say trade him for Homer Bailey. If cash is holding things up, eat some cash, for Christ's sake! With Swish and Vazquez gone, there's a few dollars available. That still leaves two gaping holes in the outfield, though, which makes me wonder about the deal.
hydeparkLuke

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Dec 8, 2008
 
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>Dye would be the last guy I'd want up there in a clutch situation. Any normal reliever would easily get him out in a tight spot.


Let's not forget his excellent numbers and his 2005 world series MVP.

Good thing you are where you are and blowing air here.

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Dec 8, 2008
 
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>So, after the years Crede put together that helped the Sox to a title, you're going to remember him as a guy prone to errors?
Fields may not be the answer at 3B, but he's hardly injury-prone.
Fields can have many of Konerko's and Thome's at bats this season. I'd train him to play 1B.
Hey I love Crede, but his time has come and gone and I will always remember 2005 fondly, but like Coach Ditka taught us, "The past is for losers"
Disgusted

Peotone, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Dec 8, 2008
 
I'm a Dye fan. The season is 162 games long. I would rather have Dye than a .220 hitter who finally gets a few hits in September. Without someone's efforts in the first 130 games, September hits might not matter.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Dec 8, 2008
 
hydeparkLuke wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not forget his excellent numbers and his 2005 world series MVP.
Good thing you are where you are and blowing air here.
2005 was a long time ago...Remember how he pouted and contributed to the 2007 disaster?
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Dec 8, 2008
 
So IL Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey I love Crede, but his time has come and gone and I will always remember 2005 fondly, but like Coach Ditka taught us, "The past is for losers"
Crede was an All-Star in 2008.

“Stimulate THIS!”

Since: Aug 08

West Frankfort, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Dec 9, 2008
 
Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>Crede was an All-Star in 2008.
And we're still scratching our heads.

“Grindin', jack.”

Since: Nov 08

ChiTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Dec 9, 2008
 
So IL Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
And we're still scratching our heads.
I think we can all agree that, when healthy, Crede is a top defensive 3rd baseman, and has been THE clutch Sox player for a long time. It's a shame he can't stay healthy, as he is one my family's favorite players.
Nada Surf

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Dec 9, 2008
 
So IL Bruno wrote:
<quoted text>
And we're still scratching our heads.
Who's we?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Corky Miller Discussions

Search the Corky Miller Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Reds ink Wang, nine others to minor league deals (Dec '13) Dec '13 Joe 1
Chicago White Sox try to rest catcher A.J. Pier... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Nada Surf 3
Chris Getz to bat 2nd for Chicago White Sox (Apr '09) Apr '09 Nada Surf 24
Sox figuring Colon for rotation (Mar '09) Mar '09 Tom 5
White Sox recap (Mar '09) Mar '09 hmm 1
Ozzie sizes up his roster (Mar '09) Mar '09 Robert LeGear 34
Corky Miller hopes to secure backup catcher job... (Mar '09) Mar '09 Robert LeGear 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••