Yankees might begin season without long reliever

Full story: Newsday

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - The Yankees planned to have a long reliever in 2008, but a lack of good options changed that.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Mike

Flushing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

They'd be well servs to take Tomko instead of Veras.
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

Mike wrote:
They'd be well servs to take Tomko instead of Veras.
Tomko only had a good spring--worth a look at Veras expense i dont know. Dan Giese or Veras probably have to get waived unless someone else goes to the 60 day before opening day. Pettitte isn't warming up well; nobody would probably claim him....

“YANKS 27 Time World Champions”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Tomko only had a good spring--worth a look at Veras expense i dont know. Dan Giese or Veras probably have to get waived unless someone else goes to the 60 day before opening day. Pettitte isn't warming up well; nobody would probably claim him....
Pettitte pitched fine on Tuesday..think Bowa is right..Penny seems to be a lazy guy about his workout ethics..betcha it catches up to him during the season when Boston needs him the most..after all they were cheap with Penny...
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Pettitte pitched fine on Tuesday..think Bowa is right..Penny seems to be a lazy guy about his workout ethics..betcha it catches up to him during the season when Boston needs him the most..after all they were cheap with Penny...
Pettitte had a good game against the B team the other day; NYY seem to be tuning up front line pitching while every other team is seeing what the kids can do last few days of ST. Hes mostly pitched to AAA this spring.

Dunno about Penny;hes pitching alright but has only 7inn in and Buchotz pitched 25 and got sent down. My guess he'll be back. Penny was low risk so he can share #5 with Smoltz Bowden and Bucholtz. Penny/Smoltz/ect is still a 20 win combo considering there is no defined line between #4 and #5 with the Sox mid-season. If he can pitch more than 150 innings its all good.

Be interesting to see if Pettitte pitches more inn than Penny in 2009.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Pettitte had a good game against the B team the other day; NYY seem to be tuning up front line pitching while every other team is seeing what the kids can do last few days of ST. Hes mostly pitched to AAA this spring.
Dunno about Penny;hes pitching alright but has only 7inn in and Buchotz pitched 25 and got sent down. My guess he'll be back. Penny was low risk so he can share #5 with Smoltz Bowden and Bucholtz. Penny/Smoltz/ect is still a 20 win combo considering there is no defined line between #4 and #5 with the Sox mid-season. If he can pitch more than 150 innings its all good.
I don't care DW..if Pettitte was pitching against a HS team..its not the competition..its the problem he had with his shoulder I was worried about..not his quality..and he's rebounded well..his shoulder problem began after the all-star game and that's the reason is why his numbers were high last year..Pettitte best pitch is his cutter...and he looks ready to go.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Big deal DW..pitching to a AAA team is a rookie's case for making the team..Not Pettitte who is a 15 year veteran..the training was for his shoulder..and he pass..thought you knew baseball?...
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

You took it the wrong way-- Hes been pitching good against AAA competition and went well against a team made of primarily AAA players; not a dig. I know he is just working on form and lets face it after the way he finished last season he could use a confidence boost as well.
All he really needs to give is about 25 starts; thats plenty for him this season; he probably will give more if the shoulder as you say can hold up. Besides in his slot whats he gonna give anyway 6 innings a game?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
You took it the wrong way-- Hes been pitching good against AAA competition and went well against a team made of primarily AAA players; not a dig. I know he is just working on form and lets face it after the way he finished last season he could use a confidence boost as well.
All he really needs to give is about 25 starts; thats plenty for him this season; he probably will give more if the shoulder as you say can hold up. Besides in his slot whats he gonna give anyway 6 innings a game?
No.. 7 or 8 innings as usual..Pettitte is an innings eater..be careful what you say about a bad shoulder..Lester started this spring out that way..and he did have cancer unfortunately and your never 100% again..and that's a disadvantage for him...gotta be optimistic
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>No.. 7 or 8 innings as usual..Pettitte is an innings eater..be careful what you say about a bad shoulder..Lester started this spring out that way..and he did have cancer unfortunately and your never 100% again..and that's a disadvantage for him...gotta be optimistic
Hes young and they got it early.Exceeded all expectations last year..and Lester did well this spring; hes picking up more muscle and ya gotta say that kids got heart and determination.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Hes young and they got it early.Exceeded all expectations last year..and Lester did well this spring; hes picking up more muscle and ya gotta say that kids got heart and determination.
Gotta see another year out of Lester before I'm convinced he's as good as you say...
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Gotta see another year out of Lester before I'm convinced he's as good as you say...
All signs say he's the real deal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
All signs say he's the real deal.
Don't care what the signs say..I say seeing is beliveing
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

So we'll see...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
So we'll see...
Rice K is a concern..he's thrown alooooooooooot of pitches over the years with missing the plate allot and batters not chasing..again you gotta worry about how much ole Dice K has left in his tank..before breaking down..Beckett has back issues..doubt they re sign him..probably will be begging Schill to come out of retirement so they can give that bum a discount...lol
DirtyWater

Brisbane, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Paul Yanks wrote:
<quoted text>Rice K is a concern..he's thrown alooooooooooot of pitches over the years with missing the plate allot and batters not chasing..again you gotta worry about how much ole Dice K has left in his tank..before breaking down..Beckett has back issues..doubt they re sign him..probably will be begging Schill to come out of retirement so they can give that bum a discount...lol
OFF TOPIC RESPONCE TO OFF TOPIC POST

(AJ)is a concern..he's thrown alooooooooooot of pitches over the years with missing the plate allot and batters not chasing..again you gotta worry about how much ole (AJ) has left in his tank..before breaking down..(AJ) has (shoulder and elbow) issues..doubt they re sign him..probably will be begging (Mussina) to come out of retirement so they can give that bum a discount...lol
Chuck Law

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
(AJ)is a concern..he's thrown alooooooooooot of pitches over the years with missing the plate allot and batters not chasing..again you gotta worry about how much ole (AJ) has left in his tank..before breaking down..(AJ) has (shoulder and elbow) issues..doubt they re sign him..probably will be begging (Mussina) to come out of retirement so they can give that bum a discount...lol
Go bang a kangeroo or something

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

DirtyWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop with your Redsox cheer leading posts ya dope ya...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Brian Bruney Discussions

Search the Brian Bruney Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Much talk, little action at winter meetings (Dec '09) Dec '09 sonny p 2
Phillies, Yankees Ready To Do Battle In The Bronx (Oct '09) Oct '09 Miss Suzette 8
Pettitte disappointed in himself (Jul '09) Jul '09 Jim 1
Is Hughes replacing Bruney as eighth-inning guy? (Jul '09) Jul '09 El Viejo 2
Cabrera, Jeter get key hits as Yanks down Mariners (Jun '09) Jul '09 Jim 19
Joe Girardi Blows It Bigtime (Jul '09) Jul '09 Stan--New Jersey 2
A-Rod, Pettitte help Yankees sail past Mariners (Jul '09) Jul '09 Jim 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••