pugo46

Belvidere, IL

#122 Jul 8, 2011
Here's a link to the New York Times from last year.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/to...
Robert

United States

#123 Sep 15, 2011
My friends 2001 Rav 4 had the same ECM/Tranmission problem we found a place called "Check Engine etc" on ebay that charged 420.00 to fix the ECM that was 2 years ago and her Rav 4 is still running perfect. Now she got a Class Action Notice in the mail to repay all cost for this problem. They give a website but it doesn't open. Here's a # to call 1-877-235-4599
Sharon

United States

#124 Oct 12, 2011
Before I give my mechanic another $600, does anyone know if this happens with the 2003 Rav4's? Thanks
Mary Kay

Canonsburg, PA

#125 Oct 16, 2011
I own a 2001 Rav4, which I had not had problems with, except the other day, all of a sudden, the key would not turn at all to turn on the car. It was like locked and would not move to ACC. I had heard today that there was a recall having to do with this (ignition or steering column problems). Has anyone had this happen or heard of a recall on this problem?
Mary Kay

Canonsburg, PA

#126 Oct 16, 2011
I own a 2001 Rav4, which all of a sudden, without having any prior problems with it, the key would not turn in the ignition to start the car. It was like locked, and won't turn...I tried turning the wheels, etc., but it wouldn't move. I had to have it towed, and the tow truck driver said there is definitely something wrong in steering column/ignition. I have it at a garage to have it checked out, but heard today that there may have been a recall for this problem! Does anyone know of this, or had this problem???
Lucinda Hutcherson

San Marcos, TX

#127 Oct 23, 2011
Class action suit. I received the letter, and had to replace my ECM light three times. The problem is that the car has been totaled, it hydroplaned on a wet road into a truck and could not be repaired as frame was bent. I have a new car now, but all of the repair papers were in the Rav4 which was towed by insurance company. I would love to be compensated for the cost of the ECMs,asone was 184, one was 156 which was done while on the road in a cross country trip, and one here in Texas. I always too to a toyota dealer, and was never told it was a problem. My Rav4 was a 2001 and I still miss my Rav, even witht he problems, as it was my first new car.
Timothy

Edmonton, Canada

#128 Nov 5, 2011
I'm from Alberta,Canada.My 2001 Rav4 with only 59,000 km also has ECM/transmission problems.Until last week no noticeable problems with this car except for sometimes sluggish acceleration then suddenly a check engine light showed up accompanied by a jerking when put to reverse gear.Took it to Toyota dealer shop right away,and new ECM was installed.However,three days later the check engine light came on again.Took it back,and now they said the car needs a new tranny.It was $1000 CDN for the ECM,and now a rebuilt tranny to about $5600 installed.I talked to the Dealer's General Manager, pleaded for my case, but because I am past 7 months the 10 year extended warranty offered no help, except if i want to trade the car,he would give me $3000 for it.I am very upset and said no way!My rav4 is in my garage now, pondering what to do with it. I will definitely write to toyota Canada. They should issue a recall regardless of the age of this car.
liner

Patchogue, NY

#129 Nov 5, 2011
Timothy wrote:
I'm from Alberta,Canada.My 2001 Rav4 with only 59,000 km also has ECM/transmission problems.Until last week no noticeable problems with this car except for sometimes sluggish acceleration then suddenly a check engine light showed up accompanied by a jerking when put to reverse gear.Took it to Toyota dealer shop right away,and new ECM was installed.However,three days later the check engine light came on again.Took it back,and now they said the car needs a new tranny.It was $1000 CDN for the ECM,and now a rebuilt tranny to about $5600 installed.I talked to the Dealer's General Manager, pleaded for my case, but because I am past 7 months the 10 year extended warranty offered no help, except if i want to trade the car,he would give me $3000 for it.I am very upset and said no way!My rav4 is in my garage now, pondering what to do with it. I will definitely write to toyota Canada. They should issue a recall regardless of the age of this car.
I think I would have taken the trade deal. At any rate, I think you could do alot better at a local transmission shop, rather than the dealer.
brenda

United States

#130 Mar 19, 2012
Any one have a Toyota fab 4 2001 for sale that the computer works
Jessica

Woodbridge, Canada

#131 Apr 26, 2012
Irvin wrote:
I have a 2001 RAV4 and have just read several posts regarding problems with the transmission as well as the ECU. According to the blogs, many of the RAV's begin to slip into gears, including mine, and the ECU (transmission computer)does not even indicate any fault. The smell of burning is apparent. Toyota does not want to check the car unless the Engine problem light lights up. The condition of my car worries me as my family and I use the vehicle often.
My vehicle approx. has 100K km. Anyone else experiencing this problem? I live in New Westminster, Canada.
Hi,

I've just been told that my transmission needs to be replaced on my 2001 Rav4 (I only have 132000Km). I was wondering what ever happened to your RAV ... I brought it into a toyota the week before after it stalled and the tech guy couldn't find anything wrong (he couldn't replicate the problem). I continued to drive it and a couple days later it stalled and had to have it towed and was then told it was either the ECU computer or the transmission. Had a new ECU system put in, but the car still didn't drive, therefore, it's the transmission.

Please share your experience with me and let me know if you've ever heard of a recall on the ECU or transmission or if you've heard of an extended warrenty on the parts mentioned above.

Thanks
Jessica Richter
Jessica

Woodbridge, Canada

#132 Apr 26, 2012
Timothy wrote:
I'm from Alberta,Canada.My 2001 Rav4 with only 59,000 km also has ECM/transmission problems.Until last week no noticeable problems with this car except for sometimes sluggish acceleration then suddenly a check engine light showed up accompanied by a jerking when put to reverse gear.Took it to Toyota dealer shop right away,and new ECM was installed.However,three days later the check engine light came on again.Took it back,and now they said the car needs a new tranny.It was $1000 CDN for the ECM,and now a rebuilt tranny to about $5600 installed.I talked to the Dealer's General Manager, pleaded for my case, but because I am past 7 months the 10 year extended warranty offered no help, except if i want to trade the car,he would give me $3000 for it.I am very upset and said no way!My rav4 is in my garage now, pondering what to do with it. I will definitely write to toyota Canada. They should issue a recall regardless of the age of this car.
Hi,

I have just experienced what you describe above. Please let me know you're outcome. I have a case opened and I'm supposed to talk to Toyota Canada tomorrow. Feel free to e-mail me at: jessica.richter2@gmail.com. I would really like to speak to you, our stories are very similar.

Thanks,

Jessica
Joy

United States

#133 Apr 27, 2012
Trudy M Plattsburgh NY wrote:
My RAV4 is in the garage as we speak. I took it in for the recall, but the light didn't come on when the transmission was slipping; so the torque converter overheated, etc etc.....just talked to my mechanic (over $3000.) and my extended guarantee ran out 2 months ago. He also tells me that I need to replace the computer....
same thing happen to my 2001 rav4 but I have 173000 on mine . Light came on about 4 weeks after I had noticed shifting strange. They told me I needed new computer and possibly new transmission.
Glen

Englishtown, NJ

#134 May 5, 2012
My 2001 Rav 4 (160K miles) has been at my local mechanic for over a month. He's waiting for an new computer (ECM) for it. The reason he's had such a hard time finding one is that my Rav is a MANUAL transmission, 2WD model, no remote key entry, no security module ... very basic car.

However, because it's so basic and not your typical model finding a replacement computer is hard to find. However, as he was searching for the computer, many non-toyota parts places said, "oh yeah, he must be having an automatic transmission problem." And of course, I don't be because I don't have an automatic.:-|

Anyway, the symptoms and I don't know if they are all related were in order:
1. car wouldn't start, unless I jiggled my key. Then I re-cut new keys.
2. 6 months later ... engine light --> replaced catalytic converter $1,000
3. 6 months later ... engine began cutting out and dying --> replaced plugs, wires (sort of like major tune-up)$800
4. 2 days later ... engine still cutting out and I had to get towed from my house to mechanic ... engine would not even turn over.
5. two different mechanic diagnosed the problem as needing a new computer.... now waiting for "new/old" computer to arrive.$800 for compter + labor

I'm just that this fixes the problem and my Rav will start so at least I can trade it in for something. Very frustrated as up to now I loved my Rav, but need a running car back in my life.

BTW, a guy I work with told me he has a 2006 Rav 4 (automatic) with 180K miles, and he just replaced his computer for $1,300 with a remanufactured computer, but initially he thought it was a transmission problem.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#135 May 5, 2012
Glen wrote:
My 2001 Rav 4 (160K miles) has been at my local mechanic for over a month. He's waiting for an new computer (ECM) for it. The reason he's had such a hard time finding one is that my Rav is a MANUAL transmission, 2WD model, no remote key entry, no security module ... very basic car.
However, because it's so basic and not your typical model finding a replacement computer is hard to find. However, as he was searching for the computer, many non-toyota parts places said, "oh yeah, he must be having an automatic transmission problem." And of course, I don't be because I don't have an automatic.:-|
Anyway, the symptoms and I don't know if they are all related were in order:
1. car wouldn't start, unless I jiggled my key. Then I re-cut new keys.
2. 6 months later ... engine light --> replaced catalytic converter $1,000
3. 6 months later ... engine began cutting out and dying --> replaced plugs, wires (sort of like major tune-up)$800
4. 2 days later ... engine still cutting out and I had to get towed from my house to mechanic ... engine would not even turn over.
5. two different mechanic diagnosed the problem as needing a new computer.... now waiting for "new/old" computer to arrive.$800 for compter + labor
I'm just that this fixes the problem and my Rav will start so at least I can trade it in for something. Very frustrated as up to now I loved my Rav, but need a running car back in my life.
BTW, a guy I work with told me he has a 2006 Rav 4 (automatic) with 180K miles, and he just replaced his computer for $1,300 with a remanufactured computer, but initially he thought it was a transmission problem.
A manual RAV is certainly rare. But with 160K on it, a catalytic convertor needing to be replaced wouldn't be unheard of, nor would a tuneup. Those are normal maintenance items.
Angie Galaviz

San Jose, CA

#136 May 6, 2012
My 2001 Rav 4 needed a total of 5 sensors replaced within the last year, starting at 120,000 miles. Sensors replaced are two from the catylatic converter(as well as the catylatic converter), the new air mass sensor, idle air control mtr, and the input turbine speed sensor. Currently at 135,000 my car plain turned off as I pressed on the gas pedal upon entering the freeway. No check engine light appeared. It seemed as if the gas pedal was an off switch to the ignition. My Rav turns, it does not turn over to start. I just put a full tank of gas 50 miles ago. Could this be a recall, or maybe another needed sensor?
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#137 May 7, 2012
Angie Galaviz wrote:
My 2001 Rav 4 needed a total of 5 sensors replaced within the last year, starting at 120,000 miles. Sensors replaced are two from the catylatic converter(as well as the catylatic converter), the new air mass sensor, idle air control mtr, and the input turbine speed sensor. Currently at 135,000 my car plain turned off as I pressed on the gas pedal upon entering the freeway. No check engine light appeared. It seemed as if the gas pedal was an off switch to the ignition. My Rav turns, it does not turn over to start. I just put a full tank of gas 50 miles ago. Could this be a recall, or maybe another needed sensor?
An 11 year old car with 120 thousand miles on it? Recall? Really?
Richard c

Pontiac, MI

#138 May 7, 2012
daisy wrote:
I have a Rav4 2003 which is having check light engine problems and it seems to be slipping into gears for about a month or so. I'm taking it to the dealer today. Anyone have any input on 2003's?
yes their is a recall on the transmission controll modual. I had the same problem.
gringo loco

Waltham, MA

#139 May 24, 2012
anis abed wrote:
hi there,
i just bought a 2001 toyota rav4 with 69000 miles on it,i have no problem right now, can anyone tell
me how to know if my car will have the same issues witch people are complaining ?
thank you so much
. you are a idiot.
JPL

Kent, WA

#140 Jun 21, 2012
I agree with Lisa in California. I have 2001 Toyota Rav4 and have had similar problems not to go to much into it. My latest is my check engine light came on a local mechanic switched it off. He said I need a new catalytic converter but I think it has to do with the computer problem. Anyway not wasting any more money just biding my time. If there is ever a lawsuit, I want some of that!
BILLK

Pittsburgh, PA

#141 Aug 2, 2012
I have a 2001 rav4 and it has 155,000 miles on it, about two years ago it started shifting funny, it would shift fine going from first to second but when it tried to shift from second to third it would neutral out and rev real high before going into gear with a bang, i took it to toyota and they told me that it was the ecm and not the tranny, $1200 later they said the problem was solved, never telling me that toyota knew about the problem, about 4 months ago it started to have the same problem, this time i took it to my mechanic and he pulled the tranny pan and found metal shavings in it and said the tranny was shot, when i told him about the ecm problem he said that the tranny could have been damaged then and when it started doing it again it finished the tranny, it's going to cost me $3500 and toyota said good luck, this is a problem they have known about since at least 2006 and did nothing about it, between my wife and i we have owned 8 toyota's since 1985, i will never buy another one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota RAV4 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
05 rav4 intermittent starting problem (Mar '09) Dec 1 liner 42
2007 RAV4 Chirping noise from right rear Oct '14 Anonymous 1
Battery Indicator doesn't turn off Oct '14 JDMRav4 1
Toyota Rav 4 - Noise (Mar '06) Sep '14 liner 171
Toyota recalls 370,000 minivans (May '14) Jul '14 Anonymous Canada 22
Toyota workers in Canada to vote on joining Uni... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Lear ajax 1
iPod Connection in the 2008 Rav4 console. (Apr '08) May '14 nameless 16
More from around the web