kpao

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

So, I purchased a 1989 Toyota Corolla for my teenage daughter. The first time she got gas, it leaked... a lot. I took it in to a repair shop and they said it was the filler tube, that it was rusted out. I purchased a filler tube and brought it for repair. When I picked it up, he said something about he had to use bondo on it. Tonight, just as she was setting off to drive to Denver (from Chicago), she called me from a gas station and says its leaking again, only worse. I have to wonder if the gas would be eating away at the bondo? Is this not something that should be used where gas is involved? Does anyone know anything about this? I'm afraid to have this guy re-do the job, but I don't have the money to bring it elsewhere.
liner

Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2012

kpao wrote:
So, I purchased a 1989 Toyota Corolla for my teenage daughter. The first time she got gas, it leaked... a lot. I took it in to a repair shop and they said it was the filler tube, that it was rusted out. I purchased a filler tube and brought it for repair. When I picked it up, he said something about he had to use bondo on it. Tonight, just as she was setting off to drive to Denver (from Chicago), she called me from a gas station and says its leaking again, only worse. I have to wonder if the gas would be eating away at the bondo? Is this not something that should be used where gas is involved? Does anyone know anything about this? I'm afraid to have this guy re-do the job, but I don't have the money to bring it elsewhere.
Attaching a new filler tube to an old tank with Bondo is certainly not going to last. I'm sure there are better adhesives and methods for the job than that. I know money's tight but I would find another shop. Gas is too dangerous to fool around with.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Toyota Corolla Discussions

Search the Toyota Corolla Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Toyota Corolla ABS Speed Sensor (Mar '11) Apr 14 liner 15
Parking brake light coming on when parking brak... (Nov '10) Apr 4 liner 8
1997 toyota corolla vibration (Dec '09) Apr 4 liner 11
2010 Toyota Corolla Problem (Jun '10) Mar 25 Pdrizzle 24
Toyota recalls thousands of Avalons, Lexus SUVs... (Aug '10) Mar 24 Dodger 5
Vapor Canister (Sep '06) Mar 22 Carl Leeth 291
2003 Corolla...catalytic converter (Dec '08) Mar 19 o3 ca corolla 200
•••

Buy a New Car