Toyota Corolla Filler Neck

Posted in the Toyota Corolla Forum

kpao

Denver, CO

#1 Jun 4, 2012
So, I purchased a 1989 Toyota Corolla for my teenage daughter. The first time she got gas, it leaked... a lot. I took it in to a repair shop and they said it was the filler tube, that it was rusted out. I purchased a filler tube and brought it for repair. When I picked it up, he said something about he had to use bondo on it. Tonight, just as she was setting off to drive to Denver (from Chicago), she called me from a gas station and says its leaking again, only worse. I have to wonder if the gas would be eating away at the bondo? Is this not something that should be used where gas is involved? Does anyone know anything about this? I'm afraid to have this guy re-do the job, but I don't have the money to bring it elsewhere.
liner

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Jun 6, 2012
kpao wrote:
So, I purchased a 1989 Toyota Corolla for my teenage daughter. The first time she got gas, it leaked... a lot. I took it in to a repair shop and they said it was the filler tube, that it was rusted out. I purchased a filler tube and brought it for repair. When I picked it up, he said something about he had to use bondo on it. Tonight, just as she was setting off to drive to Denver (from Chicago), she called me from a gas station and says its leaking again, only worse. I have to wonder if the gas would be eating away at the bondo? Is this not something that should be used where gas is involved? Does anyone know anything about this? I'm afraid to have this guy re-do the job, but I don't have the money to bring it elsewhere.
Attaching a new filler tube to an old tank with Bondo is certainly not going to last. I'm sure there are better adhesives and methods for the job than that. I know money's tight but I would find another shop. Gas is too dangerous to fool around with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toyota Corolla Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Toyota Corolla ABS Speed Sensor (Mar '11) Fri pluda 19
Honda builds its 300 millionth motorcycle Dec 1 SHlTWORMDAEGUDEBD... 9
2010 Toyota Corolla Problem (Jun '10) Nov '14 Tracy 26
2009 toyota corolla Alternator decoupler pulley Nov '14 itchofgolf 1
2009 Corolla Stock Radio Display goes Blank. (Jul '08) Oct '14 david_j 100
Toyota explains what names like Camry and Yaris... Oct '14 Ma Mopar 1
How do I fix the clicking noise when I steer my... Oct '14 msalman3 1
More from around the web