2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7L stalling and surging or stuttering

Posted in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
victoryrules

Portland, ME

#1 Jun 3, 2009
The engine surges at around 1000-1500rpm while just barely on the throttle and maintaining speed around 25-40mph. Also has stalling issues once in a great while just coming onto the throttle and a hesitation around the 1000-1200 rpm area. Any help would greatly appreciated...
king9988

United States

#2 Sep 1, 2009
I have this same problem with my 05 JGC 4.7L V8. If I let it sit overnight, it tends to stall in the AM when I first start running it at low RPMs.(Basically when I hit one of the 2 red lights from my house). Anyone know what could be causing this?
anthony

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Mar 13, 2010
i have a 06 jgc 3.7 and it does the same thing, im a mechanic and ran a test on my fuel pump module and it gets low voltage at a low rpm which causes it to stutter at low speeds, will take to dealer cause its still under warranty and i dont like electrical lol
B-Rad

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Mar 26, 2010
My 05 Grand Cherokee 4.7 stumbles, studders and chugges when going over bumps, potholes, railroad tracks. Acts like it's loosing an electrical connection to the engine. Dealer can't find it. I've checked all the connectors I can find. Anyone else?
roger

Genoa City, WI

#5 Apr 17, 2010
have a 2005 jeep grand cherokee, 4.7 come to a stop or light , engine kills, starts right up , runs good high speed, i have replaced the idle air control motor, and the throttle position sensor, and new battery, seems to always stall when in gear, come up to stop and into netral, doesnt kill, any answers, thanks roger
lkempf

Evansville, IN

#6 May 24, 2010
B-Rad wrote:
My 05 Grand Cherokee 4.7 stumbles, studders and chugges when going over bumps, potholes, railroad tracks. Acts like it's loosing an electrical connection to the engine. Dealer can't find it. I've checked all the connectors I can find. Anyone else?
I think that is caused by the electronic stability control. it cuts fuel to the engine when it loses traction.
B-Rad

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Jun 18, 2010
Well I found the problem!!! The EGR valve was defective. It was causing drivability issues for thousands of miles but not enough to set codes in the computer. The engine light finally came on and it was the EGR code. New one has been installed and it drives great!! This is a follow up to my post earlier on my 05 Grand Cherokee 4.7 liter.
Barb

Spring, TX

#8 Jul 20, 2010
I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I've had the idling and surging problems as well. The dealership couldn't detect the problem. Now I think I have another issue, when I speed up the rpm hand doesn't move past 2000 and then at a red light it almost stopped. Is this the same problem related to the EGR valve?
Mike

Fort Wayne, IN

#9 Sep 6, 2010
I have a 2005 Cherokee 5.7L Hemi and when I am at a constant speed between 40 and 50mph the jeep has a stutter to it. At any other speed it drives just fine. Has anyone had this problem.
Mike in Cal

San Luis Obispo, CA

#10 Nov 20, 2010
Mike wrote:
I have a 2005 Cherokee 5.7L Hemi and when I am at a constant speed between 40 and 50mph the jeep has a stutter to it. At any other speed it drives just fine. Has anyone had this problem.
I have the same problem with my hemi. They say it is the Torque converter lock on grabbing. Mine does it at aprox 45, 55, 65 and 75 mph while slowly accelerating or decelerating. Torque converter was replaced but problem persists. Dealer now saying it is normal but it never did it before 67,000 miles.
mcvaigh

Reading, UK

#11 Dec 16, 2010
my 5.7 hemi jeep 05,at 55 to 58 stutters when on very light throttle to ,but fine at lower and faster speeds,been told it could be tc or fueling or engine heat sensor does anyone know the answer to this seemingly common issue ,shaun
Will

Manning, SC

#12 Feb 8, 2011
same problem on my JGC LMTD HEMI, the only fix is to replace the EGR Valve and Gasket
Mopar runs about $160 at my local dealership, but there are several wholesale Mopar site online you can get it for under $50, with the gasket, easy instal if you know i little about mechanics.
Scott

Frisco, TX

#13 Feb 11, 2011
Will wrote:
same problem on my JGC LMTD HEMI, the only fix is to replace the EGR Valve and Gasket
Mopar runs about $160 at my local dealership, but there are several wholesale Mopar site online you can get it for under $50, with the gasket, easy instal if you know i little about mechanics.
Where is the EGR valve located? I need to change mine out and bought the part. I have been told it is at the front right of the 5.7L HEMI. Any tips on this?

Thanks!
07 hemi overland

Canada

#14 Mar 15, 2011
I'm going to do my egr today, I have all the same symptoms plus it stalled a couple times over the weekend. I will post news once done

Btw you should all change your spark plugs and run some Lucas injector cleaner.

Egr is lOcated on top of engine on passenger side
Elliott

San Francisco, CA

#15 Mar 19, 2011
Somebody help me out here, I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L hemi V8 model, I start up the car drive it for a couple hundred yards, then when I come to a stop, I notice my RPM basically drop to zero for a slipt second then back up to .5 RPM where it stays at when the car idles, when that happends my "check oil" light instantly flickers on, then the car shuts down. It's still in drive and everything. What I do is put it in park, and turn the car off and back on myself with they key, then its all good, it starts up and goes without a problem, it will shut down on me like that at least one time a day mainly in the morning it seems like.
Sue

Garner, NC

#16 Apr 17, 2011
Elliott wrote:
Somebody help me out here, I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L hemi V8 model, I start up the car drive it for a couple hundred yards, then when I come to a stop, I notice my RPM basically drop to zero for a slipt second then back up to .5 RPM where it stays at when the car idles, when that happends my "check oil" light instantly flickers on, then the car shuts down. It's still in drive and everything. What I do is put it in park, and turn the car off and back on myself with they key, then its all good, it starts up and goes without a problem, it will shut down on me like that at least one time a day mainly in the morning it seems like.
I have similar problem. Bought jgc '05 5.7 hemi from a dear friend. Well, maintained. Computer replaced when vehicle was apprx 1 yr old. Stalled while driving.@-2--11 i pulled in walgreen pkg lot and it cut off while in gear. Re cranked just fine. Took to dealership next am..........couldn't find a problem. 2 days ago same thing happened at grocery store. But did restart and drove. A lot of the time it seems like the transmission is slipping.......dealership says no. Friends ride with me and they notice it. Jerks a lot. The cutting off while driving scares me. Called dealership Fri and all they can suggest is replace computer again even though it shows no codes. I'm at a total loss. Please can someone help me? Thanks
Paul

San Antonio, TX

#17 Apr 25, 2011
I have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee with the small V8 engine. Occasionally (once a week) when I start the car and drive a few yards and stop at my exit gate the engine surges and sometimes stalls. I restart and problem gone. Recently the problem escalated. Now as the engine surges the transmission appears to go into neutral, the engine revs, the transmission goes into gear with a jolt and the dash shift indicator showing (3) and the check engine light comes on. If I keep driving the transmission cannot get out of (3) even manually. I then shut the ignition off and restart and problem gone. The problem only occurs at start up. After that the Jeep performs normally.

I am being told by the dealer that it is a transmission problem and need it rebuilt. If that were the case why would the vehicle perform normally after restart? Any suggestions?
Jonah

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Jul 9, 2011
I've got a 2005 jeep grand cherokee and I cleaned the intake manifold out which seemed to eliminate the problem of stalling when coming to a stop.
Software Update

Falls Church, VA

#19 Jul 14, 2011
I have an 05 JGC 4.7 The transmission software was updated and tranny fluid changed. Then the dealership had the transmission "re-learn" how to shift and it hardly ever stalls now when coming to a stop. Mine still surges at startup and I think it's acting like it's a bad TPS. I'll replace it tomorrow and see what happens.
AussiejeepMan

Perth, Australia

#20 Aug 4, 2011
I, too, have Grand with the 5.7 Hemi. And I also had the problem of the car consistently catching at any speed. I fixed the problem by filling it with 98 octane premium. But I am also told the EMS (engine management system) can play up and try to turn off half the engine. So far that hasn't happened to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Transmission problems (Aug '06) 8 hr Travis 117
Left Brake Light -- 2001 Grand Cherokee (Dec '06) 13 hr Angie 472
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stalls while driving o... (May '11) 19 hr Jeep Problem 63
95 jeep grand cherokee limted (Feb '07) Sat Jason m 210
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo stalling problem (Jan '09) Fri Jenn 106
Heater control lights not working (Jan '11) Fri karey 21
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 problems???????? (Dec '06) Dec 18 Tandy Phillips 223
More from around the web