Jason

Gloucester, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2012

Add me to the list of 2000 Ford Taurus owners with complete transmission failures, and at only 68,400 miles on it. Just like many others, without warning the transmission gave out. No 1st, 2nd, D or R. Just a funny whining noise. I was towed to the nearby AAMCO shop and the mechanic simply replied "Yep, very common with the Taurus", and then he pointed to two others in the lot with the same problem. Estimate to repair is $2.5k

As for recalls to the issue. Because it's over 10 years old and unless the Consumer Product Safety Commission steps in for safety concerns, Ford is off the hook. http://www.saferproducts.gov/
cgragg

Sanford, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2012

I had a 1996 Taurus a few years back that had some major tranny problems. Sometimes it would run normal and sometimes it would stall when going into gear or taking off. I think that this has been a long time issue with these cars and I was hoping they would resolve the problem because other that the tranny I loved the car. Does anyone know if they have fixed this in newer models?
Sylvia

Fredericktown, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

I have a 2000 ford taurus i wass having check engine light come on sayig miss fires even after i changed the spark plugs and wires coils my car has issues in revese the transmmison is slipping they said but i am still having issues when i drive it forward after starting the car and putting in drive or even cominng from stop sign its like it has no power then it does and drives fine until i slow down or speed up what is wrong with my car
lovecorruption

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2012

the trans pump shaft strips and wont pump any fluid parts only cost 150 but has to be pulled to fix
pooh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2012

First my gears were switched when in neutral it drive in park it reversed etc now when i turn the car on all gears drive? And my water pump has leak earlier i was driving smoke came out the hood on the side where the water pump is anyone know whays wrong?
Travis

Oneonta, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2012

I'm disappointed with my 2000 Ford Taurus. Bought it 10 months ago for 4k with only 29000 miles on it. Driving home from New York to New Hampshire one day the transmission suddenly gave out on me going up a hill and I began to roll backwards down the hill. Torque convert shredded apart, metal pieces throughout the transmission, 2300 to have it rebuilt. Now the transmission light is coming on with a code saying the wrong resistance is being read from the transmission temperature sensor, being that the transmission is on warranty they replaced the sensor three times now along with all of the wiring in the transmission, but the light is still flashing off and on. Now it sounds that my PCM is junk and needs to be replaced. I've spent more money fixing this car in ten months than I spent in 3 years on my 94 Bronco with 202,000 miles.
Tom

Oakboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Mike wrote:
Did you find out what was wrong with your car? That just happened to me and I have no idea what went wrong. I don't want to take it to the shop and they say needs new tranny if it doesn't. Would appreciate reply.
Check out the type of transmission that your Taurus has. It is the same one that the 1995 and newer Windstar has. and it a real piece of crap...Windstar by 60,000 starts to have troubles...By 80,000 its most likely gone and has to be rebuilt...The clutch goes out and or the A1 shift solenoid in side pan...Neutral switch is also the problem with shifting issues...But due to being computer controlled. One issues has a real effect on other areas of the transmission as well as the engine performance...Read the codes and have the pans checked for metal...Good luck...
f dord

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2012

They suck balls
Johno

Fishers, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2012

2000 Taurus 73K miles..Great car. Once about every 3 to 5 months I get a big (10" square) dump of xmission fluid on the garage floor. I clean it up and I never even see a drop until the next incident. Any great words of wisdom on this problem? I sure do not plan to take it in for a check until I know more this problem.
Conner

Troy, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

I have a 2000 ford Taurus and my problem is that I won't always start moving I have to accelerate very slow to move if I try to acelerate to fast I stay still and the engine revs. Does anybody know what might be wrong and how much it will cost?
ford HATER

Wyandotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 18, 2012

My 2000 Taurus ....same thing ...turned a corner and went to accelerate and bam.....NOTHING...luckily had a good roll going and managed to get it into a parking lot. Thinking now.....should I set fire to it or scrap it!
Jonny Reckless

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

Mike wrote:
Did you find out what was wrong with your car? That just happened to me and I have no idea what went wrong. I don't want to take it to the shop and they say needs new tranny if it doesn't. Would appreciate reply.
Probably bad transmission pump shaft. Put in a new torque converter while you're at it, the lining on new Fords are waaaay to thin.

Flush will waste time and unless they pull the pan and clean off screens, it does more harm than good.
RICH

Scottdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2012

I HAVE AN 01 TAURUS WITH 207,000 MILES AND IT JUST STARTED ACTING STRANGE IN OVER DRIVE, IT HESITATES AND SEEMS NOT TO WANT TO DOWNSHIFT, HOWEVER IT RUNS AND SHIFTS IN NORMAL DRIVE, I AM THE THIRD OWNER.. ANY IDEA'S????
reddog69

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

I have a 2000 tauras w/119,000 miles no problinoes wonderful car.
Doug

Meadville, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2012

I just purchased a 2000 Taurus wagon with 78000 miles on it. Had it one week now and stoped at an intersection and then tried to go threw and the car quit. It had a grinding sound like maybe a stripped gear thing. Now it wont move in any gear. Does anybody have an answer on what it may be? Thank You
tony

Sheboygan, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

same with mine but it still running though but i have to replace my transmission and i have 17000 miles on it so i got a good use to it and the reason they go out is ec you dont keep up on your transmission by flushing it every year that y they say do it every year and if you paying for a new transmission for 2700 you getting ripped of bec it dont cost that much i getting a brand new one for 1500 that it with a free flush for a full year and people like to push the gas paddle down to fast in the tauris people got to think they didnt make this car to be ast and quik like most car you got to go slow on the paddle it the reason you guys ar blowing your transimsion that fast look at me mine went at 170000 i got alot of miles on it and i took care of it the whole time with transmission flush every year and keep it tunned up
IndyGirl12

Matthews, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

WOW! I have the same problem as everyone else. Didnt expect to find this many problems. I was driving with my two kids on the way to the Dr because we were all sick and then made a left turn and within 20-30 feet later it just stopped accelerating. I let it roll to a complete stop. Car turns on and off and when i put it in different gears and step on the gas it wont move at all. I did hear a bit of a high pitch noise as the rmps moved up. I also found a spring and i have no idea where it came from. Needless to say i had it towed home and my kids and I were stuck on a county road for over an hour because of this crappy car! Its a 2001 Ford Taurus and has about 154K miles. I had a guy (who isnt a mechanic) look at it and say he thought it was probably the torque converter. I see others have found that wrong too. I pray that will fix it and its NOT the tranny cus i am disabled and waiting on disability. I cant even afford Christmas for my kids and now this!? Im about to lose my damn mind. And i just bought it in Feb from a used car shop and the guy sold me a crappy C.A.R.S. warranty and it wont cover anything i got going on they said. I hope that FORD mans up and recalls these P.O.S. cars!!!
Vincent jacobs

Lexington, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Hi I have a 2002 ford Taurus sea the past week I have had some problems with the transmission leaking oil it was coming from the front of the car by the radiator got that fixed but now it seems to be slipping is that happening because of the oil leaking out all of the oil came out I put some Lucas oil in it and 3 courts of oil will it stop our do I have problems starting thank you
Brittany

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

i own 2000 ford taurus and i got it off of a guy that had it for sale its use but really nice shape on outside and inside.. but he told me the head gasket was goin bad and he wanted 1000 dollars for it.. so i drove it for awhile. then had the gasket fixed it took a pretty penny too! and even i got the gasket fixed he still leaked anti freeze right under the plastic container that holds the coolant.. so im just lost ive tried replacing almost everything my dad could think of and it still leaks but isnt over heating. sometimes i will leak then other times it doesnt. DOES NE one know what could b the prob??? also my check engine light just on and it was leaing a lil bit of oil so i had to put more in it.. ive had alot of probs with this car and it upsets me bc its in such good shape! and its my first actual car i bought on my own. if ne one knows why it could still be leaking coolant plz i need some advice! i cant really afford another car right now! I also head on these cars that they had alot of recalls on them after they were made and i seen on the online there are recalls also..makes me so mad!!i see ALOT of people have almost the same probs on the same car !!
scvcando

Douglas, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2013

I have a 2000 Taurus w/ 24 Valve DOHC. 210,000. Generally has been a great car. Had some trouble with vacuum leaks about two years ago. Went through and put new gaskets on upper and lower air intakes. Also found a collapsed hose that was impossible to see under the air intake tube that went from there to the PVC valve. Wider at the top and then narrowed and only a couple of inches long--COMPLETELY collapsed. The vac. leak (& probably collapsed tube together) caused hesitation and sometimes complete stopping at lights. Would restart but have bucking and lousy acceleration, also wrecked the gas mpg. Cured the problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 161 - 180 of188
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Ford Taurus Forum right now

Search the Ford Taurus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Speedometer not working (Feb '07) Apr 16 Kelly 31
Clunking noise from front suspenion (Jan '07) Apr 14 Biki 7
leak on passenger side through firewall (Oct '06) Apr 11 i no 15
2002 Taurus springs (Mar '06) Apr 7 my 2002 taurus spring 149
Unexplained electrical problem with son's 1999 ... (Sep '06) Apr 6 miaachelle 269
1995 taurus 3.0L momentary power loss or somet... (Apr '06) Apr 5 raw 14
2001 Taurus Headlights Mar 28 Victor Miller 1
•••

Buy a New Car

Zipcode:
•••
•••
•••