Petersburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

Hi,

Just recently, I have been having some problems with my '03 Ford Taurus (120,000 miles). I have had no work done to it recently by a mechanic and I have done nothing to it myself. My problem first happened when I was driving about 50-55mph when all of the sudden, all of the lights on the dashboard (like ABS, oil, brake light, low gas etc) lighted up like a Christmas tree and then I lost all power to the engine. I hit the gas pedal several times with no response but in about 5-8 seconds later, the car started up by itself with an abrupt and violent jerk forward. It was almost as if I turned the key in the ignition to the off position and then quickly back on ..

This has happened three times already. Once, while I was sitting at a red light, I noticed a whole lot of weird stuff going on. The headlights were dimming in and out, the light on the radio (that green light that lights up the controls) was also dimming in and out, and the odometer needle was jumping up and down between 0mph and 5mph. Suddenly, the car
shut off with all the dashboard lights lighting up again and then quickly shut off. The car started up again with no problem whatsoever and I was able to get to my destination no problem.

I brought the car to my mechanic and he couldn't find a problem and even couldn't recreate the problem after driving it for a while. I really need help because I'm a student commuting to college on a busy interstate (85). This is a really frustrating problem.
Please, any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Jeffery Trader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 9, 2007

Sounds like a gound issue. Try checking the battery terminals for corrision or see if they are loose. Thats about the only simple thing I can think of other then the PCM loosing power or starting to short.
Kyle Geisler

Freeport, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2008

Hey man I'm haveing the same problem, all the dealerships are telling me they dont know what it is because my check engine never comes on. Let me know if you find anything out i will do the same for you. My email is kyleg@cartermotor.com
Joan Sharp

Parsons, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2009

The same thing has happen to my 2002 Ford Taurus last summer. My engine light came on and the panel light showing that my doors are open. This past winter while I was driving (in the dark) my headlights (on automatic) just went off. Had to quickly turn them on manual. The doors lock and unlock while I am driving. Sometimes the dome light will not go off and the alarm goes off just sitting there. I have had it look at twice and put on the machine but they cannot find out what is wrong with it. Anyone out there know??
Linc

Metamora, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2010

Did you ever get a solution to this problem. I am now experiencing the very same issue on my 2002. Mine has the Duratech and I wonder if others have the same issue.
Dawn

Florissant, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2010

I'm having the same problem with my 2007 Taurus SEL. I have about 63,000 miles on it and it started doing this about a month ago. I have taking it to 3 different mechanics and no one seems to know what it is. I have a long commute between home and school and pray that it doesn't happen on the highway.
Has anyone had luck with getting this issue resolved?
Christian rodriguez

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2010

It probably needs a complete tune up, or your ignition switch needs to be replaced.
Joan

Elkins, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2010

Well, my mechanic unhooked the alarm system and now I don't have any problems with it. You may want to try that. I quit using the automatic lights over 2 years ago....they would go off in the middle of the night while driving. Keep that in mind.
scotty

Clovis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2011

same exact problem, changed the fuel filter and went good for a couple of days and then back to the same delima,, whats wrong with it??????????
scotty

Clovis, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2011

its an 03 with only 58k miles by the way
Harold_Miller_S_ F_Mayor

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

I have a 1997 Taurus and when the power steering goes out the radio goes off, just the sound even the tape player won't work, HELP haroldbigal007@yahoo.com Write-in Harold miller 4 San Francisco Mayor to help out the OCCUPY- S.F. and Oakland
Rockstarmarketin g

Camarillo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

I have a 2002 that had this issue. When driving on freeway would shut off and violently start itself. I took to my mechanic and he changed the fuel filter. The radio would make a noise like it was shorting out this was due to car about to shut off. The issue is the crankshaft sensor. This sends a signal to the ECM computer that car is off and it shut off. The computer then realizes its on and runs again. The censor will act up once in a while only before it completely goes dead causing car mot to start When replacing this you must replace the cam shaft censor as well. Cost about 300$ for part and labor. As far as the speedometer jumping up and down these cars are known to have the sppedometer censor that goes bad. If you are at a stop an it jumps up and down not worth fixing. It's like 400$. Best of luck
Manny

Culver City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2012

THANK YOU!
kristy

Cypress, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2012

My car does the same thing I have already spent over a 1000.00 I am a single mother and I am concerned for the safety of my children as well as my financial future. If I have to keep spending money on a car that no one seems to know what the problem is. Please help!! Car shuts off then comes back on going down highway. Surges and revs at stop lights.
elioutt

Empire, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2012

dude ,it is your switch on top of the transmission . it costs $32.00
or it is out of adjustment.
put it in park and move it all the way back,after loosening the screws.
them tighten the screws back down.
emmmmdot at gmail

Willingboro, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2013

My 2003 ford zaurus is doing the same thing. changed the spark plugs. it seemed to help a bit.
Ted

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2013

I have a 2002 taurus that is shutting off going down the road and starting back up on its own. Yesterday i turned on the key and it did not do anything, just like the battery was dead. While i was looking under the hood, the radio came on and i started the car right up. any help. email ted.rickmond@gmail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Ford Taurus Forum right now

Search the Ford Taurus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
99 Ford Taurus Stalling Out While Driving (Jun '08) Jul 21 Anita 55
No dash lights & turn signal arrows stay on (Dec '10) Jul 20 Rick 3
'99 Ford Taurus leaking from the firewall (Dec '06) Jul 6 jason 55
Service Engine Soon light problem (Jul '09) Jul 3 Manoel Brandao Neto 6
my air won't switch over Jun '14 lavisa 1
Speedometer not working (Feb '07) Jun '14 christina 32
Unexplained electrical problem with son's 1999 ... (Sep '06) Jun '14 Don 271
•••

Buy a New Car