GA Brown

Woodstock, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2007

Original owner of 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6 with 121K miles having rough idle when starting cold and is light throughout the day. Problem is not consistent so mechanic will not look at until all the time. I suspect it is either exhaust, fuel, or ignition related. Anyone else out there have a similar problem?
John T

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

Yes, my Escape 2001, 116K miles. Is doing exactly the same thing!
fford

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Judged:

these cars are junk! go with toyota 0r honda! craps! turns out airleaks intake & bad oxygen senor.
TexasTiger

Deer Park, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2007

Judged:

I would check the IAC (Idle Air Control module), I had the problem that my escape would have a rough time starting and it got worse over time. Not said that this is the problem, but worth checking into. Hope it helps
steve in missouri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2007

I have the same problem, anyone asked a mechanic? I did and he said to bring it in for 200 dollars worth of testing.
KSims

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

My wife's 2001 Escape idles very rough when 1st started for the day, and gets a little better when warm, but still a rough idle.
I've changed all the spark plugs (that was fun) and air filter. STILL runs like crap at idle and when cold.
Jeremy

Lowry City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

It runs like crap because a coil or 2 isn't firing, as for the cause of why I am currently working on how to troubleshoot this problem.
lu Petersen

Aguilar, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2008

I have a 2001 Ford escape with 40,000 miles. You can get out of the passenger door but you cannot open it from the outside. My friend has the same problem. Mc Mullen Ford in Council Bluffs Ia. wants 400 dollars to fix it. Then it may happen again. I think Ford should have a recall on this problem.
Mazlan

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2008

Escape 2.0 A XLT 2001 198,000km
IAC Problem.
Switch off A/C at traffic light or stop so that engine won't dies off. Not working when reversing.
Already spent too much last month.
Change the battery today.
IAC will have to wait until payday !
Jas0n

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2008

IAC is the problem more than likely.
TMM

Kent, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2008

lu Petersen wrote:
I have a 2001 Ford escape with 40,000 miles. You can get out of the passenger door but you cannot open it from the outside. My friend has the same problem. Mc Mullen Ford in Council Bluffs Ia. wants 400 dollars to fix it. Then it may happen again. I think Ford should have a recall on this problem.
I have the same problem with the driver side front door and my driver side back door won't even open. Did you ever find out how to fix? I heard they can be reset when unlocking the door and holding the door handle in the open positions. Of course this did not work for me...
Leo Martinez

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2008

lu Petersen wrote:
The problem is the outside door handle broke. My wife's 2001 Escape had the problem on both front doors. I had to order the part and removed the inside door panel to replace them. Part was around $30, took about an hour. Chiltons manual had the procedure. Be careful with the electrical switches. I had to replace one because I got too rough disconnecting it.
Thunt64

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

Jas0n wrote:
IAC is the problem more than likely.
Do you folks know you can go to Auto Zone and they will do a free OBD II scan on your vehicle? It'll take about 3 minutes for them to do the scan and print out the results...with a list of possible causes. Don't pay a dealer for $200 worth of testing or listen to people guessing what could be wrong.
Chris ase mechanic

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2008

KSims wrote:
My wife's 2001 Escape idles very rough when 1st started for the day, and gets a little better when warm, but still a rough idle.
I've changed all the spark plugs (that was fun) and air filter. STILL runs like crap at idle and when cold.
This problem is common in the Escape more then likely you have a bad IAC valve or a leak somewhere if you want some tips on how to find the leak email me I dont mind helping its what I do for a living.CHRIS G - GKRACINGCHRIS@YAHOO.com
Chris ase mechanic

Augusta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2008

Contact me for any questions on Ford vehicles I work with ford and have been a mechanic for only 10 years. Thankyou
waldo

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

who="GA Brown"]Original owner of 2001 Ford Escape XLT V6 with 121K miles having rough idle when starting cold... yeah i had the same problem and spent a cpuple ofhundreds. you are havin a leakin the ehaust manifolds your gaskets are cheap and worn ou. i went to oreilys auto and got the whole set for 8.99 here is the link let me know if it works or if you have any questions hit me up on my email waldemar_montalvo@yahoo.com i just got my escape running smooth about a week ago and this is where i started my research. later good luck waldo
http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail....
waldo

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

ohhh did i forget to mention i got 2 new ignition coils, pvc valve replaced idle sensor . i did all the work myself so labor wise i save a boat load of money to change those gasket it was ...what the dude said "mechanic" he was absolutely right about the problem, but parts wise it was not going to be 30-35 bucks i only paid 8.99 so all toghether the mechanic was going to make from me 225 dollars and i anly spent about 2 hours changing all gaskets.. this is not only for GA BROWN THIS IS FOR ANY ONE . i know guys that jerking in the morning is a pain in the a@#. i delat with it fro a month or so and i am very happy the way my for escape 2001 runs. just like anytjing else you have to maintanance.
Jbird

Jacksonville, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

My 2001 Ford Escape is having trouble starting especially in the am or after sitting all day at work. It won't start unless I give it gas, which I know you are not supposed to do, but it is the only way to get it going. I can smell gas also, I am sure it is from pumping gas pedal. Any thoughts? Of course when I took it in, it started right up for the mechanics!!
waldo

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2008

thats cause your gasket are out. read my peice.. JBIRD and let me know whats up i am trying to tell you guys this escapes are very bad with there gaskets. very commond problem . trust me man . my email is above yours if any questions dude .
3sweetpea

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Chris ase mechanic wrote:
<quoted text>
This problem is common in the Escape more then likely you have a bad IAC valve or a leak somewhere if you want some tips on how to find the leak email me I dont mind helping its what I do for a living.CHRIS G - GKRACINGCHRIS@YAHOO.com
Hi Chris,

As described by others in this forum, I have been having the morning shuddering problem with my 2001 6 cylinder Ford Escape. I did replace the IAC valve although I am not yet sure that has solved the problem. I also intend to replace the spark plugs because my mileage is 102,000 plus. Is is safe and would it be better for me to have the Motorcraft double platinum plugs installed. Also, should they cost that much more than other brands? I do not yet have a quote but Midas says they will. Also, how much should the upper and lower intake gaskets you mentioned in the forum cost to replace?

Thank you very much.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Ford Escape Forum right now

Search the Ford Escape Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
historique d'un vehicule Jul 23 fofesco 1
2001 Escape V6 misfire and shuddering (Mar '07) Jul 22 kennedy chishimba 189
2003 Ford Escape Ignition Switch Problems (Feb '07) Jul 10 Ray L 48
Ford's New CEO Wants to Revive the Stodgy Linco... Jul 8 KDN 1
2001 Escape w/ automatic transmission stuck in ... (Oct '09) Jul 5 zzzz 38
2003 ford escape (Jun '06) Jul 4 Ryan 102
2006 ford escape Jun 29 Ramon 1
•••

Buy a New Car